The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei 6000/Hy6/AFi lens samples

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor,

why are you seeing the 6x6 format as a negative point?

The camera (body), the lenses (the current ALL cover the 6x6 format), all is ready for future larger sensors.

Thierry
Of necessitry 6x6 needs to be 1/3 larger; mirror, back WLF etc. the 15mm have to go somewhere.

Whether it makes any difference in the FEEL is the question.

Victor

T

thsinar

Victor,

put a H system beside a Hy6 and compare, size and weight, and you shall be surprised: actually there is a pic on LL in one of the treads, with Contax, H3D and Sinar Hy6 shot side by side at various angles (khun_k).

Thierry

Of necessitry 6x6 needs to be 1/3 larger; mirror, back WLF etc. the 15mm have to go somewhere.

Whether it makes any difference in the FEEL is the question.

Victor

PeterA

The Hy6 is a very pretty camera to look at. The ergonomics are different between the two bodies - H and Hy6/Afi/Rollie. You will find that the viewfinder brightness is much better than your Contax on both cameras - which may help you manually focus better.

I do think though that you are looking at these systems as if you are still shooting 'film'. You have weighted too little on post shot work flow - be careful.

I am continuing to test the Contax system with its lowly P21 back - as far as I am concerned I am sufficiently impressed with the drawing difference between a few of the lenses to consider keeping it as a fun second system. This makes no sense from a rational point of view of course. IMHO the Contax bodies' aren't as good as H1 in terms of functionality and ease of use - but I do LOVE the faster shutter speeds and the quieter sound - but you woudl expect that from focal plane shutter.. Surprised at the relative dimness of the viewfinder in comparison to H.

If you are buying a second system - buy something which is sufficiently different to give you reasons to use it! LOL
I think you have a beautiful system with your BIG BOY P45+ on Contax - and am very surprised you re looking for something different /more.
You should tell the thread EXACTLY WHY you think you may need something different. This non-rational non utility perspective is just as interesting to me as practical considerations.

Good Luck and looking forward to your impressions.

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
I have a Maxwell improvement to my Contax viewfinder, about 2 stops, and it is really pretty good.
If the H's are better, I wonder if the screen magic stuff is un necessary.
and yes, the Contax is something I will keep, esp for fast shutter speeds and use of other lenses.

"Battle of the H's! " goes on :)

Stuart Richardson

For what it's worth, I love Maxwell Precision Optics and have one of their screens in my 203FE, but I did not find it necessary in the Rollei 6008 -- the High-D screens are superb as is -- extremely bright and easy to focus. I believe the same screen is used in the Hy6. The H series are quite bright, but they are no match for the Hy6 and Rollei because they are using a prism versus the waist level finder...I have not used the H series with a WLF, so I am not sure how it would compare...it would probably be comparable. I didn't really like the Hassie prism though...it felt like looking down a tunnel...a bright tunnel, but a tunnel nonetheless.

EH21

I've got a Maxwell Hi-Lux in my 6008 and agree with Stuart as far as brightness goes. It's only just a little bit brighter than the High-D Rollei screen not the 1-2 stops I got with my Leica R8 and Canon 5d screens he made. However my High-D screen was dished (ie. not flat) and that messed up focusing. My maxwell screen is flat.

The Hy6 I played with in the store seemed brighter than my 6008 with maxwell screen, so an improvement on an already great system.