Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: why i shoot with C645

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

why i shoot with C645

These new fancy Hasselblad H-something cameras are great for stopped-down photography, but for wide-open Zeiss lenses make everything else bite the dust. Well, perhaps except for Schneider...
    NO photoshop in the image below.
    C645, 2.4/140 Sonnar, PhaseOne P25

Post Thanks / Like

Re: why i shoot with C645

The Kodak back even at ISO 400 isnt so bad!
    This is of course, the C645
    Not as smooth as the P25 but still quite usable!
    At iso 100 it is just great
    Victor
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Victor, was this with a flash? Looking at the glare in the barrel hoops. And which lens? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

At ISO 100 what's not to like!
    [again Kodak back on C645]
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Victor, was this with a flash? Looking at the glare in the barrel hoops. And which lens? thanks.
    No flash. There was an open door with afternoon sun
    the shot was at 1/45s f3.5 full open the 35mm (I was right behind the couple, and you can tell a LOT is in focus!>)
    you can see the reflection of the opened doors in the bands. and of sourse no sharp shaddows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh, i love kodak back! i still have two of those (well, one will not be mine soon). in many respects i like it more than phase one. mostly for its grain-like noise on iso400.
    all pictures below shot with kodak dcs proback 645c
    Last edited by irakly; 15th April 2008 at 16:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shots Irakly nice skin tone and DR especially in the last one - and very funny comment on H series lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, I was not joking. Those lenses are optimized for studio flash photography, just like all fuji medium format optics. Wide open they perform well, but there is no beauty, if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it is true they are studio optimised to get the DOF needed - sharp used like this - everything is a compromise. - most bokeh 'issues' I have found are against green background in outdoor shoot when background is too close - tell me which manufacturer 'conquers' this problem? H series are sharp lenses/ high contrast - much like Leica asphericals...Well we can always hang a V Zeiss via adaptor if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it is not only bokeh. my main objections against fuji lenses is how they render colour gradations and transitions between sharp and out-of-focus areas. another thing is kind of esoteric, it is called plasticity. it is just not there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    it is not only bokeh. my main objections against fuji lenses is how they render colour gradations and transitions between sharp and out-of-focus areas. another thing is kind of esoteric, it is called plasticity. it is just not there.
    Interesting; I always wonder the difference in zeiss vs fuji look. The transitions and gradings also provide visual clues to the form of an object and better rendition may be why zeiss designs create a 3 dimensional perspective more easily than other lenses (and Leica do as well.)

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

precisely. i just uploaded a bunch of zeiss and leica pictures in the gallery. have a look. it's exactly what you are saying: 3d look.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Waiting with baited breath for Marc's response

thsinar

Nice images, irakly!

Thierry

precisely. i just uploaded a bunch of zeiss and leica pictures in the gallery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks thierry. uploaded some more to the gallery. there are mostly c645 and some leica m8 photos.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is an interesting comparison but at the 'good?' end?

As a blatant fan of german glass (WDRT Kyocera for Contax that they found no way to mess up! ) is it cost? that is lower dispersion glass?

As we see Nikon going to LD glass does it gain in 3 dimensionality?

Love to see the HB Fuji examples, as my next choice will likely be the H2/H3 route OR the Hy6/Rollei (as BACKUP to my Contax 645

Irakly, why not pick some of your best for a thread on

"MF; It's the GLASS, stupid!"

I guess too inflamatory (I won't do it)

Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL. Irakly just left my studio and we had a good laugh about how this would stir the pot.

Okay, I'm game ... words are one thing, pictures are another ...

Look at the horrible double image Bokeh in the background of the Pepper shot ... and the wormy highlights ... or edge on the end of the tea pot spout ...

Maybe a little photoshop blur WOULD help ...

Too bad thay don't make an adapter to use the HC 100/2.2 on the C645 so you could get some nice tonal and edge gradations in the Bokeh ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    LOL. Irakly just left my studio and we had a good laugh about how this would stir the pot.

Look at the horrible double image Bokeh in the background of the Pepper shot ... and the wormy highlights ... or edge on the end of the tea pot spout ...

Too bad thay don't make an adapter to use the HC 100/2.2 on the C645 so you could get some nice tonal and edge gradations in the Bokeh ...
    Marc, I must be either too inexperienced (true enough) or slow to catch on (quite possible), but I find myself unsure of the points you are trying to make. I think there is some tongue in cheek humor in there somewhere. Would you mind making your points more clearly for my benefit? Are you saying you don't like Zeiss glass, or certain Zeiss lenses, or...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hahaha marc, i guess you were wearing your wife's glasses and did not notice that the picture was shot through a piece of sarah wrap

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tom, he is just too envious that he sold his contax 645, but i kept mine. you know, we all sometimes make decisions that we regret later and channel our anger upon gentle and defenseless creatures like me.

Post Thanks / Like

OK shootout time
    if you guys are that close, how about a parallel setup keeping as much the same but changing the glass.

I am right now between going H2 or the Hy6

I can use non AF zeiss all I want

what I want is the best combo of IQ and clean AF [I guess for some reason you cant have the HB 28mm on anything but the H3, but I want a n open system.

Marc, your back is??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, I agree totally with Marc. That bokeh is just plain ugly! (Sorry, but I am being totally serious, no tounge in cheek.)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, it the sarah wrap stretched diagonally from upper right to lower left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, it the sarah wrap stretched diagonally from upper right to lower left.
    Uh huh.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, I must be either too inexperienced (true enough) or slow to catch on (quite possible), but I find myself unsure of the points you are trying to make. I think there is some tongue in cheek humor in there somewhere. Would you mind making your points more clearly for my benefit? Are you saying you don't like Zeiss glass, or certain Zeiss lenses, or...?
    Yes, some tongue in cheek Tom ... Irakly is a dear and close friend and I'm just giving him some back in kind.

As to Zeiss ... Let's see ... I currently own and use 14 Zeiss MF lenses for my Hasselblads including 4 FE versions ... I owned and used the Contax 645 system for years including ALL of the Zeiss/Contax lenses for it (except the 210/4) ... some of which Irakly bought from me ... so it's probably safe to say that it isn't that I don't like Zeiss optics.

I also have and use the HC series for the Hasselblad H3D-II/39. I've posted images here that dispelled the persistent belief that they are somehow inferior. Even critics tended to agree ... smooth Bokeh, subjects that pop off the background, nice edge transitions ... then go right back to being closed minded about it.

I use both Zeiss and HC optics, often on the same camera with the same digital back. They're both great.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    OK shootout time
    if you guys are that close, how about a parallel setup keeping as much the same but changing the glass.

I am right now between going H2 or the Hy6

I can use non AF zeiss all I want

what I want is the best combo of IQ and clean AF [I guess for some reason you cant have the HB 28mm on anything but the H3, but I want a n open system.

Marc, your back is??
    Actually, I don't need a dual camera shoot out. I can set up a subject, light it with a consistent source, mount any Zeiss CFi or CFE lens on the H3D-11/39, shoot, remove it, and mount the equivalent HC focal length without changing anything, and shoot with it.

I promise not to use any Saran wrap ... and Irakly can set up the subject, light it and monitor the whole process so I can't cheat ... LOL.

Let's start with the 100/2.2 ... oh, wait Zeiss doesn't make a 100 that fast ...

How about a 50 and 150 both at at f/4 closest focusing distance?

While were at it let's do a AF shoot out between the Contax and H3 ... with money on it ... and to save time, just send me the money, because it's no contest : -)

Post Thanks / Like

Let's start with the 100/2.2 ... oh, wait Zeiss doesn't make a 100 that fast ...
    Other way around. Let's start with the Contax Zeiss 80/2....Fujiblad doesn't make any lens that fast...Also, Contax made (with Hasselblad) the MAM-1 adapter to accommodate ALL Hasselblad lenses, including the faster Zeiss FE Planar 110/2... unfortunately this lens cannot be used on the H cameras.

How about a 50 and 150 both at at f/4 closest focusing distance?
    How about the Hasselblad Zeiss FE 50 at f/2.8, the Hasselblad Zeiss FE 150/2.8, or even the Contax AF Zeiss 140/2.8? all possible on the Contax.... all NOT possible with any of the H cameras. Unfortunately, the H cameras cannot do f/2.8 at any focal length other than 100 and the 80. In fact, here is a list of all Zeiss lenses that are F/2.8 or faster that will work on the Contax:

Contax Zeiss 45/2.8
    Hasselblad Zeiss FE 50/2.8 (which has 0.32m close focus distance....Fujiblad is 0.6m)
    Contax Zeiss 80/2
    Hasselblad Zeiss 110/2
    Contax Zeiss 140/2.8
    Hasselblad Zeiss 150/2.8
    Hasselblad Zeiss 300/2.8

How many lenses of this speed are available on the Hasselblad H series? Only 2: the 80/2.8 and 100/2.2.

While were at it let's do a AF shoot out between the Contax and H3 ... with money on it ... and to save time, just send me the money, because it's no contest : -)
    OK, let's see which camera has better AF at 1/1000....oh wait, the Hasselblad H cameras are not able to shoot as high as that speed.
    Last edited by David Klepacki; 16th April 2008 at 18:24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Contax Zeiss AF 45/2.8
    Hasselblad Zeiss FE 50/2.8 (which has 0.32m close focus distance....Fujiblad is 0.6m)
    Contax Zeiss 80/2
    Hasselblad Zeiss 110/2
    Contax Zeiss 140/2.8
    Hasselblad Zeiss 150/2.8
    Hasselblad Zeiss 300/2.8

How many lenses of this speed are available on the Hasselblad H series? Only 2: the 80/2.8 and 100/2.2.
    Compare with Rollei 6000/Hy6:

50mm f2.8 Schneider
    80mm f2 Schneider (also 80mm f2.8 Zeiss/Schneider)
    110mm f2 Zeiss
    180mm f2.8

This is the best of the leaf shutter lens ranges. The Contax has a slight edge but of course suffers from slow flash sync.

thsinar

Agree a 100% with you, Graham.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post

50mm f2.8 Schneider
    110mm f2 Zeiss
    180mm f2.8

This is the best of the leaf shutter lens ranges. The Contax has a slight edge but of course suffers from slow flash sync.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Starting to sound like Russian Roulette at sunset. LOL

Did I step into a Canon forum. Easy guys my wallet is about to burst into flames
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

The Rollei 6000/Hy6 range should be even 'faster' when some of the announced lenses are available (later this year I hope):

S-Flektogon 2,8/35 mm
    Tele-Biometar 2,8/150 mm

Post Thanks / Like

50mm f2.8 Schneider
    110mm f2 Zeiss
    180mm f2.8

I couldn't agree more! I am also a Hy6/e75LV user ... and loving every minute of it.

The point of my previous posting was to defend the Contax against Marc's comments with regard to the Hasselblad H.

That's the great thing about the Sinar system. You can use their back on the Hy6 to get the highest speed AF lenses and flash sync, and then use the same back on the Contax 645 to get all that Zeiss glass with up to 1/4000 shutter speed.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Other way around. Let's start with the Contax Zeiss 80/2....Fujiblad doesn't make any lens that fast...Also, Contax made (with Hasselblad) the MAM-1 adapter to accommodate ALL Hasselblad lenses, including the faster Zeiss FE Planar 110/2... unfortunately this lens cannot be used on the H cameras.

How about the Hasselblad Zeiss FE 50 at f/2.8, the Hasselblad Zeiss FE 150/2.8, or even the Contax AF Zeiss 140/2.8? all possible on the Contax.... all NOT possible with any of the H cameras. Unfortunately, the H cameras cannot do f/2.8 at any focal length other than 100 and the 80. In fact, here is a list of all Zeiss lenses that are F/2.8 or faster that will work on the Contax:

Contax Zeiss AF 45/2.8
    Contax Zeiss 80/2
    Hasselblad Zeiss 110/2
    Contax Zeiss 140/2.8
    Hasselblad Zeiss 150/2.8
    Hasselblad Zeiss 300/2.8

OK, let's see which camera has better AF at 1/1000....oh wait, the Hasselblad H cameras are not able to shoot as high as that speed.
    What does shutter speed have to do with AF speed?

You are talking about the fundamental difference between a focal plane camera and a leaf shutter camera ... never the twain shall meet.

So, to continue the ridiculous comparison ...let's do the test with strobes shooting at 1/500th or 1/800th ... zap ... all those fast lenses are now useless paper weights, and so is the Contax 645.

You guys are serious. Okey dokey ... you forget that I used the system for years and know where the skeletons are buried.

If I wanted a Contax 645 and all those lenses, I'd buy everything tomorrow... I have the technology and the means: -) But, the AF is a fat turtle carried by a sedated snail. Of course one could manually focus, but if I want to shoot manual focus I'll use my 203FE and all the FE glass without being slowed down even more with stop down metering. Then there is the stone aged flash controls, and the bag full of batteries you need to keep the camera working (can't tell you how many shots I missed due to camera SDS) ... and so on.

I personally lament that the Contax 645 didn't move to the next level and was abandoned by Kyocera. It left a vacuum in focal plane cameras with Mamiya the only digital player now. If the C645 were alive today, and advancements had been made to keep it current, it would be my second digital camera ... one focal plane shutter Contax 645-II, and the H3D for leaf shutter applications.

Leaf shutter is way more important to me, as well as many others ... that the Hy6 is a leaf shutter camera is somewhat telling huh?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, now I know what you mean by "Plasticity" ... Saran wrap. : -0

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Rollei 6000/Hy6 range should be even 'faster' when some of the announced lenses are available (later this year I hope):

S-Flektogon 2,8/35 mm
    Tele-Biometar 2,8/150 mm
    Speaking of "Wallets bursting into flames."

Post Thanks / Like

fotografz, foto-z

You guys are killing me. I can never remember who's who, not to mention which side of an argument you are each taking! Yeah, I know one's in Michigan and the other's in Estonia but I'm still left in a fog.

This is all in fun, but it is true that your usernames get me confused. But don't stop!

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, I am just trying to balance the perspectives....you were a little harsh on the Contax. Despite your current preference for the H3D, the Contax is still a great camera, even though it has its limitations. If the H3D works for you and you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

Personally, I am quite glad that I did not lock myself into the Hasselblad H3D closed system. With only one Sinar back, I can shoot the Contax 645 when I need the focal plane shutter, the Sinar Hy6 when I need the high speed leaf shutter, and the Hasselblad 203FE....just for the fun of it!

And, if I feel the need to shoot a 28mm lens, I will just get the Phase camera and the Mamiya adapter for the same Sinar back, and voila, I can shoot with that system as well. Or maybe change my mind and get the new 28mm HR lens and the Sinar M camera. Basically, I get to take advantage of all of these systems without having to buy a new back for them.

So, even though the Hasselblad H3D system may be a great system, I chose to go with Sinar for the added freedom it gives me. Of course, I can also add a H3DII system to my arsenal, but it does not really do anything for me. It would add more dependency on the Hasselblad software (e.g, to apply their lens corrections), and disrupt the more open and standard workflow that I get from all the other systems that I use with a single back (e.g., and also being able to use Lightroom, ACR).
    Last edited by David Klepacki; 16th April 2008 at 20:05.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fotografz, foto-z

You guys are killing me. I can never remember who's who, not to mention which side of an argument you are each taking! Yeah, I know one's in Michigan and the other's in Estonia but I'm still left in a fog.

This is all in fun, but it is true that your usernames get me confused. But don't stop!
    Estonia ... LOL.

If you are referring to Irakly and I, we live close to one another in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. He lives in dumpy and stuffy Grosse Pointe Park, and I live in charming and quaint Franklin : -)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, I am just trying to balance the perspectives....you were a little harsh on the Contax. Despite your current preference for the H3D, the Contax is still a great camera, even though it has its limitations. If the H3D works for you and you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

Personally, I am quite glad that I did not lock myself into the Hasselblad H3D closed system. With only one Sinar back, I can shoot the Contax 645 when I need the focal plane shutter, the Sinar Hy6 when I need the high speed leaf shutter, and the Hasselblad 203FE....just for the fun of it!

And, if I feel the need to shoot a 28mm lens, I will just get the Phase camera and the Mamiya adapter for the same Sinar back, and voila, I can shoot with that system as well. Or maybe change my mind and get the new 28mm HR lens and the Sinar M camera. Basically, I get to take advantage of all of these systems without having to buy a new back for them.

So, even though the Hasselblad H3D system may be a great system, I chose to go with Sinar for the added freedom it gives me.
    David, I didn't start this thread. Just bringing a balance to it myself. Some may want to shoot with all kinds of various cameras ... I don't anymore. These days I prefer to shoot with a H3 leaf shutter camera first and foremost ... as it does most everything I need ... fast and agile, or on a view camera. However, I would also like to use a focal plane shutter camera ... just not the Contax any more ... the AF is to slow, the flash controls are old tech., and I have to have high sync speed (3 extraordinarily important things to me), and nothing is going to change that. The H3D-II delivers in all 3 of those areas.

So, the only focal plane camera I am interested in is the 203FE. Good back up, and as you say "fun". I already have it, and all the lenses. It was, and still is, my fav. MF camera.

Until recently, I was unaware that Sinar e-Motion backs will work on this wonderful camera. One V adapter and I can use the Sinar on the 203FE and 503CW.
    I've inquired about the Sinar, and am thinking it through. I am reluctant because the LCD is tiny and dim and the software is clunky ... but it appears that the software is advancing, so that is good news. Expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

grahhamm

in Tallinn

Estonia

Post Thanks / Like

Estonia ... LOL.

If you are referring to Irakly and I, we live close to one another in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. He lives in dumpy and stuffy Grosse Pointe Park, and I live in charming and quaint Franklin : -)
    No, sorry, Irakly doesn't begin with "foto" and end in "z".

Post Thanks / Like

I think what we are proving here is that there is no single system; I actually have four (counting the Alpa) and am looking at a fifth. Why? well, there are times when one of the four isnt the right tool.
    The H3 system has a lot; maybe it is tops, certainly tempted me (and 'closed'? that's just a concept-if it did everything who would care.

But, you arent doing stop motion even at 1/1000. And it is pretty big and (dare I say? sure it is BUTT UGLY)

The Contax is smaller than most SLRs in my hand and the AF is fast enough for me

but telephoto? I want my DMR and Leica modular (1200mm 5.6 equivalent) and the M8, for walkaround and just neat public stuff.

And if you think about high strobe synch-get over it; get a large enough strobe, set a low ISO and high f value (watch that diffraction )and the ambient light isnt going to smudge anythig.

and here they come; small nuclear missles from detroitr, a few more from Florida, and what's that? more from that Pacific island?...

hey, let's stop this- simple duel, Holgas at 20 paces

Post Thanks / Like

oh here's that awful, SLOW synch Contax at it again!
    In a room with a whole window wall on the backdrop, (ok it was cloudy, but the overheads we could get off LOL)

I don't see any motion burr on the hair,

...do you see any motion blurr?

pretty hefty fan (but not as bad as cat whiskers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

man, you need to brush up your studio lighting skills
    both pics are huge nopers, but you are right, no motion blur

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

marc... this is the case f improbable probability! remember a story about two estonians that i told you today?

thsinar

yes, and the Schneider AFD Tele-Xenar 2.8/180 PQ is available already.

Planed is also a AFD 2.8/120 HFT PQS, but no ETA for this one yet.

Thierry

S-Flektogon 2,8/35 mm
    Tele-Biometar 2,8/150 mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I people listed the reasons why they like a camera system and then weighted each aspect of that reasoning by % importance - then we could have a logic to a discussion.

The only people 'challenged' by logic and rationale - are those whose preferences are too idiosyncratic to be of relevance to anyone else.

So by all means put down your thoughts on stuff - I am every interested - I am more interested in your weighting of these factors and the reasons behind the weightings.

So with all due respect how 'fast' a MF lens shoots is very unimportant to me aand a half stop difference between various maker's 'fast' lenses -even less so.

If you need to be told why 'fast' lenses aren't that interesting in MF - maybe you should stick to 35mm shooting.

Cheers
    Pete

thsinar

hi Marc,

- Please have a look again on the "tiny" display in a couple of weeks: the OLED display has been changed in the new delivered eMotion backs and has now a size of 2.5". It might not be yet the 3" size of the new H3DII TFT display, but I can assure you that you will be able to use it outdoors under daylight conditions: it is a OLED display, as mentioned, and as such brighter by at least 1 stop than a LCD display.

- Captureshop belongs to the past: give it a try with the new released eXposure.

- Prices: I can assure you that we are among the cheapest when it comes to compare the systems (camera + back). This can of course vary from one country to another, and you might prove me wrong for your particular case, but in most countries it is the case.

Best regards,
    Thierry

... I've inquired about the Sinar, and am thinking it through. I am reluctant because the LCD is tiny and dim and the software is clunky ... but it appears that the software is advancing, so that is good news. Expensive.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, sorry, Irakly doesn't begin with "foto" and end in "z".
    Oh,yeah, you did say that ... I missed it.

But it was fun givin' Irakly the business anyway.
    Last edited by fotografz; 17th April 2008 at 02:42.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

marc... this is the case f improbable probability! remember a story about two estonians that i told you today?
    Irakly, that's why I ...

(you had to be there folks)
    Last edited by fotografz; 17th April 2008 at 02:39.