Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Another S2 Test

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Another S2 Test

    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/0...camera-review/


    Maybe someone has a comparison between S2 and H4D-40...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    I'm sorry but this is a pretty bad review, relevant only if you plan to use the camera as an everyday walk around like a basic, low end digi...
    Bummer Leica sends it's review cameras to such people when it should be tempting people who actually would use it to its potential.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a pretty bad review, relevant only if you plan to use the camera as an everyday walk around like a basic, low end digi...
    Bummer Leica sends it's review cameras to such people when it should be tempting people who actually would use it to its potential.
    I agree, but maybe such people only will buy an S2...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Yes, I'm sad this is the case. I actually hope such people do buy the camera though because it will help secure Leica a future and further upgrades.
    As an aside, this new Hasselblad is looking pretty good value compared to the S2. 20K for body, back and 80mm lens vs a lot more for Leica... Not looking good for the little German company we all know and love.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Another S2 Test

    HI There
    Well, although I do see your point, it's becoming clear that a lot of people really like Steve's website and his 'reviews'. I don't think he has pretensions to be anything more than he is.

    There are other reviews of the S2 out there, (not least the technical-ish review on this site).

    I think there is room for all types, and Steve is entertaining and interesting.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Agreed. While not an overly "technical" I found it to be interesting in itself. That said I could see how one would want to see side by side comparisons with the competition. I wouldn't call the review bad because of the lack of the aforementioned that alone though. Steve makes many mentions of his review style and it's consistent throughout all of his reviews. He mentions several times that he has no NEED for a medium format camera but who would turn down the chance to test one out given the opportunity honestly?
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Another S2 Test

    I actually enjoyed this more than what he usually writes. Perhaps that is because I've been using the S2 for the last three days as Leica sent one to our workshop. I am smitten with it.

  8. #8
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Another S2 Test

    That's a understatement.


    Have not read Steves's review but I am sure it is more data to learn more about the cam and nothing wrong with that. Another viewpoint, we have plenty of tech data on it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I actually enjoyed this more than what he usually writes. Perhaps that is because I've been using the S2 for the last three days as Leica sent one to our workshop. I am smitten with it.
    Ah . . . I see your avatar has changed again . . . be afraid . . . be very very afraid


    p.s.
    I enjoyed Steve's review as well - cheerful, informative and entertaining. Which is what was intended I guess.

    Just this guy you know

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I actually enjoyed this more than what he usually writes. Perhaps that is because I've been using the S2 for the last three days as Leica sent one to our workshop. I am smitten with it.
    Tell us more Terry! By which aspects of it are ye verrily smitten?!

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Another S2 Test

    HI Tim
    Are you back from the far and distant Gulf
    Good time had by all?
    or are you still sunning it?
    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Tim,
    Ergonomics are great for me. I have a harder time holding the Phase gear.
    Obviously, the viewfinder is gorgeous... But my A900 also has a really nice finder.
    Whole shutter/mirror feels very smooth to me.
    Files seem great but tomorrow we will be doing processing so more on that later.

    Things that are a little strange...
    With focus on the half press I'm conditioned to the camera refocusing each time. The S2 doesn't do this so it is a little disconcerting because you don't know if you've nailed focus. HOWEVER, I have no manual and have no idea of all the settings so I would need to fully understand what I'm doing. We did have focus set up on the back button at one point and I like this as I have my Sony set the same way.

    Thank god a I got a heads up on file numbering and putting things in different folders becuase the numbers repeat.

    A few of my exposures have seemed a bit wonky on the LCD but the histogram is spot on.

  13. #13
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Tim,
    Ergonomics are great for me. I have a harder time holding the Phase gear.
    Obviously, the viewfinder is gorgeous... But my A900 also has a really nice finder.
    Whole shutter/mirror feels very smooth to me.
    Files seem great but tomorrow we will be doing processing so more on that later.

    Things that are a little strange...
    With focus on the half press I'm conditioned to the camera refocusing each time. The S2 doesn't do this so it is a little disconcerting because you don't know if you've nailed focus. HOWEVER, I have no manual and have no idea of all the settings so I would need to fully understand what I'm doing. We did have focus set up on the back button at one point and I like this as I have my Sony set the same way.

    Thank god a I got a heads up on file numbering and putting things in different folders becuase the numbers repeat.

    A few of my exposures have seemed a bit wonky on the LCD but the histogram is spot on.
    Hi Terry,

    The focus has been set to MF in the menu system precisely so that the shutter half-press initiates and can lock metering, and the rear button initiates and stops AF. You can change this so it behaves more as you are accustomed to by going into the menu and setting Focus Mode to AF BUT it's better left the way it is!

    I'll be really interested to hear what other observations you have on processing some of the files!

    Best

    Tim

  14. #14
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    I actually like this review! Great and out of the real world!

    And YES, the truth is that this wonderful camera is far too expensive (at least for me).

  15. #15
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Tim,
    Ergonomics are great for me. I have a harder time holding the Phase gear.
    Obviously, the viewfinder is gorgeous... But my A900 also has a really nice finder.
    Whole shutter/mirror feels very smooth to me.
    Files seem great but tomorrow we will be doing processing so more on that later.

    Things that are a little strange...
    With focus on the half press I'm conditioned to the camera refocusing each time. The S2 doesn't do this so it is a little disconcerting because you don't know if you've nailed focus. HOWEVER, I have no manual and have no idea of all the settings so I would need to fully understand what I'm doing. We did have focus set up on the back button at one point and I like this as I have my Sony set the same way.

    Thank god a I got a heads up on file numbering and putting things in different folders becuase the numbers repeat.

    A few of my exposures have seemed a bit wonky on the LCD but the histogram is spot on.
    Terry

    this camera looks great with you

    Think I need to come to one of the next workshops to be able to play with your S2

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Tim,
    I know I need to set it back to Manual but with it set to AF the part that is disconcerting is that it doesn't refocus on every shot with the half press. Not sure why it works that way. I gather the camera knows the focus is still OK and doesn't move the lens. If you move the camera and point at something else that is obviously OOF, it will refocus. If the new spot is very close to the old it doesn't seem to refocus.

  17. #17
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I actually enjoyed this more than what he usually writes. Perhaps that is because I've been using the S2 for the last three days as Leica sent one to our workshop. I am smitten with it.
    Terry,

    Does this mean we need to change the order from X1 to S2?

    Love to see some of your shots.

    David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

  18. #18
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Tim,
    I know I need to set it back to Manual but with it set to AF the part that is disconcerting is that it doesn't refocus on every shot with the half press. Not sure why it works that way. I gather the camera knows the focus is still OK and doesn't move the lens. If you move the camera and point at something else that is obviously OOF, it will refocus. If the new spot is very close to the old it doesn't seem to refocus.
    Terry,

    I found the exact same behavior puzzling when I first tested the camera back in August (I even wrote an entire paragraph about it in my review). But, upon review of the images in LR, the focus was spot-on. My conclusion was that the S2 doesn't suffer the same spurious AF that Nikons, Canons, and Sonys do. The engineers told me that a lot of emphasis was placed on AF accuracy. At first, it is a little odd, but once you are confident that the camera is achieving good focus consistently, it's all good.

    David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

  19. #19
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Terry,

    Does this mean we need to change the order from X1 to S2?


    David
    Don't count your chickens.

    The S2 fits Terry very nicely and she is evaluating it very carefully. She is surrounded by very experienced MF shooters so for her she is learning a great deal. She basically has the S2 to herself so a real good testing phase for her on evaluating her needs. As with all our workshops there is more high end gear here than in many retail stores to try out in real world situations.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Terry, the S2 may not seem as if it is refocusing but it realy is. Unlike my Canon camera, the S2 doesn't seem to move back and forth to achieve focus as much. Also, the sound is very low to non existent on small focus changes so there is no audible sensation that the camera is focusing. You may try a quick test to see what I mean - focus on a subject, take the photo and then refocus on another point at a slightly different distance and take the photo. Compare the photos and you will see both are focused where intended.

    I prefer to use the rear button for focusing. FWIW, I have the top left button set for ISO, the bottom left button for exposure compensation, and the bottom right button for drive mode. This arrangement works good for me so far.

    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Gowin; 2nd March 2010 at 12:12. Reason: Correct typo (at least the one I saw)

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Also, the sound is very low to non existent on small focus changes so there is no audible sensation that the camera is focusing.
    Mark
    Exactly,
    They've all been in focus but my brain needs to be retrained to not worry about not hearing it.

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Exactly,
    They've all been in focus but my brain needs to be retrained to not worry about not hearing it.
    Sounds good to me . . . better buy one quick!

    Just this guy you know

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    As with all our workshops there is more high end gear here than in many retail stores to try out in real world situations.
    Guy, so maybe you'll have the opportunity to shoot the S2 with the 70mm at f8 or f11 and at base ISO from tripod (MUP). I'd finally like to see an S2 capture stopped down with sharp edges... I couldn't find one by now.
    Thanks in advance!

  24. #24
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Another S2 Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Tim,
    A few of my exposures have seemed a bit wonky on the LCD but the histogram is spot on.
    Terry, it might be the same or related issue--- several of us at CI in Carmel noticed "weird" images on the Leica S2 LCD---but once downloaded, the image files were fine. Rafa deduced it was a faulty JPEG algorithm which messes up the LCD image, but not the file.... A firmware fix should address that issue.

    Hope you enjoy your S2!


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •