Site Sponsors

Thread: A few P30+ questions

Post Thanks / Like

A few P30+ questions

Hey guys. I don't see many threads relating to the P30+ back in the Phase One line up. What are your collective thoughts? Is it a good, valid shooter with all the newer technology backs now out there? I like the fact it shoots from 100ISO - 1600ISO (although I use such a back primarily between 100 - 400ISO.) I don't require the use of a tech camera. The only downside I see is it is a 1.3x crop vs the lower res P25+ and higher res P45+. In terms of dollar to res and pixel quality differences, which is the best value for money Phase back at the moment for someone who doesn't need tech movements and 100 - 400ISO range shooting only? What does the Phase literature mean by saying "the P30+ has superior Moire control?" How does it achieve this and is this claim justified?

Thanks,
    Tim

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A few P30+ questions

Between the 3 backs mentioned it has the best ISO range bar none no question. That part is very true . This may help show that http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8090

The P30+ uses micro lenses and it will control moire better for sure over the P45+ and P25+ which is the worst for moire. But you are still going to get moire just no way around it with any back. The P30+ is a excellent general purpose back IMHO. Good ISO good speed and a very nice file to boot. It's the same crop factor as the new P40+ and something that is very easy to get used to although I would prefer the crop factor of the P25/45
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Hey guys. I don't see many threads relating to the P30+ back in the Phase One line up. What are your collective thoughts? Is it a good, valid shooter with all the newer technology backs now out there? I like the fact it shoots from 100ISO - 1600ISO (although I use such a back primarily between 100 - 400ISO.) I don't require the use of a tech camera. The only downside I see is it is a 1.3x crop vs the lower res P25+ and higher res P45+. In terms of dollar to res and pixel quality differences, which is the best value for money Phase back at the moment for someone who doesn't need tech movements and 100 - 400ISO range shooting only? What does the Phase literature mean by saying "the P30+ has superior Moire control?" How does it achieve this and is this claim justified?
    The 30+ is still the most popular back in rental in Miami. For the renters it's a rock solid, reliable, predictable back that many shooters here already know it's ins and outs of. It's also very reasonably priced in rental compared to a 5D Mark 2 and the images (compared to that camera) speak for themselves.

These rental shooters very often own (specifically) a 5D Mark 2 and use it tethered or CF-transfered to Capture One so using a P30+ is a natural "upgrade" when they need more umph in their files because it will fit into their existing capture one tethered or untethered workflow.

Another benefit for this crowd is the completely consistent speed. dSLRs have a huge advantage in burst speed (5, 7, or even higher frames per second) but on a fashion set the burst speed is limited by the recycle time of the slowest flash on the set (usually the one turned up the highest since often all the packs are the same type) and so rather than burst speed the photographer craves have no limit on the "depth" of shooting fast and on having the last image in a series be available for viewing as soon as he puts down the camera. A 30+ on an H body tethered to Capture One can shoot 83 frames in two minutes and the final image will be on the screen about 3 seconds after the shutter release and every frame along the way will be at the same pace - you have to try VERY hard to fill the buffer of a 30+ (most shooters would never find the buffer limit).

A final point I'd mention about fashion/portrait/location work for the 30+ is the backup scenario. Very often when we rent a 30+ it is to someone flying in to Miami, arranging all the equipment, crew, and talent, and then driving to the keys or other not-in-miami location for a multi-day shoot. For these shoots an hour of downtime is an unacceptable risk so they need two bodies (backs very very rarely "go down" so they don't need an extra back) and with a P30+ they can take any 30+ with any two H2 bodies (bodies being cheap to rent while backs are not) - they don't need to be matched or "paired".

The reason you don't see a lot about the 30+ on this forum is the large portion of the forum members who are interested more in landscape than fashion/portrait/event. The 45+/65+/40+ makes much more sense for them. The 30+ has microlenses which prohibits its use on a technical camera and makes it a questionable long-term investment for any landscape shooter - landscape shooters also often need/want wide angle lenses and the crop factor can become an issue and do not need the speed benefit of the 30+.

All that said I think we'll see a gradual transition to the 40+ being the main-stay back in rental here. The rental market (at least this rental market) simply doesn't move quickly to new equipment - in fact we still rent the 1Ds II about as often as the 1Ds III.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug I would also add as well as a first time buyer to MF with a reasonable budget in mind. This is by far one of the best backs to buy into. They are relatively inexpensive and right out of the gun one of better backs known. Pretty much hit the ground running backs. Basically bullet proof with C1 to get great files straight out of the cam. Another great reason it is in the rental houses. I had this back coming from the P25+ and was much happier with the P30+ i could shoot ISO 800 pretty much noise free and when it really counted to keep noise at the lowest and still maintain a good ISO than 400 is very very good. I would not say that with a P25+ or P45+. This is a solid ISO 400 back with 800 if you really need lower noise control you can get it with one of the noise programs or some adjustments in C1 itself. Mostly talking in terms of default here but I used ISO 800 a lot on this back. I moved up to the P40+ but that was a 3 month decision for me which is extremely rare and reason being was the P30+ was so good. Personally I can recommend this back very much . It pretty much has it all and maybe reason I called it the general purpose back. Regardless of what Doug said i cheated and used this on landscape stuff all the time but he is correct for fashion/portrait/wedding type work it is very well designed for that.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I also had a Phase P30 back, and agree with Guy that this is a fantastic MFDB. Files look pretty good right out the box. Easy to use and fast. I also shot landscape with my P30, and Don Libby has with his P30+ as well, and with great success.

IMHO, the P30/P30+ (soon probably to be de-throned by the P40+) is the sweet-spot in terms of MFDBs. The files are "just-right"---nice quality, not too big, easy to work with. Big bang for the buck in terms of price of entry.

Another thing to mention is the crop factor. Weaknesses in lenses are most easily shown in the corners. With the P30 crop, those apparent weakness go by the wayside. In otherwords, all the older generation Mamiya glass remain viable for use. Having moved on to the Phase P65+, I am pretty much relegated to buying the newer and better D series glass, and at a much higher price point---this, and having to buy a new computer workstation were two factors I didn't put enough weight into when purchasing the P65+. (The P45+ had worked well with early glass and my current computer before moving on to the P65+)

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken said it all, another vote for the 30+ or 40+ as
    the sweet-spot in the MFDB lineup.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your answers guys.

Seems like the P30+ is a sweet back. To be honest the only thing that turns me off slightly is the 1.3x crop. I really like the compressed depth / 3D look you more easily see when using bigger sensors / film. I like the sound of the P30+ mid range ISO capability being better than most which, although I mainly sit at 100ISO, will be important to it's versatility in use, especially if needing to work hand held.

To further explain the type of work I want to do with it; I'm always in the field. I shoot mainly what people would call social documentary / street photography. I walk the streets - rain, hail or snow - and photograph independently of assistants, computers etc. Everything is taken under natural light, with the occasional (badly executed!) use of flash. I like the idea of MF digital for several reasons. By and large, I like to take my time when I work. I'm usually on a tripod these days and I don't fire off thousands of shots. The type of work I do also requires I give something back to gain peoples trust and also say thanks. With film (I've been loving using a Mamiya 7 kit for four years, as well as 4x5",) It takes a long time to get photos back to the subjects and by the time they get them a bond / trust is often broken. Digital is just quicker and more helpful in this regard. I also feel adding a digital MF back will be a positive step in becoming wholly independent from any labs and technicians that (sometimes) don't meet quality expectations. I'm sick of couriering film out - you've got two sets of couriers to worry about, the lab staff etc. Lastly, the cost of shooting film is now insane. The quality and look of the final result from film is just not an issue, for me it's perfect, but when you can't afford to shoot a lot and take risks, well, what's the point?

Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments. What is the going rate for a P30+ these days in the US? The market here is really small and thus prices are usually a good 50% more, with little support network to justify it...

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you who have sent me private messages and advise.

I've had the pleasure of playing with a forum members files from a P30 (non plus) and can see it is a big step in the right direction from both 35mm digital and, to a lesser extent, drum scanned 6x7 film. Doing the math at my end, it would take me between 3.5 and 4.5 years at my current rate of shooting with 120 film to spend the equivalent on a MF setup as to buying film and paying for processing. This calculation doesn't even take into account the cost of drum scanning, so realistically buying into MF makes a lot of financial sense for me, not to mention it will make me 100% autonomous from labs and such.

So for me it is coming down to choosing between the P30+ and P40+. I am most certain I will buy from Capture Integration. Now I just need to get the years tax out of the way and sell some prints to pay for it all!

One concern I do have after reading Guy's review between the P30+, P40+ and P45+ is the P30+ magenta / red colour bias. It looks really bad to my eyes in the sample images. I much prefer a more neutral colour of the P40+ which edges towards a more classic "Kodak tone."

Any comments on this last point?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford to wait, and haven't already got $ invested in Phase/Mamiya gear, I can't see any way that Pentax's sub-$10k 40MP digital 645D+lens kit isn't going to have an effect on Phase/Leaf's competing products in the months ahead, especially the $20k P40+/Aptus II-8. From a financial perspective, right now might just possibly be the worst time to buy a MFDB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A quick observation on non-modular bodies (like the Pentax and S2) is simply the expense involved in upgrading. With a detachable back, your upgrade only needs to be the back or body itself, not both, and the upgrade is available whenever either is revised. Also note, at least with Phase and I suspect Leaf as well, you can have mounts changed should you decide on another camera platform.

Doug touched on back-up. I can keep an inexpensive 1st version AFD body for back-up (under $500) as emergency if my body goes down. I can also keep a film back and a dozen or so rolls of film with it for a small investment, again as back-up should my back go down. (Granted, you could keep a spare Pentax film body laying around for the full analog back-up part too.)

Small points to be sure, but I feel they are worth keeping in the decision matrix.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also Hassy and Phase are well proven systems with rental houses filled with product to use in almost any major city. Need, lens, back or body when on location is a huge factor. Also we have dedicated software completely tuned to these backs for utmost performance and image quality. The Pentax as nice as it maybe is not in rental house (YET) maybe never be. Does not have dedicated software, does not do tethering and it does not have backup options. All these are extremely important to the working Pro. A lot of questions yet to be answered. For the hobbyist some of these are not of concern so maybe not a big deal. Also service and repair, the Pentax goes down being only in Japan right now than it may have to go back for repair which could take weeks. I today can have a back in my hands by 10 am the next day. So lot's of decisions go into a purchase , sure 10k sounds cheap but it could also be expensive to a pro for backups , repairs and everything else in time and money. The other equation is how good is that 40 mpx sensor and the optics that go with it. Not saying it is not a good option just right now that is all unknown. Buy a Phase or Hassy today your are shooting within 5 minutes with a whole multitude of product, service, support, software and rentals. Plus technical camera options Alpa, Cambo etc etc.

The Pentax is a exciting systems but proof will be in the pudding. The MF market is very fickle and we have seen the players take a bath too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the months ahead will be interesting, so long as Pentax avoids the Mamiya ZD fiasco. They're a company that have always done well in the past, so I'd be optimistic. If you want the infrastructure that Phase/Leaf has in place then sure, there is no other option just now. As for back-up backs/bodies, 2 x 645D = 1 x P40+ in price, so that's one way to address it. Lenses? Pentax have produced some super optics over the years, and I'd expect nothing to change now they've entered the MFDB era. Tethering is yesterday's technology, wireless SD cards are the future. Upgrading - for sure that's an issue, but 40MP is going to be enough for a lot of people. I'm sure many would be looking for better high ISO performance in MFDBs than simply more and more pixels. The fact that Pentax are already talking about MFDB backs based on CMOS sensors is interesting indeed. Whatever happens, a bit of competition at long last is welcome. In the long run, we're all going to benefit - and that can't be a bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pushing 40 mpx images wirelessly is going to be a challenge. We will have to see . Remember it needs to be fast and today i get 2 second previews wired of course. I would love it but something needs to change for it to happen is my guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    ...but something needs to change for it to happen is my guess.
    Maybe the 645D is that 'something'

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They are DNG's i believe from the pentax . Like Leica they need a lossless compression, hope they think about this.

Post Thanks / Like

It'll shoot in either Pentax's proprietary (lossless) compressed RAW .PEF format, or Adobe's open source .DNG format. Plus, of course, JPEGs (three sizes) as well as RAW+JPEG. Looks like they've given it quite a bit of thought ;-).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Pentax does indeed seem like a good option. My reasoning for Phase though is a P30+ from CI is about 10K, the same price as the 645D? The trade in schemes Phase offers are very attractive in the long term and make a lot of sense financially. Support? I'm screwed either way. I live in the middle of nowhere in the camera world.

At the end of the day for me, I'm only interested in a rock solid system that can be used day in, day out without any drama. I think Mamiya / Phase is proven in this way.

Post Thanks / Like

As a tried and tested system, Phase One/Leaf/Mamiya has a good track record, and if you're not going to go with Hasselblad it's about the only game in town for sure. I hope in the near future we'll be saying the same of Pentax, and I think we will. (I still maintain that you'll get your P30+ at a better price sooner than you'd imagine... ).

Post Thanks / Like

Until the Pentax 645D actually makes it to the US, I still consider it vaporware. To me, the 645D is more comparable to the Leica S2, except that the Leica S2 is available now.

Because I already use an interchangeable back system, I have absolutely no interest in cameras like the 645D or S2. (though I invite more MF Digital manufacturers to join in the fun)

Phase MFDBs have a solid history of performance. And rather than guessing about future Pentax 645D *what ifs*, the Phase P30+ is a system that you can use right now--today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ditto. You want rock solid today and in a remote location of the world go Phase or go Hassy. They both can be counted on. I happen to like the Phase because i own it for one and they have a good track record for build quality. I had the p30+ and it is a solid back and great performer.

Post Thanks / Like

What do people think about Leaf backs in the current climate?

I'm thinking specifically about the Leaf Aptus-II 7, 33mp back with 1.1 crop. I like the idea of the larger chip but have no idea what the back costs compared to the Phase offerings and what the performance is life.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hooray! for Pentax. Whenever it gets to the US market, it'll provide an entry level option into MFD for a lot of people who insist on buying new, but couldn't afford a current new MFD kit from Mamiya/Phase/Leaf or Hasselblad.

However, I think it'll have little to no effect on current customers of current systems. Beyond all the user expectations already established and mentioned by Guy and others, I doubt there are very many current MFD users willing to take a bath on their entire system investment to move to Pentax. Some may do it for a S2, because it's a Leica and is truly sexy and exclusive with unquestioned optics, but not many of those either ... as the cost of current system loss added the cost of the new system is absolutely ferocious.

Tim, depending on your actual applications, I wouldn't be put off by the 1.3X crop factor at all. IMO, these backs are the right choice for people, social documentary, and street photography ... especially if you tend toward available light. They are fast, offer a bit better ISO performance, and 28mm on them is wider than you may think.

I think the P30+ is exactly the right choice given your criteria and budget. Mamiya bodies are plentiful as are many of the lenses, and performance/software/service/support is not in question at all.

Here's my personal analysis: my subject matter criteria parallels your very closely, except I use a bit more strobe lighting than you. I went back into my files to compare usage between my H3D-II/31 (similar to the P30+), and H3D-II/39 (similar to the P45+). By far, the 31 meg 1.3X crop camera was the most used ... (which is why my 39 only has 2900 shots on it ). I have action shots from the H3D-II/31 that clients enlarged to 5 feet wide for trade show displays and they were spectacular!

Now my paying work has shifted away from studio/product, to even more people/event/portrait/fashion. So I cancelled my order for a H4/60, and next week should take delivery of my new 1.3X crop H4D/40 Had I not had the previous experience it would've been a less clear move for me ... not to mention that in the end, this upgrade cost me $5,000. instead of $19,000.

-Marc
    Last edited by fotografz; 28th March 2010 at 01:35.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, I think if I could afford it the H4D/40 would be on my most wanted list. It looks like a great improvement on previous models and I like many things about the "closed system," actually.

Seems where ever I ask, everyone says P30+ all the way though. Value for money and reliability rules these days.

T

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Hooray! for Pentax. Whenever it gets to the US market, it'll provide an entry level option into MFD for a lot of people who insist on buying new, but couldn't afford a current new MFD kit from Mamiya/Phase/Leaf or Hasselblad.

However, I think it'll have little to no effect on current customers of current systems. Beyond all the user expectations already established and mentioned by Guy and others, I doubt there are very many current MFD users willing to take a bath on their entire system investment to move to Pentax. Some may do it for a S2, because it's a Leica and is truly sexy and exclusive with unquestioned optics, but not many of those either ... as the cost of current system loss added the cost of the new system is absolutely ferocious.

Tim, depending on your actual applications, I wouldn't be put off by the 1.3X crop factor at all. IMO, these backs are the right choice for people, social documentary, and street photography ... especially if you tend toward available light. They are fast, offer a bit better ISO performance, and 28mm on them is wider than you may think.

I think the P30+ is exactly the right choice given your criteria and budget. Mamiya bodies are plentiful as are many of the lenses, and performance/software/service/support is not in question at all.

Here's my personal analysis: my subject matter criteria parallels your very closely, except I use a bit more strobe lighting than you. I went back into my files to compare usage between my H3D-II/31 (similar to the P30+), and H3D-II/39 (similar to the P45+). By far, the 31 meg 1.3X crop camera was the most used ... (which is why my 39 only has 2900 shots on it ). I have action shots from the H3D-II/31 that clients enlarged to 5 feet wide for trade show displays and they were spectacular!

Now my paying work has shifted away from studio/product, to even more people/event/portrait/fashion. So I cancelled my order for a H4/60, and next week should take delivery of my new 1.3X crop H4D/40 Had I not had the previous experience it would've been a less clear move for me ... not to mention that in the end, this upgrade cost me $5,000. instead of $19,000.

-Marc

I'm shocked but I also think it was a good choice. Since many things have shifted for you having a 40mpx will be perfect. It has plenty of horsepower and I think it will be more usable for what you are doing now. Good call

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Marc, I think if I could afford it the H4D/40 would be on my most wanted list. It looks like a great improvement on previous models and I like many things about the "closed system," actually.

Seems where ever I ask, everyone says P30+ all the way though. Value for money and reliability rules these days.

T
    Have to say it was a very long and hard decision for me which is rare plus I tested the P40 3 times before I actually traded up from the P30+ to the P40+. That should give you some indication how good the P30+ is. In the end i was after Sensor Plus mostly instead of investing in a Nikon which made more sense to me is having one solid system that did the work of two essentially for what I do.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm shocked but I also think it was a good choice. Since many things have shifted for you having a 40mpx will be perfect. It has plenty of horsepower and I think it will be more usable for what you are doing now. Good call
    Thanks Guy, your posts about 40 meg solutions, and seeing some of the results with the H4D/40 here on Get Dpi, made the move easier.

Ideally, I'd like to have both ... but in these times there simply is no way to indulge that extravagance ... besides I spent all the "extravagance cash" on building the ultimate Leica M9 kit, which I also have more use for ... or so I rationalize

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice to hear from folks that use this stuff and see results that makes sense. I agree it helps the buying decision. I know the folks here on this forum want to help and steer folks in the right direction. This is a lot of money and mistakes are deadly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Until the Pentax 645D actually makes it to the US, I still consider it vaporware. To me, the 645D is more comparable to the Leica S2, except that the Leica S2 is available now.

Because I already use an interchangeable back system, I have absolutely no interest in cameras like the 645D or S2. (though I invite more MF Digital manufacturers to join in the fun)

Phase MFDBs have a solid history of performance. And rather than guessing about future Pentax 645D *what ifs*, the Phase P30+ is a system that you can use right now--today.
    That Pentax have chosen to release it in Japan before the US is only to be expected. As others have correctly pointed out, Phase have an established support/retail network here, Pentax don't. But they do in Japan. So, for those who don't want to switch the back between cameras (and anybody considering a P30+ isn't going to be using it on a tech camera - at least not with shifts), and are looking to move into MFD, it would be sensible to consider the 645D when it appears in a couple of months time. Since Japan is a significant market for Phase/Leaf/Hasselblad, when the P645D appears they're going to have to adjust their pricing structure in order to protect their market share - which will be good for anyone, anywhere considering purchasing a competing Phase/Leaf back, such as the P30+, P40+ or Aptus II-8.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tim

Thought I’d jump in this conversation re the P30+ as I used one for well over a year shooting landscape and feel that I’d still be using it today were it not for the fact that I switched from a 645 body to a technical camera (Cambo WRS).

My first taste of what a P30 could do was a short visit by Ken when he and I shot slot canyons in Page AZ. Ken was kind enough to let me use it and I ended up ordering a P30+ shortly afterwards. We also coined the term if you touch it you buy it.

I used the P30+ in near blinding snow storms at the Grand Canyon, dust storms of the desert and took it with me to Alaska and past the Artic Circle without a moment’s trouble. I used the P30+ coupled with the Mamiya 28mm lens for great images. One of my best images is a two-shot pano using a Mamiya 35mm lens printed to 30x60.

It would a little more difficult for me now to choose between a P30+ and a P40 if I were in the same situation as I was then. I’ve got the history with the P30+ so I tend to lean towards that while at the same time I see and read what Guy has been able to do with the P40.

These are just a few of my thoughts on the P30+ while waiting for a second cup of coffee.

Don

Wanted to add these thoughts as well.

At the end of the day for me, I'm only interested in a rock solid system that can be used day in, day out without any drama. I think Mamiya / Phase is proven in this way.

Totally agree with you. This system is rock solid and proven in many ways by many people. I could say the same for Dave Gallagher and Capture Integration but I don’t want to give him too big a head.

The Pentax may very well become a rock solid system however the question is when….
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    That Pentax have chosen to release it in Japan before the US is only to be expected. As others have correctly pointed out, Phase have an established support/retail network here, Pentax don't. But they do in Japan. So, for those who don't want to switch the back between cameras (and anybody considering a P30+ isn't going to be using it on a tech camera - at least not with shifts), and are looking to move into MFD, it would be sensible to consider the 645D when it appears in a couple of months time. Since Japan is a significant market for Phase/Leaf/Hasselblad, when the P645D appears they're going to have to adjust their pricing structure in order to protect their market share - which will be good for anyone, anywhere considering purchasing a competing Phase/Leaf back, such as the P30+, P40+ or Aptus II-8.
    It's really hard to second guess what Phase or Hassy will do. I still don't see systems such as the Leica S2 or Pentax 645D as truly comparable to interchangeable back systems. They offer similar formats, but are very very differrent. Maybe we'll see Phase reintroduce the Mamiya ZD (the way it should be) if and when the 645D hits US shores.... It would have a line of D series lenses ready to go too. Leaf shutter even. Now that would be interesting.

As far as I can tell, both Leica and Pentax have only one lens available (Leica needs to release the others...). Sure you may be able to use your old Pentax mount lenses on the 645D, but I'm not so sure they'll hold up well to the new 6 micron sensors.... Both the S2 and Pentax 645D (still vaporware) are not truly mature systems, whereas Phase and Hassy both are established with lenses to match. The Leica S2 is way expensive but pretty. The Pentax 645D is inexpensive, but butt-ugly. Fingers-crossed it has a good personality...
    Last edited by kdphotography; 28th March 2010 at 09:14.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say it was a very long and hard decision for me which is rare plus I tested the P40 3 times before I actually traded up from the P30+ to the P40+. ....
    Hell, Guy. We all knew the P40+ was the right MFDB for you months before you pulled the trigger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well if you gave me a damn check it would have been a LOT easier. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can tell, both Leica and Pentax have only one lens available (Leica needs to release the others...).
    No Leica has actually 3 lens available - the 35 - 70 and 180 mm...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xpixel View Post
    No Leica has actually 3 lens available - the 35 - 70 and 180 mm...
    Excellent! When I shot the Leica S2 last month, only the 70mm was available...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Who actually has a Leica S 35 in their hands right now???
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P30+ questions - People just will not stand still...

P30+ People just will not stand still...

Read this post a couple of days ago so pulled the P30+ off the shelf and got outside with it.

The only problem I had was the people would just not stand still.

Mamiya Zoom 105-210mm , Iso 100, 1 second, F16 taken around dusk.

You can even see the leaves on the trees 100 meters away.

This amazed me that you can actually see into the cafe and the people sat at the tables.

Have had a lot of success with p30+. It just works without any issues.

Regards

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on this back. Now just gotta find a way to keep shooting on film, process AND save the money for the back. It has got to be done. I can't keep justifying the crazy costs of film processing in this country.

Post Thanks / Like

...the Pentax 645D is inexpensive, but butt-ugly...
    Ah, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder - not that I really spend much time thinking about the aesthetics of a camera - as Mike Johnston reveals in today's post ('The five most desirable cameras on the planet') from the Online Photographer:

Pentax 645D. This list originally just had four cameras on it. I had to add this one—forced to—even though it's not out yet and isn't planned be exported to Europe and America in any case. This body style and its wonderful controls have been burnished to perfection over several generations, and, assuming the sensor measures up, this thing on paper looks like the coolest camera ever made. Anyway the key word in this post is "desirable," and I want one.

Nice to see the 645D is generating interest. I hear the first reviews should be appearing over the next couple of weeks - look forward to reading them. Contrary to what Mike says, it can be ordered in the US and Europe, though not yet through Pentax dealers. Still, even Phase had to start somewhere, right?

Post Thanks / Like

.... The Leica S2 is way expensive but pretty. The Pentax 645D is inexpensive, but butt-ugly. Fingers-crossed it has a good personality...
    Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Ah, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder - not that I really spend much time thinking about the aesthetics of a camera - as Mike Johnston reveals in today's post ('The five most desirable cameras on the planet') from the [URL="http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html"]Online Photographer[/URL....
    Nice to see the 645D is generating interest. I hear the first reviews should be appearing over the next couple of weeks - look forward to reading them. Contrary to what Mike says, it can be ordered in the US and Europe, though not yet through Pentax dealers. Still, even Phase had to start somewhere, right?
    Well, I've never really been a butt-man, but I guess it's alright as long as it has a nice personality.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

an order placed ......

all hope has been abandoned.....

Just too easy with a dealer coming to Houston, and a back that needed upgraded.

The planets have aligned correctly, and this evening should be my last shoot with the ZD.

I will NOT miss the AFD-II not finding the film back, and the absolute need to get my 3rd small gridded strobe/hair light exposed spot on!

This was one of the threads that tipped the balance.

Of course those evil Phase One dealers will be bringing an IQ back with them

Dave