Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 41 of 41

Thread: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

  1. #1
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Have been demoing a Leaf Aptus II-5 this past week with the Phase/Mamiya camera and 80 2.8 Lens. Nothing special here on this but thought I would post an image from some field work yesterday for those considering this back.

    ISO 25, 1/20 sec exp, F16, developed in LR.

    Thanks for looking.

    Rob
    Last edited by routlaw; 18th August 2010 at 10:41.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Have been demoing a Leaf Aptus II-5 this past week with the Phase/Mamiya camera and 80 2.8 Lens. Nothing special here on this but thought I would post an image from some field work yesterday for those considering this back.

    ISO 25, 1/20 sec exp, F16, developed in LR.

    Thanks for looking.

    Rob
    Great. Exactly what I have expected. Now, I am sure some will say one cannot judge from a downsized file, but here I can see what I am looking for.

    One subject where digital shows its quality (or the lack of) is in the skies.
    Canon's always look plastic, others look like cut out cardboards - but here you get some of the depths that used to show up with Film, especially Velvia. Well, this is not Velvia - but you get the idea. Excellent!

  3. #3
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    Now, I am sure some will say one cannot judge from a downsized file, but here I can see what I am looking for
    You cannot judge from a downsized file!

  4. #4
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    ...and certainly not a web based JPEG!

  5. #5
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Rob, nice shot but the color looks off on my monitor... a bit on the blue side. I loved my Aptus back... they make a great product.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote: "...and certainly not a web based JPEG!"

    You are right, it is all hallucination! But certainly a good one, .......!

  7. #7
    tetsrfun
    Guest

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    ISO 25, 1/20 sec exp, F16, developed in LR.
    ******
    What have you found to be the "usable" high ISO?

    Steve

  8. #8
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Rob, nice shot but the color looks off on my monitor... a bit on the blue side. I loved my Aptus back... they make a great product.
    Hi David,

    I think this is fairly accurate actually. It was late afternoon with some warm glow on grasses in the field but there was a lot of fog and clouds of very unusual nature yesterday which did create quite a bit of atmospheric coolish haze. FWIW I also converted this file in Leaf Capture using the in camera std daylight gray balance and found it to be a bit off for sure. For instance the shadowed areas of the snowy road were noticeably more bluish-magenta as was some of the distant fields which are snow covered. In any case color temps are probably somewhat cooler this time of year at this altitude & latitude with snow on the ground compared to what you are used in FL. Note the left side of the weathered telephone pole and weathered fence post, those are quite yellow from the late afternoon sun while the remainder of the post are fairly neutral gray.

    Rob

  9. #9
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    ISO 25, 1/20 sec exp, F16, developed in LR.
    ******
    What have you found to be the "usable" high ISO?

    Steve
    Steve for the most part I have been using the system at ISO 25 for all the outdoor work, and up to 100 in the studio. At 100 with very dark objects you can see some noise creep in, but 50 is really quite clean. Its a very rare day when I use high ISO's even on my D3. In other words this is one area I have not delved into to any significant degree @ 200 and 400 the highest ISO this back is capable of.

    Rob

  10. #10
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    Great. Exactly what I have expected. Now, I am sure some will say one cannot judge from a downsized file, but here I can see what I am looking for.

    One subject where digital shows its quality (or the lack of) is in the skies.
    Canon's always look plastic, others look like cut out cardboards - but here you get some of the depths that used to show up with Film, especially Velvia. Well, this is not Velvia - but you get the idea. Excellent!
    Thanks, glad its helpful. Well no doubt much is lost form the downsized jpeg for sure but in this case I kept compression to a minimum. I do think the back is very very good, and certainly outperforms my D3 in most ways. This is an area I have gone to many times to test gear, lenses etc including my scan back which still blows the II-5 completely out of the water. But this back exhibits the least amount of digital attributes I have seen for a bayer sensor single capture. Very clean, and natural looking textures and detail.

    Rob

  11. #11
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Here a couple more for those interested. Neither of these files have had any sharpening what so ever, jpeg compression of 9 out 12 in PS. I was noticing however just a slight bit of front focusing from the camera in AF and MF mode both. Again ISO 25, F5.7, 1/160th of sec.

    Rob
    Last edited by routlaw; 18th August 2010 at 10:36.

  12. #12
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    One more, just a basic table top thing to see how well the back handled moire on fabric. ISO 50, F13

    Rob
    Last edited by routlaw; 18th August 2010 at 10:36.

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Isn't the pattern in the fabric too coarse to really test this on this shot? Looks great though.
    Carsten - Website

  14. #14
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Isn't the pattern in the fabric too coarse to really test this on this shot? Looks great though.
    Probably, but on the micro level you could see some minor effects of this on a 100% zoom, nothing that would show up in print. I will make one more test on a finer cloth garment before sending the kit back to the vendor tomorrow.

    Rob

  15. #15
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Here a couple more for those interested. Neither of these files have had any sharpening what so ever, jpeg compression of 9 out 12 in PS. I was noticing however just a slight bit of front focusing from the camera in AF and MF mode both. Again ISO 25, F5.7, 1/160th of sec.
    Again, it's almost impossible to make an accurate judgement here. The image of the fence post and crop do appear to be soft, but is this representative of the web based jpeg or the original file?

    Keith

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    The table top shot looks promising too. The wooden structure,... I have actually never seen a digital shot that shows wooden structure in a lively way. Especially not when the surface is polished and has this deep and warm glow in reality like on tablesplates etc, .... very difficult to transport this into a capture.

    But over all, it is great. The good thing on this back is also, it is the most affordable out of this new Aptus II line.
    Definitely a candidate to consider. Pity that it is doesnt do ISO 400 clean, though.
    Last edited by T.Karma; 7th February 2010 at 13:46.

  17. #17
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Again, it's almost impossible to make an accurate judgement here. The image of the fence post and crop do appear to be soft, but is this representative of the web based jpeg or the original file?

    Keith
    Hi Keith, as previously stated I did experience a bit of front focus on the kit yesterday, it was not nailed down as well as it should have been, also there was no in camera or post production sharpening on these files. I put these up to illustrate the natural and non digital appearance of the file... even though focus could be a bit better. The detail is a 100% crop.

    The boot shot is much more indicative of what to expect when images are nailed a bit better.

    Rob

  18. #18
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Probably, but on the micro level you could see some minor effects of this on a 100% zoom, nothing that would show up in print. I will make one more test on a finer cloth garment before sending the kit back to the vendor tomorrow.

    Rob

    I would say that it is difficult to "test" moire handling as it is quite random. Twenty shots in a row might not exhibit any, and then the next ten could be murder.

    More resolution/more photosites are the best remedy for handling moire. A 22MP digital back can easily produce moire in images. However, everything is relative. 22MP is better than 16MP, but not as good as 39MP, when it comes to moire. And relativity includes what subject, what aperture, distance to subject, etc. Many factors.

    As far as ISO, I consider the Aptus II 5 a 25 to 200 ISO product (25 - 100 is ideal), although ISO 400 can be used with good exposures and high key subject matter in moderate print sizes.


    Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Marseille, FRANCE
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    what are the differences between the AFI and the old Aptus 22 ?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    I used my Aptus 22 for several years. A couple comments.

    Lightroom does fine with the Aptus files but the default color calibration in LR for Leaf files isn't great. Once you do a DNG Profile calibration from a Macbeth chart, the colors are so much better. I agree the color from the first post image is just off.

    I agree with Steve; the Dalsa 22 sensor is great from 25-100 and 200 is certainly very usable and can create nice prints, 400 is quite subjective. A high key 400 shot is fine, a B&W conversion of 400 and higher is actually interesting with a film chunkiness, usable when wanted.

    My complaints were always, that 25-50 ISO required pumping too much power with studio packs. I found myself doing multi pops for many shoots, even with multiple 2400W packs.

    Skin tones are truly the best part about the sensor in the A22 and A-II5 (same sensor).

    Moire is a strong reality and honestly appeared in just about any shoot that had textiles or fine patterns. The only reshoot I have ever had to do was with the A22 shooting 10ft high art textile panels created for a synagogue. I've done plenty images side by side with the Canon 5DII and an A22 and the files are close but moire rears it ugly head with the Leaf often. Leaf Capture has one of the best local correction tools for moire especially since it saves it to the raw file allowing conversion in any other raw processor.

    Leaf Capture make nice conversions, tethering is rock solid, but as an app, not the most pleasurable to use. I ran more files through LR since I prefer color toning and color work that adds to an image. I loathe the curve tool in Leaf Capture. Never understood why they couldn't make normal curves and levels tools.

    Do I regret owning the Leaf, not at all. I created some very memorable work. What it did teach me was what I really want a digital back to be, better speed, image file quality, better ISO's for normal work and at a much better price point. Getting the A-II5 at $7-8K is reasonable. A22's are down in value to about $4K and the image quality is the same. Problem with digital backs is that they cost a lot and drop like bricks in value.

    Battery life on the A22 wasn't great. I found it reasonable to get 2 hours of continuous operation in normal temps per SBL-160, pretty poor. So stock up on batteries and just suck it up and buy Leaf's branded batts, the generics don't work long, crap out for good. Buy a dual charger and keep those things charged for untethered studio work. For tethered studio work, not a big deal, run the back via firewire.

    John

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    This is an area I have gone to many times to test gear, lenses etc including my scan back which still blows the II-5 completely out of the water.
    Rob

  22. #22
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    I would say that it is difficult to "test" moire handling as it is quite random. Twenty shots in a row might not exhibit any, and then the next ten could be murder.

    More resolution/more photosites are the best remedy for handling moire. A 22MP digital back can easily produce moire in images. However, everything is relative. 22MP is better than 16MP, but not as good as 39MP, when it comes to moire. And relativity includes what subject, what aperture, distance to subject, etc. Many factors.

    As far as ISO, I consider the Aptus II 5 a 25 to 200 ISO product (25 - 100 is ideal), although ISO 400 can be used with good exposures and high key subject matter in moderate print sizes.


    Steve Hendrix
    Thanks for the comments Steve. I agree, just spent the last half year working on a large project dealing with a variety of garments, and accessories. It never ceased to amaze me what would exhibit or not moire using the D3, also a 9 micron sensor. When it did rear its ugly head the only cure I found was to move in to half the distance, stitch two images together using my 85 PC lens and stopping down to F22 which all but cured the ailment.

    Regarding ISO performance your assessments seem right on the money. Since some one asked about its performance in the thread I went ahead and did a quick still life running through all of the ISO settings and will post some of those photos later. 400 is definitely sketchy.

  23. #23
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by schweikert View Post

    My complaints were always, that 25-50 ISO required pumping too much power with studio packs. I found myself doing multi pops for many shoots, even with multiple 2400W packs.

    Skin tones are truly the best part about the sensor in the A22 and A-II5 (same sensor).

    ...I've done plenty images side by side with the Canon 5DII and an A22 and the files are close but moire rears it ugly head with the Leaf often. Leaf Capture has one of the best local correction tools for moire especially since it saves it to the raw file allowing conversion in any other raw processor.

    Leaf Capture make nice conversions, tethering is rock solid, but as an app, not the most pleasurable to use. I ran more files through LR since I prefer color toning and color work that adds to an image. I loathe the curve tool in Leaf Capture. Never understood why they couldn't make normal curves and levels tools.

    Battery life on the A22 wasn't great.

    John
    What provision was there that allows you to do multi pop flashes with this back? Nikons allow this attribute but did not see anything in the software, maybe I missed it allowing this.

    Have not tested the back for skin tones, mainly because its low on my list of things I do. Hopefully I will have time today before having to return it as the demo ends.

    I am surprised to hear your 5D was even remotely close to the II-5. Just yesterday I had the opportunity to see some Nikon D3x files and while nice they did not get close to the II-5. Even the owner thought the same. Taken a step further I also compared some stitched D3 files using my D3/Cambo Ultima setup with Rody 105 digital lens. The composite files from the D3 were much larger but still even that did not compare to the II-5. For me at least this put an end to any argument about dslr vs mfdb image quality.

    Agree totally about the software, what a pill. And that idiotic Grain control thing you can't turn off. This more than anything forced me to use LR.

    Leaf are you listening? LOOSE THE GRAIN CONTROL. rant over.

    Regarding battery life, so far it seems really quite good on this setup. Have only used one battery for the time I have had the back.

    Thanks

    Rob

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Marseille, FRANCE
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    "Buy a dual charger and keep those things charged "

    i didn't find any dual charger compatible ?
    i'm using two hahnel MCL103 5samsung/leaf) but can't find any twin model compatible !

  25. #25
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    I've taken thousands of shots with my 22 MP back and less than a handful have displayed any moiré. Having said that, and as much as I love the 22MP backs, if my principal client was Harris Tweed I wouldn't be using one.

    Keith

  26. #26
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Since there seemed to be some interest in noise levels at the higher ISO, thought I would make one more post of images for all to see. The setup is a simple basic table top deal with controlled conditions as much as the camera would allow me to do.

    So the first image establishes the scene at 25 ISO, the crops with captions to explain.

    Thanks for looking.

    Rob

    just realized I left out the bellows detail for ISO 25, but can tell you even without noise reduction it is clean as a whistle. And oddly enough tried several different pieces of cloth/shirts in the setup to create some moire, as luck would have could find a thing that would do this, go figure.
    Last edited by routlaw; 18th August 2010 at 10:36.

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Since there seemed to be some interest in noise levels at the higher ISO, thought I would make one more post of images for all to see. The setup is a simple basic table top deal with controlled conditions as much as the camera would allow me to do.

    So the first image establishes the scene at 25 ISO, the crops with captions to explain. ......
    Great to see some more! So, ... it s a ISO 100 camera, with occasional grab shots in ISO 200 and a ISO 400 to better forget about. Maybe some trickery with software is still possible to extend a little further.
    Last edited by T.Karma; 8th February 2010 at 12:59.

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Rob, the whole thread has been very informative. Again, thanks for the effort. A good style to do a little 'conversational product review'.

  29. #29
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    Rob, the whole thread has been very informative. Again, thanks for the effort. A good style to do a little 'conversational product review'.
    Thanks glad you have found it helpful. I might post one more image, and believe me this one is a very quick and dirty one, but tells a lot of the IQ of this back. 25 second exposure @ ISO 25, jaw dropping results!

    Rob

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    So, after all you consider to get one?

  31. #31
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    And that idiotic Grain control thing you can't turn off. This more than anything forced me to use LR.
    Leaf are you listening? LOOSE THE GRAIN CONTROL. rant over.
    Rob if you push the slider to the right it is basically off.

    Yair

  32. #32
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    So, after all you consider to get one?
    It is a very strong consideration at this point, although I would not buy the Phamiya camera with it. The downsides as another poster pointed out is the Leaf software, and some attributes with the very large and mostly nice monitor. Its nothing like the one on my D3, nor are the user controls and interface.

    If I do belly up to the bar for one most likely it would be with a tech view camera, the Linhof Techno being at the top of the list assuming these things ever become available.

    One of the sobering aspects of this past weeks test and trials was going back to look at some scan back files shot at the same locations at 50% resolution (equal to a 12 mp camera). And yet the scan back images are so superior to this MF back even with far less "resolution" or rather far less pixels. And its not just the absolute detail either, there is a quality and separation of hue, tone and value bayer sensors just can't seem to duplicate.

    I also doubt after doing this I can be completely satisfied with my D3 images for landscape work either. Lots to ponder from here.

    Rob

  33. #33
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Rob if you push the slider to the right it is basically off.

    Yair
    Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately this worked sometime and others not. By that I mean I would slide the control so that its in the middle for zero effect, then do something else with the image within Leaf Capture and all of a sudden the grain control would be right back where it was full bore tilt max. It was a constant battle with this thing. Hated it. Pushing the slider to the right btw will max it out to 50 which was the non defeat-able default of all images coming into LC. I did have 11.2.9 version of the software.

    Thanks

    Rob

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    It is a very strong consideration at this point, although I would not buy the Phamiya camera with it. The downsides as another poster pointed out is the Leaf software, and some attributes with the very large and mostly nice monitor. Its nothing like the one on my D3, nor are the user controls and interface.

    If I do belly up to the bar for one most likely it would be with a tech view camera, the Linhof Techno being at the top of the list assuming these things ever become available.

    ......... Lots to ponder from here.

    Rob
    Understand. Lets hope C1 will support the Aptus II Line soon, including live view, (it is promised) and then the software stuff may be sorted out.

  35. #35
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Ok this is the last one. The image was taken some half hour maybe more past sunset, in other words it was quite dark and dim on the street, so the tones are bumped up a tad for clarity. ISO 25, 25 second exposure, @ F11, developed in LR with default noise control (color 25) and USM. As previously stated I was quite amazed by the performance here. I suspect most of this picture would have been mush with the D3.

    Rob
    Last edited by routlaw; 18th August 2010 at 10:36.

  36. #36
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately this worked sometime and others not. By that I mean I would slide the control so that its in the middle for zero effect, then do something else with the image within Leaf Capture and all of a sudden the grain control would be right back where it was full bore tilt max. It was a constant battle with this thing. Hated it. Pushing the slider to the right btw will max it out to 50 which was the non defeat-able default of all images coming into LC. I did have 11.2.9 version of the software.

    Thanks

    Rob

    Rob:

    I'm wondering if it is possible you made the adjustment, but didn't save the settings? I haven't experienced this issue with the grain control.

    Regarding the Linhof Techno, it is indeed available as I sold the first one in the USA about a month ago. It is a beautiful camera and quite modular within the Linhof family, accepting legacy lensboards and sliding backs (Linhof and KaptureGroup versions for the M679).

    http://www.captureintegration.com/category/steve/


    Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

  37. #37
    Senior Member routlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Rob:

    I'm wondering if it is possible you made the adjustment, but didn't save the settings? I haven't experienced this issue with the grain control.

    Regarding the Linhof Techno, it is indeed available as I sold the first one in the USA about a month ago. It is a beautiful camera and quite modular within the Linhof family, accepting legacy lensboards and sliding backs (Linhof and KaptureGroup versions for the M679).

    http://www.captureintegration.com/category/steve/


    Steve Hendrix
    Yep did all that too, hit the save command, the it would just flip back to the 50 mark again no matter how many times I made the change and hit save. Still I suspect I was doing something not quite right, but it might be in Leafs best interest to make the whole thing a bit more user friendly.

    Would love to have seen one of these Technos. They sure look like they would do the trick.

    Rob

  38. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Steve's gonna shoot me for resurrecting this (joking), but here is my comparison back in 2008 of my Aptus22 and Canon 5DII: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...&hl=aptus+5dii

    I shoot Comet packs. I would just do multi pops with the studio blacked out, camera set to a multi second shutter speed to equate 2 secs per pop. I also have a Comet pack that can auto fire in sequence for multi pops which is faster than doing it by hand so shutter speed can be shorter. Why keep the shutter shorter even in seconds? Noise does creep in a tiny bit the closer you get to the 30 sec max on the Leaf even at 25-50 ISO.

    As for moire, in all the people shoots I did, I would see moire quite a bit in fabrics the subject wore. So I spent time doing many different removal techniques depending on what I wanted to preserve. But for the most part the files worked out well in print.

    In all honesty, I think you would be pleased with the Leaf on a technical cam, it will create beautiful and clean files, but ISO 25 inherently forces longer exposures with waning light, and 30 secs max comes into play often then. At higher ISOs, noise amplifies quite a bit with long exposures. A 100 ISO file at 30 sec is passible in print but don't expect doing much adjustments at all if needed without seeing some chunky noise. I have gotten away with a lot even in full page and spread magazine shoots.

    I shot the back a lot and knew what I could and could not do, but I still pushed it at times with results that passed but some purists would balk at. It all comes down to the print and not 100% screen view.

    I moved on and sold it simply because I needed a camera that was much more flexible to my needs, a 5DII provided such flexibility.

    In prints up to 17x22 (largest I print in house), anyone would be hard pressed to see a difference in print between the Aptus22 and 5DII. I still have prints laying around I would show friends to see if they could pick which cam and invariably they would just guess wrong since nothing really separated them except the frame proportions.

    John

    Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    What provision was there that allows you to do multi pop flashes with this back? Nikons allow this attribute but did not see anything in the software, maybe I missed it allowing this.

    Have not tested the back for skin tones, mainly because its low on my list of things I do. Hopefully I will have time today before having to return it as the demo ends.

    I am surprised to hear your 5D was even remotely close to the II-5. Just yesterday I had the opportunity to see some Nikon D3x files and while nice they did not get close to the II-5. Even the owner thought the same. Taken a step further I also compared some stitched D3 files using my D3/Cambo Ultima setup with Rody 105 digital lens. The composite files from the D3 were much larger but still even that did not compare to the II-5. For me at least this put an end to any argument about dslr vs mfdb image quality.

    Agree totally about the software, what a pill. And that idiotic Grain control thing you can't turn off. This more than anything forced me to use LR.

    Leaf are you listening? LOOSE THE GRAIN CONTROL. rant over.

    Regarding battery life, so far it seems really quite good on this setup. Have only used one battery for the time I have had the back.

    Thanks

    Rob

  39. #39
    ppap
    Guest

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Sorry where are the images? I cannot see anything

  40. #40
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Quote Originally Posted by ppap View Post
    Sorry where are the images? I cannot see anything
    If you're looking for Aptus-II 5 raw files I'd suggest you contact your local dealer who can get you raw files, answer any questions you have, and get you a hands on evaluation (the best "test files" you can get are the ones you shoot yourself in your normal style of your normal subjects).

    Yair (with Leaf) also frequents here and can send you files.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  41. #41
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Leaf Aptus II-5 Image's

    Doug,

    I think the question is based on the absence of any images in the thread at all. Perhaps due to the age of the prior posts?

    Steve

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •