The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod question

mark1958

I am considering a new GItzo tripod and have narrowed it between the Gitzo GT5531S and GT3531S. I want to know in terms of medium format if the 5531S is overkill. I still have a Canon with 500mm lens and realize the 5531 is probably better for long lens shooting but since i am not using that lens often trying to figure out if there is any advantage in the MF arena.

MMPhoto

Hi Mark,

I had a Gitzo tripod for over 14 years model G 410 with the geared collum G 526. Originally purchase for my sinar P2 with the sinar pan tilt head, that is overkill if you ask me.

These days I use it for My DSLR Nikon or my Hasselbeld with the Manfrotto head # 029, the thing I notice about Gitzo is that pound for pound it is a better platform to work from, never slip or slid on it's legs. It goes higher and lower then the equivalent from Manfrotto.

Don't get me wrong Manfrotto make good plaforms, accept Gitzo makes it a lot better and simpler to use, there is no need to over tight the locks on a Gitzo. I am sure that you will be very please with a Gitzo platform to set your cameras on.

doc4x5

I use a 3530S carbon Gitzo with an Arca Swiss 4x5 (with up to a 500mm tele) as well as with a Hasselblad film camera and with a D700. It is as steady as a rock with all of these. I know many 4x5 photographers who use Gitzo 2 series carbon tripods with Linhofs. While it is true that size matters with tripods and it's usually better to go larger than smaller, if you are either paying for it or carrying it, sometimes compromise is in order. I can carry my 3530S pretty easily, I don't know what the 5 series weighs or what it costs but I'd probably go with the 3 series unless you have a lot of funds or a llama.

Good luck.

Eric

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've tested a number of rigs and for me the point where overkill begins (in other words it is a bit more than you generally need but good enough to make you confident when the going gets tough) is at least a Manfrotto geared 410 head but preferably a an Arca Swiss Cube (yes I know they're stupidly expensive but no one has EVER begrudged it once they've tried one) and a Gitzo GT 3541LS.

Jack's point, and he is so very right, is that tripods with centre columns are the problem, so get one without. Also if you're using a P65+ you'll need to leave a few seconds (up to 6) of MUP time before firing and even then there wll possible be an anti-sweet spot at somewhere around 1/15th of a second where results aren't always great.

But if you're on a non-mirror, non FPS rig like a Cambo or Alpa or whatever, you can get away with a lighter rig.

HTH

Tim

mark1958

Thanks for the comments. I do have a cube and a wimberely head for the larger lenses for the Canon larger lenses. The 5 series is a bit heavier than the 3 series. I am not sure how much difference it will make in the end but i know that small weight differences do add up over time. There is one other small issue that sometimes would be something that would bug me. The minimum height distance is much lower with the series 3. THe series 5 is over 6 inches. For some macro or low level shots this can sometimes make a difference.

I never use a center column so that is not an issue for me.

stephengilbert

If you're (insert adjective here) enough to buy a Cube, you might want to look at the Really Right Stuff TVC-33 tripod. It's relatively light, has a minimum height of 4.5 inches, and is very nicely made. RRS specs:

Load Rating = 50lbs / 22.7kg
Weight = 4lbs / 1.8kg
Maximum Height = 58-inches / 147.3cm
Minimum Height = 4.5-inches / 11.4cm
Folded Length = 26-inches / 66cm
Bullseye Spirit Level = 12mm diameter
Price = $925

Stuart Richardson

If you don't mind me sharing your question, do you think that the 3000 series gitzos are up to holding a 203FE with a 350mm f/4 FE? It is quite a long and heavy lens, and I have found that my 2541 does not seem strong enough to hold it steady, particularly in any wind. I have a RRS BH-55, so the head should be up to the task, but I am wondering what would be a good platform for it, as well as my 4x5 camera. I know that to some extent, wind cannot be overcome (which is a problem for this country), but do you think the 3 series or 5 series would do better for this? Or even a wood tripod?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark:

I have both the 3541 XLS and the 5560 Giant. If you want, feel free to come over and check both out. I can tell you the 5 series pods are probably overkill for most MF applications. I have it because it's the giant, specifically for by the car when I want to get as high up as possible. And yes, I carry a ladder for that too LOL!

Seascape

I have both the 3 series as well as the 5 series CF gitzo, and while the 5 series is used mostly with my 4x5 rig, I don't really think ANY tripod is "overkill" if it isn't too heavy to carry for the situation you are shooting.

My Gitzo 5530S weighs 5.9 pounds less head, I personally don't find it to be excessively heavy, and the more stable the platform, the better IMHO.

YMMV :cool:

mark1958

Thanks for the comments. Jack.. If you need a ladder-- I have no hope.. LOL.
Maybe i will take a look at your 3541XLS.

The RRS looks nice but since i have a gitzo 1541, I would prefer to stick with the same company for now. Plus the RRS tripods are backordered.

T

tetsrfun

If you don't mind me sharing your question, do you think that the 3000 series gitzos are up to holding a 203FE with a 350mm f/4 FE? It is quite a long and heavy lens, and I have found that my 2541 does not seem strong enough to hold it steady, particularly in any wind. I have a RRS BH-55, so the head should be up to the task, but I am wondering what would be a good platform for it, as well as my 4x5 camera. I know that to some extent, wind cannot be overcome (which is a problem for this country), but do you think the 3 series or 5 series would do better for this? Or even a wood tripod?
The RRS TVC-33 is ~3541xx weight and ~ 55xx load rating. Also no safety plate is needed if that is a concern with the 3541. I don't have a 350mm but a rough size comparison (?) 250mm f/4 + 2x TC.

Steve

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Thanks very much Steve! That looks pretty similar. The 350/4 is longer, but it has a tripod mount on the lens itself. The TVC-33 is very tempting -- I have had my BH-55 for six years and it has not required a drop of maintenance in that time. That said, 900 dollars! That is quite expensive...compared to 675 for the 3531S.

But does anyone have any experience regarding wind? Is it the case that it is simply the heavier the better, or does the rigidity of carbon fiber make up for some of the mass loss?

T

tetsrfun

Is it the case that it is simply the heavier the better, or does the rigidity of carbon fiber make up for some of the mass loss?
From my reading, the rigidity has a lot to do with the diameter of the carbon fiber tubes. This concept is "in line" with high-end bike frames; using large diameter, thin walled CF tubes for reduced weight and increased rigidity. I am still surprised at the mental "disconnect" from the visual appearance of the large diameter legs and the actual weight. As far as mass and wind resistance, I would prefer to add weight at point of use when needed rather than carry the extra weight, whether it is needed or not.

Negatives of RRS vs. Gitzo:
1) cost, however, in the big picture $225 USD over many years of use is not a major factor...Also, if you carry you tripod with camera attached, the $65 additional cost for a safety plate is probably a good idea.
2) RRS max height 58", not an issue with the 203 FE
3)no track record compared to many years for Gitzo
4)Six week back order

Positives:
1)typical RRS quality with CNC machined metal parts vs cast mag.
2)"fool proof" top plate fixation system
3)Very rigid vs weight
4)And most important, IMO, looks better than the Gitzo. :~)

I am now trying to resist the temptation of the Cube on the RRS.

Steve

Last edited:

arashm

Another vote for the Gitzo GT3541LS (or XLS)
it's my day in day out tripod, but I think I'm going to switch over to an Arca Z1 on top of it.
am

billbunton

Subscriber Member
Gitzo 3530 with Cube here. I also have a 5540 with a Wimberley WH-200, though I may sell those when the D3 and 400VR go. I've considered selling the 3530 and getting the RRS...

R

R Shaffer

What's about Feisol ? Any experience ?

Michel
Been using my Feisol 3371 for around 4 or 5 years. Great tripod, really well made. I got it to use it with my nikkor 500mm f/4 & 8x10 camera. It's overkill for my 645 and I would really like to get the 3441S, but I've used up my allowance for the moment.