Site Sponsors

Thread: Cleaning Phase One Sensor

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Phase One Sensor

I know this has probably been asked before, but I could not find it on a search. What is the best method for cleaning the Phase One sensor? I have heard some criticisms of the kit they send with the sensor. I would appreciate your imput on what works well. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Cleaning Phase One Sensor

I use Eclipse 2 and sensor swabs. I even carry the E-Wipes (individually wrapped pec-pads pre-wetted with Eclipse) in my bag for use in the field. I've done a perfect clean in the field with them, by following up the E-Wipe with a NEW lens microfiber cloth. I keep an extra new lenscloth in the bag for the sensor if needed.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use their kit, but only the alcohol solution.
    Mostly in the field, a good blowing off with a filtered blower does the trick.
    Like Jack, I carry the e-wipes but I have never needed to use them in anger.
    -bob

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use Eclipse 2 but use there(Phase) pad and cloths to clean in one swipe
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

CI has a video on how to clean the sensor here. Scroll down about a third of the page and you'll see it.

I've had my P45+ for well over a year now and honesty can never remember having to use anything other than a quick blow to clean it. I do remember cleaning my P30+ once.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

To save scrolling, Don's recommended post is accessed directly here.

BlueLemon

And which for the H3D2 ?

Do Hasselblad have their own solution or which brand can clean the H3D2-39 sensor ?

Any advice

Claus

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Phase solution, though have only really needed the alcohol solution. Usually the blower is all I need. I think Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration mentioned that the Leaf cleaning pads were more absorbant than the Phase pads, but I haven't tried them yet---Pec pads?? The Phase solution works, though the pads could be better at absorbing the solution....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea i would like to get some new pads myself and may get some e-wipes for the road. Gone shopping
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I've used the e-wipes on my Hasselblad sensor and they did a good job. Folded to the width of the sensor then one swipe.

Keith

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    FWIW, I've used the e-wipes on my Hasselblad sensor and they did a good job. Folded to the width of the sensor then one swipe.

Keith
    I found that the e-wipes are a little too "wet" right out of the pkg. and tended to streak. OK if I let them air dry for a few seconds. I am now trying a Zeiss cleaning wipe that seems to do a better job.

Steve

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HA. I was going to post our article. But it looks like I got beat to it twice!

Don't we feel loved :-).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought one feature of the removable back was that you could just rub the sensor glass with your shirt tail. Am I doing something wrong? Should I dip my shirt in Eclipse first?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I thought one feature of the removable back was that you could just rub the sensor glass with your shirt tail. Am I doing something wrong? Should I dip my shirt in Eclipse first?
    Stephen - I think you owe me a new keyboard! I spit my coffee out reading this. This is something I'd expect from Ken...

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Stephen - I think you owe me a new keyboard! I spit my coffee out reading this. This is something I'd expect from Ken...

Don't laugh i have done it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my hassleblad CFV39 came new with a few individually packaged E-wipes. they work for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I use the Phase solution, though have only really needed the alcohol solution. Usually the blower is all I need. I think Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration mentioned that the Leaf cleaning pads were more absorbant than the Phase pads, but I haven't tried them yet---Pec pads?? The Phase solution works, though the pads could be better at absorbing the solution....

Yes, I recommend the Leaf wipes with the Phase One kit. The wipes from the Phase One kit will usually get most of the clear alcohol up, but if you have to use the blue solution, it's a soppy mess. The Leaf wipes work better with either solution.

Technique is also important. I open the bottle, fold the wipe in fours and hold the wipe over the bottle upside down until roughly a thumbnail size area of moisture appears on the wipe. Then I either use the rigid plastic blade or just wipe 3 times length-wise with the folded wipe.

I never use any air, blower or anything for dust. I use an anti-static brush.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve how can we get the Leaf pads and at what costs. Thanks

I could use some

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post

...and that's a clean shirt tail....

Okay---no more shirt tails.....ready to try Steve's recommendation with the Leaf wipes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Steve how can we get the Leaf pads and at what costs. Thanks

I could use some

They are $30. Sounds like a lot, but they should last a while. I really try to minimize having to use the agents and rely more often on the anti-static brush. The cleaning agents I use mostly as a bi-weekly or monthly good cleaning or for those occasions when something is not moving when I use the brush.

Steve Hendrix

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    They are $30. Sounds like a lot, but they should last a while. I really try to minimize having to use the agents and rely more often on the anti-static brush. The cleaning agents I use mostly as a bi-weekly or monthly good cleaning or for those occasions when something is not moving when I use the brush.

Steve Hendrix
    I looked briefly at the CI site and couldn't find the leaf cleaning products..can they be ordered online?? if so, a link would be appreciated.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    I found that the e-wipes are a little too "wet" right out of the pkg. and tended to streak. OK if I let them air dry for a few seconds. I am now trying a Zeiss cleaning wipe that seems to do a better job.

Steve
    The problem with letting e-wipes "air dry" a bit is they are nearly pure alcohol which is is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture right out of the air. Moisture on the wipe is what leaves streaks. Hence, I get everything ready, pull the wipe out, unfurl it and do a quick, even pass.

E-wipes aren't cheap either, about $1 each, but they sure are convenient: http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/PZ1045/
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Waste of pure alcohol IMO

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    The problem with letting e-wipes "air dry" a bit is they are nearly pure alcohol which is is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture right out of the air. Moisture on the wipe is what leaves streaks. Hence, I get everything ready, pull the wipe out, unfurl it and do a quick, even pass.

E-wipes aren't cheap either, about $1 each, but they sure are convenient: http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/PZ1045/
    I'll have to look and see if I still have some e-wipes and try again. (your comment also induced me to look up the difference between hydroscopic and hydrophilic..:>)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll have to look and see if I still have some e-wipes and try again. (your comment also induced me to look up the difference between hydroscopic and hydrophilic..:>)
    My bad, looks like it should have been hyGroscopic, meaning readily absorbs moisture...
    Jack

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    My bad, looks like it should have been hyGroscopic, meaning readily absorbs moisture...
    Your are ahead of me...I thought hygroscopic and hydroscopic were interchangeable; totally different meanings.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your are ahead of me...I thought hygroscopic and hydroscopic were interchangeable; totally different meanings.

Steve
    Well I have been using hyDroscopic, which apparently is not even a real a word, in place of the word I meant, hyGroscopic, incorrectly for the last 40 years or so, so there you go... Feeling somewhat stupid, but then I've never been corrected before either and I'm never too old to learn . I suspect many folks like me actually thought the proper word is hyDroscopic since it more closely relates to water...
    Jack

tetsrfun

proper word is hyDroscopic since it more closely relates to water...
    Me too...never too old to learn. :>)

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I looked briefly at the CI site and couldn't find the leaf cleaning products..can they be ordered online?? if so, a link would be appreciated.

Steve

There is not an e-commerce component on our website at this time.

But you can call 404-522-7662 and speak to a real person.

Steve Hendrix

markrutland

Hi,
    I'm new here and I think this is a fantastic forum.

Pardom me for the silly question: are you talking about the cleaning of the filter (IR or AA) or the sensor behind? I bought a used Kodak DCS 645H back that probably has some dirt also on the sensor, what can I use for it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mark and welcome!

The Phase back's sensor has a factory-installed IR/UV cut filter, and unlike your Kodak DCS back it is sealed and not user-removable. So we are really talking about cleaning the outer surface of the sensor filter glass.

For your DCS, you can use the same procedure, but you have three surfaces potentially where dust can reside instead of one.
    Jack

markrutland

Thanks you Jack that clears it all.

Post Thanks / Like

I am doing table top product work at f/20 and need my sensor as clean room clean as possible.

Did an eclipse pad wet cleaning, followed by dry with 'eyelead' sticky pad
    While most of dust is gone (eyelead is great that way), I still have minimal scattering of blips and bits of what are likely residue from wet cleaning.

This would not be a problem below f/14, but I am working around f/20
    Any tips?

thanks
    Eric
    Eric Korenman
    www.korenman.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The best process I have found for cleaning the "sensor cover glass" on a Phase One Back is to use the Leaf wipes with the Phase One cleaning solutions.

Phase makes an A and B, the A is blue and is only needed when you get a stubborn stain on the sensor. The B solution is similar to eclispe in that it dries very quickly and won't leave a smear.

You can use the B solution 90% of time, usually just one set of passes does it. If you use the A solution, you have to then use the B solution. A will streak when used.

The Leaf brand of wipes are like no other material I have yet to see and I have looked at most of them, Visible Dust, Eclispe Pec Pads, and the Phase One branded wipes. All of these wipe are made from materials that will come off and end up on the sensor, they are more course also. The Leaf wipes are amazing in how well they work. The leaf material will not streak and is excellent.

You can get a Phase One kit from any Phase One dealer and most of the same dealers will also have the Leaf wipes.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

On my Leaf Aptus 75 there looks to be a speck of dust UNDER the glass (it casts a black fuzzy blob on the images). I guess there's no way to remove this oneself, is there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't believe so, if it's under the glass, Leaf will need to clean it.

Paul

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can definitely remove the IR filter - it's just four screws and you can only refit it one way. However, you need to take care only to use a blower on the sensor but you could wet clean the reverse of the IR glass if needed.

It's up to you. Obviously getting Leaf service to do it in a clean room is the preferred approach but it's not the only one if you are prepared to take the risk. I have two filters for my Aptus 65 and regularly swap between them (one IR pass, the other IR cut). You just have to understand that you can't wet clean the sensor, or at least I DEFINITELY wouldn't myself.

As per Paul, I highly recommend the Leaf wipes - lint free . I've never actually had to use the Phase A solution (blue) and only ever needed the clear B solution. One day maybe I'll need to but not yet.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have tried them all. The phase solutions with the wipes that are included in the package; the phase solution with the leaf wipes (which are lint free).....I find the easiest and quickest method to clean my sensor is the E wipes supported by the card that comes with the phase kit.
    I place the fully saturated E wipe with two layers wrapped around the card (which fits my glass covered sensor exactly) at a thirty degree angle and pass it over the area in the same direction several times. Using this method always had resulted in a spot free image when I take a picture of the sky immediately after cleaning to verify that that the images will be dust free
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure if the glass was like Phase One's. I don't think I want to try taking the Phase One off.

I also forgot to mention the plastic card, that Stanley mentioned. I like the plastic card that comes with the Phase One kit, as it's cut to 1.3 on one side and full size on the other. Makes the whole wiping process so much straight forward.

The problem I have with the Phase Wipes, is that the material can grab the edge of the sensor opening, and then become embedded so that one single fiber is hanging there. Getting it off, well it's a bit tricky. The Leaf wipes won't do this. I save the used leaf wipes to use on my glasses and lenses. Love them.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

thanks - will look into the leaf wipes.
    is this the same? Mamiya Sensor Cleaning Wipes (15 Pack) 690-00081A B&H Photo

also just learned about using LCC tool with Capture 1.

cheers,
    Eric
    Eric Korenman
    www.korenman.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by faneuil View Post

cheers,
    Eric
    Those are the ones.

I've also used the CI kit that Steve referred to - better than the phase wipes that catch hang threads, but the Leaf ones are still better, IMHO.

They all work well - it's just matters of how well.

Btw, at the weekend I had to clean the sensor on my A7r and didn't have the requisite cleaning spatula etc to hand, only my MF kit. Quick fix for 35mm? Phase wipe, double wrapped around an SD card and the phase one liquid B. Macgyver solution to the problem
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by faneuil View Post

cheers,
    Eric

Eric -

They're also available here:

https://captureintegration.com/produ...leaning-wipes/

And we'll include the box!

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Post Thanks / Like

Leaf wipes are good but are difficult to be found here in france !

anyone tried this product ?

http://www.reidlimaging.com/DAMFeng.htm