Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 57

Thread: Let's talk software

  1. #1
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Let's talk software

    Well as a MF digital newbie. LOL

    I am trying to sort my way around all the systems and what software doe's what . I know there are some missing pieces here i am trying to figure out.

    One is Raw processing and the other is tethered. Now myself having three systems the last thing I want is three or more software programs to run and learn. I truly believe in keeping it simple , so what goes where.

    First let's go by systems and what I know than maybe others can fill in the blanks.

    Mamiya ZD. Raw processing LR and ACR and ? Tethered I can use LR and supplied Mamiya capture which i have yet to look at.

    Hassy backs: Raw Processing Flexcolor and what else
    Tethered ?

    Leaf backs: Leaf Capture for Raw and tehered ? and What else can we use

    Sinar. Okay I am lost here

    Phase backs . Capture One both Raw and Tethered..

    Now if you noticed i am lost here. I need some help trying to figure what works with what and will like Capture one see leaf files and My Zd is not supported at this time when will that happen. Just a example but how can we mix it up


    So I would love to hear from each corner what you guy's are using and maybe some highlights to it. Frankly this is just as important as the backs themselves in my mind . I would like to get my arms around this better as I start planning my game plan down the road.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  2. #2
    Workshop Member Joseph Ramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Let's talk software

    Guy I have been playing around with Phocus for Hasselblad since the beta was released and I like it. It is also better than Flexcolor shooting tethered.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Let's talk software

    Leaf has Capture - but also ( if you arent shooting tethered)
    Adobe CS/ Lightroom /Aperture etc etc all open the Leaf raw files ...
    Leaf has a very open system to alternative raw processors...
    Last edited by PeterA; 21st April 2008 at 23:29.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Sinar: Exposure is used for tethered shooting and importing images from the DB. Raw files are saved in DNG format. You can process the raw file in Exposure and export as TIFF or JPEG, or you can switch to your favourite raw processing package and open the DNGs there.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Hasselblad currently has 2 software programs: Flexcolor and Phocus.

    Flexcolor was/is imacon's older program that morphed from what was basically a scanner program. For all practical purposes and decision making, this program should be ignored.

    Phocus is the current and future processing software. It's currently in Beta form, but is already in wide spread use. The user interface bears a striking resemblance to Lightroom ... which is no surprise giving that some developers of Lightroom were employed on Phocus.

    Hasselblad's current 3FR and FFF (the older file format still in use) are currently directly supported by Phocus and Apple OSX10.5.2/Aperture 2. Wether that collaborative aspect will eventually extend to Adobe remains to be seen.

    However, you can use Phocus as an editing browser, and select the option to convert any or all files to DNGs for processing in Adobe Lightroom or PSCS3. The conversion to DNGs is extremely fast.

    Most importantly, Phocus is an extension of Hasselblad's philosophy of integrated systems. For example, the mapping data for it's lenses are incorporated to allow automatic DAC corrections: so things like Distortion, Chromatic Aberrations and Vignetting are automatically corrected by specific lens when selecting the DAC option. This is no gimmick, it's actually quite amazing. The new Moire' correction in Phocus is getting rave reviews from professional photographers, as are the new noise correction options.

    It is generally agreed by users that the maximum IQ is obtained by using Flexcolor or Phocus (many users of the DMR saw this in action when processing their DNG files in Flexcolor.) Even in Beta form, Phocus is a very fast and intuitive workflow. For a more general workflow, Aperture can be used directly, or DNGs directly in LR/PSCS3 or any other Processing engine supporting the DNG file format. As with most propritary MF RAW programs, Phocus is optimized for the specific backs in use.

    Tethered:

    all current Hasselbald backs, including the CFV, are firewire 800 interface and transfer rates to the Phocus screen are quick even in Beta form. Dual screen use is supported, so you can have thumbnails on one screen and a full resolution preview filling the other screen. Live view video feed is available as are a multitude of other features like: overlay imports so you can match a shot to an Art Directors' Layout ... or automatic micro focus when using AF while tethered ... and audio feed back for focusing manually when using live video tethered to a viewcamera.

    I've also used Capture One and Leaf Capture, but have not used the Sinar program.

  6. #6
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Let's talk software

    My Sinar rep tells me that the new Exposure software now incorporates the Brumbaer code which seems to be universally well regarded. For me, once the file is in DNG format it's going thru Aperture on it's way to Photoshop.

  7. #7
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Let's talk software

    This looks like a nice road map to what each system can do it software.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Sinar: You can process the raw file in Exposure and export as TIFF or JPEG,
    I thought eXposure couldn't export to JPEG, yet?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    My Sinar rep tells me that the new Exposure software now incorporates the Brumbaer code which seems to be universally well regarded.
    From the horse's mouth:
    http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...dpost&p=180654

  10. #10
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    I thought eXposure couldn't export to JPEG, yet?
    Yes it can, and I just exported one to be sure

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Then, I stand corrected, thanks Graham.

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Can someone walk through a brief work flow with a Sinar Back. Sinar is a contender for use on my Hasselblad 203FE and 503CWs ... but as Guy said, software is almost as important as the back itself.

    Pretty please.

  13. #13
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Let's talk software

    I think this is a excellent thread myself and something we really don't talk about . Workflow to me is paramount to getting my work done on a timely manner. We all don't get paid to sit behind a computer all day and process. Life and digital has made it more complex and working with software is a major concern to our work. Would love to hear more on workflow with different systems and software so you can base buying decisions in part to this area. I feel this is very important in what we do.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  14. #14
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Can someone walk through a brief work flow with a Sinar Back.
    UNTETHERED:

    - Shoot images untethered
    - Connect back to a Mac running Exposure
    - Import selected or all images to a local directory
    - Images are now saved as DNG files in that directory
    - Use Exposure or raw developer of choice to export TIFFs

    TETHERED:

    - Connect back to Mac running Exposure
    - Images will be saved as DNG files in selected directory
    - Use Exposure or raw developer of choice to export TIFFs

    I choose to develop a linear 16 bit file from Exposure and apply a curve layer and any other changes in Photoshop. YMMV.

  15. #15
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Let's talk software

    apparently Phocus beta is only available for the mac

  16. #16
    Subscriber gogopix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    I had no trouble opening Graham's dng from sinar 54 directly in C1 4

    it actually looked quite good!

    hoever the older 3.7.8 was a no go. didnt even see it

    Victor

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Can someone walk through a brief work flow with a Sinar Back. Sinar is a contender for use on my Hasselblad 203FE and 503CWs ... but as Guy said, software is almost as important as the back itself.

    Pretty please.
    Sinar a contender for you? .... I think your decision has already been made but you just don't know it yet The fact that the Sinar backs will allow you to use your 203 and 503 gear will eat away at you until you actually make the purchase.

    As far as the workflow is concerned, it is pretty much as Graham outlined. The only restriction so far is that the software to process the raw images is currently for Mac only, with a PC version to be available "soon" (but this probably does not matter to you).

    The eXposure software still has some quirks on Leopard. An alternative workflow that works now without a hitch is to use the software from Stephen Brumbaer (also Mac only). Basically, you can select/reject images from his reader tool and copy them onto your desktop. You can then drag and drop directories of images into his DNG converter, which will automatically batch convert the images to DNG format, and it is smart enough to use the latest white balance reference contained in the directory.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Except, a DNG created by Brumbaer is not visible by eXposure.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    UNTETHERED:

    - Shoot images untethered
    - Connect back to a Mac running Exposure
    - Import selected or all images to a local directory
    - Images are now saved as DNG files in that directory
    - Use Exposure or raw developer of choice to export TIFFs

    .... YMMV.
    This is correct if you shoot untethered without a CF card.

    If you choose to shoot to a CF card, then you do not need to connect the back to a computer. BUT, you must import the images from the CF card with eXposure via a CF card reader. If you copy the contents of the CF card to the desktop first, eXposure will not be able to read it from there. This is a very annoying behavior, which was present even with the older CaptureShop software from Sinar.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    Except, a DNG created by Brumbaer is not visible by eXposure.
    Right now, at least, eXposure is so crippled in Leopard that it does not matter.

    The DNG from Brumbaer is readable by all other software, including Lightroom, ACR, C1, and Aperture. So, if eXposure cannot read it, one would have to wonder why.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Right now, at least, eXposure is so crippled in Leopard that it does not matter.
    You might be being very unfair to Sinar. I am running Exposure on Leopard (10.5.2) and haven't had any problems except for one small bug which is easily worked around. It's running just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    The DNG from Brumbaer is readable by all other software, including Lightroom, ACR, C1, and Aperture. So, if eXposure cannot read it, one would have to wonder why.
    Does Exposure read any DNG files at all apart from its own? I haven't tried. It is not designed to be a general purpose raw developer, afaik, so it probably looks at the metadata first. Just my guess.

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Here's a little tip for Leaf Tethered Shooters:

    Open Leaf Capture, select the "preview current shot" display window ... but close the browser window.

    Make a desktop file destination, open PSCS3 and select that file folder, and use Bridge as your Leaf Browser.

    It's fast, and allows you to open a select file right in ACR for inspection/correction ... even batch sets of shots, which beats the hell out of the corrections available in Leaf Capture ... especially exposure controls. ACR directly supports, and is extremely friendly to, Leaf CMOS files.

  23. #23
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    Sinar eXposure:

    Tethered or un-tethered, eXposure writes DNG files which can be read by all usual applications supporting the DNG format (LR, ACR, Raw Developer, Aperture, C1 etc...).

    At the same time, and from eXposure, you can currently export TIF and JPG files.

    Cannot be more simple, IMO.

    Best regards,
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I am trying to sort my way around all the systems and what software doe's what . I know there are some missing pieces here i am trying to figure out.
    Sinar. Okay I am lost here
    Last edited by thsinar; 22nd April 2008 at 15:42.

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    UNTETHERED:

    - Shoot images untethered
    - Connect back to a Mac running Exposure
    - Import selected or all images to a local directory
    - Images are now saved as DNG files in that directory
    - Use Exposure or raw developer of choice to export TIFFs

    TETHERED:

    - Connect back to Mac running Exposure
    - Images will be saved as DNG files in selected directory
    - Use Exposure or raw developer of choice to export TIFFs

    I choose to develop a linear 16 bit file from Exposure and apply a curve layer and any other changes in Photoshop. YMMV.
    Could you provide a little more detail Graham?

    Specifically, what does the tethered work flow look like ... I work with two 30" monitors side-by-side ... browser on one window, full screen preview of the current shot on the other. This allows me to be at the camera and see what I'm getting from a distance. As I shoot, the browser fills up and the last shot appears quickly in the preview window. Is it the same with the Sinar software?

    Help me understand the file quality ... the back captures to a propritary file format, but that is translated into a DNG file format behind the scenes ... so you never get the original file format? Is the transfer to DNG something that slows down tethered speed?

    Also, read my post where I provide a tip to Leaf users ... I wonder if a work flow like that could be used with a Sinar back? Basically, you'd shoot to a desk top file destination, open that file folder in Bridge and use PSCS3 Bridge as the tethered Browser ... so all you'd need is a large preview window of the current shot.

  25. #25
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    David,

    eXposure is absolutely stable with Leopard, from what I have heard from the feedback of users and from my own use experience. Yes, it does have some bugs, like all SW, but those are already fixed and integrated in the next version which will be released in a couple of weeks.

    But yes, the Brumbaer tools are also an alternative for a workflow which was essentially meant for architecture users.

    Best regards,
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post

    The eXposure software still has some quirks on Leopard. An alternative workflow that works now without a hitch is to use the software from Stephen Brumbaer (also Mac only). Basically, you can select/reject images from his reader tool and copy them onto your desktop. You can then drag and drop directories of images into his DNG converter, which will automatically batch convert the images to DNG format, and it is smart enough to use the latest white balance reference contained in the directory.
    Last edited by thsinar; 22nd April 2008 at 15:43.

  26. #26
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    Not YET!

    All DNG files will be readable and it is on our priority list.

    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    Except, a DNG created by Brumbaer is not visible by eXposure.

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    Sinar eXposure:

    Tethered or un-tethered, eXposure writes DNG files which can be read by all usual applications supporting the DNG format (LR, ACR, Raw Developer, Aperture, etc...).

    At the same time, and from eXposure, you can currently export TIF and JPG files.

    Cannot be more simple, IMO.

    Best regards,
    Thierry
    I think that is understood, but how is the tethered work flow as you are shooting? LR, ACR, etc, don't provide automatic large previews. I don't want to have to open a shot to preview it full resolution after each shot. How does the Sinar software provide an instant preview as you shoot?

    BTW, thanks for your patience and all the info.

  28. #28
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    NOT TRUE, David.

    As long as the folder structure is kept as it was in the internal memory, respectively in the CF card, you can put/save your eMotion files on the desktop in a folder. Thereafter you can just select this folder in eXposure, the content will be displayed, you can select them in the contact sheet and drag them in any folder of your choice in the browser to store/save them as DNG files.

    One little thing to do: when dragging the files, press the "SHIFT" key at the same time!

    Best regards,
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    This is correct if you shoot untethered without a CF card.

    If you choose to shoot to a CF card, then you do not need to connect the back to a computer. BUT, you must import the images from the CF card with eXposure via a CF card reader. If you copy the contents of the CF card to the desktop first, eXposure will not be able to read it from there. This is a very annoying behavior, which was present even with the older CaptureShop software from Sinar.

  29. #29
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    the DNG from eXposure is readable from all other software, including LR, ACR, C1, Aperture, Camera Raw, etc ...

    What do you mean with "crippled"? Could you emphasize?

    Thanks and best regards,
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Right now, at least, eXposure is so crippled in Leopard that it does not matter.

    The DNG from Brumbaer is readable by all other software, including Lightroom, ACR, C1, and Aperture. So, if eXposure cannot read it, one would have to wonder why.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    As I shoot, the browser fills up and the last shot appears quickly in the preview window. Is it the same with the Sinar software?
    Yes. I can't comment on the 2 monitor setup though. I don't have two monitors to try it with.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Help me understand the file quality ... the back captures to a propritary file format, but that is translated into a DNG file format behind the scenes ... so you never get the original file format? Is the transfer to DNG something that slows down tethered speed?
    This is a technical curiosity and not really an issue. The speed seems fine and I can't say whether the data is altered in any way or just 'repackaged'. What matters is the end result.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Also, read my post where I provide a tip to Leaf users ... I wonder if a work flow like that could be used with a Sinar back?
    It isn't necessary. I think Exposure does all you need.

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Yes. I can't comment on the 2 monitor setup though. I don't have two monitors to try it with.

    This is a technical curiosity and not really an issue. The speed seems fine and I can't say whether the data is altered in any way or just 'repackaged'. What matters is the end result.

    It isn't necessary. I think Exposure does all you need.
    Thanks.

    Capture speed is often very important in the studio, which is why I asked if conversion to DNG at the software stage slows down the high res preview.

    For awhile Hasselbald used DNG right from the camera (H2D/22) but had to abandon it when introducing the 39 meg version because it slowed everything down. Sinar appears to make the conversion at the software stage where computing power is far greater depending on how it's configured I guess ... but it still has to do a conversion. Maybe it's just the same and all software has to generate a preview. The previous Flexcolor previews were horrible because they were generated from small files. Phocus has fixed that completely and it's still very fast.

    From experiences to date, I'm not completely sold on DNGs as the primary RAW format, nor on any of the 3rd party solutions like LR and PSCS3 as the primary software ... but I suppose it depends on how custom tailored the Sinar DNG conversion is.

    Can someone FTP a Sinar DNG file to me ... pretty please?

    [email protected]

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    the DNG from eXposure is readable from all other software, including LR, ACR, C1, Aperture, Camera Raw, etc ...

    What do you mean with "crippled"? Could you emphasize?

    Thanks and best regards,
    Thierry
    Thierry,

    I did not say that the DNG from eXposure is not readable from all other softeware. BJNY reported that the DNG from Brumbaer was readable by all other software, but not eXposure. Please read above posts carefully.

    By crippled, I mean that eXposure is not robust on my 4GB Macbook pro running the latest version of Leopard. It just is not working correctly, and on my system it cannot even zoom the thumbnails to 100%.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    NOT TRUE, David.

    As long as the folder structure is kept as it was in the internal memory, respectively in the CF card, you can put/save your eMotion files on the desktop in a folder. Thereafter you can just select this folder in eXposure, the content will be displayed, you can select them in the contact sheet and drag them in any folder of your choice in the browser to store/save them as DNG files.

    One little thing to do: when dragging the files, press the "SHIFT" key at the same time!

    Best regards,
    Thierry
    It is true on my system (brand new vanilla 4GB Macbook Pro running latest Leopard version). I copied the folder structure EXACTLY onto the desktop. When selected, eXposure does not even show me a contact sheet and indicates zero images. However, when selecting the IDENTICAL directory on the CF card, it does recognize the images and show me acontact sheet.....but then, none of the images can be zoomed.

    First, I love the Sinar back and really do not need eXposure. The eXposure software is just not as robust as the other software. I never have/had any such problems with Phase C1, Adobe Lightroom/ACR, Leaf Capture, nor Hasselblad Flexcolor.

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    You might be being very unfair to Sinar. I am running Exposure on Leopard (10.5.2) and haven't had any problems except for one small bug which is easily worked around. It's running just fine.
    Graham, maybe I am harsh but not unfair. I have worked with all of the other vendor software, Flexcolor, C1, Leaf Capture, Adobe stuff, etc. They all had some issues, but none have been as bad as with eXposure for me.

    Please try the following:

    1. Make sure both Captureshop and eXposure are installed on your machine.
    2. Format CF card in Sinarback, and shoot only to CF card (no use of internal memory)
    3. Put the CF card into a CF card reader and copy EXACTLY the contents of the CF card to your desktop.
    4. Open eXposure and point to folder on desktop and make sure you can manipulate all images (like zooming, cropping , etc.) ... and process the images to something like tif or jpg.
    5. Now take the card out of the reader, and put it back into the Sinarback
    6. Reformat card in Sinarback, and again shoot only to CF card as before.
    7. Again, put the CF card into your card reader and copy EXACTLY the contents of the CF card to your desktop, WITHOUT adding to the existing directory that you created in step 3 above.
    8. Again, process this new directory of images like before.
    9. Now, try to go back and re-work the images in the first directory from the first shoot.

    Please let me know how you do. Thanks.

  35. #35
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    As an information, David:

    Although generating DNGs, the original (and absolute) raws from the back are at your disposal any time, thus the ".IA" and ".BR" files.

    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Thanks.

    From experiences to date, I'm not completely sold on DNGs as the primary RAW format, nor on any of the 3rd party solutions like LR and PSCS3 as the primary software ... but I suppose it depends on how custom tailored the Sinar DNG conversion is.

    Can someone FTP a Sinar DNG file to me ... pretty please?

    [email protected]

  36. #36
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    Sorry David!

    I did not misread, but mistype: I wanted to add that this possibility of eXposure will be implemented very soon.

    It is quite strange that it is behaving in a "crippled" way on your Mac: may be a trashing of the old Captureshop preferences can solve the issue.

    You should be able to zoom-in without any problem.

    Could you report more precisely when speaking about "robust"? Does it crash?

    Your feedback would help.

    Thanks Thierry




    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Thierry,

    I did not say that the DNG from eXposure is not readable from all other softeware. BJNY reported that the DNG from Brumbaer was readable by all other software, but not eXposure. Please read above posts carefully.

    By crippled, I mean that eXposure is not robust on my 4GB Macbook pro running the latest version of Leopard. It just is not working correctly, and on my system it cannot even zoom the thumbnails to 100%.

  37. #37
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    This is a strange thing:

    Are you sure that there is no single file missing from all the files you have on your CF or internal memory?

    I would like to investigate this in detail and report: please by by trashing all the Captureshop preferences.

    Thanks,
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    It is true on my system (brand new vanilla 4GB Macbook Pro running latest Leopard version). I copied the folder structure EXACTLY onto the desktop. When selected, eXposure does not even show me a contact sheet and indicates zero images.

  38. #38
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Graham, maybe I am harsh but not unfair. I have worked with all of the other vendor software, Flexcolor, C1, Leaf Capture, Adobe stuff, etc. They all had some issues, but none have been as bad as with eXposure for me.

    Please try the following:

    1. Make sure both Captureshop and eXposure are installed on your machine.
    2. Format CF card in Sinarback, and shoot only to CF card (no use of internal memory)
    3. Put the CF card into a CF card reader and copy EXACTLY the contents of the CF card to your desktop.
    4. Open eXposure and point to folder on desktop and make sure you can manipulate all images (like zooming, cropping , etc.) ... and process the images to something like tif or jpg.
    5. Now take the card out of the reader, and put it back into the Sinarback
    6. Reformat card in Sinarback, and again shoot only to CF card as before.
    7. Again, put the CF card into your card reader and copy EXACTLY the contents of the CF card to your desktop, WITHOUT adding to the existing directory that you created in step 3 above.
    8. Again, process this new directory of images like before.
    9. Now, try to go back and re-work the images in the first directory from the first shoot.

    Please let me know how you do. Thanks.
    Hi David, when I say you are being unfair I mean that you are reviewing a product based on one corrupted installation. It is not a problem with the software per se, or it would not work for anyone and clearly most users are having no problems. Your problem might be fixed with a complete uninstallation and then a new installation.

    As for the test, I am very busy until the weekend at least and won't have time. If you still have this problem and need me to test it next week, please PM me then.

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Thierry and Graham,

    OK, I will do clean re-installs of everything and report back.

  40. #40
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    David,

    I have to apologize because I did a mistake yesterday in my explanation/claim.

    You HAVE TO import the ".IA" & ".BR" files via CF card or via the internal back memory.

    It is NOT YET possible to copy them into a folder on your HD and then read them via eXposure directly. You can copy them again on a CF card, then read them with a CF card reader and import/save them as DNGs in eXposure.

    Sorry for my misunderstanding and wrong information.

    Best regards,
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Thierry and Graham,

    OK, I will do clean re-installs of everything and report back.

  41. #41
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Let's talk software

    i tried out the phocus on my macbookpro; the viewer is so much superior to flexcolor. is is very similar to Lightroom, but missing a few extras.

    Unfortunately, my big machine, where I have the Eizo monitor and my printer, is a PC and my mac is the home unit or maybe the tether commander. Marc: do you expect hassey to make a pc version when out of beta?

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i tried out the phocus on my macbookpro; the viewer is so much superior to flexcolor. is is very similar to Lightroom, but missing a few extras.

    Unfortunately, my big machine, where I have the Eizo monitor and my printer, is a PC and my mac is the home unit or maybe the tether commander. Marc: do you expect hassey to make a pc version when out of beta?
    RE: PC ...I have no idea.

    But the "real" public Beta is now available. The one we've been using is the demonstration version ... not the actual Beta. I got the announcement today.

    It looks like there is more stuff to it especially in the color controls ... I'm going to download it now and play. Stay tuned.

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Let's talk software

    Thanks for that Marc I will update as well... It is with a great amount of happiness that I can now enjoy a decent work flow from both Hasselblad and Phase One. Phocus will be a killer app for 'blad.

  44. #44
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Can someone FTP a Sinar DNG file to me ... pretty please?

    [email protected]
    Sent you a file via yousendit.com. Just a VERY rough image to give you something to play with. Taken with e54LV and Exposure.

    If anyone else wants it, download it here (limited time):
    http://download.yousendit.com/3472F5E663A56F18

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Sent you a file via yousendit.com. Just a VERY rough image to give you something to play with. Taken with e54LV and Exposure.

    If anyone else wants it, download it here (limited time):
    http://download.yousendit.com/3472F5E663A56F18
    Thank you Graham!

    It's downloading now. My interest isn't in replacing my Hasselblad digital system, but instead making use of the complete V system I already own. I need a back-up MF digital solution anyway, and it can be anything ... so why not one that'll work on the 203FE?

  46. #46
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Sent you a file via yousendit.com. Just a VERY rough image to give you something to play with. Taken with e54LV and Exposure.

    If anyone else wants it, download it here (limited time):
    http://download.yousendit.com/3472F5E663A56F18
    Okay, downloaded and opened in CS3/ACR. A few questions if you don't mind.

    This was from a 22 meg back with 9X9 micron pixes ... which I think is exactly what I want for use on the 203FE ...

    How does the e54LV differ from the new 54MC? I assume they are both tethered backs ... which isn't what I need for the 203FE ... which brings me to the eMotion22. But your file shows what the 22 meg back produces @ ISO 50, so that helped.

    However, when I look at the specs of the eMotion22 on the SinarBron site, it lists it as offering ISO 25 to 200. This simply won't cut it for mobile use with the 203FE ... I need at least a GOOD ISO of 400 ( and ISO 800 would be helpful) to keep the shutter speed up.

    This pushes me into the eMotion75 ... and now we're into some real money ... LOL.

    Also, I am still paranoid about the Sinar working on the 203 when FE lenses are used. I know the CF lenses will work, the 203 will also work with a Hasselblad CF back ... but only with CF lenses mounted and in the leaf shutter mode.

  47. #47
    Subscriber robsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    496

    Re: Let's talk software

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    But the "real" public Beta is now available. The one we've been using is the demonstration version ... not the actual Beta. I got the announcement today.
    .
    Marc:

    I just downloaded it from the Hasselblad site, but it seems to be version 10b13, which is the same as the one I downloaded a week ago. Is there a newer version?


    Robert

  48. #48
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Let's talk software

    Marc,

    I will try to answer, if you don't mind.

    - the SB 54M or 54 MC (cooled) is a 22 Mpx digital back which can be used only tethered (Kodak sensor), without display.
    - the Sinarback eMotion 54 LV (or previously eMotion 22) is a different and newer generation of back, with a 22 Mpx sensor from Dalsa, with a display and controls on the back. This eMotion backs can be used un-tethered and tethered, they have an internal hard-state memory of 4 GB, as well as a slot for the use with CF cards. They work with a battery giving an autonomy of 2.5 to 3 hours shooting. As such, this cannot be compared with the SB 54 M/MC.
    - the previous eMotion 22 was using the same sensor as the current eMotion 54 LV: it has been discontinued and replaced by the eMotion 54 LV, with Live Video capability and with a new electronic board. The ISO range was effectively from 25 to 200 with the eMotion 22, and is from ISO 50 to 400 with the eMotion 54 LV.
    - the eMotion is capable of good ISO 400: I guess Graham has already published some sample files elsewhere, if I am right.

    I hope this helps and clarifies.

    Best regards,
    Thierry


    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

    How does the e54LV differ from the new 54MC? I assume they are both tethered backs ... which isn't what I need for the 203FE ... which brings me to the eMotion22. But your file shows what the 22 meg back produces @ ISO 50, so that helped.

    However, when I look at the specs of the eMotion22 on the SinarBron site, it lists it as offering ISO 25 to 200. This simply won't cut it for mobile use with the 203FE ... I need at least a GOOD ISO of 400 ( and ISO 800 would be helpful) to keep the shutter speed up.

    This pushes me into the eMotion75 ... and now we're into some real money ... LOL.

    Also, I am still paranoid about the Sinar working on the 203 when FE lenses are used. I know the CF lenses will work, the 203 will also work with a Hasselblad CF back ... but only with CF lenses mounted and in the leaf shutter mode.

  49. #49
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Let's talk software

    the phocus i downloaded two days a ago is 10.16b, that is still listed on hasselbladusa for registerd users

  50. #50
    Subscriber robsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    496

    Re: Let's talk software

    I just figured it out. You have to log in to get the latest version.

    I am a bit off topic because I am trying to use it with DMR files. It wil read them but the output looks nothing like in the Phocus application. I think it is using the Hasselblad RGB.icc profile, rather than the DMR one that Flexcolor uses.

    Anybody figure out how to change the input profiles? In other words, if you have a custom profile for your particular back and shooting conditions.

    Where did the Auto button that was in Flexcolor get to. It is a bt slower dragging around the points on the histogram by hand.

    Robert
    Last edited by robsteve; 24th April 2008 at 09:17.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •