The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei 6000/Hy6/AFi lens samples

Rethmeier

Hi Eric,
I intend to stick with the 40+55PCS+80/2+90Apo+180/2.8
With the Longar 1.4x I sort of have a 2.8/112.
Not as sexy as the 110/2 though.
I did sell the 60(thanks)
The weight of those 5 Schneiders in my camera case is already back braking.
I'm glad the Hy6/75LV combo is light.
My eMotion-75LV left for a trip to Sinar to get the new and larger Oled screen put-in.
Actually Sinar will give me a totally new back.
Included is the new rotating adapter.
Can't wait!
Cheers,
Willem.

David K

Workshop Member
Willem,
Please let us hear your impressions of the new rotating adapter when you get your new back. Also if there is any improvement in IQ and higher ISO performance.
Thanks.

Rethmeier

Hi Billy,
my main reason for the selling of the 60,is that for my kind of work,the 55PCS is more useful.
Also,they are very close in focal length.
And of course the amount of lenses in my case.
I'm not a lens collector.

David,
I'll let you know how the new back performs with the rotating adapter.
Cheers,
Willem.

Graham Mitchell

I'm curious if anyone's lens shutter ever needed repairing or replacing, what the cost was.
Yes, I had one fail in a 40mm f3.5 lens, and the total bill incl shipping was about 900 EUR. You can't expect the same price for all problems though. Sometimes the shutter might be repairable, sometimes it might need total replacement. I tried many times to get a straight answer from Schneider about exactly what needed to be done and I never got one so I can't tell you what I got for my 900 EUR.

BJNY

It's always good to know what repair costs are
to help decide between a used lens and a lens with warranty.

EH21

Anyone know how many actuations the Rollei (seiko?) shutters are good for? I've already put like 5,000 frames on my 80/2.8 alone.

gogopix

Subscriber
As much as I appreciate samples here,
Need the raw! :) Preferably with a comparator that many may have. e.g. a HB 80 or 50 etc. After two pages of reading and looking at the flikr set I still have no idea what the lenses can do.

Short of raw, as Jack says, show here, show some full and crops. Yes it is an imposition but it all works out.

EH21

Tak Poon has put up a gallery of MTF charts for various Rollei lenses on photo.net. It's also a good resource when considering different optics. A couple of the scanned pages near the end have the legend on how the information is reported.

Graham, didn't you also post some MTF charts that were missing from Tak's collection?

Link here:http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=729924

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Eric
The reason I appreciate your samples, even sized down is that I dont do MTF charts!:D [See some of my comments on that and audio charts LOL]

What we see on the charts may have little to do with what the lens draws. This is still an art not a science, this lens designing.

I don't know what IS the best, I just know what I like and don't like. :)

Stuart Richardson

I compared the 80mm Tele-Xenar AF to the new 80mm AFD on a Leaf Aptus 75 and couldn't tell the difference at any aperture. I am not saying there isn't a difference (although the optics looked completely the same in the lenses...), but it certainly did not show up in the setup I shot. The only thing I noticed is that the new lens lacks an aperture ring, which I find unforgivable.
Anyway, here are some samples from the Rollei lenses...all on film, forgive me, I am behind the times.
180mm Tele-Xenar AF and 1.4 TC

180mm TX, maybe with 1.4 TC...I forget

180mm and 1.4 TC

180mm no converter:

150mm Sonnar HFT (the old one)

80mm f/2.8 AF:

By the way, that 80mm sample in no way indicates how sharp that lens is...it is very very sharp with nice bokeh.

Here is a sample of it with the 1.4 TC (hmm...I seem to be using it a lot, huh?)

I have more examples, but not much scanned right now...

gogopix

Subscriber
Stuart
Very nice examples of the lens' character and bokeh
very encouraging

do they hold up as well in the digital examples?

regards
Victor

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Victor. I don't know how they hold up on digital...the only thing I shot with the lenses was a basic tabletop setup, and in that the 80mm held up very well. I am sure the bokeh would not change very much if at all.

Graham Mitchell

Some rough samples (ignore inconsistent white balance):

Schneider 40mm f3.5 at f3.5

Schneider 40mm f3.5 at f8

Rollei 80mm f2.8 at f2.8

Rollei 80mm f2.8 at f8

Schneider 80mm f2 at f2

Schneider 80mm f2 at f2.8

Schneider 80mm f2 at f8

Zeiss 150mm f4 at f4

Zeiss 150mm f4 at f8

gogopix

Subscriber
Well I know this is an Hy6 thread/rollei, but it would be interesting to see some of the HC and HCD Hasselblad lenses for comparison.
My frequency is one 'revolution per day" and increasing (or is it decreasing?? :confused: ) between H3 and Hy6.

Now, having heard MS may be virtually useless for me, and seeing again lenses producing a real 'presence' it will come down I still believe to handling-I mostly 'handle' I was out there today with the R9/dmr and 105-280 with 1.4x and didnt worry. However, I longed for the 'feel' of the Contax. Yup, for me it is easier in the hand than a 35mmSLR The 645 form factor is really good and the weight gives far more stability hand held (and I have evidence in images, I just need to dig out.
So
currently H3D on top due to PRESUMED handling, and 'fun' factor (hey, we all like a new toy) anbd MAY have glass in my acceptable zone.
Hy6 has the glass, no doubt, but is 6x6.

forget all the rest; MS, fancy DAC, Rotating backs, whatever. These are both leaf shutter, AF slow shutter devices (its why I will keep the Contax 645)

BTW, can the leaf shutter be activated on the Hy6? I havent hear5d anyone say whetehr HB V lenses work on the Hy6/sinar?

anyway, I will not change my 'dominance' again till I feel the devices; H3D stays on top for now, with Hy6 lurcking to grab top spot (unless a lens IQ negative shows up and from what I have seen I doubt it.

With two guys with foto and z in their names at opposite camps, it really makes it tough!

T

thsinar

Victor,

why are you seeing the 6x6 format as a negative point?

The camera (body), the lenses (the current ALL cover the 6x6 format), all is ready for future larger sensors.

Thierry

Hy6 has the glass, no doubt, but is 6x6.