The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D 40 @100 ISO 3 minutes plus

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc,

What monitor you running now? (I ask carefully as I don't want to start any flame wars, but honestly, I am seeing things on my wide-gamut monitor out of the Dalsa sensor I never saw from my Kodak sensor -- and good things... :) )

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually Jack, Bob and I just bought the NEC wide gamut monitors and their is a whole new world out there in our files. Wow maybe not the correct word.

mAlKhamis

Actually Jack, Bob and I just bought the NEC wide gamut monitors and their is a whole new world out there in our files. Wow maybe not the correct word.
is it better than the 27inch imac ?

I just can't wait to join you guys, i'm so over whelmed :cry:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was using a 30" ACD -- and yeah, I know.... But the reality was I was printing to an x800 printer, and knew how to interpret the proof view more than adequately. I am now printing to a 7900 and while it can't hold everything the cameras can capture, it holds enough more I felt the wide-gamut monitor was justified. So it was with that installed, I started to see "more differences" between my P45+ files and my P65+ files.

Now, I have not scientifically analyzed capture profiles from both cameras, so don't want to go too far out on a limb. That caveat stated, I will agree with other folks and say the Dalsa sensor seems more "film like." I think this is due to it rendering a bit more separation and saturation in the lower 1/4 tones, and a bit more separation in the upper 1/8th.

Okay, now that I said it, I can already hear the wood being gathered....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Throw the match , someone must have the lighter fluid around here. LOL

I had the 30 Inch Cinema and it is a great monitor this is just showing all kinds of detail in the shadows that i am pretty dang impressed. Need printer now

thomas

oh, okay.
Yes, im comparison to those displays a wide gamut monitor providing hardware calibration is a totally different viewing experience. Maybe not that much due to the wider gamut but those displays are mostly very good linearized. So the differentation all over the tonal range is much better.
Worthwhile investment - have fun!

tashley

Subscriber Member
I was using a 30" ACD -- and yeah, I know.... But the reality was I was printing to an x800 printer, and knew how to interpret the proof view more than adequately. I am now printing to a 7900 and while it can't hold everything the cameras can capture, it holds enough more I felt the wide-gamut monitor was justified. So it was with that installed, I started to see "more differences" between my P45+ files and my P65+ files.

Now, I have not scientifically analyzed capture profiles from both cameras, so don't want to go too far out on a limb. That caveat stated, I will agree with other folks and say the Dalsa sensor seems more "film like." I think this is due to it rendering a bit more separation and saturation in the lower 1/4 tones, and a bit more separation in the upper 1/8th.

Okay, now that I said it, I can already hear the wood being gathered....
We should do a monitor thread... I just got a 30" Eizo sx3031W and it now runs next to my 30" ACD, and even when both have just been calibrated the Eizo looks too pink and the Apple looks too blue, but for sure the Eizo with 98 odd % of Adobe RGB is showing wonders from the P65+. I really like being able to switch instantly to sRGB too.

As a side note I have rather shamefacedly started to mess about with Nik filters (I soooo hate fun with filters) and the P65+ files can handle these sorts of tweaks really nicely without starting to look fake. This is the top of a verrrry slippery slope me fears...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim,

Interesting comment as both Bob and I noticed the same thing -- ACD was blue after calibrating. What we noted is that if use the Apple default profile things look much better next to the NEC for some reason... (Actually, in the case of the NEC, the LUT is in the monitor itself, so the profile loaded into the system for it is dead linear -- if we load that, we get a very neutral and more similar rendering to the NEC.) Either may be worth a try for you...

thomas

and even when both have just been calibrated the Eizo looks too pink and the Apple looks too blue
this behavior is very well explained here: http://www.eizo.com/global/support/wp/pdf/wp_08-002.pdf
If you use a colorimeter (instead of an spectrometer) you need a calibration software that is optimized for the calibration of wide gamut displays (i.e. a software that contsains correction tables for the measurement devices and the dedicated monitor). For your SX you can't use Eizo's Color Navigator... AFAIK... but "Basiccolor Display 4" resp. "Color Eyes" should do. You could also try Quato's "iColor Display" which is probably the best solution as it contains correction tables for Quato's Wide Gamut monitors. You can choose the monitor model from a pop up menu. In your case the correction tables for the Quato IP 242LE or IP220LE should work fine for your SX as they use the same or similar panels (AFAIK...). That is not as accurate as a dedicated correction table... but much better than using a software without any correction tables (mostly calibration softwares only provide simple correction curves for "CRT" and "LCD").
If you use a spectrometer - like an i1Pro or a Colormunki - the software does not need to provide correction tables. If you use either an i1Pro or a Colormunki I'd recommend Basiccolor Display 4 as software.

tashley

Subscriber Member
this behavior is very well explained here: http://www.eizo.com/global/support/wp/pdf/wp_08-002.pdf
If you use a colorimeter (instead of an spectrometer) you need a calibration software that is optimized for the calibration of wide gamut displays (i.e. a software that contsains correction tables for the measurement devices and the dedicated monitor). For your SX you can't use Eizo's Color Navigator... AFAIK... but "Basiccolor Display 4" resp. "Color Eyes" should do. You could also try Quato's "iColor Display" which is probably the best solution as it contains correction tables for Quato's Wide Gamut monitors. You can choose the monitor model from a pop up menu. In your case the correction tables for the Quato IP 242LE or IP220LE should work fine for your SX as they use the same or similar panels (AFAIK...). That is not as accurate as a dedicated correction table... but much better than using a software without any correction tables (mostly calibration softwares only provide simple correction curves for "CRT" and "LCD").
If you use a spectrometer - like an i1Pro or a Colormunki - the software does not need to provide correction tables. If you use either an i1Pro or a Colormunki I'd recommend Basiccolor Display 4 as software.

Hmm, I think some (possibly most) of that went whoosh over my head - damned color calibration! I use Eye-One Match with a Eye-One mouse shaped dangly thing (both of which came with my Z3100 printer) and I am intuiting that from what you say that ain't right! For now I'm defaulting to the profile that came with the monitor and when my head has stopped hurting I will work it out in full. Blimey, whatever you learn, it's never enough!

Thanks Thomas!

thomas

Hmm, I think some (possibly most) of that went whoosh over my head - damned color calibration! I use Eye-One Match with a Eye-One mouse shaped dangly thing (both of which came with my Z3100 printer) and I am intuiting that from what you say that ain't right! For now I'm defaulting to the profile that came with the monitor and when my head has stopped hurting I will work it out in full. Blimey, whatever you learn, it's never enough!
:D yes, color management is like quicksand...
i1 Match is maybe better than nothing but with regard to your photographic gear I'd buy a more mature software. Maybe you get a bundle of the DTP94 & iColor Display. That's a competent set... around €200,-.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you use a colorimeter (instead of an spectrometer) you need a calibration software that is optimized for the calibration of wide gamut displays (i.e. a software that contsains correction tables for the measurement devices and the dedicated monitor).
Thomas,

Both Bob and I calibrated our NEC's with the NEC dedicated Spectro and software. Then we calibrated our ACD's conventionally with our i1 pro units (we both use i1 pro non-UV heads) with i1 match 3.6.3. In both cases, our ACD's were too blue. In Bob's case he said it made his NEC look warm, but to me, my NEC looked neutral and the ACD looked blue. For both of us, when we loaded the Apple default for the ACD it looked fine -- or more accurately was a closer match to the NEC. Since I only use the ACD for menus, I'd rather it matched the NEC than had a "proper" profile...

thomas

Both Bob and I calibrated our NEC's with the NEC dedicated Spectro and software. Then we calibrated our ACD's conventionally with our i1 pro units (we both use i1 pro non-UV heads) with i1 match 3.6.3. In both cases, our ACD's were too blue.
that's most likely a problem of the Match software.
Why not just adjust the white point of the ACD manually and then calibrate to the "native whitepoint" (i.e. the white point you' ve adjustet manually)? Or does the ACD doesn't provide RGB chanels?
I set my white point manually even in single monitor use (to match my D50 ambient light and viewing booth - whereby "manually might sound misleading: my calibration software offers a manual adjustment of the hardware so you can take over that white point directly for the calibration). "Kelvin" is simply not accurate enough.

we loaded the Apple default for the ACD it looked fine -- or more accurately was a closer match to the NEC. Since I only use the ACD for menus, I'd rather it matched the NEC than had a "proper" profile...
yes, makes sense. the second monitor doesn't have to be accurate. The most important thing is that it does not distract or interfere adaption to the white point of your main color management display. Therefore it should also be a tad darker... in any case not (not a bit!) brigther than the NEC.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Exactly -- the menu monitor is a neutral match and set about 10 lumen dimmer than the NEC.

We now return you to your regular programming re the HD40 long exposures :)D)