The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filters in the field

Anders_HK

Sure. Keep this one under your hat. :D

First it is a P30+ ISO 100 1/2 second F16 28mm lens

Here is the original image without anything done. What I did at the time of shooting since this is very early morning was use a Elinchrom Quadra pack with 400 ws with a open flash to lighten up the foreground so i could keep the exposure for the sky without blowing and also add in needed light to the rocks and foliage. The rest of the process is all done in C1 with raw processing and this is the stuff we teach on the workshops is how to pull this all together in C1 with all the tools available including maybe one of the most important ones color editor. Here you can select a color and fine tune the exact color or actually spread the base of that color to different tones in that same color. This allows very fine control over the images and i can select any and all colors in the image and fine tune them to my specs or taste.

Now what you are not seeing on your monitors that are not wide gamut is simply put a compressed version of the color space ( srgb). What I see even in the deepest shadows and highlights is a complete tonal range that matches the Adobe RGB color space. Now when i am looking at my MF files i am seeing basically the complete visual image of the full color space these backs can capture. Also this will match the RGB color space of the printer. So no guessing pretty much although the backs is still wider than the printer it is much closer visually to the printer than working with a SRGB monitor like a ACD 30 let's say. If I did a B&W step wedge I could actually count the steps. With a SRGB monitor it would be a lot more compressed range.

Hope that helps. This is the original file coming into C1 before any raw processing. So basic lesson here learn how to raw process. Pick one you like as far as software and stick with it. As you can see what it was and what it is . I can't drill this one home enough but you also need to get it to the sensor first so you can work it.
Guy,

Thanks for a very good explanation. I do same in Capture 1 5.1.1 approach being new to C1. Actually for my Leaf Aptus C1 has given me impression of having a new camera. More Leaf users should try it. Unlike Camera Raw C1 feels as an extension of my brain (=less technical thought more focus on art). Leaf have their ICC profiles included in C1 5.1.1, intended for portrait but they work with interesting colors etc also for landscapes. I would assume that C1 has for Phase One for their backs also.

It appears that I will have to consider one of those monitors in near future! :D

If I can give one suggestion in return and for others reading; considering the fact that we are for fact attempting recreate the light and color from the raw files, one place to learn is from painting arts. I am on my choice of #2 book of 5 of painting. This does not mean that I am painting, but there are parallels to painted art and processing RAW.

Again thanks!

Regards
Anders

Last edited: