Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's talk software

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Let's talk software

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    the phocus i downloaded two days a ago is 10.16b, that is still listed on hasselbladusa for registerd users
    The demo version was V10b13.

The latest public beta version is 1.0b16

Man, the new color control wheel under adjustments is something else. Fantastic!
    Last edited by fotografz; 24th April 2008 at 09:55.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW just got C1 4.1 beta today and now it can see my ZD files but everything is about a stop brighter than LR. Still playing around
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    BTW just got C1 4.1 beta today and now it can see my ZD files but everything is about a stop brighter than LR. Still playing around
    Guy - In C1 4, In the Quick Tab > Base Characteristics > Curve - The default is Film Standard.
    Try Linear Response. It will be less bright. It will also lose some "pop" but you can get it back by adding a simple curve in the Exposure Tab.

I find that many times Film Standard blows the highlights on some images so I will use Linear Response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With my H3D-39 and a dual quad core mac with a dedicated fast scratch drive and 10.5 here's my workflow (based on all of a month's experience): Import raw files to phocus saving the fff files to the scratch drive. Phocus is fast, given the file sizes, at importing and exporting. Responsiveness while editing, however, is quirky - I suspect that it has not yet been fully optimized for speed. So I limit edits in Phocus: I apply my defaults (sharpening and lens correction), toss out the shots of my shoes (I take a shot of nothing when I turn the camera on to make sure that it's alive and well), and correct any obvious exposure and white balance mishaps. I then export as DNGs with prophoto color space using my file naming conventions, to my current storage location. I copy the original 3frs to a subfolder in the same location, and backup. One of the many advantages of Phocus over Flexcolor is it's ability to export DNGs. I periodically clean the fff files off of the scratch drive.

I then use the DNGs in my Lightroom workflow. If images turn out to have noise (uncommon) or moire issues or need substantial exposure corrections I go back to Phocus to revise and export a new version. By stacking the moire-fixed and non-fixed versions of an image in PS and masking you can limit the application of anti-moire to the region that needs it.

The files stitch beautifully with the current version of PTGui (see my Central Park on another thread). I use Helicon Focus fairly frequently to extend depth of field - it works fine. These two software techniques provide most of the benefits of view camera tilts and shifts. I've tried various EDR techniques - Photomatix works fine technically, but I generally don't care for the EDR look.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    With my H3D-39 and a dual quad core mac with a dedicated fast scratch drive and 10.5 here's my workflow (based on all of a month's experience): Import raw files to phocus saving the fff files to the scratch drive. Phocus is fast, given the file sizes, at importing and exporting. Responsiveness while editing, however, is quirky - I suspect that it has not yet been fully optimized for speed. So I limit edits in Phocus: I apply my defaults (sharpening and lens correction), toss out the shots of my shoes (I take a shot of nothing when I turn the camera on to make sure that it's alive and well), and correct any obvious exposure and white balance mishaps. I then export as DNGs with prophoto color space using my file naming conventions, to my current storage location. I copy the original 3frs to a subfolder in the same location, and backup. One of the many advantages of Phocus over Flexcolor is it's ability to export DNGs. I periodically clean the fff files off of the scratch drive.

I then use the DNGs in my Lightroom workflow. If images turn out to have noise (uncommon) or moire issues or need substantial exposure corrections I go back to Phocus to revise and export a new version. By stacking the moire-fixed and non-fixed versions of an image in PS and masking you can limit the application of anti-moire to the region that needs it.

The files stitch beautifully with the current version of PTGui (see my Central Park on another thread). I use Helicon Focus fairly frequently to extend depth of field - it works fine. These two software techniques provide most of the benefits of view camera tilts and shifts. I've tried various EDR techniques - Photomatix works fine technically, but I generally don't care for the EDR look.
    Woody, you can export DNGs in Flexcolor. That's nothing new to Phocus.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy - Capture 4.1 Beta?????

I have the 3.7.8 Capture One Pro and 4.01 Capture One.

Do you have a link to the new Beta, I don't see it on their site? What is the difference to 4.01?

Ray

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I get this system up and running again I will let you know Ray. i am a beta tester for C1 also. There is more support for camera's for one. Here i think it is okay to post this part

This version 4.1 is not a replacement of the 3.7.x PRO version, so there will still be many advanced features not provided. Please don’t invest time sendings us features request on that.
    However you will find some feature targeted specially for the Phase One Back users, and specially on the The Phase One camera and Mamiya users.
    Other important features also for DSLR cameras including hot folder techniques and some new cameras being supported
    Further a number of issues from 4.0.1 have been fixed.

Digital Back related features
    Support for tethered Phase One Back support (excluding Live Preview – to come with later version)
    Chromatic lense correction and Purple fringe correction for Phase One backs and 645 and Mamiya cameras

General new features
    Hot folder - allowing you to do remote capture with 3rd party capture applications Like Canon, Nikon, etc.
    If you direct images into the Capture One selected hotfolder every new image will pop up as the selected image in thumbnail window and be shown in viewer window
    New cameras added:
    - Canon 450D
    - Nikon D60
    - Pentax K20D, K100Dsuper, K110D, K200D
    - Sony A200, A350
    - Mamiya ZD
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com