The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dalsa vs. Kodak chips

Indeed!

As I mentioned in the other thread, the H4D40 is a Kodak TRUESENSE CCD, based on the 50MP architecture, plus microlenses giving extra sensitivity. Its a really nice combination.

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree and in Hassy camp may have just changed the game. I think a very interesting announcement.

Dustbak

Thanks you two ... it makes it even harder to ponder with that input. :eek:

I've toyed with the notion of MS for a long time ... and most of the Shooters that I hired as an Art Director (that used Hassey) used Multishot in studio.

Amazingly MS virtually eliminated any post work especially with fabrics and such ... I do a fair amount of Bread & Butter studio jobs like that (fabric samples for automotive companies to use for dealer sample charts and catalogs) ... and lots of wheels. Not as easy to shoot as it sounds ... trust me.:eek:

Like this 3" fabric sample and a super close up crop of it ... or this "bitch to shoot" chrome wheel which is as shot with no retouching yet except to knock out the background ... Both done with the 39.

50/MS would capture these even better and provide for cleaner, more subtile detail.

I'm talking myself into this ...:ROTFL:

-Marc

Join the club, I am convincing myself of exactly the same. I have been able to refrain myself sofar.

Multishot is a no-brainer for anything that is not moving and has fabric. I certainly would go for the 50ms.

Nice detail BTW, I am working on getting a 22MS Dalsa back to work. I wonder how that will compare to my 39MS Kodak back.

jerome

Nice detail BTW, I am working on getting a 22MS Dalsa back to work. I wonder how that will compare to my 39MS Kodak back.
Yep, we are in the same boat lol

But, I think you can shoot Multi shot only tethered, don't we ? And I don't see any availability of a H4D50MS or this version will be available with the H4D50 ?

Long exposure, multi shot (if not tethered available), 50 iso are strong arguments for the H4D50MS ...

Professional

I saw H4D-50MS in an event here in Dubai last week, i was there also to see the H4D-50 and i have few shots from that camera but at ISO 100, i liked the idea of that H4D/H3D MS, but it is dedicated mostly for still life and it is more expensive than normal body [non MS].

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
but it is dedicated mostly for still life and it is more expensive than normal body [non MS].
I thought MS mode is an option, and it behaves just like the non-MS version in standard mode -- is that not the case??? I would hope it is selectable, and frankly be surprised if it wasn't...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for clarifying that Dave, it really made no sense it was a dedicated MS back!

No probs!

That is the great thing about it. 1 shot and 4 shot together. So you have all the benefits of a portable camera, shooting to CF and then the ultimate studio camera.

Dustbak

You can use a multishot camera just like a singleshot, the only disadvantage is that the back is thicker. Now why would I regard that as being so? I am left-eyed which means my nose is already pressed against the back of the camera. With the MS back on the H I have it even pressed harder against the backside.

Ah well.. there is always something we need to bitch about ;)

Yes, you can use multishot only tethered. It can only be used for non-moving things. you have to be working from a tripod (or mount your body in other ways as long as it is fixed). Having said that you would be amazed how often you can still use multishot. Since good practice means you take a single shot with each multishot, just in case. You can always blend the 2 where you would use the parts from the single shot image for everything moving and the multishot for everything stationary.

archivue

As I mentioned in the other thread, the H4D40 is a Kodak TRUESENSE CCD, based on the 50MP architecture, plus microlenses giving extra sensitivity. Its a really nice combination....

so is it friendly with lens movements ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No probs!

That is the great thing about it. 1 shot and 4 shot together. So you have all the benefits of a portable camera, shooting to CF and then the ultimate studio camera.
Seriously, I have to say this sounds like the "ideal" solution in high-resolution MFDB capture. The one big gripe I have with my Phase P65+ is the back actually captures a little more than what the finder sees, and frankly that drives me nuts! I much preferred my P45+'s framing with the thin zone around the edges -- I prefer that because I know exactly what I'm getting in the frame. But then I certainly do prefer the overall files from the P65+ over the P45+'s...

Seriously folks, if I wasn't so heavily invested in Phase and had a way out without losing my shirt money-wise, I would look very seriously consider switching systems to get the Hassy 50MS back...

jerome

The H4D50 is 2290 g
The H4D60 is 1800 g

So I suppose the H4D50MS is still heavier. Is it the back that make such a difference ?

As well, P65+ is 1mn long exposure maximum (I suppose Hasselblad can do this too ?), as the others back are for one hours.

Yes, the back has a piezo engine in it which moves the CCD.

This is a very high precision piece of equipment, even built so that changes in ambient temperature have the least effect on calibration, therefore it must be built well!

jerome

I can understand it's heavier :)
But, do you mean 2290 g is the weigh of the H4D50 MS and not the weigh of H4D50 or that all H4D50 are multishot ? (I read the weigh on the Hasselblad specs).

ajoyroy

I can understand it's heavier :)
But, do you mean 2290 g is the weigh of the H4D50 MS and not the weigh of H4D50 or that all H4D50 are multishot ? (I read the weigh on the Hasselblad specs).
The confusion is because the manual says

H4D-60 - "1800 g (Camera body, HV 90x-II viewfinder, Li-Ion battery and CF card)"
H4D-50 - "2290 g (Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens, Li-Ion battery and CF card)"
The 60MP has no lense in the weight which would add "Weight 475 g" ti give 2275 g. The balance could be due to the difference in weights of the two viewfinders - HV 90x-II and HVD 90x

jerome

The confusion is because the manual says

H4D-60 - "1800 g (Camera body, HV 90x-II viewfinder, Li-Ion battery and CF card)"
H4D-50 - "2290 g (Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens, Li-Ion battery and CF card)"
The 60MP has no lense in the weight which would add "Weight 475 g" ti give 2275 g. The balance could be due to the difference in weights of the two viewfinders - HV 90x-II and HVD 90x