The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF observations

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, I figured a really slick way to mount the hand strap using my Kirk L bracket on the M645. I simply filed a thin notch in the plate where the plate meets the body. It is just slightly wider than the strap and slightly less deep than the doubled strap is thick. I then essentially pinch the strap between the plate and body and have one of those plastic rings on the inside to keep it from slipping through. Picture worth 1000 words on this, so give me a minute to add one ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy,
Using a ball head on a monopod can work, but it is a real PITA since you have too many things to fiddle with and getting the ball tight enough is always an issue. The monopod permits you to swivel and tilt any way you like as is, so a more secure connector of camera to stick is all you really need.

I do not know what the handstrap attachment points require, so cannot really help there, but RRS may even have an option for you there also. I would give them a call.

To work more as a walkabout, I even use a monopod pouch hanging from my gear belt. That allows me to shorten the monopod, tuck the end into the pouch, and be able to get a pretty steady platform almost anywhere. Not quite as stable as if the end were on the ground, but it is not bad if you are walking and shooting, like on the street or trail or something. It does not get in anybody's way. With my big glass, I use a neck strap tether to the lens, so that it does not get away from me if I accidently let go of things. That arrangement even allows me to let the rig lean forward so that I can view things on the camera back using both hands, or even to show others when chimping ;-)

LJ
Yea this leads me more towards a L bracket instead. This way i can just flip the body . I think this maybe the best route and a receiving plate on the monopod. i actually like using monopods . My 180 apo and DMR got a lot of use together.

Yes sometimes i stick the monopod in my gut to get some support

LJL

Not to butt in, but I have a gitzo carbon fiber monopod with a RRS clamp on it that I never use. I would sell it to you for a very good price.
Stuart,
Which model Gitzo do you have, and is that a lever release clamp or a standard screw release clamp on it? I may be interested. I have two Velbon carbon fiber monopods that I use all the time now, but the bigger one (Neo Pod 7) is finally having some leg section problems after several years of very hard use. I need something fairly tall for my standing work, since I am 6'4", hence the big Velbon. But a taller Gitzo may work for me also. PM if you care.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
FWIW, I figured a really slick way to mount the hand strap using my Kirk L bracket on the M645. I simply filed a thin notch in the plate where the plate meets the body. It is just slightly wider than the strap and slightly less deep than the doubled strap is thick. I then essentially pinch the strap between the plate and body and have one of those plastic rings on the inside to keep it from slipping through. Picture worth 1000 words on this, so give me a minute to add one ;)
Okay big fella sell me on it. LOL

LJL

Yea this leads me more towards a L bracket instead. This way i can just flip the body . I think this maybe the best route and a receiving plate on the monopod. i actually like using monopods . My 180 apo and DMR got a lot of use together.

Yes sometimes i stick the monopod in my gut to get some support
This is why I suggested the lever release clamp, it allows very rapid change from landscape to portrait mode, but you do need the L-bracket for that. I can flick open the lever with my thumb and pull the rig, re-orient and snap it back down very quickly, versus sliding it out of a regular screw clamp and doing all that part. Either will work very nicely. Just have to be sure the lever clamp gets tight enough, and that is where it is important to watch for mixing the Kirk and RRS stuff. Although both are Arca-Swiss dovetail mounts, they are not exactly the same width/thickness, so things may be loose or tight. Check this out carefully, and I do suggest the neckstrap as a safety ;-) (Also, get a pouch to hang off your belt rather than using your gut. Weighs nothing, does not get in the way, does not look too dorky, and it is much, much more secure.)

LJ

Stuart Richardson

Stuart,
Which model Gitzo do you have, and is that a lever release clamp or a standard screw release clamp on it? I may be interested. I have two Velbon carbon fiber monopods that I use all the time now, but the bigger one (Neo Pod 7) is finally having some leg section problems after several years of very hard use. I need something fairly tall for my standing work, since I am 6'4", hence the big Velbon. But a taller Gitzo may work for me also. PM if you care.

LJ
LJ -- It is a Gitzo G1568 mk2 with a manfrotto 3232 head (only goes from side to side...it just flops over to one side or the other), and a RRS screwclamp.

If that sounds like something you would be interested in, let me know.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LJ -- It is a Gitzo G1568 mk2 with a manfrotto 3232 head (only goes from side to side...it just flops over to one side or the other), and a RRS screwclamp.
That's the exact set up I have --- works great, but I never use mine anymore either. Used to use it with long glass on my Canon when shooting sports.

Stuart Richardson

That's the exact set up I have --- works great, but I never use mine anymore either. Used to use it with long glass on my Canon when shooting sports.
I bought it thinking it would help me, but it's not really my shooting style. I am either fully on a tripod, or fully off. If I did sports or wildlife, It would be ideal.

LJL

If that sounds like something you would be interested in, let me know.
Stuart,
That sound like it is right between my Velbon Neo Pod 6 (60" tall) and Neo Pod 7 (66" tall) as the newer model Gitzo GM2540 at (63" tall). With the Bogen piece you probably get an extra 1-1.5" height. That may just make it for my standing use with my 400mm f2.8 lens. Hmmm....now you have me thinking.

LJ

LJL

Jack,
That is a pretty clever innovation, and it looks like it would do the job nicely for using the handstrap. I think L-brackets are great....bit bulky until you need to quickly swap directions on a tripod especially, and they beat the ballhead flop by a long run. The handstrap is also a superb addition for camera handling. You have a simple and somewhat elegant solution here. Guy, you need to think about this ;-)

LJ

harmsr

Workshop Member
Guy,

Are you forgetting that I have a complete machine shop, (mill, lathe, surface grinder, blaster, welding, buffers, sanders, saws, and measuring equipment) about 40 minutes down the road from you in Chandler?

Give me a call and stop down. We can modify your plates.

If you bring the Mamiya, we can shoot those product shots in the studio for a direct comparison to the D3. The only problem is that I'm afraid of falling off the same slippery slope.

Best,

Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think L-brackets are great....bit bulky
Agreed, but FWIW this Kirk plate for the Mamiya 645 is tucked in very nicely along the side and you don't really even notice it's on the camera...

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Jack my wife thanks you for showing me the Arca Swiss head. I have been obsessing over it since we got back from the workshop.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack my wife thanks you for showing me the Arca Swiss head. I have been obsessing over it since we got back from the workshop.
Yes, I'm SURE she is "thanking" me :ROTFL:

(Bit of an inside joke folks. At our Carmel printing workshop I showed Joseph my Arca Cube head. Being another qualified gear-hound, Joseph is now toast with any other head. If you still don't understand, check out the price of the Arca Cube -- it's painful, and unfortunately worth every penny... :eek:)