The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad D Flash 40 and digital back ?

T

tetsrfun

I don't know about the Aptus but I don't think that the concept should be different than using D40 TTL with the 503CW and CFV back.. This this from the CFV manual:

"TTL function – 503CW only
A TTL function is only available with the 503CW. The reflective characteristics of the digital sensor are different to film surface characteristics for which the TTL function was originally designed. However, by changing (in effect, ‘tricking’) the setting, TTL exposures can be made. Proceed as follows:
Move the ISO selector on the 503CW so that is becomes approximately 12⁄3 f/stop higher than the ISO setting on the CFV. Therefore, for example, when the back is set at 50ISO, the ‘film speed setting’ on the camera should read 160ISO, and so on. Testing for the most suitable compensation that suits you is recommended."

Steve

archivue

thanks, it' a question of reflection of the surface... so it must change with different backs.

the good news, is that if the voltage is good for the CFV then it sould be ok for the aptus as well.

T

tetsrfun

With the D40, the back is passive. The D40 is plugged into the 503 and the TTL is done by 503. the ISO selector on the 503 needs to increased to match digital vs film. That's the advantage of digital, exposure and flash adjustments can be made in "real time" rather than waiting for the film to be developed to see is you screwed up. :>) I am going to try a D40 next week.

Fotografz has a lot of experience with the D40, maybe he can help you also.

Steve

Steve

T

tetsrfun

does anybody have experience with the D40 as an off-camera flash a la strobist?
The D-40 is a dedicated system for 503, 500&503ELX, 555ELD and 200 series cameras. I don't think off camera use is possible unless extensions cables were made for the camera connections.

Steve

fotografz

does anybody have experience with the D40 as an off-camera flash a la strobist?
Yes.

I use two D40s on stands fired by Pocket Wizards and powered by Quantum Turbo Cs for shooting wedding formals.

Of course used with Pocket Wizards, there is no TTL ability, or ability to adjust the power ratio (it's always "full power"). But I couldn't care less about that as I usually need all the power they have anyway when firing through translucent umbrellas or off reflective umbrellas.

To control lighting ratios, I simply move the parabolic reflector from wide to normal, and/or literally set the stands at different distances or move the umbrella shaft in and out. I'm usually placing the stands differently for effect anyway.

There is a 16' hard wire TTL extension cord that plugs into the existing D40 TTL cord ... and you'll also need a 16' sync cord. Then you can shoot full TTL with a D40 off-camera. This works quite well for studio type stuff with a bounce surface for fill. I vaguely recall that they also made a "splitter" to hard wire two D40s for off-camera TTL.

The only reason I still use these is because they are bare bulb, and I had them left over from my V days. I use them this way interchangeably with any camera ... Leica M, Sony A900 or the H camera. Even if I could set up TTL, I probably wouldn't because I like to specifically control the lighting myself. TTL off-camera is over-rated IMHO ... you just end up over-rideing the settings anyway.

If you are in the US, and want the 16' TTL cord and 16' sync cord that I have, then PM me.

In fact, if anyone wants the whole set-up: two mint D40s, extra battery modules, Pocket wizard cords, Quantum cords and the TTL extension cord, let me know. I'm moving to just manually using my Sony HV58s with Pocket Wizards to cut down on my wedding kit size.

-Marc

Here's one ... D40 fired into reflective umbrella set camera left as main ... second D40 and umbrella set 2X farther away and feathered to just provide subject fill, and light the background.

Thomas73

Hi all,

What is your experience with the D-flash 40 in film photography ? Is it compatible with H film cameras ?

Thanks for your sharing your opinions.