Site Sponsors

Thread: Is the H3D 31 equivalent to P30 or P30+?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is the H3D 31 equivalent to P30 or P30+?

Need to find out from you guys shooting the H3D 31 if the sensor is equivalent to P30 or P30+? Also, is there anything negative about this camera/back combo? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the H3D 31 equivalent to P30 or P30+?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Goh View Post
    Need to find out from you guys shooting the H3D 31 if the sensor is equivalent to P30 or P30+? Also, is there anything negative about this camera/back combo? Thanks.
    P30+ I'd say the performance would be pretty similar given that they are the same chip. I have an H3D31 and am very happy with it. If you were making a choice I guess it would come down to platform and software preferences.
    Nick-T

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Nick. Thanks. I already have a full kit with the P30+ but am being offered a H3D 31 so thought I find out. What would be a trade-in value for a H3D 31 should I choose to upgrade later on? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Henry,

Shriro Singapore will give you all the trade in values.

David

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just out of curiosity what is motivating you to consider changing from a P30+ to a H3D 31?

The H3D-31 is a bit closer to a P30 than a P30+ IMO. The H3DII is a closer equivalent to the P30+. But it's a bit subjective. My thought process is mostly about the shooting speed and ISO (e.g. 1600 for a P30+ and 800 for an H3D-31).

Make sure to evaluate the entire end-to-end workflow, including raw processing, before any new camera.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 18th February 2010 at 14:30.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    My thought process is mostly about the shooting speed and ISO (e.g. 1600 for a P30+ and 800 for an H3D-31).
    Not so Doug!
    The H3D31 has been 1600 ISO for a while now via Free firmware update.
    Does a P30+ shoot faster than an H3D31? I wasn't aware of that.
    Nick-T

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Henry, you weren't clear as to what camera platform you are using the Phase One back on. Mamiya, Contax or Hasselblad H1/H2?

If you're currently using a H1/H2, the advantage of an H3D/31 is integrated use of the Phocus Software corrections in conjunction with the HC lenses ... including the HCD lenses, I believe the H system Micro adjust AF is also on the H3D and not on the H1/H2 using a 3rd party back, but I'm not 100% sure of that ... (BTW, it does do ISO 1600) ... the H3D will still allow use of film backs ... and there is only one battery to maintain rather than two ... the grip battery drives both the H body and the back.

Marc

Oh, and if you use any Zeiss CF, CFi or CFE lenses on your H via the CF adapter, there are now DAC corrections for many of those lenses in Phocus also. Pretty amazing actually.
    Last edited by fotografz; 18th February 2010 at 15:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, I'm not ditching my P30+ for this. I may consider buying this and selling off my Nikon system. If the H3D can do ISO100 to 1600, then it should be like the P30+ right?

Marc Thanks for your inputs.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, I'm not ditching my P30+ for this. I may consider buying this and selling off my Nikon system. If the H3D can do ISO100 to 1600, then it should be like the P30+ right?

Just to keep the record straight ... the capture rate of the H3D/31 is 1.2 sec ... Phase specs say "up to" 1.25 sec. depending on camera. Real world nano second difference ... virtually none.

Doug, I though you promised to only talk about what knew for sure ...

(Just yankin' your chain).

-Marc

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There almost Identical . Might want to just upgrade to a p40+ ISO 800 full res and than sensor plus and it is faster than the P30+ shooting speed and I think the H4/40 is also faster than the H31. If anything I would move to the newer 6 micron sensors they are faster and better noise levels

With the sensor plus I bagged any idea of 35mm but that is me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Henry, you weren't clear as to what camera platform you are using the Phase One back on. Mamiya, Contax or Hasselblad H1/H2?

If you're currently using a H1/H2, the advantage of an H3D/31 is integrated use of the Phocus Software corrections in conjunction with the HC lenses ... including the HCD lenses, I believe the H system Micro adjust AF is also on the H3D and not on the H1/H2 using a 3rd party back, but I'm not 100% sure of that ... (BTW, it does do ISO 1600) ... the H3D will still allow use of film backs ... and there is only one battery to maintain rather than two ... the grip battery drives both the H body and the back.

Marc

Oh, and if you use any Zeiss CF, CFi or CFE lenses on your H via the CF adapter, there are now DAC corrections for many of those lenses in Phocus also. Pretty amazing actually.

I have a feeling this thread could get out of control....

While Phocus has automatic corrections for HC lenses via DAC, Capture One also offers the ability to have automatic corrections as well as manual correction of HC lenses, as well as the CF lenses, and there are more options with the controls (such as positive and negative vignetting, crop vignetting, etc), so I am not sure that is an advantage for the H3D-31.

The H3D-31 (if it is not the II version) would be more equivalent to the Phase One AF then, rather than the DF, and the AF does allow the use of a film back just as the H3D-31 does. The H3DII-31 does not allow the use of a film back, the same that the Phase One DF does not allow the use of a film back.

One battery is nice, although it is proprietary. While the AF takes double AA's which can be a hassle, they are available everywhere. Also, the new DF will take a vertical grip (yes, the ship date has slipped several times) that can take the same battery as the P30+. And, of course, you have the use of a vertical grip on top of that.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy you're probably right about going to the newer sensors. Mind you though, I was not thinking of ditching my Phase system of which I've have no complaints.

Steve - just saw your post as I hit return. Thanks for the input but I hope this thread will not go to Hasselblad Vs Phase One.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy you're probably right about going to the newer sensors. Mind you though, I was not thinking of ditching my Phase system of which I've have no complaints.

Steve - just saw your post as I hit return. Thanks for the input but I hope this thread will not go to Hasselblad Vs Phase One.

No, and it shouldn't. I was only kidding about the direction of the thread. I would certainly never introduce such a thing. Especially since you are considering adding an H3D-31 to your P30+ arsenal - that would be a nice pair to have in your arsenal.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See for me I like the sensor plus and maybe in your case selling the Nikon gear and upgrading to the P40+ maybe a good option, not sure. But having two separate systems in MF seems a bit odd too. Depends on what you are after but at least in the 31mpx there really is not much difference in the sensor at least they are both Kodak. H40 and P40 are Kodak /Dalsa so depending on what you prefer than that is a option too. Plus the new bodies and backs in the 40 have enough difference that you may lean one way or another more than the 31mpx backs and bodies which are real close to another.

I think when making these decisions it comes down to three main things with there pluses and minuses.

Back
    Body
    Software

Now mix that all up on each system and see what makes the most sense. I think both systems are the best out there so that makes it a little tougher to decide as well.

BTW I like the guy's ribbing each other ,I think that is healthy as long as we stay on track and the reps here are some of the best around and very professional in all of it. Besides all that they have a lot of respect for each other and this forum with it's members. Personally i think this is the best forum around but you know i am going to say that.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Guy,

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of respect for Steve, Doug, David and all the other vendors on this site. All of them have been extremely helpful. I just hope our threads do not end up like those on LL because that kills good discussion. Remember RG's Medium format forum?

BTW: does anyone know what is the battery life like on H3D 31?
    Last edited by Henry Goh; 18th February 2010 at 21:48.

Post Thanks / Like

About 300 Shots I guess Henry.

Depends on wether you are using AF, Lens type, Temperature...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    Not so Doug!
    The H3D31 has been 1600 ISO for a while now via Free firmware update.
    Does a P30+ shoot faster than an H3D31? I wasn't aware of that.
    Nick-T
    Do try to keep up Doug!!!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Do try to keep up Doug!!!
    Glad to be corrected.

Though it wouldn't be a bad idea for ya'll to update your product info PDF for the H3D1 for slow pokes like me. :-P
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 19th February 2010 at 05:56.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    There almost Identical . Might want to just upgrade to a p40+ ISO 800 full res and than sensor plus and it is faster than the P30+ shooting speed and I think the H4/40 is also faster than the H31. If anything I would move to the newer 6 micron sensors they are faster and better noise levels

With the sensor plus I bagged any idea of 35mm but that is me.
    That's what I'd do in Henry's shoes.

Why have 2 system backs so similar to one another?

P40+ on what-ever. Trade in the P30 toward it.

My 2. but not my money ...

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to be corrected.

Though it wouldn't be a bad idea for ya'll to update your product info PDF for the H3D1 for slow pokes like me. :-P
    http://www.hasselblad.com/media/1342...tasheet_v4.pdf

100-1600 on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad to be corrected.

Need to get out more often Doug. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I'm not sure that getting out more often makes us more informed. That would depend on where we get out to.

S

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

True the bars won't help here. LOL

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    If I'm not mistake that's for the H3Dii not the H3Di which lists the wrong max ISO.

Who is slow now?? :-P

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Guy, I'm not sure that getting out more often makes us more informed. That would depend on where we get out to.
    I sure FEEL better informed at the end of a night "out". Of course I feel better looking and more interesting as well.