The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can the H4D 40 replace an A900

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Going faster than 1.25 seconds per image. But that would be about all. Flash still needs to recycle that fast anyway. i should add to get that fast recycle you need a good high ISO cam to do it since less power on output of flash.

kdphotography

DSLRs for weddings---you have a better range of lenses than in MF. For Marc's images above, a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS makes for short work easily with the zoom. I don't have anything in my MF gear-slut closet that I'd feel comfortable using in this type of situation (weddings) on a consistent basis. The Phase 75-150 D is good, but not nearly as good as the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 here; and for action shots, my short little legs can't shuffle back and forth that quickly using fast medium format primes like the 150mm D.... :D

jlm

Workshop Member
you could crop a 40m image quite a bit and compensate for the lack of zoom compared to a 20m image

kdphotography

you could crop a 40m image quite a bit and compensate for the lack of zoom compared to a 20m image
True. But there comes a point when you're "working too hard" just to make an image work.

For the occasional need, the new flexibility/capabilities (AF speed/higher iso) of recent MFDB technology is great. But if doing a lot of wedding work, fast paced receptions with sweaty wrestling bridesmaids, I'd still reach first for the 1DS Mark III.....

:D

fotografz

what would have prevented getting those shots with the H 40?
Actually I'm not sure it couldn't ... but it was a Nikon D3 which no MFD can match for AF speed. Plus, it was a 14-24/2.8 zoom: no such animal in MFD land. Maybe would have still had time to just get the whole sequence with a H4D/40, but it's a no-brainer, sure thing for a D3.

D3, manual exposure @ 1/125th, f/5.6 SB900 on camera with a diffuser ... all of which could probably be done with a H4D/40 and a 28/4 and cropping the bigger file ... which I do anyway with the 35mm DSLR shots.

Still, a 35mm DSLR is more suited to this stuff in almost every way.

Now, this proposition isn't new to me ... I've used a H3D/31 and H3D-II/31 at weddings before and for the most part it was fine ... in fact it did excel when the lighting was tough sledding for the 35 DSLRs ... like shooting stuff midday in the open where a white wedding dress gives the 35s fits ... when I know I'll be facing light like that, I prefer MFD.

Like for this shot attached where direct sun challenged the 35 cameras, which tended to blow the dress highlights if we tried to hold any shadow detail at all. Lots more leeway with a MFD in circumstances like this:

-Marc

Available light, H3D/31 ISO 100 @ 1/750th ... HC/100/2.2 @ f/4.6

Paratom

I am sure there are many things where you could make MF work but the question is how hard is it to achive and for what reason.
There are areas where I believe in the advantages of MF but there are also areas where I would rather rely on the fast AF and exp metering and lexibility of DSLRs.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I am sure there are many things where you could make MF work but the question is how hard is it to achive and for what reason.
There are areas where I believe in the advantages of MF but there are also areas where I would rather rely on the fast AF and exp metering and lexibility of DSLRs.
As a wildlife guy, I strongly agree. MF for landscapes for sure, but even with Sensor+ on my P1 DF, the lack of anything beyond 300 mm (great tho' that APO lens is) means I turn to a DSLR for real telephoto work.

Here's what I mean...just can't do this with MFDB.

fotografz

So it all comes down to applications and how much you do in those applications.

I don't mind "stretching" any given format, if it's only once in a while ... which is what Guy's point is I think.

I've shot quite a few commercial "action jobs" with a H3D/31 and 39 and rarely missed a shot. I needed the big files for the end use. Now the H4D sounds even more capable.

But I don't shoot very many sports jobs and virtually no wildlife requiring super teles. 300/4 is my longest MF HC lens (however, I sure can crop in on those files : -) I shoot kids all the time, and the H AF is no problem ... on the other hand, I'm sure not going to use a $30K MFD rig to shoot my little Chi that runs around like a Jackrabbit.

Horses for courses.

-Marc

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

H3DII39 - 300mm + 1.7x (500mm) - manual focus:

With respect, I disagree. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com
Derek,

I stand partly corrected! Let's say that I get many more keepers of wildlife with fast autofocus and 5 fps! And birds in flight....well...

Great foxy face, though!

Best,
Bill

pcunite

I think if your any good you could use any camera system. Just tell your customer that is what you need and they don't care (unless they are a closet photographer). In any event the march of progress will level the playing field on prices to where you will use MFD or 35 based on what you need and not based on price. Discussions and arguments about what people need will be more realistic and believable then.

gogopix

Subscriber
SLR vs MF for wildlife is an interesting topic; but several factors

1. How big! :) (Ahmm; fox vs cardinal?)
2. Portable?
3. Final print size

I have experimented with:
Leica Modular (up to 1600mm) with DMR, P65+ (with sliding back) and even M8!
Contax 350mm and 1.4x with P25 to P65+
Leica 400/6.8 with DMR, Viso-M8 and Pentax K-7
Schneider 300/2 with Hassey adapter and Contax
350mm SA Zeiss with P65+

The most satisfyng yields overall?

fixed; 350mm SA (or Contax) with P65+ unbelievable detail on a tripod with Better beamer flash!
mobile 400mm/6.8 and DMR (though recent experments with K-7.. really neat! stabilized 400mm)

its fun, but Doug just proves one thing; we are ALL focusing on the wrong thing-equipment.
HE can get close enough to tickle their tailfeathers while we are lucky to get into the same county!

Victor

Last edited: