Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting to play with some S2 files

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Starting to play with some S2 files

Let me start off....I am not an expert at this and it is not a scientific test. I used the S2 for about three days and made a number of shots in the field and can show what I ended up with. For instance, take this first scene in very bright high contrast light. Three exposures (all at f4.8). First shot, I just took in the whole scene to see how the camera would expose. I then exposed for the sofa to see how blown the sky would be. Third time I exposed for the sky to see how well I could bring up the interior shadows. In the end this was a good test for me to see what information was out there in the shadows.

The fourth and fifth images are virtual copies in LR with adjustments noted.

All hand held

1/500

1/250

1/1500

1/500 with recovery slider at 100

1/1500 with fill light slider at 50

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting to play with some S2 files

Hi Terry,

The underexpose and then fill shot looks best to me from these - how do they look to you full size? Conventional wisdom would have us expose to the right and then pull back the highlights so as to retain shadow detail...

Best

Tim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Tim,
    That is the one that is best the 1/500 shot is OK and the sky isn't actually blown and I can get stuff out of the shadows but there is enough still in the shadows of the 1/1500 shot that I would use it. It is just different for me to see how much I can pull from the shadows. There were a lot of spots like this the first morning I had the camera so it was a good way to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry,

for me the first shot looks best, maybe not all the details in shadow and sky you could get if you exposed towards one or the other end, but it looks just ok.

I would assume out of my knowledge I have meanwhile with the H3D39, that I can get pretty similar results out of the box, if I work on the spanning the whole range - maybe with exposure correction. If this file came directly out of the S2 then this is remarkable for me.

Keep sharing!

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry,

Peter is correct...the lattitude in these exposures is the hallmark of MF.

Looks like the S2 has it and then some.

Makes one wonder......

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

Personally I am liking the last iteration, which IMO follows most conventional digital processing wisdom: expose for the highlights and develop for the shadows.

The main thing with MF files is the ability to push them around. I honestly feel you can add around 2 stops of DR in the raw processor for most MF files using the above method, maybe more. Generally speaking, I find the highlight recovery slider can usually recapture 1/3rd to 1/2 stop, and before I get slammed, no, the colors from that will not be 100% accurate, but at least they are palatable. So here you could conceivably "save" the first shot's highlights too. The shadow slider is the biggie, and can usually pop up as much as 2 stops to a base ISO capture without adding horrendous noise issues. Pretty impressive and probably the main reason those of us shooting MF chose it...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Terry,

Personally I am liking the last iteration, which IMO follows most conventional digital processing wisdom: expose for the highlights and develop for the shadows.

The main thing with MF files is the ability to push them around. I honestly feel you can add around 2 stops of DR in the raw processor for most MF files using the above method, maybe more. Generally speaking, I find the highlight recovery slider can usually recapture 1/3rd to 1/2 stop, and before I get slammed, no, the colors from that will not be 100% accurate, but at least they are palatable. So here you could conceivably "save" the first shot's highlights too. The shadow slider is the biggie, and can usually pop up as much as 2 stops to a base ISO capture without adding horrendous noise issues. Pretty impressive and probably the main reason those of us shooting MF chose it...
    +1. Last image is lovely. Unbeatable.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,
    In working with the third shot (1/1500 shutter) it clearly gives me the most latitude to push it around. In the examples above I just kept it simple with the recovery for the 1/500 in the and the fill for the 1/1500 shot.

If I start to work on the shot I can get more out of the 1/1500 shot both with recovery and fill for global adjustments before going even further with local adjustments.

Also, Jack, Guy and I discussed all of this at the workshop while I was shooting and why I have all of these files to work with. Helpful when learning a new camera/format to have instruction at the same time.

This is the 1/1500 shot with both recovery and fill....notice how much better under control the highlights on the bottom of the sofa fabric are controlled.

Last edited by Terry; 7th March 2010 at 06:35.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Terry,

Exactly similar image here at the same time as Terry but I have no clipping on either end. Just some shadow and highlight recovery and a little tweaking this is where MF shines it's bright light. This is one shot without any blending or HDR. Actually pretty rare these days to do HDR. Most MF camera's or backs can handle this type of range.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I agree with most others in the the the last photo (1/500 shot with shadows lifted) looks better to my eye. As you know I have recently purchased an S2, so I am in the learning curve of processing images.

Tim, you have owned the S2 longer the any of us so could you please share some of your tips for processing S2 files. For example, which raw processor works best and what settings are good starting points in general?

Three things that I already know I need to do are: 1) Buy an Xrite passport to develop a profile for the camera in Lightroon; 2) Buy or build a faster computer; and 3) Buy a higher gamut monitor (e.g., NEC or Ezio) to get the most out of the processing. The only problem is all of these items start with the word "buy". At least the Xrite is inexpensive and I knew the computer and monitor upgrade would be needed before I bought the S2.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, did anyone shoot MF film at the workshop for comparison?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No film shot that I know of. Honestly there is no interest at all from me on film. Have not shot a roll of film in at least 10 years.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Terry
    the last iteration looks good . . . just as a matter of interest, did you take this shot with the A900 as well?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Terry
    the last iteration looks good . . . just as a matter of interest, did you take this shot with the A900 as well?

all the best
    Of course not, that would have been too logical and made too much sense . But I did do the same test with just the Sony the next day....file coming right up. Will process now. I did it on the Sony with a tripod thinking I would try and blend them but may not even need to.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For an amateur like me, film is the only option if I want to shoot medium format..which I do. Am trying out a Contax 645. So far with even a halfway decent exposure on color neg film it's very hard to lose shadow detail or blow highlights. I was just curious if anyone had a direct comparison with digital.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    For an amateur like me, film is the only option if I want to shoot medium format..which I do. Am trying out a Contax 645. So far with even a halfway decent exposure on color neg film it's very hard to lose shadow detail or blow highlights.
    Which is why most of us prefer Neg to Pos.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK,
    Here is an A900 bracketed exposure. -2EV, 0, +2EV untouched

Now for the basic files with just fill/recovery sliders. Similar to the S2 the A900 does well with the underexposed shot. The shadows come up quite nicely and there is still room to get better highlight. Look how well I can hold the mountains in the window.

Normal Exposure + recovery slider at 100

Underexposed -2 EV + Fill light slider at 60

Underexposed -2 EV + Fill light slider at 60 and recovery slider at 100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The last A900 photo looks good. The A900 is no slouch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post

Tim, you have owned the S2 longer the any of us so could you please share some of your tips for processing S2 files. For example, which raw processor works best and what settings are good starting points in general?
    Hi Mark,

I tend to use LR3 as a sort of 'import it, catalogue it and see what I got' solution (I know it's a beta but I have been using it for months now and it seems very stable to me, I make backups of the originals and it gets more details out of the files than LR2 for most cameras). However, if I want to get that real MF hyper-real look, extracting the last drop of detail, then, C1 is best by far. It's not a free lunch though: it is more prone to show color moire and moire in fine architectural detail, it tends to oversharpen as Guy has noted and needs toning down a bit, and it can, even at lower than default sharpening, exaggerate noise in darker mid-tones. But what it DOES do is extract that jaw-dropping detail that an MF file with no AA filter has - and which you just never, ever see from a DSLR.

HTH,

Tim

ps I have had an issue with 'centrefold' on some files from my replacement S2 (the first one had a sensor fault and was replaced) and so the second one has gone back to be fixed. It wasn't by any means visible in all files - in fact it was somewhat rare - and is far less visible in C1. Has anyone else seen this? I hear it happens in Hassy files from time to time but I have no experience there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very informative thread. Thanks for posting Terry.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Hi Mark,

I tend to use LR3 as a sort of 'import it, catalogue it and see what I got' solution (I know it's a beta but I have been using it for months now and it seems very stable to me, I make backups of the originals and it gets more details out of the files than LR2 for most cameras). However, if I want to get that real MF hyper-real look, extracting the last drop of detail, then, C1 is best by far. It's not a free lunch though: it is more prone to show color moire and moire in fine architectural detail, it tends to oversharpen as Guy has noted and needs toning down a bit, and it can, even at lower than default sharpening, exaggerate noise in darker mid-tones. But what it DOES do is extract that jaw-dropping detail that an MF file with no AA filter has - and which you just never, ever see from a DSLR.

HTH,

Tim

ps I have had an issue with 'centrefold' on some files from my replacement S2 (the first one had a sensor fault and was replaced) and so the second one has gone back to be fixed. It wasn't by any means visible in all files - in fact it was somewhat rare - and is far less visible in C1. Has anyone else seen this? I hear it happens in Hassy files from time to time but I have no experience there...

Tim I had the S2 all week with us in the Salton Sea workshop and mostly let Terry have free rein with it and only shot it once but did not get a chance to play with any files this time but I have been wondering if the latest C1 is any better in regards to the S2 than when Jack and I ran our tests and yes you hit the nail on the head what we where seeing back than. Wondering if you seen any changes with the latest version.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Happy to send you files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Terry and I should have grabbed some before we left so i can see what differences or improvements made to the S2 files in general with regards to C1. FYI maybe letting the cat out of the bag but there is a firmware update coming that fixes the continuous numbering. Not sure on anything else but it was something mentioned to me.

Also of note the X1 never had a chance when Terry grabbed the S2. LOL
    But Terry is working on that review this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Tim I had the S2 all week with us in the Salton Sea workshop and mostly let Terry have free rein with it and only shot it once but did not get a chance to play with any files this time but I have been wondering if the latest C1 is any better in regards to the S2 than when Jack and I ran our tests and yes you hit the nail on the head what we where seeing back than. Wondering if you seen any changes with the latest version.
    It's very hard to tell for sure because I've deleted the old C1 and in fact I only installed the new one yesterday - I generally like to wait a week or two (especially after the screw ups with LR2 and M9 files, and with Aperture 3's memory leak) before switching to the latest versions of things!

But I do feel that the files have all the extra detail that one expects from C1 but so far, and this is on a very limited sample, without the artefacts that we saw previously. I could be wrong here though.

What I do know is that if you flick through a load of P45+ files in C1 5.2 and through a load of S2 files in LR3, you start thinking, ooh, I really prefer the Phase files, but if you then open the S2 files in C1 the playing field seems totally level except the noise in mid to high range is better on the S2 but the noise on the P45+ at ISO 50 is better than anything.

One small other thought is that setting the S2 files sharpening to the same defaults as P45+ and then boosting clarity a LOT (about +40) gives files that at ISO 80 on S2 and 100 on P45+ I simply cannot tell apart other than differences in opinion on colour!

Post Thanks / Like

To me the A900 shots, although admirable, look nowhere near as tonal and full as the S2 / MF shots. The highlight recovery set so high also really kills it for me. I think my eyes are set to "positive film" mode though, so I might be more receptive to contrast, deep blacks and white highlights, as opposed to a full range of detail that digital and colour neg offers.

Keep the examples coming though, I really appreciate seeing what the camera can do and you being so open with your learning process. I can take a lot of what you're talking about and apply it to my own D700 digi workflow.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with tjv here. The A900 files look nice, Guy's shot looks nice too, with better detail and sharpness appearing to be there compared to the A900, but so far, the only shot with both full sky and shadow detail was the underexposed S2 shot. It would be interesting to see another, underexposed shot from the P40+, but I guess it is too late now, and anyway, I am sure it would be as good.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    To me the A900 shots, although admirable, look nowhere near as tonal and full as the S2 / MF shots. The highlight recovery set so high also really kills it for me. I think my eyes are set to "positive film" mode though, so I might be more receptive to contrast, deep blacks and white highlights, as opposed to a full range of detail that digital and colour neg offers.

Keep the examples coming though, I really appreciate seeing what the camera can do and you being so open with your learning process. I can take a lot of what you're talking about and apply it to my own D700 digi workflow.
    Keep in mind its a $2600.00 camera against a $24,000.00 camera. To be even compared is very good.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I like the last. But Fill Light at 50 normally introduces artifacts. Check carefully.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post

This is the 1/1500 shot with both recovery and fill....notice how much better under control the highlights on the bottom of the sofa fabric are controlled.
    Terry,

This is also good, but you've lost some of the contrast in the lower quarter tones compared to the last shot above it and this one looks a tad flat -- here I'd maybe go into real (not parametric) curves and tune this lower end...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

None of these is anywhere near where I would leave them. I didn't want to get into lots of different changes to the files was just trying to show if there was information there that could be captured so I just slid the sliders.

Uwe - I don't usually ever go to 100 on recovery slider because it never seems right after other changes I make to the files.

I will work on the Sony and S2 file when I can. Getting ready for another trip. In the meantime if anyone wants both of those files, just send me a PM and I will send you a link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...ps I have had an issue with 'centrefold' on some files from my replacement S2 (the first one had a sensor fault and was replaced) and so the second one has gone back to be fixed. It wasn't by any means visible in all files - in fact it was somewhat rare - and is far less visible in C1. Has anyone else seen this? I hear it happens in Hassy files from time to time but I have no experience there...
    Tim, I have not noticed a centerfold issue or perhaps I have not hit upon the right set of circumstances to get it to show. Have you narrowed down the conditions in which the centerfold issue is visible? I would like to test mine for that problem.

Also, thank you for the input on LR3 and C1. It sounds like I need to do some controlled test photos and download the latest C1 demo to see what I am missing. Frankly, I have been pretty pleased with the detail in LR3 and the thought of gaining additional detail is enticing.

Mark

Mark

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capture One 5.1 improved (undocumented/unadvertised) the behavior of the shadow-fill slider at very high values. I'd be very curious to see what difference the software processing alone has on the ability to recovery shadow detail in this tough scene while keeping natural color, meaningful/natural detail and avoiding banding or artifacts.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course. It's a totally crazy comparison when the price gap is that large but, still, it's interesting to see where that money goes - tonal range, dynamic range etc.

I'm totally convinced digital medium format would knock my socks off and be able to replace all my MF film kit. So far though the price point and, S2 aside, form factor would be a problem for me. My Mamiya 7ii is the only kit that truly fits the bill for me at the moment so I hope some day to afford an S2 like camera and get out of film all together...

As an aside, like the A900 results above, my D700 is getting there but isn't quite comparable in its output performance compared to how I use MF film, both in terms of resolution, tonal and dynamic range and latitude.

Can't wait to get hold of an S2 like system some day if these examples are anything to go by...

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    Keep in mind its a $2600.00 camera against a $24,000.00 camera. To be even compared is very good.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Tim, I have not noticed a centerfold issue or perhaps I have not hit upon the right set of circumstances to get it to show. Have you narrowed down the conditions in which the centerfold issue is visible? I would like to test mine for that problem.

Also, thank you for the input on LR3 and C1. It sounds like I need to do some controlled test photos and download the latest C1 demo to see what I am missing. Frankly, I have been pretty pleased with the detail in LR3 and the thought of gaining additional detail is enticing.

Mark

Mark
    Mark, you will likely get a really pleasant shock when you open the same S2 file side by side in LR3 and C1 5.1... it is literally as if one shot did not quite nail the focus...

The centrefold issue was visible running down exactly the centre of the file and though usually invisible even with fairly extreme 'slider action' the very first frame I shot with the camera had it clearly visible, if subtly so, in the stormy sky of a landscape shot, just by opening it with defaults in LR3. In some other files it could be provoked by extensive adjustments. Leica acknowledged and offered to fix the issue immediately.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK Tim,
    Guy and Jack have been trying to convince me for a while that I'm crazy not to be using C1. I'm a bit of a LR junkie because I like my workflow. Are you taking your C1 files to PS? or someplace else to finish them up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay just brought in a file from the past of a S2 file. Try this Presharpen 1 than lower amount to 60 than lower clarity -20 and the files look correct. I still have color artifacts but this does reduce it some, color still on the yellow side.

Post Thanks / Like

OK Tim,
    Guy and Jack have been trying to convince me for a while that I'm crazy not to be using C1. I'm a bit of a LR junkie because I like my workflow. Are you taking your C1 files to PS? or someplace else to finish them up?
    Hiya,

My method is roughly the same as Mr Reichmann's at LL I think. I import everything into LR because that's where I keep, rate and keyword stuff and where I generally print from. If I then have an S2 file that is a pick, I will do a Show In Finder>Copy>Paste Item to somewhere sensible>C1 Import. I will work the file up to its best there then export it as 16bit TIFF and re-import it to LR for local area work, cataloguing and printing.

This is not as long-winded as it sounds and it does have the advantage of a 'catalogue priority' workflow with a roundtrip for ultimate IQ where required. You can also soft proof it in C1 for your intended output as long as most of your development is done there.

The issue is mildly complicated by the fact that accurate colour profiles are not available at the moment unless you brew your own, and these brews are easier and cheaper to make for LR than C1 but can be made using Xrite products for either.

HTH and best regards,

t

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Tim,
    So, do you have a bunch of C1 sessions that you eventually trash?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim,
    So, do you have a bunch of C1 sessions that you eventually trash?
    Oh yes. I have made every normal human effort to master C1's file management (i.e. not that much because it sort of should be almost obvious!) and have failed. How many trash cans does an app need? Why, when you copy an entire folder and all sub folders to an external HD so you can move them from your travel laptop to your main computer do all the LCC profiles you have made go missing?

These and other questions remain mysterious to me. So I just delete it all.

;-)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh yes. I have made every normal human effort to master C1's file management (i.e. not that much because it sort of should be almost obvious!) and have failed. How many trash cans does an app need? Why, when you copy an entire folder and all sub folders to an external HD so you can move them from your travel laptop to your main computer do all the LCC profiles you have made go missing?
    You only need one session (ergo one trash) can to do what you do with the application.

If you use the EIP format then the LCC's, adjustments, tags, ratings, keywords etc stay with the raw file no matter how/where you move the image.

Post Thanks / Like

Any more files to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great work Terry! It's nice to see some examples of the S2 files. I must say I am with tjv and Carsten regarding dynamic range and contrast though. It's funny, slide film has the smallest dynamic range of any film/digital media, yet when you look on a lightbox, it is the one that is most lifelike. I found that when shooting medium format digital the shots looked unnatural out of the box, and part of that is the huge dynamic range can make things look much flatter than they were in reality. It is a fair argument to say that the human eye is capable of seeing a very wide range of brightnesses, but I would counter that it is because of the pupil's constantly shifting aperture and the scanning nature of the eye. For that reason I think slightly contrastier images tend to be more convincingly real, and why HDR in particular almost always looks unnatural. Anyway, more dynamic range IS better in a camera or film, but for me it is better because it gives me more flexibility to decide what to throw away! This was just something that came to mind to me when looking at all the different samples, but I will repeat that the S2 files look great, and I also agree that one of the prime benefits of medium format digital is the flexibility of the files.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Any more files to share?
    Yes, over the weekend I will do some more. I had to go to Charlotte on business for most of the week.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Great work Terry! It's nice to see some examples of the S2 files. I must say I am with tjv and Carsten regarding dynamic range and contrast though. It's funny, slide film has the smallest dynamic range of any film/digital media, yet when you look on a lightbox, it is the one that is most lifelike. I found that when shooting medium format digital the shots looked unnatural out of the box, and part of that is the huge dynamic range can make things look much flatter than they were in reality. It is a fair argument to say that the human eye is capable of seeing a very wide range of brightnesses, but I would counter that it is because of the pupil's constantly shifting aperture and the scanning nature of the eye. For that reason I think slightly contrastier images tend to be more convincingly real, and why HDR in particular almost always looks unnatural. Anyway, more dynamic range IS better in a camera or film, but for me it is better because it gives me more flexibility to decide what to throw away! This was just something that came to mind to me when looking at all the different samples, but I will repeat that the S2 files look great, and I also agree that one of the prime benefits of medium format digital is the flexibility of the files.
    Stuart,

I agree with you 100%.

I prefer more contrasty and saturated images (like a good slide film). I like actual blacks and actual whites, and find all too often many final images are just plain flat and lifeless in the name of more DR.

...but, having the flexibility in the file to chose what to throw away is key. Then, the photographer is making the decision, and not at the mercy of a camera's limitations.

Terry, anxiously awaiting your S2 images as well.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, looking forward to seeing more examples.

I was out shooting with my trusty Mamiya 7ii yesterday in the harsh NZ sun and the shifting light, deep shadows from trees and glare off the water on a near by river sent my heart racing - how the heck does one expose on E6 with 100% confidence in that situation? A wide DR digi MF would have cured my anxiety right then and there, I'm sure of it! Then again, I could stop being a masochist and shoot neg film I suppose...

I think it's without a doubt the S2 produces files on par, and in some ways better than other equally specd MF systems. Here's hoping sales volume increase for Leica so cost per unit can eventually come down and more lenses arrive to those how already own the camera. I also hope that Adobe is working on some special magic as part of their end of the deal to help get the best out of the S2 DNG files in LR3. LR is a great program but I agree it's not the best by far and, especially compared to C1, produces a less refined, more digital conversion.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am happy to throw some RAW files up on my public folder for you to download and work with. Just send me a PM and I will copy some over and send you the link.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry kindly sent me some DNG files today to play with.
    Here are some full frame JPG files and their respective ACR develop settings + histograms. Will post crops in a sec.

They sure do take a beating. There is shadow noise but it's easily dealt to and I only used colour noise reduction value of 6 and below for all images. I used no lens corrections for fringing and see there is some CA here and there on f2.5 shots. There is some moire on some wood grain...

I very much like these files from the S2. I don't claim to be a raw conversion expert but there are near enough to my liking. I converted all on my Macbook Pro laptop so colour may be a little off on high end monitors...

Crops to follow...

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here are the 100% crops selected for shadow noise, detail and highlights. Some show CA.

One good thing: My partner who possesses a far greater mind and eyes than I said she thought these files exhibit a three dimensionality she finds lacking in my Mamiya 7 kit but that she liked with my Leica ASPH lenses (she is an artist but not camera literate so didn't mention what lenses specifically just "that Mamiya of yours and your old Leica shots.") I suppose that's an endorsement!
    Last edited by tjv; 7th January 2012 at 01:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add the third picture has significant blur from hand holding so don't judge too heavily on the detail...