The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

why i shoot with C645

David K

Workshop Member
Thierry,
Even with the dollar trading at an all time low Euro 120 does not translate to $1800 which is what I was quoted for the Contax adapter. Maybe I'll fly to Europe to pick mine up and have a trip for free :)

T

thsinar

David,

no, what I meant, was that our recommended enduser price for the Contax 645 is Euro 1'005.- (118.- less than the revolving adapter), which translates approximatively to $ 1'630.-. So you have been quoted slightly more (10% more).

Thierry

Thierry,
Even with the dollar trading at an all time low Euro 120 does not translate to $1800 which is what I was quoted for the Contax adapter. Maybe I'll fly to Europe to pick mine up and have a trip for free :)

T

thsinar

Marc,

I am sure you have read my post N° 48 & 58 here, did you? Yes, this "refreshing" has taken place already.

Best regards,
Thierry

My other major worry is that I suspect that a Sinar update is immanent. The screen and other aspects seem in need of "refreshing" when compared to other backs.

T

thsinar

That's it exactly.

Some precisions:

- current owners of a Sinar Hy6 - eMotion 75 LV system can have this upgrade (new electronic board, new 2.5" display and incl. revolving adapter) right now (since yesterday) and until May 31st, and at the mentioned recommended price of Euro 1'850.- (discounted 30% from the normal price).

- customers having purchased an eMotion 75 or eMotion 75 LV will be able to get this upgrade as well, at the recommended price of Euro 1'500.-, WITHOUT the revolving adapter: this uprade path is available as per June 01st 2008.

- not to forget: those customers upgrading as above will get a BRAND NEW eMotion 75 (or 75 LV).

Best regards,
Thierry

Marc,
If I understood Thierry's earlier post there will be an update to a 2.5" OLED from the current 2" OLED within the next few weeks as well as updated electronics for better high ISO shooting, etc. This update is available to existing owners (of the e75) for somewhere around $2k (30% discount from $3k recommended price) but it comes with the revolving adapter which is close to $2k anyway. Give or take a few dollars, if you were going to buy the revolving adapter (I am) the upgrade is essentially free (actually, you get a new back with the upgrade). Frankly, if it were otherwise, I'd probably be complaining since I haven't even taken delivery of my unit and it's already old technology (at least to this limited extent). With regard to demo unit availability, Steve Hendrix had a demo kit which will become available in a few months. Apparently Sinar has a one year waiting period requirement before dealers are allowed to sell a unit as a demo. There is no question that you need to look around to get the best pricing. Unfortunately, this is not like buying a Nikon D3. Pricing and options can vary considerably. The deal that David Klepacki got on his demo was not available to me and the deal that I got on my unit is probably not available to you. Confused yet ???

Hank Graber

MF lens signatures

Just saw this thread and going back to the posts about lens signatures and bokeh. I have found it easier to find 35mm lenses that provide the sorts of signature that I like. I loved the Zeiss 120 Makro but hated the bokeh. Other lenses fell somewhere in between. Some of my favorite MF lenses both from a resolution and nice OOF areas:

Zeiss 150/2.8 FE:

View attachment 3171

View attachment 3172

Schneider 120/5.6 Macro Digitar

View attachment 3173

Plaubel Makina 80/2.8 Nikkor (6x7 RF camera) -didn't have any wide open shots handy but this was a stellar lens and one of my all time favorite cameras:

View attachment 3175

View attachment 3174

Schneider 75/3.5 Rollei TLR

The Rodenstocks were super in this regard but I don't have any samples at hand right now.

irakly

rolleiflex automat with a 3.5/75 xenotar is also one of my favorites.
this is fuji astia 100, double exposure, nothing else done.

Hank Graber

The Rollei TLR with a Zeiss or Schneider lens along with the Leica M with a compact 50 or 35mm lens were for me the zenith of the age of analog mechanical cameras. They were just so incredibly refined, nothing today comes close.

LJL

I realize the projected plane of focus for the M glass does not work in the MF configuration, but I was thinking about how slick a system that could be if it did.

LJ

LJL

Hank,
Love that first shot for sure. Something that just looks hard to get any other way. Same for that last image. The dark skin on the woman's knees almost looks like real satin. Nice. Love seeing this "way beyond the pale" for 35mm stuff.

LJ

irakly

.....to take big MF lenses, or Leica M lenses? If the image circle would stretch that far, that might be nice.

LJ
baby rollei was a tlr with built-in lenses. rollei cameras have this magical property: once you start shooting with them, you do not seem to need any other focal lengths.

T

thsinar

Beautiful, David!

I have some 40 different types of orchids in my garden, all having their flowers right now. I want to shoot them with my eMotion 75, but will get my Zeiss 110/2 only next week: may be too late then, since it comes to the end.

:thumbdown:

Best regards,
Thierry

This is why I shoot with the C645. Hassy 110/2 FE (4th gen) wide open.

LJL

baby rollei was a tlr with built-in lenses. rollei cameras have this magical property: once you start shooting with them, you do not seem to need any other focal lengths.
Irakly,
Sorry for the confusion....I was thinking "baby 6000 series", not the TLRs.

LJ