The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aptus II 5 vs Others ?

grappa

Does the Leaf Aptus offer any advantage over the Hassy or Phase backs ?
Is it better at anything in about the same sensor size. Pros and Cons ?
Why did Phase partner with Leaf ?

yaya

Best advice is to try it yourself, but;

Pros (non biased...):

- 6,000 EUR
- Only 22MP back currently in production
- Up to 80 frames/ min, tethered or untethered, no buffering
- Largest touch LCD, only one that produces a true 100% preview from the RAW data and the only one with a fully featured menu system (File/ folder naming, flagging, notes, copyrights etc.
- Tethered and file support in both Leaf Capture and Capture One, file support in most 3rd party apps.
- Excellent Live View performance in tethered mode
- Works great on technical cameras including wide angle solutions
- Easy to use and works solidly on RB/ RZ/ 680/ ETRSi etc.
- low 25 iso useful for some

Pros (biased):
In terms of absolute IQ (sharpness, colour, tonality) the 9µ Dalsa sensor is better than what the (discontinued) Kodak 9µ was.

Cons (for some):

- 32 sec max exposure time
- 400 iso max speed

Test for yourself, if you can.

Yair

PS 6,000 EUR :thumbs:

O

Optechs Digital

Steve Hendrix

I have to say I think the Aptus II 5 is a steal for the right situation.

I no longer sell Hasselblad, so I don't want to offer an opinion there, but compared to a P25+, the Aptus II 5 is a very worthy competitor. Leaf hardware and image quality has always been first rate, with the large LCD screen, and using Dalsa sensors. Now, with Capture One compatibility, a weakness for Leaf (in general) has been turned into a strength.

Both P25+ and Aptus II 5 bring different elements to the table. The P25+ is going to wipe the table with any other 22MP digital back in terms of long exposure. But the Aptus II 5 shoots much faster than any Kodak-based 22MP digital back. Both products differ significantly in the LCD interface and that is a big part of where many will make a decision. The P25+ is simpler, easier and quicker to access common settings like ISO and WB, while the Aptus II 5 offers a larger LCD and more advanced functionality in the interface.

Trying both together would be a good idea.

The synergy between Leaf and Phase One is providing real benefits to end users. While Capture One is now compatible with Leaf Aptus products, more and more of the positive elements of Leaf Capture will find their way into Capture One. For the first time ever with V11.3, those using Leaf Capture now have access to remote control of the Mamiya/Phase One AFD/AF/DF line of cameras. Just a few examples of how this acquisition is benefitting users of both products.

There will be more to come.

Steve Hendrix

Henry Goh

I agree that with Leaf now having access to C1, it has made things very interesting. For example, I have been contemplating upgrading my P30+ to a P40+ but now, I'm thinking I would not mind buying a new Leaf back with the same sensor and using both backs for different kind of work. What I would like to see is someone who has access to both P1 and Leaf backs of the same sensor doing a side-by-side shoot and processing both files in C1 at default. I'm hope to see some subtle differences due to their different tonal curves and color characteristics. If indeed I can see them, it may make owning these 2 backs viable for me. Kind of like having 2 types of films to choose from.