The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax countdown..........

monza

50k shutter? hmm. Seems low for a pro cam. Must not be a pro cam...

Looks like a marketer-designed camera to me...take features a mid-range DSLR has and put them into a medium format cam (which it isn't quite as it's not full frame 645). SD cards, 11 point AF, etc.

Interesting but will pros buy this combination? Will high-end amateurs buy it?

monza

"The PENTAX 645D has been developed to provide super-high-resolution images produced by large image sensors — something previously available only on professional models — to serious landscape and outdoor photographers."

Do serious landscape and outdoor photogs need 11 point AF?

What does 'approximately 40 effective megapixels' mean exactly?

tjv

Pretty cool to see this come to market finally. At that price it'll be very interesting to see what the other manufacturers do to retain market share if the image quality is up there. I'm especially curious to see what Leica do long term as their product is obviously the outlying product in terms of just price and performance. Reliability, build quality and service is another thing altogether.

douglasf13

Wow. 70 weather seals, magnesium over aluminum, and can shoot in very cold weather. Build wise, this sounds better than any medium format out there, outside of the S2. I think the MFD game has officially changed.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very interesting camera,and probably at the right price. Except for the size, they seem to have blended the most important DSLR features and the most important MF features into one body. If I were in the market for a D3X or 1DsIV, I would have considered this one as a very compelling alternative.

Here are some photos of the camera: http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

aldo

I like the dual SD cards, I could use 1 SD card for Raw's and the other for tethering JPEG's (USB) for revision, I could even use a EYE-Fi SD card for wireless tethering those JPEG'S to my assistant laptop for close up revision.

Here's some image samples of the 645D (first button on left "impression" and then click on the feather button in the photographer profile) or 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Last edited:

carstenw

Very interesting! Not very attractive, physically, but neat set of features, and I am guessing that the DSLR-like layout is going to net a lot of easy upgrades from wealthy photographers who are tired of owning the same camera as the neighbour.

This camera is also a slap in the face of Phase and Hasselblad who have been saying for years that the high-res screen is not possible, low prices with a large sensor is not possible, and so on.

It is clearly a play for relevance by Pentax, and I wish them all the best.

Terry

Very interesting! Not very attractive, physically, but neat set of features, and I am guessing that the DSLR-like layout is going to net a lot of easy upgrades from wealthy photographers who are tired of owning the same camera as the neighbour.
Trying to figure out how one actually holds it (position of left hand). :confused:

carstenw

Like you hold the S2 in your avatar, i.e. left hand under body, grasping lens. Alternatively, flip the hand around 180 degrees, i.e. grab the lens from the side.

Terry

Like you hold the S2 in your avatar, i.e. left hand under body, grasping lens. Alternatively, flip the hand around 180 degrees, i.e. grab the lens from the side.
It just seems very deep. I guess it will feel more like holding a Phase than the S2.

P

Photon

And we have some sample images taken with the camera on http://www.camera-pentax.jp/645d/top.html

First click on 'impression' and then on the 'feathers' next to the thumbs of the two photographers. There you 'll find a number of pics.

Warmest,

Ton

Last edited:

thomas

This camera is also a slap in the face of Phase and Hasselblad who have been saying for years that the high-res screen is not possible, low prices with a large sensor is not possible, and so on.
yup. When the re-re-rebirth of the Pentax was anounced stating 40MP and the price I first thought they probably bought all the stock of Kodak KAF39 sensors and made a good deal with that. But this chip is new 6 micron technology.
Now Phase and Hassy will certainly tell us the Pentax is only 14bit and those 2 academic bits are worth twice the price ...
In camera JPG processing for fast preview (and possibly for fast wireless transfer) is what is missing seriously in the current MFDBs. That's certainly a strong advantage of the S2 and the Pentax.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, it is ugly, but so were the older Pentax 645 bodies. The surprise is that they actually handle very well and are comfortable to shoot. It is form over function. I think this is a very exciting camera. That said, after the M9 I don't have 9 grand kicking around to spend on a camera, but if I did, I would give very serious consideration to this one (though I would probably ultimately wind up with a used CFV-39).