The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV back

bensonga

Outstanding images guys!

Jurgen....amazing detail in this shot above. Which lens?

John.....I love the photo of the ship taken with the Horseman. How long does it take to setup and shoot the 3x3 images with the Horseman for a shot like that? Could you explain a bit about your process of setting up the camera, back, viewfinder etc from start to finish for me? I see you've still got the camera for sale.

I'm afraid my photo trip to Dawson was pretty much a wash out...nothing from the CFV to show here. Mostly cold and rainy weather....not the kind of weather I wanted to take the CFV out into.

Gary

John...very nice image of the ship taken with the Horseman

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Outstanding images guys!

Jurgen....amazing detail in this shot above. Which lens?

John.....I love the photo of the ship taken with the Horseman. How long does it take to setup and shoot the 3x3 images with the Horseman for a shot like that? Could you explain a bit about your process of setting up the camera, back, viewfinder etc from start to finish for me? I see you've still got the camera for sale.

I'm afraid my photo trip to Dawson was pretty much a wash out...nothing from the CFV to show here. Mostly cold and rainy weather....not the kind of weather I wanted to take the CFV out into.

Gary

John...very nice image of the ship taken with the Horseman

Gary

The shooting on the junkyard was a bit of a sad story , which I do not want to describe in detail .
I had about 120 shots on my CFV , which could not be offloaded .
I could see the little JPGs but that was it . So the CFV went to Sweden but the HASSELBLAD technicians could not offload the images either .
Therefore I repeated the shooting a week later , using KODAK E100VS film with HASSELBAD 501CM and various lenses .
The image you are refering to , was taken with my FUJIGW690III + EBC FUJINON 3,5/90mm , scanned by a prolab , and then cropped to square to fit my JUNKYARD calendar design .
So it is a little bit of cheat in this thread , but the intention was to shoot with the CFV .
I have a junkyard album in the other forum .

Jürgen

jlm

Workshop Member
for the first shot; i composed through the external viewer, already having an idea of where the image borders would lie with respect to the viewer mask. Horseman is in the center, no shifts. then 5mm (first clidk stop) shifts x and z, hit shutter, then repeat shifting through one row at a time. takes about a minute to do 9 frames.

in C1 process one image for white balance and exposure, the apply same to the other 8. In C4, open all files (tif) and run Photomerge, take less than a minute to create the merged file.

for the second shot with 10mm shift, i took the time to put on the ground glass adapter and shifted to the corner shots to get the framing right (not using viewer) then put on the CFV and shot away.

the advantage to shift stitching, compared to pano rotations, is that you can control perspective.

the horseman, V-back, V-grtoundglass and 35mm Rodenstock apo-sironar with the 9 micron CFV is the perfect combo

jotloob

Subscriber Member
John

Thank you very much for your valuable contribution .

Altough I knew about this technique , I never really thought of using it .
I don't know why .
I assume , you used this stitching technique , because you could not get the required space (distance) to cover the object for shooting .
If this is true , it does on the other side mean , that this stitching "enlarges" the angle of view for your CFV + lens .

I have an ARCASWISS 4x5/6x9 F-LINE METRIC camera and the very same lens , which I used , up to now , for testing purposes only .
The image circle for that lens allows a shift of a total of 31mm , horizontal/vertical for the CFV sensor .

This would allow you to do a shift of say 15mm in one direction , not regarding a required overlap .

An interesting thing for me would be the sequence of shots .
Starting left top to left right , then second row left to right and bottom left to right ? ? ?

What is the sequence to enter into PSCSx merge ? ? ?

And an other question is : what do you mean by C1 and C4 ? ? ?

Regards Jürgen

jlm

Workshop Member
i was down in the dry dock as far back as i could get, and yes the stitching not only achieves an extra wide FOV, but limits the wide angle distortion to the taking lens, usually better than the a resultant wide angle lens would give. you also get a bigger file with more pixels

out of habit, i shoot upper left and move to the right, down and shift left, down and shift right.

C1 is capture one, the raw processor, C4 is latest photoshop.

i use merge by opening all the images, select photomerge under the file/automate menu, then use open files. no need to sequence the images in any way.

there are a few options on the merge. i use the first one, again out of habit

jotloob

Subscriber Member
i was down in the dry dock as far back as i could get, and yes the stitching not only achieves an extra wide FOV, but limits the wide angle distortion to the taking lens, usually better than the a resultant wide angle lens would give. you also get a bigger file with more pixels

out of habit, i shoot upper left and move to the right, down and shift left, down and shift right.

C1 is capture one, the raw processor, C4 is latest photoshop.

i use merge by opening all the images, select photomerge under the file/automate menu, then use open files. no need to sequence the images in any way.

there are a few options on the merge. i use the first one, again out of habit

Thank you John for your feedback .

I have done some extensive tests today with the APO-SIRONAR DIGITAL 35mm and found , that I might have to use a center filter , because the "corner" images showed some remarkable darkness when using the 10mm shift , horizontal and vertical , 3x3 images stitch as you described .

The results show very dynamic images .
I will do some more tests on the weekend .

Jürgen