The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

why i shoot with C645

tom in mpls

Estonia ... LOL.

If you are referring to Irakly and I, we live close to one another in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. He lives in dumpy and stuffy Grosse Pointe Park, and I live in charming and quaint Franklin : -)
No, sorry, Irakly doesn't begin with "foto" and end in "z".

gogopix

Subscriber
I think what we are proving here is that there is no single system; I actually have four (counting the Alpa) and am looking at a fifth. Why? well, there are times when one of the four isnt the right tool.
The H3 system has a lot; maybe it is tops, certainly tempted me (and 'closed'? that's just a concept-if it did everything who would care.

But, you arent doing stop motion even at 1/1000. And it is pretty big and (dare I say? sure :D it is BUTT UGLY)

The Contax is smaller than most SLRs in my hand and the AF is fast enough for me

but telephoto? I want my DMR and Leica modular (1200mm 5.6 equivalent) and the M8, for walkaround and just neat public stuff.

And if you think about high strobe synch-get over it; get a large enough strobe, set a low ISO and high f value (watch that diffraction :) )and the ambient light isnt going to smudge anythig.

and here they come; small nuclear missles from detroitr, a few more from Florida, and what's that? more from that Pacific island?...

hey, let's stop this- simple duel, Holgas at 20 paces

:ROTFL:

gogopix

Subscriber
oh here's that awful, SLOW synch Contax at it again!
In a room with a whole window wall on the backdrop, (ok it was cloudy, but the overheads we could get off LOL)

I don't see any motion burr on the hair,

...do you see any motion blurr?

pretty hefty fan (but not as bad as cat whiskers :ROTFL:

Last edited:

irakly

man, you need to brush up your studio lighting skills :p
both pics are huge nopers, but you are right, no motion blur :ROTFL::ROTFL:

irakly

marc... this is the case f improbable probability! remember a story about two estonians that i told you today?

T

thsinar

yes, and the Schneider AFD Tele-Xenar 2.8/180 PQ is available already.

Planed is also a AFD 2.8/120 HFT PQS, but no ETA for this one yet.

Thierry

The Rollei 6000/Hy6 range should be even 'faster' when some of the announced lenses are available (later this year I hope):

S-Flektogon 2,8/35 mm
Tele-Biometar 2,8/150 mm

PeterA

If I people listed the reasons why they like a camera system and then weighted each aspect of that reasoning by % importance - then we could have a logic to a discussion.

The only people 'challenged' by logic and rationale - are those whose preferences are too idiosyncratic to be of relevance to anyone else.

So by all means put down your thoughts on stuff - I am every interested - I am more interested in your weighting of these factors and the reasons behind the weightings.

So with all due respect how 'fast' a MF lens shoots is very unimportant to me aand a half stop difference between various maker's 'fast' lenses -even less so.

If you need to be told why 'fast' lenses aren't that interesting in MF - maybe you should stick to 35mm shooting.:salute:

Cheers
Pete

T

thsinar

hi Marc,

- Please have a look again on the "tiny" display in a couple of weeks: the OLED display has been changed in the new delivered eMotion backs and has now a size of 2.5". It might not be yet the 3" size of the new H3DII TFT display, but I can assure you that you will be able to use it outdoors under daylight conditions: it is a OLED display, as mentioned, and as such brighter by at least 1 stop than a LCD display.

- Captureshop belongs to the past: give it a try with the new released eXposure.

- Prices: I can assure you that we are among the cheapest when it comes to compare the systems (camera + back). This can of course vary from one country to another, and you might prove me wrong for your particular case, but in most countries it is the case.

Best regards,
Thierry

... I've inquired about the Sinar, and am thinking it through. I am reluctant because the LCD is tiny and dim and the software is clunky ... but it appears that the software is advancing, so that is good news. Expensive.

fotografz

I think what we are proving here is that there is no single system; I actually have four (counting the Alpa) and am looking at a fifth. Why? well, there are times when one of the four isnt the right tool.
The H3 system has a lot; maybe it is tops, certainly tempted me (and 'closed'? that's just a concept-if it did everything who would care.

But, you arent doing stop motion even at 1/1000. And it is pretty big and (dare I say? sure :D it is BUTT UGLY)

The Contax is smaller than most SLRs in my hand and the AF is fast enough for me

but telephoto? I want my DMR and Leica modular (1200mm 5.6 equivalent) and the M8, for walkaround and just neat public stuff.

And if you think about high strobe synch-get over it; get a large enough strobe, set a low ISO and high f value (watch that diffraction :) )and the ambient light isnt going to smudge anythig.

and here they come; small nuclear missles from detroitr, a few more from Florida, and what's that? more from that Pacific island?...

hey, let's stop this- simple duel, Holgas at 20 paces

:ROTFL:
No missles from me. I agree. Hasselblad H and Hasselblad V for MF. Canon and/or Nikon for weddings and whatever needs AF blitz, Leica M and DMR for street, travel ... and me : -)

(BTW, the refrence to flash sync speeds isn't relegated to just studio ... think "outdoor fill flash.")

gogopix

Subscriber
man, you need to brush up your studio lighting skills :p
both pics are huge nopers, but you are right, no motion blur :ROTFL::ROTFL:
Well, I am sure I have to improve ALL my skills. However...

In all fairness to the person whose lighting this was, and who set it up, (not me) this was just an out-take while goofing around with the fans (which were only 'hefty' in the sense that that's where we put them after the shoot-in a hefy bag!)

BTW is that your Kodak c on ebay?

Last edited:

BJNY

The Rollei 6000/Hy6 range should be even 'faster' when some of the announced lenses are available (later this year I hope):

Tele-Biometar 2,8/150 mm
Thanks Thierry for clarifying this was a misprint during the Hy6 launch.
I had asked about it in Winter 2006, and was told there was no such lens on the roadmap.

BJNY

- Please have a look again on the "tiny" display in a couple of weeks: the OLED display has been changed in the new delivered eMotion backs and has now a size of 2.5". It might not be yet the 3" size of the new H3DII TFT display, but I can assure you that you will be able to use it outdoors under daylight conditions: it is a OLED display, as mentioned, and as such brighter by at least 1 stop than a LCD display.
Best regards,
Thierry
Thierry,

Over at the L-L forum, I read there will be an upgrade to the new 2.5" size for existing owner's eMotion digital backs. Has a price in Euro been established, yet?

Reference: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24631&view=findpost&p=190070

LJL

If I people listed the reasons why they like a camera system and then weighted each aspect of that reasoning by % importance - then we could have a logic to a discussion.

Cheers
Pete
Peter,
I am so glad someone (you) mentioned this point. This was sort of what I was trying to get folks to think about in that other thread I had started a week or so ago. A person shooting in studio, with lots of light control, etc., may not be as interested in a "fast lens", but then again, they might.

This discussion has not gone off track, but for a while, I felt like I was trying to read and follow storylines in 3-4 separate books :confused:

Lots of good points being made, but it does get back understanding what the planned use for any of the gear is. Personally, my own mind has not been completely set on some of this.....Contax w/Aptus, Sinar Hy6, Hasselblad, etc., and both the back and lens stories become more interesting based on what the gear is being used to shoot. I do not think any of it really seems all that bad, but it is pretty clear that some rigs may work better for some shooting situation than others. All can be made to do the job....just maybe not as easily or as simply as one may want or need or wish for.

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
- Please have a look again on the "tiny" display in a couple of weeks: the OLED display has been changed in the new delivered eMotion backs and has now a size of 2.5".
Best regards,
Thierry
Thierry,

Would you be kind enough to explain this in a bit more detail. Sounds like this is something for new backs not yet released.

T

thsinar

Yes, BJNY; you can actually read it here in this tread as well, a very few posts below yours.

Prices for the upgrade have been communicated to our distributors: it does not only concern the new display, but also new internal electronic board.

This upgrade will be available in a first step and starting now, for the Sinar Hy6 - eMotion 75 LV system and this until May 31st: this upgrade does include the new revolving adapter.

As of June 01st 2008, the possibility to upgrade a Sinarback eMotion 75/75LV as described above will be available also without the Revolving adapter.

To be considered: this Hy6 - eMotion 75 LV system upgrade path is offered during the limited period with a discount of about 30% from its normal enduser price.

Recommended enduser price, respectively enduser price in Switzerland for the upgrade of this "Sinar Hy6 - e75 LV" should be (as always, can vary from country to country) around Euro 1'850.- (including the revolving adapter), from now until May 31st 2008.

Recommended enduser price respectively enduser price in Switzerland for the upgrade of eMotion 75 or 75 LV should be (as always, can vary from country to country) around Euro 1'500.- (excluding the revolving adapter), as per June 01st 2008.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,

Over at the L-L forum, I read there will be an upgrade to the new 2.5" size for existing owner's eMotion digital backs. Has a price in Euro been established, yet?

Reference: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24631&view=findpost&p=190070

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter,
I am so glad someone (you) mentioned this point. This was sort of what I was trying to get folks to think about in that other thread I had started a week or so ago. A person shooting in studio, with lots of light control, etc., may not be as interested in a "fast lens", but then again, they might.

This discussion has not gone off track, but for a while, I felt like I was trying to read and follow storylines in 3-4 separate books :confused:

Lots of good points being made, but it does get back understanding what the planned use for any of the gear is. Personally, my own mind has not been completely set on some of this.....Contax w/Aptus, Sinar Hy6, Hasselblad, etc., and both the back and lens stories become more interesting based on what the gear is being used to shoot. I do not think any of it really seems all that bad, but it is pretty clear that some rigs may work better for some shooting situation than others. All can be made to do the job....just maybe not as easily or as simply as one may want or need or wish for.

LJ
Frankly the exact reason some of us have three systems. You want speed and wide open than 35mm is the ticket , you want stealth great files and the leica glass than your looking at the M8 and frankly MF is not a speed camera and mostly used in controlled situations . Of course Marc uses it for weddings and others as well and it is nice to have speed but all of this depends on need. If i could have one system it would combine all three but that is impossible to get. For a guy like me that is called into many different types of work. 3 systems is almost a given but for others that shoot specific things only than gear will be purchased for that purpose alone. Frankly the compare between the MF systems is almost a moot point. Everyone of them is going to give you a great file. Some may have a different look to them and have better glass and such but when you get down to the file level there all like cousins of each other. You already are into the best detail, biggest DR when you just step into MF. The rest is the gravy part

T

thsinar

Welcome BJNY!

Although the mentioned "Tele-Biometar 2,8/150 mm", according to my knowledge, is a "Schneider AFD Tele-Xenar 4/150 HFT PQS"

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks Thierry for clarifying this was a misprint during the Hy6 launch.
I had asked about it in Winter 2006, and was told there was no such lens on the roadmap.