The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I took the plunge, I purchased a H3D-39

kuau

Workshop Member
I have proceeded and purchasing today the 28 and 50-110mm zoom. I got just to good of a deal to pass up, both lenses have under 1000 actuations and complete with box, pouch etc.
So now I just don't know whether to go for the 150mm, I really like the FOV of the 150mm very similar to my Nikon 85mm lens which I use all the time and then pick up the 1.7x tc in the future or.. get the 210mm

Any advvice

Steven

Dale Allyn

Steven,

It's difficult to advise another photographer on focal length choices, but as one who shoots mostly landscape (with a mix of other subjects and styles included), and as one who owns 150mm and 210mm lenses (Mamiya), I use the 150mm FL far more often than the 210. My 210 is quite nice, but a bit long for much of what I do in MF.

That said, in your case you have 110mm covered, so you'll need to decide if 150 is too small an increment. I have 120mm also, so I guess for me 150 is still important.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have similar thoughts WRT 150 or 210. Cannot decide so far, need to test both lenses and then see which one fits better my needs.

yangt26224

The other alternative worth to consider is the 180mm CFI. It is a highly regarded lens and fits nicely between the 150 and 210 range. Just a thought...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMO they're different enough focals that one can justify both. There is also the converter option, which may make the 210 more compelling. All that said, if I had to choose one over the other, I know I use the 120 through 150 range on MF about 4 times as often as anything longer. That is for my usage requirement and I realize YMMV...

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks again everyone for all your help and advice.
Right now I am leaning towards the HC 150mm. I am like Jack
Then in the future get the 1.7x tc

Steven

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually the 150 with the TC 1.7 is a very good combination. I also doubt I would go for the 210.

I currently have the 28, 100 and will most probably get the 150 next. And I am also pretty fix starter for the 35-90.

R

R Shaffer

I am now an official member of the MF world.
After trying a Phase one Body with a Leaf Aptus II 5
I came across a used H3D-39 body only with 2 batteries, 12000 actuations for $6500.00 I couldn't resist so I went for it.

Now comes the hard choices on which hc lenses to start with..
Landscape stuff only btw.

I am for sure getting the 28mm
Now I can't figure out whether to go with the 50-110 zoom and a 210mm or..
go primes
50mm, 100mm, 150mm 1.7tc

thanks everyone
Congrats

Wow, looks like a great deal.

I still can't believe the IQ & detail with my ZD. I'm having fun just zooming in & out on the images. Just blows me away.

Have fun :D

kuau

Workshop Member
To add insult to injury...
I just got in the mail today my Multiflex Head $1130.00 shipped with an extra knob and leather pouch.
I have never seen a Cube up close and I am sure they are beautiful, yet...
I would rather save the $600 and use that towards my next lens.

Steven

B

BlueLemon

I have also recently bought the H3D2-39 - it came with a 28 and a 80

So selling all my Canon lenses, I needed new glass and I went for the 100 and the 210 and recently purchased the 120 also for commercial stilllife.

Actually i purchased the 150 and the 1.7 extender, but send the 150 back and had it replaced with the 210, because the 100 + 1.7 extender is very close in performance to the 150 itself.

So my lineup is 28 - 80 - 100 - 120 - 210 + the 1.7 extender - and now I just need the 50 or a zoom

Congrats on your camerapurchase - It´s a true gem !!!

Enjoy

kuau

Workshop Member
If I got the HC150mm and wanted to also do some close up stuff on occasion what would be the right extension tube to get the HE 13 or the HE 26 I don't think I need 1:1 i think 1:2 would be fine.

Steven

Quentin_Bargate

I currently have a ZD camera which I have owned for several years (an underrated camera in my view), but I am looking at upgrading it to a Hassy, most likely a H3D-39 or 39II. The price of a decent H3D-39 has fallen quite a lot. $6,500 is in the right ball park for body only. MF is becoming more affordable if you are willing to buy a camera a few years old. My only issue is whether it might be worth leasing an H4D-40, but the senosr crop concerns me a little for landscape work.

the reason for a Hassy move is integration. I want to use the HTS 1.5 at some stage and I like the idea the camera firmware and Phocus will identify the lens, use of tilt / shift with the HTS and correct accordingly.

I have no idea about Hassy lenses - but I know I'll need a macro. Is the 120 F4 Macro useable on a H3D as a portrait lens? I'm guessing it's a little short for head and shoulders portraiture. And how good is the macro at infinity?

Quentin

Jeffg53

Quentin, is your concern about the crop factor solely to do with wide lenses? I am wrestling with the thought of a 40 at the moment. The new chip seems great even compared to the 39 that I now have.

You may find the 120 a bit of a lump. The focus is that of a typical macro - lots of throw, and slow autofocus. It wouldn't be my first choice. The 100 or 150 would be a better choice.

fotografz

Quentin, is your concern about the crop factor solely to do with wide lenses? I am wrestling with the thought of a 40 at the moment. The new chip seems great even compared to the 39 that I now have.

You may find the 120 a bit of a lump. The focus is that of a typical macro - lots of throw, and slow autofocus. It wouldn't be my first choice. The 100 or 150 would be a better choice.
I recently made that jump Jeff ... from a H3D-II/39 to a H4D/40. I shoot mostly people ... like environmental portraits, and directed wedding candids, as well as travel and street. For those applications even the 28 on a crop frame will see little use. When I shot with a H3D-II/31 the 100mm was the most used followed by the 50 followed by the 150. The 120 macro never leaves the studio and I've never even used the AF on that lens. I really only needed the 28 for big group shots at weddings ... or environmental portraits that were going to be printed 20 X 24 or larger. I recently got the 210 so I'm not sure what useage that'll get ... but I tend toward longer than shorter for some of the new ideas I have to expand my work. I also need the higher ISO ability of the H4D/40 ... that's one thing I know for sure.

-Marc

Jeffg53

Thanks Marc, I was wondering which way you had jumped. I take it that you are more than happy with the 40 after the 39. That high ISO is appealing. I also tend to longer rather than shorter so a crop doesn't bother me. The longer the 60 takes to appear the more appealing is the 40. I have the 40 on loan over Easter so I'm looking forward to giving it a more thorough workout.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Choosing between the 39 or 40 is a matter of what you need. As a landscape photographer I am clearly leaning towards the 39 because of the crop 1.1. If you are going to use the camera more as a cam replacing a DSLR, then the 40 makes sense - faster, higher ISO etc.

I would then not be so much concerned about crop, especially with longer focal length a decent crop of 1.3 is rather helping than disturbing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My .02 on the crop factor, offered FWIW...

1) It is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you have true "full frame" capture, which gives you the widest capture possible with any given lens. However, with the crop, you are using the sweetest spot of the lens, so have better corner-to-corner sharpness, and actually get a little longer net focal out of your lenses which can be as beneficial as getting wider...

1a) While we're discussing crop, IMO even a 30MP image is still a pretty great file to work with! :D

2) Speed. The new 40's are faster than the 39's, but the new 60's are about half-way between.

3) Not really relevant to the discussion, but: You can crop a 60 to the 40 and maintain all of the IQ and perspective advantages of the 40, while maintaining the size advantage to the 60. Also, you only give up a little speed to the 40, especially with Phase in the binned mode.

FWIW, #3 is one of the three main reasons why I chose the P65+...

jlm

Workshop Member
Marc:

i thought you were holding on to your Hd3 to trade in for the H4D-60, using hasselblad's generous trade in for that model. i am seeing no trade ins accepted toward the H4D-40
??

fotografz

Marc:

i thought you were holding on to your Hd3 to trade in for the H4D-60, using hasselblad's generous trade in for that model. i am seeing no trade ins accepted toward the H4D-40
??
I sold my H3D-II/39 to my shooting partner in Florida. It's his first MFD camera. I will eventually either get a CF Multi-shot for my H2F ... IF AND WHEN commercial studio work picks back up again. Or a H4D/50 Multishot if that comes available in future.

But for right now, the H4D/40 will serve my immediate needs and paying applications the best. And like I said, the difference was only $5K not $20K. BIG difference right now ;)