The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax countdown..........

roanjoh

I think Pentax will have to do something drastic to lure any pros if they are to enter the Medium format market - and the only way they can do that is to bring the price closer to the high-end DSLR's. This move is reminding me of the time when Canon introduced the first sub $1000 Dslr - a total game changer at that time - and certainly a smart move as they pretty dominated that market even with Nikon introducing the D70.

Roan

roanjoh

If the Pentax camera comes in at 40Mp and at a pricepoint even close to
what is being speculated then this is a product that will kick the cr@p out
of existing competitive products.
Not necessarily that it will outperform but that it could quickly outsell.

Mrk
www.marktomalty.com
40 mpx, 3 focus points, 2x SDHC card slots are all pretty much confirmed. And a sensor that is 1.7X larger than 35 mm. Now the big question is the price. I guess we'll find out tomorrow :)

T

tetsrfun

I think Pentax will have to do something drastic to lure any pros if they are to enter the Medium format market - and the only way they can do that is to bring the price closer to the high-end DSLR's. This move is reminding me of the time when Canon introduced the first sub $1000 Dslr - a total game changer at that time - and certainly a smart move as they pretty dominated that market even with Nikon introducing the D70.

Roan
Why would they want to especially in the current economy??...If the price/product is in the range speculated, it's is an interesting corporate decision. When the Hoya-Pentax merger was in process, it was speculated that the camera division would be sold off. I don't know the breakdown of revenues but I suspect that cameras is a small percentage of Pentax revenues and very small in the Hoya spread sheet.

Steve

carstenw

I think Pentax will have to do something drastic to lure any pros if they are to enter the Medium format market - and the only way they can do that is to bring the price closer to the high-end DSLR's.
Why would they want to go after the pro market? There is no money in that. If they can get some prosumers, they could make way more money. There are lots of rich people with an interest in photography, but very few rich pros...

Terry

Why would they want to go after the pro market? There is no money in that. If they can get some prosumers, they could make way more money. There are lots of rich people with an interest in photography, but very few rich pros...
I am looking forward to seeing this announcement. I really liked using the S2 last week. Ergonomically it really worked for me. Want to see another "all in one" incarnation.

The new Pentax dMF has some nice features:

40 megapixal Kodak sensor 44mm x 33mm
11 point autofocus
dual SD/SDHC card slots
dust removal mechanism
electronic level

There is also mention of optical preview and digital preview but no details.

bensonga

Very nice! Since it's compatible with legacy Pentax 645 lenses, I'm guessing it might be with Pentax 67 lenses also (with the Pentax 67->645 adapter). This is GREAT news for longtime Pentax medium format owners. :clap:

Is that a tripod mount hole on the left side of the body?

Not sure if the price is low enough to capture many prosumers however.

Gary

I am looking forward to seeing this announcement. I really liked using the S2 last week. Ergonomically it really worked for me. Want to see another "all in one" incarnation.
Terry, this Pentax announcement is going to make your scratch your head with regards to a decision on the S2. I forged ahead and bought the S2 knowing full well about the Pentax rumors and Hasselbald H4D-40 announcement. For me the biggest selling points for the S2 were the ergonomics and no need for specialized software to account for lens corrections. I placed a lot of value in those two things.

It looks like the Pentax will have lens corrections as well, but it is one thing to rationalize the $20K for a HB or $23K for PhaseOne P40+ versus the $27.5K for the Leica and quite a different thing to rationalize $10k for the Pentax versus $27.5k for the Leica.

The price (at least in USD equivalent terms) is incredible for what you get. Of course we have yet to see US availability and price.

Sharokin

I'd like to hear why Hasselblad and Phase One have not been able to put a high resolution LCD in their cameras after Pentax did it in their first MF digital camera.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>put a high resolution LCD in their cameras after Pentax did it in their first MF digital camera.

Maybe because they produce DSLRs for a long time.

roanjoh

Now we'll wait for the sample images. I wonder what this will do to the Leica S2. In any case, this will be affordable for me 3 years from now :)