The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy H4D/40 Release

Professional

If i have a choice, i will choose H4D-50 over H4D-40, not sure how much the price between the two, but if it is that much difference then i can understand of some will go wityh cheaper, but if the difference is not that a big deal then why not going with higher MP, will they do something more on 40mp over 50mm [H4D]? and now also H4D-60mp to be out available, so all those big stories and storms about H4D system of Hasselblad, what is going on? What are they trying to do in Hasselblad with that H4D?

s.agar

This wasn't worth waiting for. Excellent value for first time buyers, but didn't need to have the stopwatch teaser.

tjv

And the Aussies miss out again, we don't even get a mention! I wonder why I often feel like a second class citizen when dealing with big companies. I watched that darned countdown for 4 days and get zip from it.
Haha, try living in New Zealand. Then you'll feel left out! :thumbdown:

Aaron

This might be UK price but not US price...
Yes, my point was that the H4d-40 costs a couple of grand more than the H3d-31 in Europe so will most likely follow that trend in the US too.

So whats the big deal then? its still a small sensor mfd that costs more than their previous small sensor mfd... not sure i appreciate watching a count down clock to tell me that:sleep006:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes, my point was that the H4d-40 costs a couple of grand more than the H3d-31 in Europe so will most likely follow that trend in the US too.

So whats the big deal then? its still a small sensor mfd that costs more than their previous small sensor mfd... not sure i appreciate watching a count down clock to tell me that:sleep006:
Hold it there is a BIG difference between a 31mpx and a 40mpx sensor. I just did this and it is much more than just 9 mpx. It is a whole new sensor technology with some extremely good improvements. Now not sure on the Hassy since we don't have the specs but on the Phase setup it's a different ball game. You also getting a different body here in the H4 with some new technologies behind it . The H31 still comes with a H3 . Nick, David help me with this am I mistaken here.

Paratom

I am also a little disapointed-it sounded to me like the would present a product not known before-even if the price might be attractive.

Nick-T

Hold it there is a BIG difference between a 31mpx and a 40mpx sensor. I just did this and it is much more than just 9 mpx. It is a whole new sensor technology with some extremely good improvements. Now not sure on the Hassy since we don't have the specs but on the Phase setup it's a different ball game. You also getting a different body here in the H4 with some new technologies behind it . The H31 still comes with a H3 . Nick, David help me with this am I mistaken here.
Correct Guy It is a new sensor generation so will be a big step up from the 31. And yes it has the True Focus system which I've been testing and am glad to say actually works :) Oh and 4 minute exposure times with no black frame required.
Nick-T (Also in New Zealand)

Sharokin

They should had Tag Heuer sponsor the countdown clock as that is the only was I see Hasselblad making any additional revenue from this scam, I mean promotion.

Aaron

Yes i understand that its a newer generation but its still a small sensor no matter what way you go at it.
If the street price is £12,995 then for only £281 more i can buy a new H3dII39 from calumet.
So despite the newer generation body etc.. I think i would prefer the larger sensor of the older body for wide angle use etc..

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Aaron end of the day with a 28mm and the P40 framing to the P45 framing same as Hassy i believe, its like a 2mm difference. Now having said that would I like wider on my P40+ yes I would but maybe only when my back is literally against the wall. But yes it is wider on the P45. Now i am testing a 50mm shift and see if i can gain a little extra in the final dimension.

Now I will say this the resale value on my P40 and with the Hassy 40 will be much better end of the day than the P45 and H39. Which are dropping like flies and will do that even more now that Hassy dropped this 40 in the mix. This is the one reason I went to the P40 from the P30 was I added value to my system. In both Hassy and Phase system this needs to be addressed because the used prices on these things are dropping badly and not holding value as the new backs come out which gives us maybe 3 years before we face the next generation. Now I realize this is a vicious circle of buzzards we are dealing with but I don't see anyway around it as the new tech comes in and buying old tech at the same time.

This is sort of my driving point here and after just analyzing the hell out of this it made the most sense. Not only that I picked up a much nicer file from the older sensors. I would try it first before making a final decision for sure. Not that I am trying to sell this but as always making the most sense out of our purchase dollars is what is important .

Aaron

Aaron end of the day with a 28mm and the P40 framing to the P45 framing same as Hassy i believe, its like a 2mm difference. Now having said that would I like wider on my P40+ yes I would but maybe only when my back is literally against the wall. But yes it is wider on the P45. Now i am testing a 50mm shift and see if i can gain a little extra in the final dimension.

Now I will say this the resale value on my P40 and with the Hassy 40 will be much better end of the day than the P45 and H39. Which are dropping like flies and will do that even more now that Hassy dropped this 40 in the mix. This is the one reason I went to the P40 from the P30 was I added value to my system. In both Hassy and Phase system this needs to be addressed because the used prices on these things are dropping badly and not holding value as the new backs come out which gives us maybe 3 years before we face the next generation. Now I realize this is a vicious circle of buzzards we are dealing with but I don't see anyway around it as the new tech comes in and buying old tech at the same time.

This is sort of my driving point here and after just analyzing the hell out of this it made the most sense. Not only that I picked up a much nicer file from the older sensors. I would try it first before making a final decision for sure. Not that I am trying to sell this but as always making the most sense out of our purchase dollars is what is important .
Thanks for your thoughts Jack. I know were only talking a couple of mills in the difference, i guess the only way to tell the difference is to actually see the difference, obvious i know, i plan on trying them both with a 28mm as soon as the h4d40 hits the streets.

As for resale value, who knows what anything is going to be worth in three years! Of course you have to try and 'hedge your bets' but i feel that any money spent on anything digital really has to be written off over 3-4 years. I dont really see that many used mfd systems on the market lately anyhow. (either the users dont need to upgrade or dont feel like giving them away for a third of the purchase cost- i wouldnt!)

fotografz

If i have a choice, i will choose H4D-50 over H4D-40, not sure how much the price between the two, but if it is that much difference then i can understand of some will go with cheaper, but if the difference is not that a big deal then why not going with higher MP, will they do something more on 40mp over 50mm [H4D]? and now also H4D-60mp to be out available, so all those big stories and storms about H4D system of Hasselblad, what is going on? What are they trying to do in Hasselblad with that H4D?
As I understand it:

The H4D is new body technology with new features that can be had in a 40, 50, or 60 meg version. There has been no mention of a H4D/31 or H4D/39 ... I suspect the H3D-II/31 and H3D-II/39 will be eventually discontinued as the new versions come on-line. The 40, 50 and 60 offer newer sensor technology compared to the 31 and 39.

The 40 meg version looks to be a 1.3X crop frame sensor using micro-lenses to deliver a 1 stop higher ISO ability (1600) than the 50 or 60 ... as well as longer exposure times. If it is like previous crop frame cameras, the capture rate will also be faster. This type of performance would appeal to event, fashion, and portrait shooters, etc. This camera type is similar to the Phase One kit Guy shoots with.

The 50 is a 1.1X crop factor sensor without micro-lenses using new sensor technology from Kodak compared to the 39 sensor ... and features a base ISO of 50 ranging up to 800, is suited for studio work, landscapes, and work on a tech or view camera, etc. This camera is also available as a 4 shot multi-shot version.

The 60 is a Dalsa sensor with next to zero lens crop factor, no micro-lenses (that I know of), a base ISO of 100 ranging to 800, looks to have shorter extended exposure times compared to the 40 or 50, and offers the largest over-all file size.

Hope that helps.

-Marc