The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Major Lightroom and CS# issue with ZD images

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well LR is working fine now but CS3 to get it to work I have to reboot sometimes. When i go to open a file I can't see the file like normal BUT it is open and I can see it in the info window. But no go to see normally unless i reboot. Bug, Virus and i tried almost everything short of redoing the whole freaking system. Talk about annoying.

Guy Mancuso

No Tim . I completely removed Cs3 and LR and redid them from disk and up dates . Frankly i have a feeling it is the recent update from Adobe Raw 1.4.1 . I may rip it out and see if that is the case . If i reinstall the system i will go from nothing and start all over again. Not going to play around

woodyspedden

Guy

I installed lightroom 1.4.1 and cameraraw 4.11 with no issues whatsoever. They are installed with Tiger on my desktop machine and leopard on my 17' macbook pro.

just for your information

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Woody. I may call Adobe but that maybe a fruitless battle. I hate when i have to tell them what is wrong. LOL

S

sakulju

Thanks Woody. I may call Adobe but that maybe a fruitless battle. I hate when i have to tell them what is wrong. LOL
I second that it must have something to do with Your new updates or upgrades.

I have a Quad G5 running 10.4.11 / Lightroom 1.3.1 / CS3 10.0.1 and no problems with ZD-files. None.

I´m usually always couple of updates behind, just because I´m ubersceptic to run latest but not so tested software. I guess I might go for 10.5 early next year...

I really hope You will get all sorted soon.

Sami

Guy Mancuso

Thanks . Well I did forget my user file preferences . So now i think i finally cleaned this out and will try again. Adobe really screws folks with putting files everywhere. Mac's are simple to get rid of a program but not CS3 . Stuff is everywhere. This is the one thing I miss is a true uninstaller.

T

thsinar

Guy,

I have found in the "Utilities", in the "Adobe Installers" folder, that there is a "Add or Remove Adobe Creative Suite" tool.

I used it to un-install and it worked perfectly to delete all files spread everywhere. Unless that is done, CS3 won't install and tell you that it is already installed.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks . Well I did forget my user file preferences . So now i think i finally cleaned this out and will try again. Adobe really screws folks with putting files everywhere. Mac's are simple to get rid of a program but not CS3 . Stuff is everywhere. This is the one thing I miss is a true uninstaller.

Guy Mancuso

I think i found a way to back up to a certain point in Time machine. Open your time machine drive and dump everything in the trash until the date you need in my case April 14th the day i left for Carmel. My system was stable and no issues. So i dump everything after that . Than take the leopard disk and go ahead and reinstall the OS after cleaning off the drive which i am doing right now on my laptop. Than load OS and than use time machine to migrate from.

How does that sound

Guy Mancuso

Adobe really screws you with putting files everywhere about the only program I know on a Mac that does this . Otherwise it is simple as pie. I think this trick may work will know in 30 minutes. If it does will do the same to desktop. I may have found the culprit or at least a idea. Used the same cards for Nikon and ZD. So hard reformatting going on and dedicated to each system.

Guy Mancuso

T=I think it is fixed . I have the laptop back to normal it looks like so cloning it to a external and wipe out desktop and clone over. lesson learn you can use time machine to a certain point back to migrate from but need to get rid of everything newer first. second lesson just don't mix cards between system. there cheap enough to dedicate them.

LJL

I'm back. Look out. LOL
Obvious question now.....are you straightened out on your Mamiya cards v. Nikon cards, and you can now work in LR and PS again? Did you lose any image files from the cards?

May be too much to troubleshoot, but do you think you know the source of the problem? Was it different formats on the cards? Was it something that did get downloaded from that thumbdrive? Just trying to understand what may have gone so ugly for you. If it was something like a corrupted plist file that came about because of trying to read cross-formatted CF cards or something, that would be good to know.

BTW, I agree with the concept of not mixing cards across different camera systems.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Not sure I am totally back still some issue with CS3. I am really not sure what happened along the way . I did not lose any images. But my suspect troubles seem to be several possibilities. Corrupted cards. Now They all have been reformatted and partitioned to Fat 32 and dedicated to each system. Never do that again and recommend no one do that , just dedicate the cards . There so cheap now. Now my other suspect is downloading Adobe Raw 1.4.1 and it may have hung during download and corrupted the system. Now the weird part about all of this is it happened on the laptop in Carmel. i downloaded my images on to a firewire external portable drive. Than downloaded to my home desktop when i got home. The puzzle is how the hell did it jump from my laptop to my desktop. The only common thing is the images i download. Did they carry a corrupted file or tag from the laptop. I really don't know and that is the weird part. i can't pin it down. Now those images are not on the OS drive anymore and I have not touched them or loaded them in LR so there off the main system. My new way of working is LR and export to a folder and NOT open in CS3 on export. This way i can have all the files developed into a folder than fire up Cs3 and work on them more. My only guarantee to get things to work. The main issue in Cs3 is the images open but i cannot see them visually . Now i can see a image in the navigator window . i can run the RGB tool around the screen and i can see the RGB values change but there is no image there and when i get past the image size that normally shows the RGB value goes away. So PS thinks there is a image there and if I make a change say convert to cmyk and close the PS it will ask if I want to save. i have a freaking ghost here. The weirdest damn thing i ever seen or better yet not seen. I'm pretty good at this stuff and it has me totally baffled. Even calling Adobe would do no good. They will just have me on the phone for 8 hours and tell me the same thing i already know reload Cs3 . Well i have done that 5 times now. I will just work like this and hopefully somehow by magic it may straighten out. Tried of chasing this ghost

LJL

Thanks, Guy. Sorry to bring up the ugly part, but it is interesting to try to figure out what to avoid doing next time.

On the images that are coming up in CS3 with no image, but data..... Silly thing to ask, but did some sort of layer get created that is obscuring the background image, yet your pointer is working on that background or something? That just sound too strange. I sometimes find myself working on the "wrong layer" and wonder why nothing is happening, but at least I still see the image. If there was a blank mask layer, or if your background layer were turned off (the eyeball), it might produce the result you are describing, but honestly, it just sounds too strange.

LJ