The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

in doubt: Hasselblad VS Phase One

fotografz

Hassey USA has a supply of brand new H2s with prism and 80mm lens ... 1 year warranty. Slap a H mount P45 on one and you're there. The autofocus you want, with the long exposures you want.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
YUP the fastest way to get a DF body is BUY a new back. Just had a member buy a P40+ with new DF body got it in a week or so. Look at trade in. Your body and back with a dealer. Mine is Capture Integration and they are friends and do support the GetDPI family. At least something to look into. Steve and Dave are here to help if that is the direction you want to go. Look at Leaf also with there new back. You should also contact a Hassy dealer as well. Certainly does not hurt to ask around with the dealers to see what they can do for you.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I am a bit in a struggle: what to do. I always had Hasselblad H3d and ixpress digital systems, tried all the rest but never was convinced to change system. Last week i got myself a mamiya 645II with a P20+ back. Again, coming from HasselbladH the autofocus is worthless on the mamiya AFD123 camera's. But i really like the long exposures on the phase back and i tried the 645DF wich is a lot better than the AFD seies, especially with the new schneider lenses. But I already own all AF lenses from 35 up to 300mm aswel as the for my work most important hasselblad H lenses. What to do: go for a DF, perhaps with a P40+ or go for the Hasselblad H4d40 and sell the mamamiya stuff???????......:angel:
Our company sells Phase One, but we wouldn't do so simply for the sake of selling another unit. Before a major platform swap you should do an evaluation of what is and isn't working for you on your existing gear and you'd gain and lose with different gear.

If you're looking for really long exposures then a P45+ is going to be the best back in the world. (as noted elsewhere on this thread the P40+ and 65+ are very weak for exposures past a minute).

The DF body, is in my experience, the fastest and most accurate Autofocus system in medium format* - but of course you should handle an H4D-40 and DF body yourself and make up your own mind. It's nice that with Phase One you can upgrade your back and body independently and backup bodies are very inexpensive and don't have to be purchased new and matched at the factory. The inclusion of the body-shutter also opens up a huge range of lens options as you noted - basically anything that can physically attach and can be focused mechanically can be used. I've seen everything from Leica microscope lenses (that was my experiment) to a Canon 85mm f/1.2 lens (for macro work - it could not focus at infinity). The entire series of Hassy 500 and 200 series lenses, pentax, etc etc etc.

The option of keeping your H lens investment and experience with that platform and simply adding a P45+H and H2 body is also logical to me.

It's logical to look at all possibilities, but I think you can scratch Leaf off your list as none of them have good long exposure capabilities so you would neither maintain your investment nor gain long exposures.

Finally, if you've not used Capture One or had it properly demonstrated to you it is a fantastic piece of software (you can also use LightRoom or ACR to directly open the P45+ files without any need to convert or uncompress them) and a very big reason to join the Phase One family.

*I was able to handle an H4D-40 at a launch event last week so I'm including that in my opinion

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

fotografz

(you can also use LightRoom or ACR to directly open the P45+ files without any need to convert or uncompress them)

FYI, I open my Hasselblad H3D-II/39 files straight from the CF card into Lightroom and Bridge and have a Hasselblad profile to choose from ... with no need to even open Phocus if I don't want to. Leaf files also open directly into Bridge (or at least they used to with my 75s).

So, I'm not sure what MFD system you are implying as needing to convert before using ACR in LR or Bridge ... Sinar?

-Marc

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Our company sells Phase One, but we wouldn't do so simply for the sake of selling another unit. Before a major platform swap you should do an evaluation of what is and isn't working for you on your existing gear and you'd gain and lose with different gear.

If you're looking for really long exposures then a P45+ is going to be the best back in the world. (as noted elsewhere on this thread the P40+ and 65+ are very weak for exposures past a minute).

The DF body, is in my experience, the fastest and most accurate Autofocus system in medium format* - but of course you should handle an H4D-40 and DF body yourself and make up your own mind. It's nice that with Phase One you can upgrade your back and body independently and backup bodies are very inexpensive and don't have to be purchased new and matched at the factory. The inclusion of the body-shutter also opens up a huge range of lens options as you noted - basically anything that can physically attach and can be focused mechanically can be used. I've seen everything from Leica microscope lenses (that was my experiment) to a Canon 85mm f/1.2 lens (for macro work - it could not focus at infinity). The entire series of Hassy 500 and 200 series lenses, pentax, etc etc etc.

The option of keeping your H lens investment and experience with that platform and simply adding a P45+H and H2 body is also logical to me.

It's logical to look at all possibilities, but I think you can scratch Leaf off your list as none of them have good long exposure capabilities so you would neither maintain your investment nor gain long exposures.

Finally, if you've not used Capture One or had it properly demonstrated to you it is a fantastic piece of software (you can also use LightRoom or ACR to directly open the P45+ files without any need to convert or uncompress them) and a very big reason to join the Phase One family.

*I was able to handle an H4D-40 at a launch event last week so I'm including that in my opinion

Personal Work
OK, Doug
I want a DF body; like now; if it is that good.
-bob

Steve Hendrix

FYI, I open my Hasselblad H3D-II/39 files straight from the CF card into Lightroom and Bridge and have a Hasselblad profile to choose from ... with no need to even open Phocus if I don't want to. Leaf files also open directly into Bridge (or at least they used to with my 75s).

So, I'm not sure what MFD system you are implying as needing to convert before using ACR in LR or Bridge ... Sinar?

-Marc

If a Leaf Aptus II (or Aptus, or Aptus S), is shot with compression on to a CF card, the files must either be run through the Leaf decompress utility or opened in Leaf Capture and edited (some saved adjustment must be made) before they will open in Lightroom or Bridge (ACR).

Steve Hendrix

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If you guys let Doug in there I'd say "Hasselblad security" is an oxymoron :)
:)

I RSVP'd in advance and sought the blessing of the Hassy guys when I arrived. They were welcoming and I returned the respect by being restraining myself to observation. We would show the same courtesy to anyone who wanted to attend an event we were hosting.

We may take issue with some of the decisions Hasselblad Corporate HQ has made in the past two years as they have closed off their system, but that doesn't mean we don't have great respect for the individuals who work for Hasselblad in the US. In fact, John Williams (Hasselblad Dealer) and I had some beers after the event - he's a great guy. I've previously mostly spoken with him on the phone so it was nice to sit down in person. Especially over a trifecta of Hitachino Ginger/White/Red Ale.

Personal Work

fotografz

If a Leaf Aptus II (or Aptus, or Aptus S), is shot with compression on to a CF card, the files must either be run through the Leaf decompress utility or opened in Leaf Capture and edited (some saved adjustment must be made) before they will open in Lightroom or Bridge (ACR).

Steve Hendrix
Well, that makes sense. However, if you are a Lightroom user then you simply don't shoot compressed Leaf files therefore can open the Leaf files directly in LR or Bridge.

This is an important distinction IMO. I often shoot mixed formats on a job and like to dump all the files sorted by time shot into one file and place them into a Lightroom Library. I can assemble shots done with a M9, Hassey, Sony and my second shooter's Canon into one folder and edit, correct and output them, including any PS work or applications of Define 2, right out of LR.

Time is money, and IMO nothing is a fast as LR to job completion.

So, contrary to implied messages here ... the Hasselblad and Leaf files DO open up directly in Lightroom and Bridge ... and, BTW, the Hassey files open directly in Aperture also.

The advantages of proprietary processing software are obvious, but aren't needed for every single shot you take. I use Phocus and C1 V5.0.2 (and Leaf Capture when I had an Aptus) for their specific advantages in any given "special" case. I am not as proficient in Phocus or C1 as I am in LR, but I do not have to be. Lightroom serves for 90% of images shot ... and because of the new tools available in LR, most files never need utilize the PS or Define 2 options anymore.

Different strokes for different folks.

-Marc

fotografz

So, Doug ... your impressions of the focus comparisons at the Hasselblad event were done as a side-by-side (H4D and new Phase/Mamiya) in the same lighting and subject conditions ... right?

When comparing systems for specific attributes ... shouldn't it be directly apples-to-apples? Personally, I often invite someone who's impartial opinion I value ... like Irakly did when I test drove a Leaf AFi in my studio against my H3D-II, or more recently trying a S2 with my pal Ed Richter with his Canon 1DsMIII, since my objective was to see if the S2 could indeed replace a 35mm DSLR as implied by Leica marketing.

That's why I like comparisons done like Guy and Jack did recently with their Phase Products and the S2. Apples-to-apples.

-Marc

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So, Doug ... your impressions of the focus comparisons at the Hasselblad event were done as a side-by-side (H4D and new Phase/Mamiya) in the same lighting and subject conditions ... right?

When comparing systems for specific attributes ... shouldn't it be directly apples-to-apples? Personally, I often invite someone who's impartial opinion I value ... like Irakly did when I test drove a Leaf AFi in my studio against my H3D-II, or more recently trying a S2 with my pal Ed Richter with his Canon 1DsMIII, since my objective was to see if the S2 could indeed replace a 35mm DSLR as implied by Leica marketing.

That's why I like comparisons done like Guy and Jack did recently with their Phase Products and the S2. Apples-to-apples.

-Marc
Unfortunately I wasn't given the option to take the H4D-40 home with me :ROTFL: and I didn't think it was polite to bring a P65+/DF to the Hasselblad-sponsored H4D-40 launch party for my direct comparison as it might have made those still waiting for the H4D-60 to ship a bit sore :ROTFL:. *

Your point is absolutely well taken. My one day with the H4D in a small number of lighting scenarios cannot by definition be completely conclusive. Anyone buying such a system would be well advised to put both in their own hands (as I said in my original post) with their own typical shooting scenario to see how each system handles for them.

I would surely surely love the opportunity to further test the systems head to head and in a greater variety of scenarios, and Capture Integration would gladly provide a DF system at as reasonable rate as can make sense (discounted rental with credit towards purchase if shipped, or free if used within a drive of one of our studios) to anyone who would like to do so.

The bottom line, since I should focus on products that I am intimately familiar with and avoid talking about products that we don't sell is this:
The Autofocus on the DF rocks.

*I mean this in good humor. Allow me a little fun when I'm posting at 5am.

Personal Work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Short story on that. I went to Starbucks everyday and one day the lady I knew behind the counter we got to talkin and the price issue came up. So we came up with I was spending 2800 dollars a year at Starbucks. Now that is a nice lens to me. LOL So i went out and bought a espresso machine for 225 dollars and been making it myself . The pods cost 55 cents each and i don't have to drive there any more. Obviously this is gear slut mentality, if I can get a lens instead than it makes sense to me. LOL