Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CFV back

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CFV back

any advice?

CFV back on 205TCC is giving problems powering up. with any of the three batteries, i get a brief flash red of the ready light, then the led blinks dimly, then the ready light goes orange and then out. same with all three batteries and with them all recharged. back worked with batteries last week and yesterday!

back works fine tethered to mac.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: CFV back

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    any advice?

CFV back on 205TCC is giving problems powering up. with any of the three batteries, i get a brief flash red of the ready light, then the led blinks dimly, then the ready light goes orange and then out. same with all three batteries and with them all recharged. back worked with batteries last week and yesterday!

back works fine tethered to mac.
    Clean and inspect the contacts on the back, If 3 different freshly recharged batteries don't work it's gotta be the back (or all three batteries need re-conditioning) ... either the contacts on the back are dirty, or the connections are suspect. That it works with Firewire means that power path is okay and the digital back works.

Try hooking up the firewire with the battery in place, fire it up, then remove the firewire and see if the back stays on.

BTW, did you install the new firmware recently?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

problem solved. I had installed the newest firmware. seems i wasn't holding the on button on long enough!

thanks mark

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

problem solved. I had installed the newest firmware. seems i wasn't holding the on button on long enough!

thanks mark
    You're welcome Jim. Ask any CFV question, I'll try to help if I can. Great digital back BTW.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

first day out in the "hood", that is the Navy Yard, where I work. images right from the card need a lot of color correction...they look greenish and wrong temp, though i am shooting in daylight and have the back set at daylight??? using flexcolor, newest version. here are a couple showing the funk of the yard and an active job in a dry dock

all 80mm FE

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

one more, i love that dry dock, it has been in service since 1880

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great series John, congrats!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice work Jim. That back combinded with those lenses is something else ... a marriage made in heaven.

Woody needs to see these. He just bought a Hassey from me and is looking for a digital back eventually.

DougDolde

They look fantastic. Nice work and a great testimonial for the CFV.

Do you have to use Flexcolor or will Adobe Camera Raw read the raw files?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not that it matters but does anyone know who makes the sensor for the CFV?

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Nice work Jim. That back combinded with those lenses is something else ... a marriage made in heaven.

Woody needs to see these. He just bought a Hassey from me and is looking for a digital back eventually.
    Jeez thanks Marc

And to think that I have yet to put a roll of Velvia through this puppy (will do today though) and already you have me looking at another $10K to go digital with the V series.

Woody

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice John and what a great location.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a couple more...i was having fun. quite a few creepy spots out here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody: FWIW This is Sean at camera west's auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250238509802
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man that looks sweet
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Not that it matters but does anyone know who makes the sensor for the CFV?

Woody
    Kodak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Woody: FWIW This is Sean at camera west's auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250238509802
    Thanks Jack

Wish I had seen this while it was still up for bid. This is less than the price of the back alone. Maybe Sean withdrew the item because of the low bids. In any event I will give him a call to see what he has in the way of a back as I obviously don't need the body.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Kodak.
    Thanks Marc..........I thought so.

I am getting along fine with the camera so far. It took a bit of work to figure out how all the buttons worked on the lenses though. I didn't realize that the DOF button as they call it could be locked and of course when locked the viewfinder dimmed as the aperture lever was moved. I finally figured out how to unlock it and now everything is o.k. Couple of other idiosyncrasies but once figured out it really is a simple camera. Hasselblad just needs a users manual that has the info one needs! Thanks to you for being my manual. You are great.

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a couple of things i have discovered, might not be obvious:
    a shade is handy if you are trying to see much in the LCD in bright light;
    i may add some sort of shaded mask (like the crop screen in PS) in the viewfinder to match the 4x4 format
    flexcolor can be downloaded for free as long as you give the your back ser. #
    when tethered, FC will also load the latest firmware onto your back
    don't expect the shots to look their best in the FC viewer, even after exposure, B and C, sat (i don't sharpen in FC). CS3 will finish them off fine
    firewire tether to the macbook pro also supplies power to the back, you can leave the battery in your bag
    sony ilink may work, but it will not supply power, as it is only two wire
    FC is slow to process your .rrr file compared to C1 and M8 files, must be the bigger size?
    a few questions?
    do .rrr files have to be processed in FC, or will C! or CR or LR do it?
    what is the point of Fc changing .rrr files to .dng?
    I have to dig more into FC, but can you batch WB, for example?
    is it possible to load a camera profile into FC that automatically sets a few things?

thx

jm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JM:

I only use Flexcolor with my DMR ocassionally but I think you can do what you want to do.

With Flexcolor, you can save your settings as a setup. Open an image, make the adjustments you like and use file/setup and click on new to create a named setup.

You can apply this setup in the thumbnail view by selecting the thumbnails you want to modify and select the modify button. A window will open which will allow you to apply this setup.

I think you can also use the setups when shooting tethered.

BTW, in regards to your color issues, try selecting highlight or shadow cast remove or both. It is under file setup and the auto tab.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great series Jim. You corrected the color very well in my opinion. I am impressed with your results. The images have a depth to them that is apparent even in the small web jpgs. Al Tanabe got into the CFV back last year and tried to explain to me just how good it is, but I didn't get it. I am starting to get it and I am hiding the debit card.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack

Wish I had seen this while it was still up for bid. This is less than the price of the back alone. Maybe Sean withdrew the item because of the low bids. In any event I will give him a call to see what he has in the way of a back as I obviously don't need the body.

Woody
    Woody, if the unit is still available I seriously doubt he'll sell just the back.

Like your "Yellow Bird", the 503CWD is a matching special edition camera/back ... in this case specifically made to celebrate Victor Hasselblad's anniversary. 500 units were made and the camera is now out of production.

The CFV back alone is still available, and as an entry level back occassionally comes up F/S used ... as people move to higher meg full 645 sensor backs.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a couple of things i have discovered, might not be obvious:

a shade is handy if you are trying to see much in the LCD in bright light;
    There are a number of items sold for this purpose. One I use is from Hoodman called the Hoodloupe ... a black rubberize loupe you can hang around your neck.

i may add some sort of shaded mask (like the crop screen in PS) in the viewfinder to match the 4x4 format
    There should have been a new focusing screen included with the CFV kit to install in your Hasselblad camera that has the crop area clearly etched in. If you have that, and still want the area outside the etched area blocked out, there are a number of plastic versions available to insert in the viewfinder that were/are used for other 16 meg square backs. Ask a dealer

flexcolor can be downloaded for free as long as you give the your back ser. #
    when tethered, FC will also load the latest firmware onto your back
    don't expect the shots to look their best in the FC viewer, even after exposure, B and C, sat (i don't sharpen in FC). CS3 will finish them off fine
    One of the drawbacks of Flexcolor was the low res. large preview. As a registered owner you can now download the new Phocus beta software which is a whole new ball game. Very similar to Lightroom while retaining all the same advantages of Flexcolor. You need to leave Flexcolor on your machine as Phocus draws on it for some things like color profiles

firewire tether to the macbook pro also supplies power to the back, you can leave the battery in your bag
    This is true for desktop towers, but not lap tops. For lap tops you can get a Firewire 800 repeater with a separate power source from a place like Granite Digital. To shoot to a laptop in the field you'll need the battery. Hasselblad also makes a Image Bank that works with all of it's FW800 backs including the CFV. It holds 1000+ images and uses the same battery as the CFV does. It powers the back when connected.

sony ilink may work, but it will not supply power, as it is only two wire
    FC is slow to process your .rrr file compared to C1 and M8 files, must be the bigger size?
    Phocus is much faster, and will be even faster once the full version is optimized and released out of beta testing.

a few questions?
    do .rrr files have to be processed in FC, or will C! or CR or LR do it?
    Yes, you have to initially open CFV images in Flexcolor or Phocus. At that point you have the option to convert all images to DNGs and save them to a separate folder. This process is very fast.

what is the point of Fc changing .rrr files to .dng?
    To be able to edit in other software that supports the DNG file format like Lightroom or PSCS3. I use Flexcolor or Phocus for commercial work and when tethered shooting to the computer screen, but when shooting weddings where I'm using multiple cameras, I convert the Hasselblad files into DNGs and drop them in the same folder with files from all the other cameras then sort by time shot. This organizes all the shots into a story flow as it happened regardless of which camera was used. Another reason is that other people are more comfortable using things like Lightroom.

I have to dig more into FC, but can you batch WB, for example?
    Yes (see answer provided below.) Plus, when shooting tethered, you can white balance the first shot using a grey card and all the following shots will automatically be corrected.

is it possible to load a camera profile into FC that automatically sets a few things?
    Yes, In the preferences there are options and those options will appear as choices when selecting specifics in Flexcolor

thx

jm
    See my inserted answers in your quote above,

--Marc Williams

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Great series Jim. You corrected the color very well in my opinion. I am impressed with your results. The images have a depth to them that is apparent even in the small web jpgs. Al Tanabe got into the CFV back last year and tried to explain to me just how good it is, but I didn't get it. I am starting to get it and I am hiding the debit card.
    Mark, the CFV an interesting digital back, that for some odd reason that I cannot explain, produces files that are beyond what they should be.

Other backs of the same 16 meg sensor size, or even 22 meg 645 versions with similar pixel sizes (9 microns), just don't look as good right out of the camera ... and still are lacking something even after processing compared to the CFV.

I honestly cannot explain why this is as it defies logic.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Marc..........I thought so.

I am getting along fine with the camera so far. It took a bit of work to figure out how all the buttons worked on the lenses though. I didn't realize that the DOF button as they call it could be locked and of course when locked the viewfinder dimmed as the aperture lever was moved. I finally figured out how to unlock it and now everything is o.k. Couple of other idiosyncrasies but once figured out it really is a simple camera. Hasselblad just needs a users manual that has the info one needs! Thanks to you for being my manual. You are great.

Woody
    Here ya go Woody, some "homework" for you : -)

your 501CM camera manual; info on the meter prism(s) we were talking about ( Hassey meter prisms are very accurate, and I stopped using a hand meter after the prism kept gave the same reading every time); and the extention tubes I recommended for your new 120 Macro :

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/0...032b-500CM.pdf

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/1...A_magazine.PDF

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/0...r_PV_PME51.PDF

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/d...Finder_PME.PDF

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/6...sion_Tubes.PDF

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks, guys.i spent the am reading the FC manual as well.

jm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez John we we have to start reading the manual than the trouble starts . LOL

i actually need to read mine again too. This looks like a nice back to have , glad you are enjoying it and nice to see you take a step up also. Feel like a kid again myself. This is just too much fun. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the combo is what i have been looking for in digital:
    a real GG viewfinder (well, almost) where you can see without squinting
    square format (always my fave)
    blad/zeiss optics and build quality and that unique form factor
    true manual functions...even a spot meter
    image quality
    tethered if needed
    blad support, which seems to have it together compared to you know who
    and if i get a wild hare...i can put the back on a little view camera, o boy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well

I am on the slippery slope thanks to this forum and specifically to Jack for finding me a used 503 CFD anniversary Hassy V. Sean, at Camera West had a second (mint he says and i trust Sean) for sale at $8790 including shipping which is $1K less than the price of a new back alone.

So for landscapes and other slow deliberate shooting, I am now on the V series digital. Got me a couple of lenses (also mint) for less than 1/2 price (50 4.0 and the 120 Makro) so I am set for taking lots of 9 micron pixel pics. Based on what I see from John Milich's work I can't wait to start shooting with this beast. Also having a film body as well from Marc it will be interesting to compare the images in final print form.

Please everyone, wish me well because now I am truly broke!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good luck with it all Woody - I knew you would 'fold' under the pressure! LOL

You will love the IQ you get from this stuff !
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well

I am on the slippery slope thanks to this forum and specifically to Jack for finding me a used 503 CFD anniversary Hassy V. Sean, at Camera West had a second (mint he says and i trust Sean) for sale at $8790 including shipping which is $1K less than the price of a new back alone.

So for landscapes and other slow deliberate shooting, I am now on the V series digital. Got me a couple of lenses (also mint) for less than 1/2 price (50 4.0 and the 120 Makro) so I am set for taking lots of 9 micron pixel pics. Based on what I see from John Milich's work I can't wait to start shooting with this beast. Also having a film body as well from Marc it will be interesting to compare the images in final print form.

Please everyone, wish me well because now I am truly broke!

Woody

Congrats Woody. Your going to be amazed is about all I can say and you think your broke now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Woody!
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Woody!!!

Thank goodness I bought my M8's many months after all you guys. I'm still climbing the mountain and am not yet near the edge of the slippery slope .

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody... best of luck with your new kit you're going to have great fun using it I am sure. Don't worry about being broke... there are several steps beyond broke. When you get to financially pulverized then you can start worrying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have bought so much stuff in this GetDPI place I don't know what to do with it..one day I might sell something just to see what it feels like! LOL

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

son #2, first shot with cfv, by the way all shots are iso 400 so far.
    how do you save a tif for the web on the mac? i did it using the "save for web", but it wanted to make a gif not jpg???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim - use save for web and choose jpeg as your file type ( this is an option ) in the save for web working area..

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Very, very nice. If I keep reading threads like this, I can see one of my motorcycles being sacrificed on the Hasselblad altar in the near future.

Off all the research (oops, uh, um, leisure reading) I've been doing on the CFV, the only functional complaint I've read is that the AWB can tend to give a yellowish cast.

Lets see, 16MP on a sensor 50% larger on the short side (36x36) than my 1Ds2, no AA filter, Zeiss lenses that are readily available used, LARGE focus screen, simple function, body repairable damn near anywhere, oh yeah, come to poppa.

Congrats and keep the 'first impressions' coming.

On the H lenses. I hear you. Spent 1 hr idiotically shooting my 110/2 (on my 1Ds2) at what I thought were a number of apertures - until I remembered that little aperture 'preset' button. The 110/2 takes sweet shots wide open BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John: You can also use try web action I gave you in Moab. Does a bit more than the save for web in CS...
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thks

by the way, just looked at the shot for the first time on my calibrated monitor where is looks too red. have to calibrate that mac, where i process infrequently

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Congrats Woody. Your going to be amazed is about all I can say and you think your broke now.
    Guy

You have no idea! I am looking at a 40 CFE and a 180 CFE at a grand total of almost $7K. These lenses are nothing if not expensive! But you only live once (although 007 wanted to live twice) and if the files are as everyone has told me, my landscapes are about to come to 3D life like never before. So M8 for travel, D3 for AF, grandkids, sports etc and Hassy for the prints you love to touch.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    John: You can also use try web action I gave you in Moab. Does a bit more than the save for web in CS...
    Jack

That web action alone has saved me enough time to justify the cost of the workshop

Thanks

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody I traded my Hassy 40mm to Sean at Camera West he just got it today , so there is one there. i got several Mamiya lenses for it coming. Damn Hassy stuff does hurt but it is nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody I traded my Hassy 40mm to Sean at Camera West he just got it today , so there is one there. i got several Mamiya lenses for it coming. Damn Hassy stuff does hurt but it is nice
    Wish I had caught it at your price Guy. Sean is asking $4200 for it!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

You have no idea! I am looking at a 40 CFE and a 180 CFE at a grand total of almost $7K. These lenses are nothing if not expensive! But you only live once (although 007 wanted to live twice) and if the files are as everyone has told me, my landscapes are about to come to 3D life like never before. So M8 for travel, D3 for AF, grandkids, sports etc and Hassy for the prints you love to touch.

Woody
    Woody,
    You may want to look at the older versions of the 40 and 180, the CFE lenses have electrical contacts for use with the 200 series focal plane bodies. These contacts have no use on the 500 series bodies, optically they are the same as the last version CFi (180) and FLE (40), good copies of the 180 CFi are about $1400-$1500, Guy's 40 was priced under market value, which normally is $2500 for that version.
    Another option for wide angle work is a SWC (38mm Biogon) which comes in several flavors, early; SWC, SWC/M, mid; SWCM T*(Multicoated), late; 905. This makes a sweet walkaround outfit and much lighter than the 40mm. If you get an early model SWC like mine, you need to have the tripod plate shimmed from the body by 1mm to clear the "L" battery connector.

Enjoy your new setup and welcome to the slippery slope!

Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody
    Ouch he better be giving me a good credit for it. LOL

Yea i was trying to help ya there buddy when I offered it to you .

Post Thanks / Like

not to further confuse the issue but ther are IF versions of the 40mm that some consider spectacular, and others think have too much distortion. However, if you REALLY want to take it to that level, it will cost you a few grand more;

but hey, it's only money

Victor
    see it here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hasselblad-CFE...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by gogopix; 23rd April 2008 at 13:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Woody,
    You may want to look at the older versions of the 40 and 180, the CFE lenses have electrical contacts for use with the 200 series focal plane bodies. These contacts have no use on the 500 series bodies, optically they are the same as the last version CFi (180) and FLE (40), good copies of the 180 CFi are about $1400-$1500, Guy's 40 was priced under market value, which normally is $2500 for that version.
    Another option for wide angle work is a SWC (38mm Biogon) which comes in several flavors, early; SWC, SWC/M, mid; SWCM T*(Multicoated), late; 905. This makes a sweet walkaround outfit and much lighter than the 40mm. If you get an early model SWC like mine, you need to have the tripod plate shimmed from the body by 1mm to clear the "L" battery connector.

Enjoy your new setup and welcome to the slippery slope!

Al
    Al

Nice to hear from you on this and thanks for the advice. I am planning on acquiring a 203 sometime in the near future which is why I want to get the CFE lens. However the SWC is an option I hadn't considered but certainly should.

Again thanks

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ouch he better be giving me a good credit for it. LOL

Yea i was trying to help ya there buddy when I offered it to you .
    Well no one ever said i was smart!!LOL

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Woody
    that seems a bit out of line. many reputable sellers on ebay have them now for 2200 to 2900 in 'buynow'. However, 4200 is a good price if it is the IF (one going for 4600 now)