The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel kit that won't kill my back

David Klepacki

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced the prism and WLF are necessary. Sometimes, long periods of WLF use will leave our neck strained from looking down all the time. The prism would allow you to alternate on days, and alleviate any discomfort, should it arise.

mark1958

I have used the same bag with my MF gear as well. I really do like it. However if it is full and after walking for a long period, my shoulder hurts more than a backpack.

Tom: Take a look at the Domke J1 as a possible shoulder bag for the MF outfit. In mine, I can fit the Mamiya 645 with any lens, and have four other compartments for the other lenses, plus side pockets. Also get the US Postal Carriers strap pad from Domke as it actually makes the weight on the shoulder bearable ;)

tom in mpls

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced the prism and WLF are necessary. Sometimes, long periods of WLF use will leave our neck strained from looking down all the time. The prism would allow you to alternate on days, and alleviate any discomfort, should it arise.
Funny how roundabout my reasoning can get. The wlf is lighter, but if you want to have flash available you need the prism. So it would be a smaller/lighter kit to use the 645/prism/55/flash than to use both viewfinders.

I am still fairly new to this system, but I rather enjoy the lower camera angle of the wlf so that would favor taking both finders. Unless lightest possible kit is the primary concern...oy, my head aches.

Last edited:

engel001

Tom, I am also in the Minneapolis area and took along a Contax 645 with P25 on vacation to Switzerland last summer. The attached photo was with my hiking kit, consisting of the 55mm and the 120mm Makro, and the TLA200 (this photo was with the 55mm). I used a monopod for most shots or placed the camera on my backpack for stability, using the self-timer. I was very happy with it but am still learning. On a Southwest USA car trip last fall, my kit was the 45-90mm zoom and the 120mm Makro with a Carbon One tripod.
This picture, taken in flat noon sunlight using fill-flash, was from the Segantini-Huette, a reclusive painter's alp hut overlooking the Engadin valley and St. Moritz.

David Klepacki

Tom,

NO more agony necessary. I really think you will find the following system as the best overall compromise for your vacation needs:

Contax 645 w/ grid screen,WLF,prism,55, and TLA200.

Your walk around/daily setup should be: WLF and 55.
When you need to add flash, then swap out the WLF for the prism. It only takes about ten seconds. When not in use, the prism is only a little extra weight, but can squeeze into small spaces in your pack (like vertically).

I don't think you can get any more quality per gm. This is a VERY small and lightweight travel kit for MF quality.

If you still need more rational justification to ease your mind, you can also think about it this way. You traded off the luxury of the zoom, to get the benefits of the prism and flash (roughly a wash in weight and size). This is a great compromise.

Just take this setup and don't think twice. Enjoy your family and vacation and the photographic memories.

tom in mpls

engel001, thanks for the input and the lovely sample.

David, OCD is part of who I am! I know I will continue to argue with myself about the right kit, even after I return. At any rate, your comments have allowed me to relax and get on with the other things in my life that need to be obsessed over.:LOL: