The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which ( non H1 ) mount for your digi back and why?

PeterA

Some discussion regarding what mount to get on your digital back thoughts and experiences regarding 'mount' choices may help those considering this decision as part of their back choice decision.

Background
: I have just a bought an HD3-31 from Marc so my H series Hasselblad kit is complete..so ..

I also have Leaf 75Aptus ( 31 megapixel and only 1.1X crop).. shoots at only 1.2frames a sec vs 1.9 in 75s mode) The current coupling mount on my Leaf is H1. So I can sell the back ( which I might at a decent price ) OR Keep the back since its buy value is now so depreciated that it isn't worth me selling it..

Question:

IF i were to keep my back - which alternative mount should I get Leaf to change me to? ( Mamiya or Contax, or V hasselblad or FE Hasselblad)? ?- that is the question...

I would appreciate your opinions and thoughts and experiences - and so I am sure would many others considering this important choice in the overall decision.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Pete

mark1958

Peter. I think Leaf will charge 2000 dollars to change the mount. You can keep an H1 or H2 and the Leaf, keeping the same lenses in common.

Some discussion regarding what mount to get on your digital back thoughts and experiences regarding 'mount' choices may help those considering this decision as part of their back choice decision.

Background
: I have just a bought an HD3-31 from Marc so my H series Hasselblad kit is complete..so ..

I also have Leaf 75Aptus ( 31 megapixel and only 1.1X crop).. shoots at only 1.2frames a sec vs 1.9 in 75s mode) The current coupling mount on my Leaf is H1. So I can sell the back ( which I might at a decent price ) OR Keep the back since its buy value is now so depreciated that it isn't worth me selling it..

Question:

IF i were to keep my back - which alternative mount should I get Leaf to change me to? ( Mamiya or Contax, or V hasselblad or FE Hasselblad)? ?- that is the question...

I would appreciate your opinions and thoughts and experiences - and so I am sure would many others considering this important choice in the overall decision.

Pete

D

DougDolde

I asked Leaf about changing mounts. They charge $2100 and it goes directly through Leaf not a dealer.

Email from Rick Adshead [[email protected]] -

"This should go directly through Leaf America.

Please contact Pat Buono, 866-487-5323, ext 4, to get this process started. He will order the parts and then give you an RMA # for you to ship in the back once the parts are available to do the modification.

--
Rick Adshead-Leaf America Technical Support"

PeterA

Guy I use it on the Alpa now..and it will probably stay on it like it is glued..however I can do the same thing with any other mount on to the Alpa..and if I get another mount - I can use it on a different alternative system ....

Mark, I am thinking do I change the mounting from H since I now will haev a dedicated H back..and therefore add flexibility/ choice..since my Alpa can take any mount..

PeterA

Doug - thanks yes Leaf do this service ..however I am in Australia and would have to send it back to Israel probably..doesn't matter - what I need to do is make up my mind to keep it as a back-up H series back ..or change it to another system like V or Mamiya..or Contax..all this gear is very cheap to buy as something different..

Stuart Richardson

As far as I understand, Leaf won't change it to an AFi mount, right? But you did not like the Hy6 though, if I remember correctly, so that is probably not your best option. The only other systems it will work on are Contax, Mamiya and V mount, right? All the alpa and view camera stuff should work already. The V series will work on your H series with an adapter, so unless you need 1/1000th of a second or higher, I would just stick with your H series. I would say just sell it...perhaps to me (mostly joking). Do you feel that you are missing anything in particular from the H system that would require this back in a different mount?

PeterA

As far as I understand, Leaf won't change it to an AFi mount, right?
I think this is correct - lousy but correct.
But you did not like the Hy6 though, if I remember correctly, so that is probably not your best option.
Yes i have no interest in the Afi - compared to an H seris camera it is just silly.
The only other systems it will work on are Contax, Mamiya and V mount, right?
Pretty much - yes - I do haev a graflock aaptor to use the camera with a view camera if I like.
All the alpa and view camera stuff should work already.
Capital A in Alpa - please!! LOL - yes I haev an H mount adaptor from Alpa.
The V series will work on your H series with an adapter, so unless you need 1/1000th of a second or higher, I would just stick with your H series.
Your logic is impeccable..
I would say just sell it...perhaps to me (mostly joking). Do you feel that you are missing anything in particular from the H system that would require this back in a different mount?
I am extremely happy with my H series lenses- autofcus, beautiful 'drawing' high quality build the system reeks of quality no doubt even better quality build than Leica lenses as far as I am concerned.

I dont like having 'reduntant' gear hanging around. So I am trying to decide whether to just glue the back on my Alpa if I keep it - or sell the thing. However, I am not a person who dumps gear easily. Added to my dilemma is teh fact that i have a mint H1 body now as spare as well.

Logic says I should sell the Leaf and spare H1 body. But this is my hobby - I am not very interested in logic LOL If you are interested Richard - maybe you can talk me into selling ..:)

fotografz

Background

Question:

Pete
Peter, if The Aptus could be fitted to the focal plane shutter 200 series camera with FE lenses, I would never have sold my Aptus 75s. I think it can be used on a 200 series camera, but only with Zeiss C leaf shutter lenses and a sync cord from the lens port to the camera back ... but i'd check on that.

As I mentioned to you, using the CF adapter, the H1, H2, H2D, H2F, H3D and H3D-II cameras take the Zeiss C leaf shutter lenses already, so you wouldn't gain anything over what you already have.

I still think you should "glue" the Aptus 75 to the ALPA. If you want to spiff that outfit, get the 75 upgraded to the 75s ... mine ran me $3,000. Faster capture speed and way bigger buffer, firewire 800 for tethered studio shots and a few more improvements I don't recall.

But I suspect you are looking for a new adventure ...

So why goof around with wimpy gear? Here is what YOU should be looking at ... LOL!

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2006/09/dalsa-chip-incorporated-in-sei.html

Or this 470 meg job that produces a 2.7 gig tiff file ...

http://www.gadgets-weblog.com/50226711/seitz_roundshot_d3_panorama_camera.php

Oh, I'm such a bad influence ... hee, hee, hee.

PeterA

As far as I understand, Leaf won't change it to an AFi mount, right? But you did not like the Hy6 though, if I remember correctly, so that is probably not your best option. The only other systems it will work on are Contax, Mamiya and V mount, right? All the alpa and view camera stuff should work already. The V series will work on your H series with an adapter, so unless you need 1/1000th of a second or higher, I would just stick with your H series. I would say just sell it...perhaps to me (mostly joking). Do you feel that you are missing anything in particular from the H system that would require this back in a different mount?
Stuart - my apologies for getting your name wrong in previous post - it was very early in the morning mate!

Marc - the day you shoot with such an ugly thing, is the day I might consider it ..:ROTFL:

Stuart Richardson

No worries Peter. As for selling to me...well, let's just say I am pretty silly. I have several Schneider lenses for the 6008AF and I have tested both the AFi and the Hy6. I liked them both, though the sinar was not properly adjusted...the focus was off between the sensor and the back I guess. Anyway, I just did not really like the H series cameras from a handling perspective...I know that is considered a strong point for them, but I really like the handling of the Hy6/AFi...I have not tested it enough to see how it compares in terms of AF and metering, but AF is not supremely important to me. Only two of my lenses are AF, and I often use them in manual focus anyway...

Well, everyone has their preferences. I do think it is an absurdly stupid move on Leaf's part to force their current customers to buy an entirely new back in order to use an AFi. How do they expect to transition people to the system when existing backs can't be supported? As Will Ferrell once said, "I feel like I am taking crazy pills!"

PeterA

Stuart - I think all the back makers are moving to the Hasselblad model of integrated systems. None of the back makers has ever cared much for the buyer of systems regarding depreciated 'value'- depreciation of the so called 'value' being hit by accelerated depreciation allowances from the tax departments as well as the relentless 2 year cycle of 'improvements'. Of course this cant go on forever..teh fact is though that you can pick up pretty much any so called old back that hasnt been abused too much and have a great high resolution quality file to play with. You can see an enormous difference in IQ between teh very best DSLR files and a relatively low range MFD back. Always though teh light has to be right - otherwise like any shot irrespective of the system you end up with mud.

Most cameras can make lovely prints to A4 - it is when you want to print large that IQ kicks in as well as knowing your way around RAW and PS etc etc..- I guess thats what Jack and Guy are helping people with!

The prices for Afi and Hy6 are astronomical - then you can start buying some lenses. Too rich for me mate. Funny - different people prefer different camera bodies, the H series body I like very much and is very well balanced even with heavy long lenses on it..I know it doesn't bend with a long lens on it..-:)

Last edited:

JimCollum

Peter, if The Aptus could be fitted to the focal plane shutter 200 series camera with FE lenses, I would never have sold my Aptus 75s.

... but i'm *very* glad you did :)

So why goof around with wimpy gear? Here is what YOU should be looking at ... LOL!

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2006/09/dalsa-chip-incorporated-in-sei.html

Or this 470 meg job that produces a 2.7 gig tiff file ...

http://www.gadgets-weblog.com/50226711/seitz_roundshot_d3_panorama_camera.php

Oh, I'm such a bad influence ... hee, hee, hee.

I shoot with the Betterlight and it's pano adapter

http://www.betterlight.com/panoWideView.html

with 9,000 x 150,000 pano's being possible.

here's one thats 6000 x 60000

Stuart Richardson

Well, that's the thing for me really...I have the lenses already, and the Hy6 is expensive, but not as bad as some might believe. I don't like a prism, so I don't need to worry about that. The body and wlf is around 4000...I already own the 4560 film back, so I would just need the adapter for it. So I could actually get the camera for 4500 or so I would imagine...that's a lot, but I would subtract the value of my 6008AF, which I would sell...probably about 2000 dollars...then it is just getting a back for it. Therein lies the problem. But if I could find a Emotion 22, I could get the adapter for it and conceivably get a 22mp hy6 system for well under 20,000...it is just about finding the emotion 22 or a used 54LV and the rotating hy6 adapter. The nice thing about Sinar...and I really like them for this...is that despite all their other issues with service and software (easy Thierry, I am not trying to offend you! Also, I have not tried eXposure, so the software comment applies to captureshop), their cross-platform compatibility is superb. My only other options at this point are to wait until demos become available (at least 6 months), buy into another system...probably an AFDII or III, or just ignore it and get a more modern DSLR like the D3.

PeterA

Jim - lovely shot and very strange wave motion so close to shore.

Stuart - I looked carefully at Sinar exactly because they offer that wonderful buy any mount you like and use the back on any system you like philosophy.

Email me if you think you may have any interest in a Leaf 75.

Pete

JimCollum

Jim - lovely shot and very strange wave motion so close to shore.

Stuart - I looked carefully at Sinar exactly because they offer that wonderful buy any mount you like and use the back on any system you like philosophy.

Email me if you think you may have any interest in a Leaf 75.

Pete
the waves are an artifact of time (sort of like a 5 second exposure of flowing water)

Since the back scans from left to right, it takes a 1 pixel x6000 pixel snapshot every /240th of a second. Since the wave front is closer after each stripe of exposure, it appears as though they are moving from left to right.

T

thsinar

hi Stuart,

I do take it easy, no worry!

However, if you have some servicing issues you can always contact me per PM or directly to my email address mentioned below in my signature: we will then try to address those problems.

As for Captureshop: am not offended, and I know that some do not like it. I respect this. Give it a try with eXposure: a huge step has been taken, IMO.

Best regards,
Thierry

The nice thing about Sinar...and I really like them for this...is that despite all their other issues with service and software (easy Thierry, I am not trying to offend you! Also, I have not tried eXposure, so the software comment applies to captureshop), their cross-platform compatibility is superb.

PeterA

Thanks for explaining that Jim. I forgot you were using a scanning back here..

oh and Jim - thank you VERY much for the link - very interesting..

Pete

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

hi Stuart,

I do take it easy, no worry!

However, if you have some servicing issues you can always contact me per PM or directly to my email address mentioned below in my signature: we will then try to address those problems.

As for Captureshop: am not offended, and I know that some do not like it. I respect this. Give it a try with eXposure: a huge step has been taken, IMO.

Best regards,
Thierry
Thanks for the response Thierry. I have not had any service issues myself...I am only relaying what dealers and customers have told me. The problem is not the quality of the service, which is supposed to be very good. It is that service often has to be done outside the county, it can take awhile, and there are reports that communication is not as good as with some of the other manufacturers. Leaf, for example, is praised for having overnight service in most cases...within the US, along with very good communication.
I don't say this to promote them or denigrate you, only that this is what customers are told when they go to audition digital backs in the US with dealers who sell both Leaf and Sinar backs. I have spoken with 3 dealers, all of whom said the same thing.

As for eXposure, is there anywhere I can download it? When I tested the 75LV last week, the dealer did not have it available.

Peter -- thanks for the comments. I will keep them in mind.

T

thsinar

Thanks for this feedback Stuart, much appreciated and it will be forwarded to the right responsible at Sinar.

You can download eXposure from our webpage, if a registered member: registering takes a couple of minutes. All you need is to have at least one Sinar product with a serial number to be a Sinar Owners' Group (SOG) member. Upon clicking the "OK" button in the registration window, the system will generate and send you automatically and instantly a "User Name" and "Password" for you to login and access the "Downloads" in our homepage: there you can download all available softwares and firmwares.

Do not hesitate to contact also Greg King at SBI ([email protected]): he is also able to provide you any information as well as eXposure.

Or come back to me if you have any question/problem.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks for the response Thierry. I have not had any service issues myself...I am only relaying what dealers and customers have told me. The problem is not the quality of the service, which is supposed to be very good. It is that service often has to be done outside the county, it can take awhile, and there are reports that communication is not as good as with some of the other manufacturers. Leaf, for example, is praised for having overnight service in most cases...within the US, along with very good communication.
I don't say this to promote them or denigrate you, only that this is what customers are told when they go to audition digital backs in the US with dealers who sell both Leaf and Sinar backs. I have spoken with 3 dealers, all of whom said the same thing.

As for eXposure, is there anywhere I can download it? When I tested the 75LV last week, the dealer did not have it available.

Peter -- thanks for the comments. I will keep them in mind.