Site Sponsors

Thread: Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to Capture One 5.1

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to Capture One 5.1

Capture One has the dominant market share for tethered shooting. Up until last year this was limited to Canon dSLRs and Phase One digital backs. In version 4.6 tethering in Capture One was opened to Nikon dSLRs. Now in version 5.1 the game is changing again.

Leaf Cameras Supported for Tethered Capture in Capture One 5.1 DB:

- Leaf Aptus II 10, Aptus II 8, Aptus II 7, Aptus II 6, Aptus II 5
    - Leaf Afi II 10, Afi II 7, Afi II 6

Leaf Cameras Supported for Tethered Capture in Capture One 5.1 PRO:
    - Leaf Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S
    - Leaf Afi 7, Afi 6, Afi 5
    - Leaf Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17

This tethered support is offered for Leaf backs as-they-are and does not require a new firmware (though you should ensure your firwmare is the latest available) or hardware update. Many Leaf photographers already own Capture One 5 Pro for use tethering the Nikon or Canon or for processing their Leica or other camera's raws - those photographers can update their software for free to 5.1 and plus in their Leaf and use it tethered immediately. Users who own Capture One 3 Pro or Capture One 4 Pro can upgrade to Capture One 5.1 Pro for $99*

Live View for Leaf backs is not yet supported, but R+D expects to be able to implement Live View for some backs soon (no details can be provided at this time since they are seeing what can be made to work as we speak.

Stability and Performance
    Shot-to-preview time is currently a bit slower than Leaf Capture. This is an area of performance that R+D anticipates being able to improve in the coming months. C1 has always had incredibly fast shot-to-preview times with Phase One cameras, even those with very large files like the P65+, so stay tuned for further improvements in performance.

Capture Integration (our company) has earned a reputation for being careful with it's recommendations for software updating in appreciation for just how important it is for tethering software to be rock solid stable. Although Phase and Leaf have tested this release with a variety of leaf backs and computers I would still advise that anytime such a large improvement is made (adding tethered support for 18 different backs in one release - let alone a new brand/type of back) that caution is required and that you should test your own specific setup extensively before using it on a job. We will be happy to report back here our findings as we, and our customers, start to use the new version with Leaf backs and we encourage you to do the same. Of course we also encourage you to do your own due-diligence - if you experience problems please read our Ideal Tethered Setup which, though catered to Phase One backs, still contains a useful checklist for Leaf owners, and to contact your Leaf dealer to see if you're running the latest firmware for your camera. Often the forums get flooded by implied issues which are actually user error - and that doesn't help anyone.

Support for Leaf tethering in Windows is being called "preliminary". So be especially sure to test your specific setup before using it on a job.

FREE Trial

ALL users will be able to do a 30 day full-featured trial of Capture One. Even if you've already done a trial of 5.0 you are eligible for a free trial of 5.1.

Other Features and Bug Fixes

Auto Select New Capture - Auto Pause: Fixing this annoyance
    Spot Removal - previous spot removal only worked well for dust, new spot removal works for zits, dirt, and, apparently flies.
    Advanced Noise Reduction - available for advanced users to easily modify the type of noise reduction based on their intended use, includes surface noise reduction which targets noise in areas of continuos tone (e.g. the paint on a smooth/shiny car), and fine grain which was borrowed from Leaf Capture to allow the introduction of a fine and uniform grain to help mask unpleasant noise in very high ISO or for aesthetic effect
    Underline Acceptable - In 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 the underline key was disabled during text entry - in 5.1 this is fixed
    Negative Clarity - used to enhance the smoothness of tonality in a portrait
    Inverted Color Selection in Color Editor - the color editor is the most powerful tool in Capture One and this new tool makes it more flexible, allowing you to select the inversion of a particular color for editing
    Improved Metadata Handling - GPS location and aut0-importing of metadata stored in compatible sidecar files generated in other programs
    Improved Sorting - including sort-by-process-state and more intelligent sort-by-name
    Aspect ratio available from Crop Cursor drop down - brought back from the days of version 3.X this option saves you time when switching cropping aspect ratios and just plain makes sense
    Faster loading of recent folders - similar to the near-instant loads for folders which are assigned as favorites Capture One 5.1 now includes sophisticated recent folder handling
    Faster loading of large folders - catalog shooters will notice improvements when opening folders with many hundreds or thousands of raw files.

10% Discount for purchase

Capture Integration offers an easy way to purchase Capture One online at a 10% discount. Check out our step-by-step instructions on Buying Capture One.

Installation

We recommend that for the best experience you remove the application, application support, and preference files of any previous Capture One version before installing Capture One 5.1. This is not "required" but it has been our long standing experience that doing so is a good idea. See our uninstall instructions for a comprehensive guide, but for the purposes of an upgrade you can skip all the steps except the application, application support, and preference files. If you skip this step and experience a weird glitch, bug, or strangeness, then close the program and delete the application support and preference files.

Training Available

Capture Integration is known throughout the world and the web as a leading expert in Capture One. If you are a Leaf user who is considering purchasing or using Capture One you should subscribe to our newsletter. We'll be announcing March classes online specific to Capture One 5.1 for users coming from Leaf Capture.

Parting Thoughts

When Phase One purchased the assets and took on many of the employees of Leaf we received many calls from Leaf users asking when they would get to use Capture One. Now, just a few months later, this support is being offered even back to the Aptus 17. This is a good day for Leaf users and for Phase One, which has just expanded it's user base enormously.

More Information

You can find more information about Capture One, including tips and tricks, at our Capture Integration Medium Format Tech Blog.

*depending on when you bought your Capture One 3 Pro license you may be entitled to a free upgrade to version 5 Pro. Check with your dealer or look in your account at phaseone.com > my account (sign in) > license management > select your license.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 22nd February 2010 at 06:16.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to

HAHA. I pushed submit before finishing the thread title. It's supposed to read "Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to Capture One 5.1" but I actually like the implied mystery of the mistaken title.

Edit: Thank you moderators for the correction :-).
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 22nd February 2010 at 06:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to Capture One 5.1

These areGREAT news indeed!!!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally agree. All the legacy users must be very happy indeed
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    HAHA. I pushed submit before finishing the thread title. It's supposed to read "Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to Capture One 5.1" but I actually like the implied mystery of the mistaken title.

Edit: Thank you moderators for the correction :-).
    I edited it for you
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Saved by the Admin!

(xkcd.com)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    These areGREAT news indeed!!!
    By coincident #1 - I tested C1 2-3 years ago and did NOT like it...

By coincident #2 - I have demoed it for my A65 using DNG over CS4 for last 4-5 days. I am blown away, this is a tremendous tool that perfect match my brain, adjustments and workflow alike. Hands down it is like I have a new camera.

The fact that the new version of C1 enables me use it without DNG is simply icing on the cake...

Interesting is also the great fruit seen by Phase One buying up Leaf. Should there be something to add to C1, it would be... if you could add a tad brilliance to slight resemble what still keeps me hooked onto slides...

Apart from above, whenever time for upgrade... it is destined to be a Leaf.

Thanks!!!

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    By coincident #1 - I tested C1 2-3 years ago and did NOT like it...

By coincident #2 - I have demoed it for my A65 using DNG over CS4 for last 4-5 days. I am blown away, this is a tremendous tool that perfect match my brain, adjustments and workflow alike. Hands down it is like I have a new camera.

The fact that the new version of C1 enables me use it without DNG is simply icing on the cake...

Interesting is also the great fruit seen by Phase One buying up Leaf. Should there be something to add to C1, it would be... if you could add a tad brilliance to slight resemble what still keeps me hooked onto slides...

Apart from above, whenever time for upgrade... it is destined to be a Leaf.

Thanks!!!

Regards
    Anders
    Hi Anders, FYI DNG support in C1 is "generic" and is not optimised for any specific camera.

If you now use your .mos files you will notice not only that the quality is better but that you can use additional tools and functions, such as support for the Leaf Input Profiles and Develop curves, lens correction etc.

Enjoy!

Yair

DougDolde

Is it better than Leaf Capture now for an Aptus 75S user? If so how? I'm not particularly interested in paying for a new converter when Leaf Capture does the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,

Download the free demo and try it out for yourself! Workflow with C1 is awesome IMO...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Is it better than Leaf Capture now for an Aptus 75S user? If so how? I'm not particularly interested in paying for a new converter when Leaf Capture does the job.
    It's a different convertor with different (and more) tools and different math. You may like the results more, you may like the results less. Only you can decide. Fortunately the 30-day trial is completely free and fully functional.

One tremendous advantage is that you can use the same convertor for your Canon, Nikon, Leaf, P+S files and Phase One files (in case you ever rented or upgraded one of those).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

DougDolde

I hope I don't like it well enough to shell out for it.

DougDolde

As far as I can see there is no digital ND Grad filter like Lightroom has. That seems like a serious omission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, there are no localized edits at all in C1 -- stick with LR or ACR if you want those. However if you want to get the most from your files, then you may find C1 a bit more useful (and probably won't need to both with HDR captures any more ). You will also probably find the color editor a HUGELY powerful tool if you take the time to master it...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Color editor is actually a better tool but like Jack said takes some time to make it like a paintbrush in your tool kit. Very very powerful tool
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would have thought that Leaf owners can use the DB version of C1 without buying the Pro version. Maybe Yair can confirm.

DougDolde

One thing it has over LR is the ability to work in your folders instead of LR's arcane library system. The only thing I like about LR is the ND Grads !

I think you have to use the Pro version of C1 to get support for the Aptus 75S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, honestly if you have to have a split grad, it isn't much more work in CS and you can make one that is dedicated to your horizon for a *LOT* more natural effect...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Goh View Post
    I would have thought that Leaf owners can use the DB version of C1 without buying the Pro version. Maybe Yair can confirm.
    Just did on LL:

Leaf tethered support
    The DB version supports tethering to: Leaf Aptus-II 10, Aptus-II 7, Aptus-II 6, Aptus-II 5, AFi-II 10, AFi-II 7, AFi-II 6
    The PRO version is needed to tether to: Leaf Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S, AFi 7, AFi 6, AFi 5, Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17

Leaf .mos file support
    DB version supports: Leaf Aptus-II 10, Aptus-II 8 (preliminary) Aptus-II 7, Aptus-II 6, Aptus-II 5, AFi-II 10, AFi-II 7, AFi-II 6
    Basic or PRO versions support the above PLUS: Leaf Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S, AFi 7, AFi 6, AFi 5, Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17

Yair

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Yair.

Now it becomes attractive to buy a Leaf as a second back to P1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Goh View Post
    Thanks Yair.

Now it becomes attractive to buy a Leaf as a second back to P1.
    Or the other way around

DougDolde

Jack aren't you overlooking the major advantage that LR grads are applied to the RAW image? This is basically adjusting the exposure selectively.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent work Yaya! I've been playing around with it (have always liked C1), and the files are excellent. Do you know if there's a way to get the overlay/crop used when shooting (sort of like LC does now). For specific projects, i'll shoot with a square crop, and it would be handy to have that follow the .mos file into C1

Again.. great work you guys!!!

Just did on LL:

Leaf tethered support
    The DB version supports tethering to: Leaf Aptus-II 10, Aptus-II 7, Aptus-II 6, Aptus-II 5, AFi-II 10, AFi-II 7, AFi-II 6
    The PRO version is needed to tether to: Leaf Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S, AFi 7, AFi 6, AFi 5, Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17

Leaf .mos file support
    DB version supports: Leaf Aptus-II 10, Aptus-II 8 (preliminary) Aptus-II 7, Aptus-II 6, Aptus-II 5, AFi-II 10, AFi-II 7, AFi-II 6
    Basic or PRO versions support the above PLUS: Leaf Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S, AFi 7, AFi 6, AFi 5, Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17

Yair

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Jack aren't you overlooking the major advantage that LR grads are applied to the RAW image? This is basically adjusting the exposure selectively.
    Frankly, for that kind of adjustment I prefer it be done as an adjustment layer to my tiff instead of the raw, but YMMV...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And BTW, the new advanced NOISE tool is excellent
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    And BTW, the new advanced NOISE tool is excellent
    I like that one, too.
    I'd prefer a more sensitve adjustment for the "surface" NR as at higher values it works actually as regular luminance NR. However it's a nice tool!
    My favorite of the new tools is the inversed color edit :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, FYI we can't do LCC corrections with our Leaf backs in Capture One, it is a Phase only correction. Just in case you did not know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I like that one, too.
    I'd prefer a more sensitve adjustment for the "surface" NR as at higher values it works actually as regular luminance NR. However it's a nice tool!
    My favorite of the new tools is the inversed color edit :-)
    Yep, was just playing around with that one and like it a lot!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Yep, was just playing around with that one and like it a lot!
    yes, it safes us one edit. By now - e.g. to desaturate everything but a single color - you had to make one edit for global saturation decrease and a second edit to counter desaturation for the one color you didn't want to desaturate (as an example). Now that's just a single edit. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ramos View Post
    we can't do LCC corrections with our Leaf backs in Capture One, it is a Phase only correction.
    but only temporarily ?!??

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ramos View Post
    Jim, FYI we can't do LCC corrections with our Leaf backs in Capture One, it is a Phase only correction. Just in case you did not know
    Likely you'll see this sooner than later. Not next week obviously (since they just released a new version) but pretty soon.

DougDolde

It really does have a lot more control for Aptus files than Leaf Capture.

This is an understatement !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 is extremely powerful. I hardly ever use PS except retouching. BTW you can stitch right from C1 it uses PS but starts in C1

Top menu bar go to next to help see the film strip . click bundled scripts and you will see stitch with PS .First select two or more images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So just to go back make all adjustments to one image than copy the adjustments and apply to 2 or more images. This way they all have the same identical traits than stitch right from the raws. pretty dang slick

Send consult fee to Guy. LOL Need new toys.

DougDolde

Yeah that trial is gonna cost me 400 bucks !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Likely you'll see this sooner than later. Not next week obviously (since they just released a new version) but pretty soon.
    any word on overlays?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    any word on overlays?
    Not sure what you mean. Overlay is a powerful tool thats been available for any file for a while now (since version 4.5?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I need some answers . Shot a job tonight with sensor plus ISO 800 and my files are screaming sharp. I have not played much with the beta version but they did something quite nice I believe . The sharpening algorithms have changed for the better. I mean i can't even add clarity to these. Also I noticed my P40+ picked up a new Profile Flash V2 and looking at the P65 it has it also. Something is going on and it's not bad thing. Anyone want to take a shot at explaining it. Check your files because someone cranked up the volume

This is not a complaint

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure what you mean. Overlay is a powerful tool thats been available for any file for a while now (since version 4.5?).
    With the Leaf back, you can load overlay masks onto the back. These can be selected when you're shooting. When you bring the image back into Leaf Capture, it maintains the mask size and position and shows it in LC (it can be removed or moved around in LC post if you want). When I bring the .mos file into C1, that overlay/mask isn't present (although it is in the raw file.. since LC can get to it)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    C1 is extremely powerful. I hardly ever use PS except retouching. BTW you can stitch right from C1 it uses PS but starts in C1

Top menu bar go to next to help see the film strip . click bundled scripts and you will see stitch with PS .First select two or more images
    Sorry for being dense - but how do you get that? I've got two pictures selected, but where do I get the menu for "bundled scripts"? By film strip - do you mean the browser? Thanks in advance.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    By film strip - do you mean the browser?
    here:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Thomas

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PeterL: if you're on windows then you don't have the scripts menu (it relies on AppleScript which is provided at the OS level on a Mac).

JimCollum: Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten that was there. Yes, I would likewise expect details like that to be addressed in the next major update or two. They needed to get the broad strokes in (color, detail, noise reduction, reading compressed files etc) for Leaf files; a few of the "nice touches" of compatibility are not there. I can't promise they will be added, but expect for several improvements specific to Leaf in the next version or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As to the stitching script...
    It's certainly very nice to offer something like that.
    However Photoshops merger mostly works better in "reposition" mode (instead of "auto" mode). At least this goes for my setup.
    "Auto" may transform the images (i.e. it includes interpolation), "reposition" only arranges and stitches them.
    Too, if you use the Alpa Lens Corrector you want the captures without any transformation to work accurate. With Alpa Lens Corrector you can first correct the single captures and stitch them afterwards. Or you can first stitch them and do the lens correction on the stitched image afterwards - but in both cases you have to preserve the original proportions of the captures... and "auto" doesn't do that (at least it doesn't in any case).
    Last edited by thomas; 25th February 2010 at 05:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree re CS stitching. Frankly, I find AutoPano superior and worth the price if you do more than a few merges per year...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Thomas. Now I understand.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    As to the stitching script...
    It's certainly very nice to offer something like that.
    However Photoshops merger mostly works better in "reposition" mode (instead of "auto" mode). At least this goes for my setup.
    "Auto" may transform the images (i.e. it includes interpolation), "reposition" only arranges and stitches them.
    Too, if you use the Alpa Lens Corrector you want the captures without any transformation to work accurate. With Alpa Lens Corrector you can first correct the single captures and stitch them afterwards. Or you can first stitch them and do the lens correction on the stitched image afterwards - but in both cases you have to preserve the original proportions of the captures... and "auto" doesn't do that (at least it doesn't in any case).
    Hi Thomas,

The stitching script was written with the Flex Adapter in mind, so it is designed to handle flat stitches only, that are mostly created carefully in the studio.
    For frames that are "nearly" where they should be (plain, perspective and XY position, "Auto" seems to be doing a better job, at least when one want a simple automatic process.

Cheers
    yair

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Thomas,

The stitching script was written with the Flex Adapter in mind, so it is designed to handle flat stitches only, that are mostly created carefully in the studio.
    For frames that are "nearly" where they should be (plain, perspective and XY position, "Auto" seems to be doing a better job, at least when one want a simple automatic process.

Cheers
    yair
    Hi Yair,

I was referring to that kind of stitching, i.e. stitching of captures from the sensor moved around inside the image circle of a large format lens.
    You are right: "auto" is better for an automatic process. However it may degrade IQ due to interpolation and a tool like Alpa Lens Corrector won't work really accurate when the compostion was stitched in "auto" mode (not necessarily, but it can happen).

Best Regards,
    Thomas