The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D/40 First Impressions

T

tetsrfun

The new H3D profile in LR B3.2 seems very accurate with regards to color...something I have not seen from Adobe's canned profiles for this camera prior to this point.
That was my impression until I shot my "reference" photo....a portion of a book-case using available light. At least with my reference, LR still isn't getting the "reds" right, at least in adverse light. The only correction was "eye-dropper" WB and a boost in exposure and crop. LR-3.2, LR-2.7, Phocus 2.1 (My test methodology may be cr*p, also)

Steve

Last edited:

fotografz

The new H3D profile in LR B3.2 seems very accurate with regards to color...something I have not seen from Adobe's canned profiles for this camera prior to this point.
That was my impression until I shot my "reference" photo....a portion of a book-case using available light. At least with my reference, LR still isn't getting the "reds" right, at least in adverse light. The only correction was "eye-dropper" WB and a boost in exposure and crop. LR-3.2, LR-2.7, Phocus 2.1 (My test methodology may be cr*p, also)

Steve
Huh?

The most obvious difference between the first one (LR-3.2), and the last one (Phocus-2.1), seems to be one of exposure value.

I would think that a "color" test like this should be done processing the same properly exposed, in-camera manual white balanced file in both programs.

I tend to agree that LR 3.2 shows great promise ... and it isn't even optimized yet. Some of the time I have great difficulty telling files done in either program apart ... but I manually WB almost all of the time, and used the grip custom functions to assigned the stop-down-button to swiftly do that task.

However, I use Phocus for anything shot with the 28 and 50 to a CF card to use DAC, and obviously all images shot tethered. The same will hold true for the HTS/1.5 I ordered for delivery early next week. I also find it a bit easier to alter a color cast in Phocus when I didn't manually WB or want to creatively alter it.

LRs greatest asset is it's non-distructive processing, area specific tools to make exposure and color alterations, and instant access to PS and stuff like Nik Define 2.

-Marc

Marc... just "played" with the H4D at an event here in Chicago. Just.Plain.Wow!!

Congrats. I loved it for the 5 minutes I shot a few models with it. Must figure out how to get one of these!