Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: why i shoot with C645

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: why i shoot with C645

Thierry,
    Even with the dollar trading at an all time low Euro 120 does not translate to $1800 which is what I was quoted for the Contax adapter. Maybe I'll fly to Europe to pick mine up and have a trip for free

thsinar

David,

no, what I meant, was that our recommended enduser price for the Contax 645 is Euro 1'005.- (118.- less than the revolving adapter), which translates approximatively to $ 1'630.-. So you have been quoted slightly more (10% more).

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Thierry,
    Even with the dollar trading at an all time low Euro 120 does not translate to $1800 which is what I was quoted for the Contax adapter. Maybe I'll fly to Europe to pick mine up and have a trip for free

thsinar

Marc,

I am sure you have read my post N 48 & 58 here, did you? Yes, this "refreshing" has taken place already.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    My other major worry is that I suspect that a Sinar update is immanent. The screen and other aspects seem in need of "refreshing" when compared to other backs.

thsinar

That's it exactly.

Some precisions:

- current owners of a Sinar Hy6 - eMotion 75 LV system can have this upgrade (new electronic board, new 2.5" display and incl. revolving adapter) right now (since yesterday) and until May 31st, and at the mentioned recommended price of Euro 1'850.- (discounted 30% from the normal price).

- customers having purchased an eMotion 75 or eMotion 75 LV will be able to get this upgrade as well, at the recommended price of Euro 1'500.-, WITHOUT the revolving adapter: this uprade path is available as per June 01st 2008.

- not to forget: those customers upgrading as above will get a BRAND NEW eMotion 75 (or 75 LV).

Best regards,
    Thierry

Marc,
    If I understood Thierry's earlier post there will be an update to a 2.5" OLED from the current 2" OLED within the next few weeks as well as updated electronics for better high ISO shooting, etc. This update is available to existing owners (of the e75) for somewhere around $2k (30% discount from $3k recommended price) but it comes with the revolving adapter which is close to $2k anyway. Give or take a few dollars, if you were going to buy the revolving adapter (I am) the upgrade is essentially free (actually, you get a new back with the upgrade). Frankly, if it were otherwise, I'd probably be complaining since I haven't even taken delivery of my unit and it's already old technology (at least to this limited extent). With regard to demo unit availability, Steve Hendrix had a demo kit which will become available in a few months. Apparently Sinar has a one year waiting period requirement before dealers are allowed to sell a unit as a demo. There is no question that you need to look around to get the best pricing. Unfortunately, this is not like buying a Nikon D3. Pricing and options can vary considerably. The deal that David Klepacki got on his demo was not available to me and the deal that I got on my unit is probably not available to you. Confused yet ???

Post Thanks / Like

MF lens signatures

Just saw this thread and going back to the posts about lens signatures and bokeh. I have found it easier to find 35mm lenses that provide the sorts of signature that I like. I loved the Zeiss 120 Makro but hated the bokeh. Other lenses fell somewhere in between. Some of my favorite MF lenses both from a resolution and nice OOF areas:

Zeiss 150/2.8 FE:

Attachment 3171

Attachment 3172

Schneider 120/5.6 Macro Digitar

Attachment 3173

Plaubel Makina 80/2.8 Nikkor (6x7 RF camera) -didn't have any wide open shots handy but this was a stellar lens and one of my all time favorite cameras:

Attachment 3175

Attachment 3174

Schneider 75/3.5 Rollei TLR

The Rodenstocks were super in this regard but I don't have any samples at hand right now.

Post Thanks / Like

couple more

Schneider 75/3.5 Rollei TLR:

Attachment 3177

Plaubel Makina 80/2.8 Nikkor:

Attachment 3176

Schneider 120/5.6 Macro Digitar:

Attachment 3178

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

rolleiflex automat with a 3.5/75 xenotar is also one of my favorites.
    this is fuji astia 100, double exposure, nothing else done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...and also rolleiflex 2.8C with a nine-blade aperture 2.8/80 xenotar

Post Thanks / Like

The Rollei TLR with a Zeiss or Schneider lens along with the Leica M with a compact 50 or 35mm lens were for me the zenith of the age of analog mechanical cameras. They were just so incredibly refined, nothing today comes close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i am still waiting for the baby rollei with a 4x4 sensor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    i am still waiting for the baby rollei with a 4x4 sensor
    .....to take big MF lenses, or Leica M lenses? If the image circle would stretch that far, that might be nice.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

I realize the projected plane of focus for the M glass does not work in the MF configuration, but I was thinking about how slick a system that could be if it did.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

ALPA 12 SWA w/ Rodenstock 55mm Apo Grandagon (6x9 back):

Attachment 3190

3 more Plaubel Nikkor 80/2.8:

Attachment 3191

Attachment 3193

Attachment 3192

Post Thanks / Like

Hank,
    Love that first shot for sure. Something that just looks hard to get any other way. Same for that last image. The dark skin on the woman's knees almost looks like real satin. Nice. Love seeing this "way beyond the pale" for 35mm stuff.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    .....to take big MF lenses, or Leica M lenses? If the image circle would stretch that far, that might be nice.

LJ
    baby rollei was a tlr with built-in lenses. rollei cameras have this magical property: once you start shooting with them, you do not seem to need any other focal lengths.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hmm...wonder if i can mod my rollei to take my CFV back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    hmm...wonder if i can mod my rollei to take my CFV back
    hardly

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is why I shoot with the C645. Hassy 110/2 FE (4th gen) wide open.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

thsinar

Beautiful, David!

I have some 40 different types of orchids in my garden, all having their flowers right now. I want to shoot them with my eMotion 75, but will get my Zeiss 110/2 only next week: may be too late then, since it comes to the end.

Best regards,
    Thierry

This is why I shoot with the C645. Hassy 110/2 FE (4th gen) wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    baby rollei was a tlr with built-in lenses. rollei cameras have this magical property: once you start shooting with them, you do not seem to need any other focal lengths.
    Irakly,
    Sorry for the confusion....I was thinking "baby 6000 series", not the TLRs.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    Beautiful, David!

I have some 40 different types of orchids in my garden, all having their flowers right now. I want to shoot them with my eMotion 75, but will get my Zeiss 110/2 only next week: may be too late then, since it comes to the end.

Best regards,
    Thierry
    Thierry,
    Then shoot them with whatever you have now to get the captures, and if they are still in bloom when the z110/2 arrives, you can provide some excellent points for comparison (Sure they will not be on the same day, same light, blah, blah blah, but they may still be wonderful captures.)

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A very interesting discussion indeed. Some excellent points made, as well as some great counterpoints. Times, they do change. When I decided to move away from my 500 series Hassy system about five years ago, the choices weren't nearly as good as they are today. I went the Contax 645 route, as at that time I was shooting both film and my first digital back. With the passing of these five years, I have now used three digital backs on the Contax platform. I presently still own what I guess you would call a pretty extensive Contax kit, including two full camera bodies. My present back is a Leaf Aptus 75S, purchased originally as the Aptus 75 when it was first released. I've had problems on and off with the backs, but never an issue with either of my two bodies, nor with any of my other fairly extensive collection of lenses and accessories. The Contax kit has now long since paid for itself many times over, as did the Hassy 500 kit before it. What more can a working professional photographer ask for?

Sure, a couple of nice leaf shutter lenses would be very welcome for their faster sync speed. But I have always been able to adjust my shooting style sufficiently to compensate for that. And yes, the Contax kit DOES eat batteries, but again using the optional grips, my 2,500 mah AA rechargeable cells sure do the trick. Maybe I do need to pack four sets for a long day's shoot, but so what. They recharge in 15 mins... Most of my work the past seven years has been shooting in Mexico, under very harsh conditions. I just opened up my Apple G5 to add a new Airport card, and ended up filling a sandbag with the dirt inside it. Not once did these conditions cause a lens or camera failure. Charge my batteries, clean my sensor, load my bag, and it is off to work I went. Speaking for myself only, I am very glad indeed that I chose my Contax system. It's served me well over the years.

But that was then, and this is now. There are several options available today that were not available back then. Technology continues to progress. To a point that today, I would probably have to say that all of the present systems are good at what they were designed to do. The Mamiya ZD is very good. The H system from Hasselblad is very good, though I really do think they shot themselves in the foot when they gave up the Zeiss glass. The new Sinar is exceptional, both from it's flexibility, functionality and overall quality. It is very hard to argue with a Jenoptik back, coupled with a Rollei body & Zeiss and Schneider glass. I'm also particularly encouraged about the Jenoptik involvement in the overall system. Those guys know their stuff, and have the money available to continue to fund extensive and very expensive R&D. Don't kid yourself, for a company to survive and prosper in the world today, it takes a very deep pocket to keep on the cutting edge...

Sadly, I also would have to agree with the statement above about Leaf. They have practically painted themselves into a corner. The jury is still out though, as they have participated in the AFi / Hy6 camera platform, though as is normal for Leaf they are still ignoring the value of customer loyalty trying to derive their income from the existing base and ignoring for all practical purposes expanding the market. Had they been paying attention, David Kipper would today be shooting an AFi instead of a Sinar. And for myself, given that I also will someday soon need to make the upgrade investment, without any incentive from my current vendor it puts my future purchase very much in doubt as well.

So in the end, I guess all that matters from my perspective is that the tools I choose to use in my chosen profession need to work, get my client's job done, and done well at these prices, and provide a high degree of self satisfaction that the quality of the work I do meets my own idea of quality standards. I don't see any of my cameras as things in and of themselves, I see them simply as creative tools. Tools that allow me to capture and express my own individual view of the world. The best tools I own are the ones that do their job, and don't get in the way of achieving my creative goals.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very well said Chuck...