The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GX617 - anyone ?

proenca

Hi there,

As some of you know, I've been on a quest to get a Hasselblad V system camera but things have taken a dramatic change.

I've met ( so to speak ) a panoramic camera and this thing has "ME ME ME" all over it. I'm trully in love.

Now, which one to buy ?

The Fuji G617/GX617 or a Linhof 617 ?

I'm very tempted about the Fuji : plenty of near mint models around.

The downside is that Fuji doesnt service the cameras anymore, so if I've got a problem I've got a very expensive paperweight on my hands.

Linhof , on the other hand, still service their 617 ( and every other ) cameras.

Problem is that operation is a bit more quirky ( rewinding for example ) and they are pretty much scarce - out of my usual dealers, any of them have at least 2 Fuji's and only one have a Linhof ( and its a 612 ) .

Should I wait for a Linhof to come by ? Or my thoughts are nonsense and should go with a Fuji ?

bensonga

Last edited:

proenca

Gary, I know that ad. The only problem , the only single problem is that the seller is in the USA. It it was in Europe, that camera would be mine, trust me :)

USA -> Europe imports stings like a .. erm... well.. stings :)

I bought a filter for my WATE here in getdpi, from an USA member.

Took 2 months and half to arrive because of customs - actually is still held at customs, they are calculating how much i have to pay of import duty.

That's why we usually ( Europeans ) do not buy stuff from the states. Yes the usd is weaker but in the end, it just doesn't make sense.

And thank you for the book recommendation - I'm sure to buy it,didnt knew it, seems fantastic ! :)

T.Karma

Import / Export from / to USA is very easy and fast. You only have to employ a parcel service that does the custom clearance in their own house. Such parcel services are UPS, Fedex and there may be others as well.

But if you go very low on budget and take National Post it can take ages.

proenca

Trust me, it is not.

The biggest problem is not the time - although its a pain.

Its the cost.

Example, real :

Kiev88 imported from Russia ( friend of mine ) : 400 usd
Import taxes : 290 usd
Customs clearence charge : 90 usd

Now... put that in Linhof money and you'll get my idea...

T.Karma

Trust me, it is not.

Its the cost.

Example, real :

Just checked import tax of Portugal. :wtf:

carstenw

How do they calculate that? If I buy from the States, I generally pay 19% VAT on top, plus a customs fee, not usually more than 20-40 Euro. What is going on in Portugal? What do you pay if it comes from Germany? I should start a business here, importing stuff from the States for people in Portugal :)

proenca

How do they calculate that? If I buy from the States, I generally pay 19% VAT on top, plus a customs fee, not usually more than 20-40 Euro. What is going on in Portugal? What do you pay if it comes from Germany? I should start a business here, importing stuff from the States for people in Portugal :)
They have a pretty hidden agenda for it. Honestly, there is a customs table and its not a fixed value, its a percentage to apply.

And that is always BEFORE VAT.

So that means that what you pay in the USA = ( USA X ?% for customs ) X VAT

I bought a WATE filter here in the forum, I'm going to customs today to pick it up.. I'll tell you how much it was in the afternoon.

Ben Rubinstein

There is also the option of the DAYI and Gaoersi 617 cameras being made in China. Far more simplistic but also a fraction of the price.

Anders_HK

Trust me, it is not.

Its the cost.

Example, real :

Hi,

Did you consider a Fotoman 617 ??

I bought one the other month from Charlie who runs Fotoman Camera China. And yes, he is still in business and can ship worldwide, see here http://www.fotomancamera.com.cn/617_camera.asp, and email [email protected]

While Fotoman Camera Limited (HK), which sold and marketed Fotoman products outside China, has stopped their business, Charlie who was the Chinese side and who invented the cameras originally keeps the business going. You can still look at Fotoman Camera Limited website for specs and models, here http://fotomancamera.com/product_list.asp?id=188. They are identical to what Charlie still makes and sells.

You can get a new one for less than a used Linhof or Fuji, and Fotoman is reputable for their quality, thus even with import to Europe. Or, if you catch one on Ebay. I am very pleased with mine, very solid build.

Regards
Anders

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Regarding the Fotoman, I used to shoot with the Fotoman 4x5 PS camera and found it to be a very well made camera and also received excellent support from Fotoman in Hong Kong.

If I were looking for another film camera I wouldn't hesitate to look at them. A very affordable and actually somewhat more flexible (in terms of lenses) solution than Fuji/Linhof IMHO. Fotoman 617