The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new option for a light travel tripod?

tashley

Subscriber Member
http://www.giottos-tripods.co.uk/index.php?page=productpage&p=3&product=4b83be9116e5c

I played with one of these at Focus on Imaging recently and it feels really nice. It is just 1.4kg in weight including a great ballhead and I am pretty certain that as long as it's not too breezy this will work nicely with a cambo WRS/Phase back combo and wider lenses. I have one on order and will test it with the P65+/645DF combo though my hopes are low but you never know... it does break Jack's 'no centre column' rule, to which I am a convert.

I've taken to travelling with an M9 and WRS/Cambo/Schneider 35XL combo and a really nice thing about this Giottos tripod is that it comes apart to supply you with a monopod if that's what you want...

Anyone else seen one of these or even better, tried one?

Best

Tim

I have not used (or seen for that matter) the tripod you are talking about. I have been considering the Gitzo 2 series traveler. I have the 1 series traveler (1541 I think), but I'm not so sure about using it with the S2. It has been great for the M8. I looked at the 2 series traveler at PhotoPlus and it is only slightly bigger than the 1 series, but much more stable.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have not used (or seen for that matter) the tripod you are talking about. I have been considering the Gitzo 2 series traveler. I have the 1 series traveler (1541 I think), but I'm not so sure about using it with the S2. It has been great for the M8. I looked at the 2 series traveler at PhotoPlus and it is only slightly bigger than the 1 series, but much more stable.
Hi Mark,

Not sure if you saw this thread of mine at LUF

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-s2-forum/111429-how-save-2-700-s2.html

but the upshot is that the S2 is so smooth that you can use a very very light rig. I meant it all mildly tongue in cheek because of course if it were windy you'd never get away with it but I do think the slap and bank of the Phamiya bodies have led me to acquire an overkill of tripod gear that is simply not needed for some other cameras...

Hi Tim,

Yes, I followed your thread over at LUF with interest at the time. I will try the S2 on my 1 series traveler before upgrading to the 2 series traveler. It would be nice to not have to buy another tripod.

The Giottos tripod model you linked looks very interesting. I couldn't find it on B&H or Adorama here in the US. Perhaps it is new and hasn't arrived here yet.

Mark

Terry

Mark - what head are you using on your traveler?

I've used the Gitzo 1780 and the RRS Pano clamp and it has worked fine with my Sony in tame weather....not gale force winds.

Terry, I am using the head that came with the tripod and have added the RRS quick release clamp. The problem with that head is there is no panning capability. I have considered getting a better head like the Gitzo 1178 (probably the best bang for the buck from the ones I have looked at), but I decided to wait until I decided whether to upgrade tripods. The head that comes on the 2 series is similar to the one on the 1 series but a liitle more substantial. If I go with the 2 series traveler I may just add the RRS panoclamp and see Joe that works out. Actually I should go ahead and get the panoclamp now and try it on the 1 series head.

Last edited:

Terry

I recently bought a new head that I like.....
It is a good size on the tripod and also pans.

Arca Swiss P0 and Arca Swiss quick release plat.