Site Sponsors

Thread: which 80mm Planar from these 3 lens are the best ?

Post Thanks / Like

which 80mm Planar from these 3 lens are the best ?

Hi there,

I've pretty much narrowed down 3 bodies and each body comes as a package with a specific version of the 80mm Zeiss 2.8 lens . Now, which one is the best / most recent ?

I believe that , according to my research ( bear in my that my research on the V system started 4-5 days ago... ) this one seems to me being the oldest hence less desirable one :

After a small price jump we have this one , which seems less old than the previous ( and actually seems to be the body / lens combo that I will buy ) :

Last but not least, on the very brink of my budget is this one ( actually is a tad off ) but seems to be the newest ( or newer... ) of these three :

The "bang on" price is in the second version, its a 500CM . On the bad side of things, we have the latest one in the series, which is a 501CM ; I know ( and checked with the dealer ) that the 501CM does come with a improved finder but we are talking 699£ vs 999£ . Apart from the finder and minor body difference ( GDS, etc ) , is the lens difference ( from the second to the third ) justifies the price difference ?

By the way, the first of them all, its a 501C, the lens seems the oldest of all three , being the price in the middle ( 799£ ).

But the difference of a 501C vs 500CM ( to what I've read and I did a lot ! ) a 500CM seems perfectly fine for me.. so the difference here is the lens and funny enough the 500CM + lens combo here seems the best overall ( price wise )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: which 80mm Planar from these 3 lens are the best ?

Yes, the first is a C, the second a CF and the third a CFE or CFi, most likely, although there was some overlap in lens body design as the models changed. I believe that the CF and CFE/CFi have the same T* coatings, but that the earlier model has an older coating design (a few C T* lenses do exist).

Also, the tolerances of the older model may be too loose in case you ever want to use a 2000/200-series body, so I would go for the CF in your place (F in CF means works with F cameras, i.e. focal plane shutter cameras, i.e. 2000/200-series). The 500C/M is just as good as the later bodies, with the exception of the gliding mirror system, which helps reduce vignetting for long lenses > 100mm.

You can read more about the features for each camera here:

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HS/HSTable.aspx
    Carsten - Website

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the first one it's just okay. I just saw this package on e-bay and looks pretty good. Just a rough idea and don't know the seller but I would try and go for a newer body. From what I hear the 503 is pretty nice . I had all the old ones and frankly not sure i would buy them back but the 503 looks better, not sure it is. I don't know your budget either but if your going to add a DB later on I would try and get a later model just to be safe it is compatible. Maybe someone that knows Hassy better than I do but i remember reading something somewhere a old body would not work with a certain DB. Now my memory is the ****s but still something to explore.

This looks like a nice package

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hasselblad-503CW...ht_6199wt_1167

These guy's have been on e-bay quite awhile but i never bought from them. They do ship worldwide also
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't recommend the C lenses. The shutters (Synchro-compur) create problems more than the CF series (Prontor). CF series may have some other improvements as well. I had noticed a big difference in the 50mm lens, especially at the cormers. I don't know is 80mm is like that too.

CFi is the "improved" version of CF (they say). CFE is like the CF, with contacts (for 200 series), if I'm not mistaken. Cfi types are usually newer, and preferable. But CF is perfectly OK (hopefully if in good shape regarding the shutter ad the optics)
    Last edited by s.agar; 26th January 2010 at 10:54.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't buy the 503CX or CXi. They were the first C camera with the Palpas coating inside, which helped reduce internal reflection and thus increase contrast, but the Palpas coating gets old at some point and starts coming off. These cameras are old enough that it is a real risk, and it is not unheard of.

I can confirm that CFE/CFi lenses are newer and preferable, but in most cases they are optically identical, and only have other advantages, like the CFE with electronic contacts. They are significantly more expensive though, so maybe keep those in mind for later, in case you fall in love with the camera. CF is fine, C is not.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the C and have the CFE.
    IQ wise it is pretty much the same, what I liked in the C was the two notches giving you the depth of field, that was great.
    Now it is a very old model with a greater chance to have mechanical problems, therefore I suggest the CFE.

Michel

Post Thanks / Like

the last one, isn't a CFE or CFi but a CB !

all the hassy 80 share the same opticall formulla except the CB.
    The CB canno't be used with 200 bodies, but 500 only.

IQ wise, it's little bit better in the center, but a little bit softer in the angles... but nothing to worry about !

The best standard lens for hassy ? the 100 CFi anyway !

If you can afford a 501CM with is wider mirror (same as 503CW) i will go for it !

If money is concerns, then for film use, a 500CM and 80 CF is a good compromised !

I went myself with a 80CB, because with a digital back, i use the synchro all the time, and the plug on CFi / CFe / CB is really improved compare to CF... the internal baffling is supposed to be improved also...

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the 500 series cameras will run forever if used appropriately, because all these are black bodies (that show wear easily) they appear to be in nice condition. I tend to look at the body/back interface surface, it has two raised ribs for light sealing, they are easily damaged if used in a "pro" situation and will show that use. The wear marks are not an issue, just an indication of the amount of hard use the camera may have taken.

The CB lens is an econo design (different lens configuration). optically the CF and C should be the same, with the CF being better mechanically.

If you are only using the 80mm lens the bigger mirror of the 501cm may be no real advantage over the 500cm.

If any of the bodies have an accumat focusing screen, they would be more desirable.

Post Thanks / Like

you can also shop for a 60 CB... same optic as the 60CFe without the F setting for 200 camera... a bargain on ebay !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great thread because i bought 501CM last year only body, no lens, no film/digital back, but when i went to USA last October [3 months ago] i bought a film back for this camera and many film rolls, but now i am still confusing about the lens, should i go with CF or CFE or CFi, and i try hardly to save to buy at least one "New" completely lens for my 501CM, not sure which one, 50, 80, 40,...etc.
    Mostly i love landscapes, but i want to do some street photography maybe and portraits, i have 180mm for my Mamiya RZ II, so i will avoid telephoto or long FL and i want to be in wide side at least.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Great thread because i bought 501CM last year only body, no lens, no film/digital back, but when i went to USA last October [3 months ago] i bought a film back for this camera and many film rolls, but now i am still confusing about the lens, should i go with CF or CFE or CFi, and i try hardly to save to buy at least one "New" completely lens for my 501CM, not sure which one, 50, 80, 40,...etc.
    It will be hard to find a new lens now, and if you do, it will be very expensive. Hasselblad was always a very expensive brand. If you buy used in very good, near-new shape, you will save hundreds, if not thousands.

Mostly i love landscapes
    40-60mm, plus maybe 150mm or 180mm for details.

but i want to do some street photography
    60-80mm, or 100mm.

and portraits
    150-180mm, even 250mm.

Just buy the whole lineup

i have 180mm for my Mamiya RZ II, so i will avoid telephoto or long FL and i want to be in wide side at least.
    Well, you needs are very mixed I don't think that the Hasselblad makes that great a street camera, so why not start with a nice wide? The 50mm lenses are good and not too big or expensive, so that might be a nice start.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar 2.8/80 comes in:
    1. C
    2. C T*
    3. CF T*
    4. CB T* (improve internal flare with the new lens barrel material. The CB lens is not a popular lens due to the small limitation and thus the CB is in less demand and has the greatest value; CB lens share the same new barrel like the CFi and CFE lens which attenuate internal flare).
    5. CFE T* (electronic couple for information when using with the Hasselblad H camera via the CF adapter and thus the most in demand and explain the price differences; improved internal flare control similar to the CB and CFi barrel)

Note: there is no CFi for the Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar T* 80mm lens.

To complete the Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm lens:
    6. Rollei Planar HFT 2.8/80 PQ
    7. Sinar M also has the Planar T* 2.8/80 ZH AF

Best Regards,
    Son
    Last edited by PSon; 28th January 2010 at 10:26.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread amongst the others is very imformative. I just bought a 501CM and want to eventually expand my lens selection. I'm a hobbyist so I have to take it a bit slow though.

Son or anyone else, could you give the break down on the portrait lenses carsten mentioned above. I'd be curious to know about sharpness and other qualities. The 50/4's as well.

Bill

tetsrfun

( bear in my that my research on the V system started 4-5 days ago.
    Take your time, do the research and buy from a reputable source. "V" series equipment is well built but service and repair can be expensive. So less expensive may not be so if it needs service or repair.

The "CF" lenses are probably the best bang for the buck considering age, shutter tech. and cost.

KEH.com is a good place to look at what is available on the used market, they have a large inventory. Probably not cost effective to buy for Europeans due to additional tax and duties.

Steve

tetsrfun

Mostly i love landscapes, but i want to do some street photography maybe and portraits, i have 180mm for my Mamiya RZ II, so i will avoid telephoto or long FL and i want to be in wide side at least.
    I have ~8 'blad lenses and the 50mm get the most time on the camera. A 50 CF is probably best compromise for cost and features. A 50 CF in ex cond will cost ~ $750USD while a 40mm CFE/CFI (a nice focal length) will be ~$2,500-3,500USD.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,
    1. Environmental Portrait lens - wide angle lens
    a. Distagon T* 40mm CFE IF is the best in its class
    b. Distagon T* 2.8/50 F and FE (you must use it with the focal plane shutter Hasselblad camera). This lens can focus extremely close and the older version can focus closer than the newer version but bigger and require a different shade. This lens has lovely bokeh as you can see from the work of Jim.
    c. Distagon T* 60mm (CB is the best value but also CF. No CFE in this version. The CFi is too expensive but does not offer anything more in term of optics performance beside being the latest model). This lens is sharp and is popular in the Rollei mount as well as the Hasselblad mount. This lens control the distortion well so the subject looks more natural. If shooting people I prefer the 80mm lens if room is permit. However in cases where room is tight or you want to show the environment such as the stadium or orchestra you want the wider lens. Also if shooting with light it is important to understand your power and you must match it to the sun and in this case wider angle lens is also important such as group portrait.
    d. Distagon T* 50mm CF, CFi (no CB and CFE model in this version). This lens is lighter than the F and FE 2.8/50 version so it is considered the most popular lens in wedding photography and it was my lens but whenever possible with enough power in my flash and space the 60mm and 80mm get the priority. People do not like to look fat and short so the 60 and 80mm are more natural to the eyes.

2. Close Portrait
    a. 2.0/110 FE and F - Planar formula 110mm hand down the legendary lens where the length is not too long to create more natural look. In digital crop sensor this focal length is even better than film day. Unique lens that cannot be duplicated by other medium format lens.
    b. 80mm (CF, CB, CFE, no CFi models) - Planar formula so it is very natural look. One of my sharpest half portrait ever taken. Group portrait is also the lens I prefer when I have space.
    c. 4/150 (CF and CFi, no CB and CFE) - popular during film but slightly long for digital sensor.
    d. 4/180 (CF, CFi and CFE, no CB) - extremely sharp but not popular for portrait. Too much compression which lead to flat look.

Best Regards
    Son

Post Thanks / Like

i've found the Distagon T* 40mm CFE IF to be a very good and expensive lens but i just hate the distortion (moustache type)
    In the 50, the CF Fle are much better than the simple CF... The CFi is even better
    the 60 is better for lanscape than table top, more distortion than the 50... the 60CB is cheap and as good as the CFi
    80 quite good but the 100 is the best, with nearly no distortion
    The 120 macro is a good macro and table top lens, some used them for portrait also, but not perfect for infinity.
    The 150 isn't the sharpest, but nice for portrait with film
    The 180 is very sharp, but quite big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    I have ~8 'blad lenses and the 50mm get the most time on the camera. A 50 CF is probably best compromise for cost and features. A 50 CF in ex cond will cost ~ $750USD while a 40mm CFE/CFI (a nice focal length) will be ~$2,500-3,500USD.

Steve
    Honestly, for that Hasselblad i want to have 3 lenses only, if not then only two, the three are: 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, the two will be 50 and 80 as i don't want to use only Hasselblad for everything, i still have Mamiya RZ which is with 180mm, so the long or telephoto is covered on one camera and as i said i love always to be in wide side of photography.

I was planning to buy 50mm or wide only new even expensive [i will buy once anyway], but for 80mm or 150mm i will go with good used one.

Post Thanks / Like

brand new 50 CFi cost 4000 $ excluding VAT, there's plenty of them in second hand from reputable dealer with warranty for 1000 to 2000$... i prefer to buy new also, but in that case, i will go for a second hand item !
    with the price of the new 50 Cfi, you can buy a whole kit in second hand !
    50 Cfi + 80 Cfe/i + 150 CF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar 2.8/80 comes in:
    Note: there is no CFi for the Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar T* 80mm lens.

Son
    the 80 CFe is no more in the catalogue... but there's a Cfi 80 !!!
    http://robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp...1450&PT_ID=731

DISCONTINUED OCTOBER 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    the 80 CFe is no more in the catalogue... but there's a Cfi 80 !!!
    http://robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp...1450&PT_ID=731

DISCONTINUED OCTOBER 2009
    A miss info on their add. You cannot believe what you see all the time. There is no CFi Zeiss 2.8/80 lens.
    Good luck if you can find and buy one

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad pdf about the CFV39 :
    • Supported lenses are CF/CFE 40 FLE, CFE 40 IF, CFi 50 FLE, CFi/CFE 80, CFi/CFE 120, CFi 150, CFE/CFE 180, CFi 250, CFE 250 Sa and CFE 350 Sa.

you can read CFi/CFE 80 !

Post Thanks / Like

tetsrfun

• Supported lenses are CF/CFE 40 FLE, CFE 40 IF, CFi 50 FLE, CFi/CFE 80, CFi/CFE 120, CFi 150, CFE/CFE 180, CFi 250, CFE 250 Sa and CFE 350 Sa.

Here is a picture of an 80mm CFI...go ~1/2 down the picts of "true item"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Hasselblad-...item3ca99f417c

(BTW I didn't think that there was an 80 CFI, either)

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    Here is a picture of an 80mm CFI...go ~1/2 down the picts of "true item"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Hasselblad-...item3ca99f417c

(BTW I didn't think that there was an 80 CFI, either)

Steve

Steve
    You are correct! As you can see the image on ebay is misleading. It appears to be a CB not CFi. You cannot find a CFi 80mm lens and if you lucky to find one it would be a collection item.

Son
    Last edited by PSon; 30th January 2010 at 05:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again, I thank you for your internet literature research but I am almost 99.99% sure that there is no Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2.8/80 CFi lens.

Here are examples where companies and camera rental-store listed the sale and rental prices of a product but no actual product was ever made or at least did not make it to the market:

Example 1: Sinar Hy6 90 Degree Prism was never made it to the market but was listed as ready to sell and rent.
    a. From Sinar USA
    http://www.usvista.com/son/Sinar%202008.pdf
    stroll down to page 11 (96-7112 Sinar Hy6 90 degree reflex viewfinder $1,438.00

b. From Camera Rental-Store
    http://www.ppratlanta.com/pdfs/digital_back.pdf

Example 2: Sinar Schneider 4/150 AFD was never made it to the market but was listed as ready to sell with price.
    http://www.usvista.com/son/Sinar%202008.pdf
    Stroll down to page 12 (96-7127 Sch AFD Xenotar 4/150 HFT PQS $3,662.00)

Example 3: Arca Swiss
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...340#post172340
    Stroll down to third post and I quote Jurgen below:
    "After contacting ARCA SWISS , I found that an adaption for digital use with my ARCA SWISS 4x5 is not possible as the required format reduction board is in the catalogue but was never produced.
    Jürgen
    "

There are other examples as well but literature research especially the internet does not always translate into the actual fact. Moreover, I remember when the transition of the Hasselblad CF to CB, CFi and CFE lens in 1999. They first made the CB lens with minor limited function on their camera and sold it at a low price. The CB was their first testing sample which contain the following lens: 60, 80, 120, and 160 CB. These are the cheaper focal lengths in the Hasselblad line up with the exception of the 120mm Makro-Planar. The CFi lens were then follow up immediate with the higher price focal lengths (30, 905SWC, 50, 60, 100, 120, 150, 180, 250 etc). The 60mm CFi was not made right away only much later down the line. Soon after that the CFE lens were introduced but only for the selective focal lengths (40, 80, 120, 180) of the more popular lens line up for the 200 series camera especially the 203FE camera. Once the 80mm was made in CFE the 80mm FE lens was discontinued. Wedding and fine art school industries were the major markets for Hasselblad especially the 500 series camera. The 200 series was not the major market and thus they did not make some of the more popular focal lengths in CFE such as the 50mm lens. Overall the whole CB, CFi and CFE are very confusing especially for those who did not own the Hasselblad V system at the time of the lens transition. The CB, CFi and CFE were claimed to be more environment friendlier and attenuate internal flares. However, due to the friendly environmental glass folks reported that these optics are not as good as the CF and C T* version. For example, the 905SWC is considered less sharp than the 903SWC and these are also reported in Alpa mount as well. I myself have seen these differences not only in the Hasselblad mount but also the Rollei mount as well where Zeiss also made their optics. I hope this response helps to clear things and provided a short history for those who is entering into the Hasselblad V system.

Best Regards
    Son
    Last edited by PSon; 30th January 2010 at 05:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Archivue and Steve,
    I like to retract my comment on the ebay listing. Thank you for the link and I stand corrected on this one. It appears that Hasselblad did make the 80mm CFi and this version must have not made it to the USA market. The 80mm CFi must have been made at the very end of the production of this focal length. The ebay listing of this item is collectible if Hasselblad did not sell a lot of this copy to the European, Asian and Australian markets. Unfortunately the 503CWD Anniversary is not in mint condition.
    Best Regards
    Son
    Last edited by PSon; 30th January 2010 at 06:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a question: is there any other lens rather than Carl Zeiss working on Hasselblad 500 series?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a question: is there any other lens rather than Carl Zeiss working on Hasselblad 500 series?
    I hope I understand your question but these ZV lens are the latest Zeiss production for the 500 series and they are very expensive:
    http://www.smt.zeiss.com/c12567a8003...2571ed0045fed4
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...istagon_T.html

Best Regards
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    I hope I understand your question but these ZV lens are the latest Zeiss production for the 500 series and they are very expensive:
    http://www.smt.zeiss.com/c12567a8003...2571ed0045fed4
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...istagon_T.html

Best Regards
    Son
    And i thought i will find something else cheaper, then i should go with CZ normal one which is slightly cheaper than this new latest one.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Between those 2, which one you will go with?

- 80 F2.8 CB T*(B60)

- 80 F2.8 CF T*(B60)

Post Thanks / Like

i've just bought a CB, i will run a test as soon as i can borrow a 80CFe and a 80 CFi from friends... but my test will be with an aptus 22, not full size 6x6 !

I expect that the CB will be superior and in fact nealy egal... to the Cfi... for my use !
    The CB is reported to be not as good as the CFi in the angles of a 6x6...
    But at the end they are all quite similar !

I went with the CB for the Sync Socket... anyway, i have a 100CFi when ultra sharp images and no distortion is the goal !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think i will wait long time before i can decide based on each one opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

considering the ZV ZEISS lenses for hassy...

The ZV 50 is based on the old CF non FLE... and cost more than a CFi 50 FLE... nonsense, just a collector item !

Post Thanks / Like

i've just made a quick comparison between a 80 CB and a CFe... very similar... the CB is sharper with a 36x48 digital back 22mp... but by a small margin.
    The CFe must be better in the corner of a 6x6... but i just shoot digital now.