Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: CFV back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: CFV back

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    that seems a bit out of line. many reputable sellers on ebay have them now for 2200 to 2900 in 'buynow'. However, 4200 is a good price if it is the IF (one going for 4600 now)
    Just looking at the pictures of Guy lens, it looked like it was the one with IF focus. There seemed to be a second ring for near focus settings.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...89&postcount=4

Robert

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,

I just sold my 180 CFE for $1800... like new condition. You shouldn't have to pay more than that.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Just looking at the pictures of Guy lens, it looked like it was the one with IF focus. There seemed to be a second ring for near focus settings.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...89&postcount=4

Robert
    the earlier versions of CF and CFE that were FLE had a second focus ring for range as others 50mm etc

the last version was called "CFE IF 40mm Hasselblad" and did not have the second ring as it had internal connections It is also a bit bigger that the previous CFE I believe.
    4200 seems high, though some prefer the non IF (even though it IS internal focus, it doesnt have the designation) as the earlier version did not have the resolution but also did not have as much distortion.

The story is that zeiss wanted to design a lens with the highest possible resolution for digital sensors, and sacrificed to that end. Others claim they cant see distortion or it is well behaved and easily taken out.

The lens sells higher than the non IF simply because it is newer and was higher priced originally (I actually bought mine from Zeiss as a 'show demo' but it came with full factory warranty. as it turned out, it was sealed in the box since they never needed it. I think it is a way to get 10-20 lenses out there at attractive prices and then create some buzz.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Ouch he better be giving me a good credit for it. LOL

Yea i was trying to help ya there buddy when I offered it to you .
    Guy

In fairness to Sean, I think the lens he was quoting me was a mint 40 CFE if which is a very new design. Apparently some love it and some hate it for distortion. Your lens I have now inquired about as it is not IF (I believe) and thus should have a price closer to $2500 than $4200. We'll see.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor

Thanks for all your help sorting through this MF stuff. I am trying to diligently do the research on lenses etc as mistakes are very costly indeed.

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Woody,

I just sold my 180 CFE for $1800... like new condition. You shouldn't have to pay more than that.

David
    Arrrrrrg. I want a 180CFE for my Hassey H3D-II/39 with the CF adapter. I have the CFi version which is optically identical except for the e-contacts I need to auto sync with the H camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    thks

by the way, just looked at the shot for the first time on my calibrated monitor where is looks too red. have to calibrate that mac, where i process infrequently
    Looks good to me ... I like the overall color. Really rich.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Arrrrrrg. I want a 180CFE for my Hassey H3D-II/39 with the CF adapter. I have the CFi version which is optically identical except for the e-contacts I need to auto sync with the H camera.
    Marc,

It was posted for sale right here on the Gear for Sale forum. Got mine from KEH, they do pop up from time to time.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Victor

Thanks for all your help sorting through this MF stuff. I am trying to diligently do the research on lenses etc as mistakes are very costly indeed.

Woody
    Trying to do your own research is admirable but it is not an easy task. How many of us have the luxury of owning, say, the Hassy 40mm in both CE and CE IF versions so that we can compare them. I cannot imagine how many hours our friend Son puts into these lens tests. Truly, you would have no time to shoot I've been fortunate to have Chuck Jones and Son to guide me on this path, both in back and lens selections. There are many members here far more experienced than you and I. Seek their advice and use your own best judgment about what's important to you.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

In fairness to Sean, I think the lens he was quoting me was a mint 40 CFE if which is a very new design. Apparently some love it and some hate it for distortion. Your lens I have now inquired about as it is not IF (I believe) and thus should have a price closer to $2500 than $4200. We'll see.

Woody
    Guy

Woody
    Well I never said it was a 4200 dollar lens either. they go as high as 2900 and as low as 2400 . Believe me Sean is extremely fair with me and has also been very generous on my purchases, i bought my ZD from him and almost all of my gear. Whatever he gives me is fine and i actually have no clue . I just told him what i wanted and he said done and i may have some store credit. i just spent over 12k with him and others as well when we were there in Carmel. Great dealer and great friend to me. He threw a cocktail party for the workshop attendees.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

Woody
    woody
    that would be a very good price for the CFE IF. They are 4600+ now for used, and are (were) over $5,000 new. They are discontinued I believe

check the photonet HB links for this lens. Lots of opinions and a few facts but the distortion is overstated, as is the extra resolution. If it weren't for the great price I likely would have gotten the non IF for a few thousand less.....
    .....................................NAH, I don't believe that any more than you do. I would have hocked something for the IF. The images are spectacular (as special as the 21mm is in 135 format.

The 40mm is a candidate for the sharpest lens even built by HB (along with, let's see, 180mm, the 250mm SA, and... well I guess it is down to those three, at least in the HB V world.

Anyway, whatever you get you will not be diappointed. the 40mm has been consistently a great performer.

regards
    Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You left out the 100/3.5 Victor. Virtually distotion free, with resolving power so high it's used for scientific applications.

Woody, you can get caught up in micro debates concerning these lenses, when in fact they are all spectacular performers, and the differences are difficult to detect in real world applications.

Yes, there are some that do stand out a bit more than others. However IMO, and depending on application, it would be better to have the versatility of 2 different focal lengths than one lens at twice the price. If you were shooting a 39 meg Multi-Shot digital back the 40IF might help, but with the CFV or film it'll be hard to detect any real world difference ... it'll be there, but it is not a quantum leap in IQ.

I know I'll get flamed for providing a voice of reason ... but what the heck ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    You left out the 100/3.5 Victor. Virtually distotion free, with resolving power so high it's used for scientific applications.

I know I'll get flamed for providing a voice of reason ... but what the heck ...
    yes, good point, however, I was just talking about the 40mm versions WRT price.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another shot from that weird bowl room

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mark:

anyway to tell the current battery charge status on the CFV back?
    i have a twin charger with a dubious readout: one battery shows no led lit on the charger (that is supposed to mean "end"), one shows blinking red after an hour (supposed to mean 98% full) and one shows constant red after an hour, (charging) though it did start to blink briefly
    charger is the sunpak picture plus, twin v102; is this a good unit?
    thankx
    jm

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

marc:

hoping you see this about batteries

thanks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mark:

anyway to tell the current battery charge status on the CFV back?
    i have a twin charger with a dubious readout: one battery shows no led lit on the charger (that is supposed to mean "end"), one shows blinking red after an hour (supposed to mean 98% full) and one shows constant red after an hour, (charging) though it did start to blink briefly
    charger is the sunpak picture plus, twin v102; is this a good unit?
    thankx
    jm
    Check out this one from Sony.

Quick, full info including hours/minutes, trickel charge. Get the Sony battery while you're at it.
    Last edited by fotografz; 7th June 2008 at 05:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CFV back + Planar T* 2.8/80
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SWC - circa 1967 non T* lens with CFV. The building is the EMP (Experience Music Project) in Seattle. It was designed by Frank Gheary and is covered in dichroic metal panels that change based on the incident light.
    Last edited by atanabe; 28th January 2011 at 18:46.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    SWC - circa 1967 non T* lens with CFV. The building is the EMP (Experience Music Project) in Seattle. It was designed by Frank Gheary and is covered in dichroic metal panels that change based on the incident light.
    Too cool!

thsinar

from the same Frank Gehry, here:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com...?t=5091&page=4

Thierry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

woody
    that would be a very good price for the CFE IF. They are 4600+ now for used, and are (were) over $5,000 new. They are discontinued I believe

check the photonet HB links for this lens. Lots of opinions and a few facts but the distortion is overstated, as is the extra resolution. If it weren't for the great price I likely would have gotten the non IF for a few thousand less.....
    .....................................NAH, I don't believe that any more than you do. I would have hocked something for the IF. The images are spectacular (as special as the 21mm is in 135 format.

The 40mm is a candidate for the sharpest lens even built by HB (along with, let's see, 180mm, the 250mm SA, and... well I guess it is down to those three, at least in the HB V world.

Anyway, whatever you get you will not be diappointed. the 40mm has been consistently a great performer.

regards
    Victor
    Well Victor

Not sure I am sane (actually pretty sure I am not!!!LOL) but I just traded my 15 Elmarit for the 40 4.0 IF. At the very least I will have a very wide for my CWD that rivals my ultra wide for 135 format. We'll see right

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting trade Woody... let us know how you like the 40 CFE IF. I had it for a while but no longer.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Trying to do your own research is admirable but it is not an easy task. How many of us have the luxury of owning, say, the Hassy 40mm in both CE and CE IF versions so that we can compare them. I cannot imagine how many hours our friend Son puts into these lens tests. Truly, you would have no time to shoot I've been fortunate to have Chuck Jones and Son to guide me on this path, both in back and lens selections. There are many members here far more experienced than you and I. Seek their advice and use your own best judgment about what's important to you.
    Good advice.

Woody, if you did get the 40IF, think of it this way ... if there is any slight distortion it's easy to correct in a number of post programs including PSCS3, on the other hand increased resolution can't be added in post : -)

Post Thanks / Like

Well Victor

Not sure I am sane (actually pretty sure I am not!!!LOL) but I just traded my 15 Elmarit for the 40 4.0 IF. At the very least I will have a very wide for my CWD that rivals my ultra wide for 135 format. We'll see right

Woody
    depending on condition, seems reasonable. I may have thought the 15 was closer to 5k but maybe that was new. was the 15mm the ASPH? lists differ by almost 3k

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

depending on condition, seems reasonable. I may have thought the 15 was closer to 5k but maybe that was new. was the 15mm the ASPH? lists differ by almost 3k
    Yes it is the 15 Elmarit Asph

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

finally got out to shoot in the Yard again...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    They look fantastic. Nice work and a great testimonial for the CFV.

Do you have to use Flexcolor or will Adobe Camera Raw read the raw files?
    Doug, you can either use Flexcolor or Phocus to read the files and process ... or use Flex/Phocus to do a quick DNG conversion of any selected file or group of files ... and use Lightroom/PSCS3 or any processor that reads DNGs.

Recently Aperture included Hasselblad 3F RAW as a directly supported file format. Hopefully, Adobe will eventually do the same.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

had a very productive weekend in the Yard

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frogman at Navy Yard

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John, another nice set of images. I'm going to have to join you down there one day.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

charlie, let's hook up sometime.

another image, let's see if the srgb conversion holds the delicate color in the original...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sandblaster

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

more this weekend shots

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

more this weekend shots
    John, if I may comment ... it appears you are losing highlight detail on some of these later shots. I noticed it on the last set also.

I know from direct experience that the CFV files are robust enough to expose for the highlight detail and lift the shadow areas in Flexcolor or Phocus during post.

If you are using Flexcolor, there is another thing you can do to hold the highlight detail ... in the Flexcolor Histogram there are the usual bottom sliders for adjusting tonal values, but there is also a slider on the right side where you can introduce a bit more tone in the highlight areas.

Just a thought.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

please do comment; i'll happily take all the advice I can get.
    in most of the last shots, i overexposed unintentionally, thought i was spot metering on a mid range tone and was not accurately checking the histogram.
    these were run in Phocus, by the way, much preferred to Flexcolor, though i have to do the work on my laptop. Hasselblad replied to me that mid may they will end the beta and also release the PC version. in the meantime, i'm going to focus on correct exposure

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another shot

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a couple more where i am more confident about the basic exposure
    also used Jack;s action for web, finally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John

I don't think you will see a Canon 1DsMkIII with this level of image quality. Guy is right............the lowest resolution MFDB beats the pants off the best 35mm sensors. However as we all know there are advantages of the CMOS sensors for the latest generation 35mm DSLR's that provide serious advantages for the low light or sport shooters. MF can't compete here (yet!)

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very true Woody very true but have to say you can get to ISO 800 very clean and ISO 1600 is nothing to sneeze at but 6400 ISO is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way off for MF. But after testing these beasts which BTW are no bigger than the D3 almost the file quality just is at a level above any 35mm files out there it is really hard to ignore for long. I am sitting here going nuts waiting till the end of the week to get mine delivered. Lance I NEED instant gratification. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

from today

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

one more
    all shot with the 40mm FLE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John, these look very good. Wonderfully rich colors (DMR like in their appearance).

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I could not agree more Kurt. The files from this back are exceptional and with small white balance preset the colors are rich and spot on. I am just loving mine although for hand holding the Hassy 503/CFV takes some getting used to. Been a long time since I shot with one and it is taking some work to get it to be my newest best friend.

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this morning, new prop:

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

colors in the yard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This back has some pop to it

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

more from the yard; these ought to brighten up a 95 degree and muggy day in NYC. I am simply amazed at the colors from this rig
    Last edited by jlm; 7th June 2008 at 10:23.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images