The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another S2 Test

tjv

I'm sorry but this is a pretty bad review, relevant only if you plan to use the camera as an everyday walk around like a basic, low end digi...
Bummer Leica sends it's review cameras to such people when it should be tempting people who actually would use it to its potential.

xpixel

I'm sorry but this is a pretty bad review, relevant only if you plan to use the camera as an everyday walk around like a basic, low end digi...
Bummer Leica sends it's review cameras to such people when it should be tempting people who actually would use it to its potential.
I agree, but maybe such people only will buy an S2... :D

tjv

Yes, I'm sad this is the case. I actually hope such people do buy the camera though because it will help secure Leica a future and further upgrades.
As an aside, this new Hasselblad is looking pretty good value compared to the S2. 20K for body, back and 80mm lens vs a lot more for Leica... Not looking good for the little German company we all know and love.

jonoslack

HI There
Well, although I do see your point, it's becoming clear that a lot of people really like Steve's website and his 'reviews'. I don't think he has pretensions to be anything more than he is.

There are other reviews of the S2 out there, (not least the technical-ish review on this site).

I think there is room for all types, and Steve is entertaining and interesting.

all the best

iiiNelson

Agreed. While not an overly "technical" I found it to be interesting in itself. That said I could see how one would want to see side by side comparisons with the competition. I wouldn't call the review bad because of the lack of the aforementioned that alone though. Steve makes many mentions of his review style and it's consistent throughout all of his reviews. He mentions several times that he has no NEED for a medium format camera but who would turn down the chance to test one out given the opportunity honestly?

Terry

I actually enjoyed this more than what he usually writes. Perhaps that is because I've been using the S2 for the last three days as Leica sent one to our workshop. I am smitten with it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That's a understatement. :D

Have not read Steves's review but I am sure it is more data to learn more about the cam and nothing wrong with that. Another viewpoint, we have plenty of tech data on it.

jonoslack

I actually enjoyed this more than what he usually writes. Perhaps that is because I've been using the S2 for the last three days as Leica sent one to our workshop. I am smitten with it.
Ah . . . I see your avatar has changed again . . . be afraid . . . be very very afraid :ROTFL::ROTFL:

p.s.
I enjoyed Steve's review as well - cheerful, informative and entertaining. Which is what was intended I guess.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tell us more Terry! By which aspects of it are ye verrily smitten?!

jonoslack

HI Tim
Are you back from the far and distant Gulf
Good time had by all?
or are you still sunning it?
all the best

Terry

Tim,
Ergonomics are great for me. I have a harder time holding the Phase gear.
Obviously, the viewfinder is gorgeous... But my A900 also has a really nice finder.
Whole shutter/mirror feels very smooth to me.
Files seem great but tomorrow we will be doing processing so more on that later.

Things that are a little strange...
With focus on the half press I'm conditioned to the camera refocusing each time. The S2 doesn't do this so it is a little disconcerting because you don't know if you've nailed focus. HOWEVER, I have no manual and have no idea of all the settings so I would need to fully understand what I'm doing. We did have focus set up on the back button at one point and I like this as I have my Sony set the same way.

Thank god a I got a heads up on file numbering and putting things in different folders becuase the numbers repeat.

A few of my exposures have seemed a bit wonky on the LCD but the histogram is spot on.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,
Obviously, the viewfinder is gorgeous... But my A900 also has a really nice finder.
Files seem great but tomorrow we will be doing processing so more on that later.

With focus on the half press I'm conditioned to the camera refocusing each time. The S2 doesn't do this so it is a little disconcerting because you don't know if you've nailed focus. HOWEVER, I have no manual and have no idea of all the settings so I would need to fully understand what I'm doing. We did have focus set up on the back button at one point and I like this as I have my Sony set the same way.

Thank god a I got a heads up on file numbering and putting things in different folders becuase the numbers repeat.

A few of my exposures have seemed a bit wonky on the LCD but the histogram is spot on.
Hi Terry,

The focus has been set to MF in the menu system precisely so that the shutter half-press initiates and can lock metering, and the rear button initiates and stops AF. You can change this so it behaves more as you are accustomed to by going into the menu and setting Focus Mode to AF BUT it's better left the way it is!

I'll be really interested to hear what other observations you have on processing some of the files!

Best

Tim

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I actually like this review! Great and out of the real world!

And YES, the truth is that this wonderful camera is far too expensive (at least for me).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Tim,

Terry

this camera looks great with you :D

Think I need to come to one of the next workshops to be able to play with your S2 ;)

Terry

Tim,
I know I need to set it back to Manual but with it set to AF the part that is disconcerting is that it doesn't refocus on every shot with the half press. Not sure why it works that way. I gather the camera knows the focus is still OK and doesn't move the lens. If you move the camera and point at something else that is obviously OOF, it will refocus. If the new spot is very close to the old it doesn't seem to refocus.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Terry,

Does this mean we need to change the order from X1 to S2? :D

Love to see some of your shots.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Tim,
I know I need to set it back to Manual but with it set to AF the part that is disconcerting is that it doesn't refocus on every shot with the half press. Not sure why it works that way. I gather the camera knows the focus is still OK and doesn't move the lens. If you move the camera and point at something else that is obviously OOF, it will refocus. If the new spot is very close to the old it doesn't seem to refocus.
Terry,

I found the exact same behavior puzzling when I first tested the camera back in August (I even wrote an entire paragraph about it in my review). But, upon review of the images in LR, the focus was spot-on. My conclusion was that the S2 doesn't suffer the same spurious AF that Nikons, Canons, and Sonys do. The engineers told me that a lot of emphasis was placed on AF accuracy. At first, it is a little odd, but once you are confident that the camera is achieving good focus consistently, it's all good. :thumbup:

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Terry,

Does this mean we need to change the order from X1 to S2? :D

David
Don't count your chickens.:D

The S2 fits Terry very nicely and she is evaluating it very carefully. She is surrounded by very experienced MF shooters so for her she is learning a great deal. She basically has the S2 to herself so a real good testing phase for her on evaluating her needs. As with all our workshops there is more high end gear here than in many retail stores to try out in real world situations.

Terry, the S2 may not seem as if it is refocusing but it realy is. Unlike my Canon camera, the S2 doesn't seem to move back and forth to achieve focus as much. Also, the sound is very low to non existent on small focus changes so there is no audible sensation that the camera is focusing. You may try a quick test to see what I mean - focus on a subject, take the photo and then refocus on another point at a slightly different distance and take the photo. Compare the photos and you will see both are focused where intended.

I prefer to use the rear button for focusing. FWIW, I have the top left button set for ISO, the bottom left button for exposure compensation, and the bottom right button for drive mode. This arrangement works good for me so far.

Mark

Last edited: