Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hassy H4D/40 Release

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hassy H4D/40 Release

http://www.hasselblad.com/countdown

At Hasselblad, we’ve been taking image quality to new and unexplored heights for over fifty years now. And now, we are proud to announce the launch of the new Hasselblad H4D-40, bringing ultimate image quality to an entirely new generation of photographers. The H4D-40 will help your photography to grow in ways you never dreamed possible.
    As easy to use as any 35mm camera and featuring a 40 Megapixel Medium Format sensor, our easy to use new Phocus 2.0 software, and the new True Focus AF, the H4D-40 provides the perfect entry point into the Hasselblad world. The H4D-40 gives you full access to the entire Hasselblad system of software, lenses, and features and has been designed to meet the needs of the most demanding high-end commercial photographers – and yours.
    We are launching the H4D-40 at special “hands-on” events in over 50 cities throughout the world starting February 10, 2010. To find a launch event near you click on the link to the right.
    February 10th will also see the launch of an exciting new area on the Hasselblad website, the Hasselblad Owners’ Club. More info about this exciting addition to the Hasselblad world can also be found by clicking on the links to the right.
    We look forward to seeing you on February 10th!

Hasselblad Medium Format DSLRs start at 11,995 EUR
    (with 80mm HC lens)

Explore the Hasselblad Owners’ Club.
    Find a Launch Event near you! Get your hands on the new H4D-40.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hassy H4D/40 Release

Price

Hasselblad Medium Format DSLRs start at 11,995 EUR
    (with 80mm HC lens)
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hassy owners club also

On February 10th, we are launching an exciting new addition to the Hasselblad experience. The Hasselblad Owners’ Club will provide a forum for Hasselblad owners to interact with Hasselblad representatives and each other, market their businesses, and share their photography with the world. The Hasselblad Owners Club will give Hasselblad photographers a direct communication channel to the professional photo industry and the over 1.4 million annual visitors to the Hasselblad website.
    The Hasselblad Owners’ Club – Exclusive Access
    Each Hasselblad photographer will be given online space on which to present a brief biography, share links to their studios or portfolios, and to show a selection of their images. Only registered Hasselblad owners will have full access to this exclusive area. Membership in the Hasselblad Owners Club will be free to any registered owner of a Hasselblad product.
    The Hasselblad Owners’ Club – General Access
    Members of the general public and all visitors to the site will be able to view photographer profiles and images and to browse photographers by type of photography or location.
    Voting Area
    Photographers can elect to have their images take part in a monthly voting process. Voting will be open to other registered owners only. Top ranking photographs will be prominently featured on the Hasselblad website.
    This Months' Photos
    The top ranked image each month will be displayed on the front page of the Hasselblad website and the photographer will be given a special profile interview and featured in our Hasselblad Showcase section.
    Social Media and Links
    Members of the Hasselblad Owners’ Club will be given full access to the Official Hasselblad Facebook site, the Hasselblad Forum, and access to special product offers via Twitter and other social media. A wide range of other Hasselblad social media channels will also be organized in one convenient portal.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, about $16,500. USD new ... without dealer dickering. That's getting interesting considering it's a H4D + lens with all the new functional goodies. May be a DSLR killer for some. Need to see the specs.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc I was wondering about that and says starts at 11995 euros but does that mean the HD3/31 or what. Maybe David can expand on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guy,

Looks like you beat me to it!

More details over the next few days. Ill put up €,£,$ pricing tomorrow when I am back to the office.

But yes, essentially an H4D40.

The interesting this is this is the Kodak TRUESENSE design CCD which is based on the 50MP except with the very useful addition of microlenses, giving 100-1600 ISO.

So think 50MP benefits with extra sensitivity. It is a really really nice sensor. Personally I like this combination a lot.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David look forward to hearing more.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I get half a page of whitespace on that page... what is the H4D40? An integrated MF DSLR similar to the Leica S2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Hmmm, about $16,500. USD new ... without dealer dickering. That's getting interesting considering it's a H4D + lens with all the new functional goodies. May be a DSLR killer for some. Need to see the specs.

-Marc
    Not sure I would call this a "DSLR killer" over being more of a potential S2 killer or other MF cannabalizer From the glimpse of the final image after the short video, which may or may not be the actual new camera, it looks like a normal H4D body. However, the one quick glimpse of the shutter release in the video looks more like a different body style. Really teasing at this point.

The price point definitely looks attractive, and if it can use most of the Hassy lenses, etc., it would be a very interesting entry. (Wondering about the 28/4 on it, as that is about as wide as one might need, but finding that to be falling short of maybe the Canon 17mm f4L TSE on maybe a coming 1DsMkIV at maybe 30-35MP ...)

Really looking forward to the specs on this thing for sure

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Guy Mancuso, I officially hate you !

You are always bringing on these news... Price is very very attractive and if it is 12.000 euros for a H4D system, it is very interesting.

Since very unfortunatly we do not have a H4D show in Portugal, I've contacted the Barcelona store ( heck, its 1 hour by plane... ) to attend.

Funny how I go from a used 500CM to a new H4D... This is REALLY a good price... unfortunatly it seems a direct hit on my beloved Leica and its S2 nonsense..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know. I get this all the time in hate mail from spouses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by proenca View Post

You are always bringing on these news... Price is very very attractive and if it is 12.000 euros for a H4D system, it is very interesting.

Since very unfortunatly we do not have a H4D show in Portugal, I've contacted the Barcelona store ( heck, its 1 hour by plane... ) to attend.

Funny how I go from a used 500CM to a new H4D... This is REALLY a good price... unfortunatly it seems a direct hit on my beloved Leica and its S2 nonsense..
    Is it? ... In comparison, yes. But has MF pricing ever been reasonable before?
    Of course this price will spice up the market. So, the next month' time to come will be interesting.

However, if HB is attracting now the high end DSLR users camp, it may be be to their own dissadvantage. How long then Canon, Nikon, Sony will watch it?

It is all about strategy I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

11995 is the price for the 31Mp with 80mm, the H4d with 80mm starts at 13999 ex VAT, in other words 16000 euro with tax. No small change and i hope the 39Mp will pick up in second hand prices now the 40 is a crop 1,3 camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by proenca View Post

I think it may prove quite misleading of Hasselblad to have at the bottom of the new H4D40 page:
    "Hasselblad Medium Format DSLRs start at 11,995 EUR"

In printed adverts its priced at £12,995 + vat which is €14,888.
    So they must be quoting the price for the H3d31, so that implies that the H4D-40 is not their new base model.

That prices it a lot closer to Leica S2 territory.

Post Thanks / Like

And the Aussies miss out again, we don't even get a mention! I wonder why I often feel like a second class citizen when dealing with big companies. I watched that darned countdown for 4 days and get zip from it.

The club does look interesting, I'll check that out on the 10th.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

In printed adverts its priced at £12,995 + vat which is €14,888.
    This might be UK price but not US price...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the camera and its price looks shining to me too. Hm... I'm going to the launch event!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought my H3DII-39 + 80mm on Jan 2009 at price about $20,750, is it too much or fair normal price?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And i traded-in my H3DII-39 body only for H4D-60 for the price of 14,000 euro.

Post Thanks / Like

We can't see much, just that the grip is exactly the same as the current H serie:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If i have a choice, i will choose H4D-50 over H4D-40, not sure how much the price between the two, but if it is that much difference then i can understand of some will go wityh cheaper, but if the difference is not that a big deal then why not going with higher MP, will they do something more on 40mp over 50mm [H4D]? and now also H4D-60mp to be out available, so all those big stories and storms about H4D system of Hasselblad, what is going on? What are they trying to do in Hasselblad with that H4D?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This wasn't worth waiting for. Excellent value for first time buyers, but didn't need to have the stopwatch teaser.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    And the Aussies miss out again, we don't even get a mention! I wonder why I often feel like a second class citizen when dealing with big companies. I watched that darned countdown for 4 days and get zip from it.
    Haha, try living in New Zealand. Then you'll feel left out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha, good or lucky that i am in the middle

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    this is the Kodak TRUESENSE design CCD which is based on the 50MP except with the very useful addition of microlenses, giving 100-1600 ISO.
    is it basically the same sensor as that of the S2?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xpixel View Post
    This might be UK price but not US price...
    Yes, my point was that the H4d-40 costs a couple of grand more than the H3d-31 in Europe so will most likely follow that trend in the US too.

So whats the big deal then? its still a small sensor mfd that costs more than their previous small sensor mfd... not sure i appreciate watching a count down clock to tell me that:sleep006:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

they don't mention the recompose AF ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, my point was that the H4d-40 costs a couple of grand more than the H3d-31 in Europe so will most likely follow that trend in the US too.

So whats the big deal then? its still a small sensor mfd that costs more than their previous small sensor mfd... not sure i appreciate watching a count down clock to tell me that:sleep006:
    Hold it there is a BIG difference between a 31mpx and a 40mpx sensor. I just did this and it is much more than just 9 mpx. It is a whole new sensor technology with some extremely good improvements. Now not sure on the Hassy since we don't have the specs but on the Phase setup it's a different ball game. You also getting a different body here in the H4 with some new technologies behind it . The H31 still comes with a H3 . Nick, David help me with this am I mistaken here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They write :

"Shutter speed range: 256 seconds to 1/800 second."

Is this 4 mn long exposure ? As the 50 MP is the same technology, it will be also 4 mn ? Today, the 50 mp is 32 s.

I'm wrong ?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope you are right!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am also a little disapointed-it sounded to me like the would present a product not known before-even if the price might be attractive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Hold it there is a BIG difference between a 31mpx and a 40mpx sensor. I just did this and it is much more than just 9 mpx. It is a whole new sensor technology with some extremely good improvements. Now not sure on the Hassy since we don't have the specs but on the Phase setup it's a different ball game. You also getting a different body here in the H4 with some new technologies behind it . The H31 still comes with a H3 . Nick, David help me with this am I mistaken here.
    Correct Guy It is a new sensor generation so will be a big step up from the 31. And yes it has the True Focus system which I've been testing and am glad to say actually works Oh and 4 minute exposure times with no black frame required.
    Nick-T (Also in New Zealand)

Post Thanks / Like

They should had Tag Heuer sponsor the countdown clock as that is the only was I see Hasselblad making any additional revenue from this scam, I mean promotion.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i understand that its a newer generation but its still a small sensor no matter what way you go at it.
    If the street price is £12,995 then for only £281 more i can buy a new H3dII39 from calumet.
    So despite the newer generation body etc.. I think i would prefer the larger sensor of the older body for wide angle use etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aaron end of the day with a 28mm and the P40 framing to the P45 framing same as Hassy i believe, its like a 2mm difference. Now having said that would I like wider on my P40+ yes I would but maybe only when my back is literally against the wall. But yes it is wider on the P45. Now i am testing a 50mm shift and see if i can gain a little extra in the final dimension.

Now I will say this the resale value on my P40 and with the Hassy 40 will be much better end of the day than the P45 and H39. Which are dropping like flies and will do that even more now that Hassy dropped this 40 in the mix. This is the one reason I went to the P40 from the P30 was I added value to my system. In both Hassy and Phase system this needs to be addressed because the used prices on these things are dropping badly and not holding value as the new backs come out which gives us maybe 3 years before we face the next generation. Now I realize this is a vicious circle of buzzards we are dealing with but I don't see anyway around it as the new tech comes in and buying old tech at the same time.

This is sort of my driving point here and after just analyzing the hell out of this it made the most sense. Not only that I picked up a much nicer file from the older sensors. I would try it first before making a final decision for sure. Not that I am trying to sell this but as always making the most sense out of our purchase dollars is what is important .

Post Thanks / Like

Aaron end of the day with a 28mm and the P40 framing to the P45 framing same as Hassy i believe, its like a 2mm difference. Now having said that would I like wider on my P40+ yes I would but maybe only when my back is literally against the wall. But yes it is wider on the P45. Now i am testing a 50mm shift and see if i can gain a little extra in the final dimension.

Now I will say this the resale value on my P40 and with the Hassy 40 will be much better end of the day than the P45 and H39. Which are dropping like flies and will do that even more now that Hassy dropped this 40 in the mix. This is the one reason I went to the P40 from the P30 was I added value to my system. In both Hassy and Phase system this needs to be addressed because the used prices on these things are dropping badly and not holding value as the new backs come out which gives us maybe 3 years before we face the next generation. Now I realize this is a vicious circle of buzzards we are dealing with but I don't see anyway around it as the new tech comes in and buying old tech at the same time.

This is sort of my driving point here and after just analyzing the hell out of this it made the most sense. Not only that I picked up a much nicer file from the older sensors. I would try it first before making a final decision for sure. Not that I am trying to sell this but as always making the most sense out of our purchase dollars is what is important .
    Thanks for your thoughts Jack. I know were only talking a couple of mills in the difference, i guess the only way to tell the difference is to actually see the difference, obvious i know, i plan on trying them both with a 28mm as soon as the h4d40 hits the streets.

As for resale value, who knows what anything is going to be worth in three years! Of course you have to try and 'hedge your bets' but i feel that any money spent on anything digital really has to be written off over 3-4 years. I dont really see that many used mfd systems on the market lately anyhow. (either the users dont need to upgrade or dont feel like giving them away for a third of the purchase cost- i wouldnt!)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    And i traded-in my H3DII-39 body only for H4D-60 for the price of 14,000 euro.
    Same trade price as in the USA. I have ordered the same thing and sent my P.O. for the H4D/60 last year. Just waiting now.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    If i have a choice, i will choose H4D-50 over H4D-40, not sure how much the price between the two, but if it is that much difference then i can understand of some will go with cheaper, but if the difference is not that a big deal then why not going with higher MP, will they do something more on 40mp over 50mm [H4D]? and now also H4D-60mp to be out available, so all those big stories and storms about H4D system of Hasselblad, what is going on? What are they trying to do in Hasselblad with that H4D?
    As I understand it:

The H4D is new body technology with new features that can be had in a 40, 50, or 60 meg version. There has been no mention of a H4D/31 or H4D/39 ... I suspect the H3D-II/31 and H3D-II/39 will be eventually discontinued as the new versions come on-line. The 40, 50 and 60 offer newer sensor technology compared to the 31 and 39.

The 40 meg version looks to be a 1.3X crop frame sensor using micro-lenses to deliver a 1 stop higher ISO ability (1600) than the 50 or 60 ... as well as longer exposure times. If it is like previous crop frame cameras, the capture rate will also be faster. This type of performance would appeal to event, fashion, and portrait shooters, etc. This camera type is similar to the Phase One kit Guy shoots with.

The 50 is a 1.1X crop factor sensor without micro-lenses using new sensor technology from Kodak compared to the 39 sensor ... and features a base ISO of 50 ranging up to 800, is suited for studio work, landscapes, and work on a tech or view camera, etc. This camera is also available as a 4 shot multi-shot version.

The 60 is a Dalsa sensor with next to zero lens crop factor, no micro-lenses (that I know of), a base ISO of 100 ranging to 800, looks to have shorter extended exposure times compared to the 40 or 50, and offers the largest over-all file size.

Hope that helps.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for your thoughts Jack. I know were only talking a couple of mills in the difference, i guess the only way to tell the difference is to actually see the difference, obvious i know, i plan on trying them both with a 28mm as soon as the h4d40 hits the streets.

As for resale value, who knows what anything is going to be worth in three years! Of course you have to try and 'hedge your bets' but i feel that any money spent on anything digital really has to be written off over 3-4 years. I dont really see that many used mfd systems on the market lately anyhow. (either the users dont need to upgrade or dont feel like giving them away for a third of the purchase cost- i wouldnt!)
    Not many used ones ... yet.

Most are being traded because both Phase One and Hasselblad had great trade-up promotions.

I would think those traded units will show up somewhere eventually. Some excellent values I would bet.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    Is it? ... In comparison, yes. But has MF pricing ever been reasonable before?
    Of course this price will spice up the market. So, the next month' time to come will be interesting.

However, if HB is attracting now the high end DSLR users camp, it may be be to their own dissadvantage. How long then Canon, Nikon, Sony will watch it?

It is all about strategy I guess.
    Well, Canon, Nikon and Sony are stuck with a 35mm film gate size and awkward aspect ratio.

RE: IQ: If you think a 35 meg, 35mm CMOS sensor with a less usable aspect ratio ...can equal a 40 meg near 645 sized CCD sensor with an aspect ratio more conducive to real world applications, I'd suggest giving a MFD camera a try to see the difference first hand.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Not sure I would call this a "DSLR killer" over being more of a potential S2 killer or other MF cannabalizer From the glimpse of the final image after the short video, which may or may not be the actual new camera, it looks like a normal H4D body. However, the one quick glimpse of the shutter release in the video looks more like a different body style. Really teasing at this point.

The price point definitely looks attractive, and if it can use most of the Hassy lenses, etc., it would be a very interesting entry. (Wondering about the 28/4 on it, as that is about as wide as one might need, but finding that to be falling short of maybe the Canon 17mm f4L TSE on maybe a coming 1DsMkIV at maybe 30-35MP ...)

Really looking forward to the specs on this thing for sure

LJ
    "May be a DSLR Killer ... for some".

My shooting partner is one of them ... and I do not think he is alone.

Part of the "Killer" aspect will be all the P30+. P45+, and H3D/H3D-Iis that'll be coming on-line at attractive pricing. I'll bet a low use 39 meg
    kit will be around $10 or 11K soon ... compared to a $8K Canon/Nikon Pro camera.

IMO, MFD will never replace 35mm for certain applications ... but the same is true for the other-way-around.

BTW, I'll take a Schneider or Rodenstock HDR optic on a tech camera with MFD Back over any 35mm T/S set-up when it comes to pure IQ.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Not many used ones ... yet.

Most are being traded because both Phase One and Hasselblad had great trade-up promotions.

I would think those traded units will show up somewhere eventually. Some excellent values I would bet.

-Marc
    I would be surprised if the backs which were traded in show up on the used market, at least not on our used markets. The world is a big place, where did all the hassie backs that were traded in their promotions a couple of years ago all go to? And Phase ended their refurbished back sales too last year...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rental houses, spares and the garbage can. Mostly get them off the used market to force new purchase. Marketing 102. LOL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rental houses, spares and the garbage can. Mostly get them off the used market to force new purchase. Marketing 102. LOL
    If I lived in Denmark, I'd be checking the dumpster out back on a daily basis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's no use

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tech Specs.

Digital Features:

Sensor size: 40.0 Mpixels (7304×5478 pixels)

Sensor dimensions: 33.1×44.2 mm

Image size: RAW 3FR capture 50 MB on average. TIFF 8 bit: 120 MB

File format: Lossless compressed Hasselblad RAW 3FR

Shooting mode: Single shot

Color definition: 16 bit

ISO speed range: ISO 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600

Storage options: CF card type U-DMA (e.g. SanDisk extreme IV) or tethered to Mac or PC

Color management: Hasselblad Natural Color Solution

Storage capacity: 4 GB CF card holds 75 images on average

Capture rate: 1.1 seconds per capture. 33 captures per minute

Color display: Yes, 3 inch TFT type, 24 bit color, 230 400 pixels

Histogram feedback: Yes

IR filter: Mounted on CCD sensor

Acoustic feedback: Yes

Software: Phocus for Mac and Windows

Platform support: Macintosh: OSX. Windows: XP (32 and 64 bit), Vista (32 and 64 bit), Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit).

Host connection type: FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b)

View camera compatibility: Yes, Mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync. Electronic shutters can be controlled from Phocus.

Operating temperature: 0 - 45 °C / 32 - 113 °F

Dimensions: Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens: 153 x 131 x 213 mm [W x H x D]

Weight: 2290 g (Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens, Li-Ion battery and CF card)

Camera Features:

Camera type: Large sensor medium format DSLR

Lenses: Hasselblad HC/HCD lens line with integral central lens shutter.

Shutter speed range: 256 seconds to 1/800 second

Flash sync speed: Flash can be used at all shutter speeds.

Viewfinder options:

•HVD 90x: 90° eye-level viewfinder w. diopter adjustment (-5 to +3.5D). Image magnification 3.1 times. Integral fill-flash (G.No. 12 @ ISO100). Hot shoe for SCA3002-system flashes from Metz™.

•HV 90x: 90° eye-level viewfinder w. diopter adjustment (-4 to +2.5D). Image magnification 2.7 times. Integral fill-flash (G.No. 12 @ ISO100). Hot shoe for SCA3002-system flashes from Metz™.

•HVM: Waist-level viewfinder. Image magnification 3.2 times.

Focusing: Autofocus metering with passive central cross-type sensor. Ultra focus digital feedback. Instant manual focus override. Metering range EV 1 to 19 at ISO 100.

Flash control: Automatic TTL centre weighted system. Uses built-in flash or flashes compatible with SCA3002 (Metz™). Output can be adjusted from -3 to +3EV. For manual flashes a built-in metering system is available.

Exposure metering: Metering options: Spot, Centre Weighted and CentreSpot. Metering range Spot: EV2 to 21, Centre Weighted: EV1 to 21, CentreSpot: EV1 to 21

Power supply: Rechargeable Li-ion battery (7.2 VDC / 1850 mAh).

Film compatibility: No

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like only the H4D-60 has the double res (460320 pixel) 3" TFT display.

Wondering why they don't have it in the 40 and 50 MP models ? Price ?

Regards,
    Ralf