The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H2 or Hy6???

Graham Mitchell

Thanks Marc I know i can maybe get a P25 which I believe is the 9 microns for about 12k which i can actually almost pull off. But i need to see what Sinar , Aptus and anyone else have also in this.
Guy, knowing how you like to change systems, I would really recommend you consider a Sinar back with the adapter system :ROTFL:

The eMotion 54LV is the one you want to look at.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Graham need to get a handle on all of these. i love the ZD back the files are really good but the interface bugs me. But if i am going for more would like to see the file improve too

Maybe Thierry can get me some info on these as well

Nick-T

IMO, the single smartest thing Hasselblad could do now is bring forth a Focal Plane H body with a modern shutter to 1/6000th or higher and a simple e-adapter for all Zeiss V lenses ...which given the design of the camera, and the fact that other 645s are all focal plane cameras ... plus there already is a baffle shutter in the camera ... it should not be that daunting an engineering task for the wizards at Hasselblad.

ARE YOU LISTENING HASSELBLAD?
Yes Marc :) I told them.

Nick-T

irakly

don't forget, hy6 is the only af system (currently) that has a chance of being at least close to full-frame square.

fotografz

don't forget, hy6 is the only af system (currently) that has a chance of being at least close to full-frame square.
That would be nice.

However, I refuse to make $50-60K investments based on Vaporware. :thumbdown:

IMO (and based on experience), by the time a full frame sensor hits the market, all these cameras and backs will be into the 2nd or 3rd generation from what they are now.

Multiple AF points have all ready made the scene (Mamiya AFD-III). The AF drives will also improve. So, if AF is the unique criteria, that's going to change ... and those changes are hardware based. Otherwise there are all kinds of 6X6 and 6X7 cameras out there just waiting for a 54X54 digital back.

GPS as add ons are here ... that'll be built in hardware. I suspect a universal strobe trigger will also be built in ... one that reads your current remote signal and programs itself like a the universal TV remotes do. Plus, I'm sure there is stuff we don't even suspect yet. The future is expodentially screaming at us ... so, love the one you're with.

IF and WHEN it all does happen, the decision can be made then ... meanwhile the cash earns money elsewhere rather than depreciating at a ferocious rate.

A 6X6 digital camera would be most welcome no matter who makes it. It'll take it's place along side the 645 just like it did with film. More choices = more horses for more courses. :thumbup:

PeterA

The next back I buy will be 'it' until it literally disintegrates...resolution is so high that these MFD backs are studio cameras - even though you can shoot in good daylight..in the main they are stick on tripod things or shoot with lights..pop pop pop..otherwise what teh hell are you doing - wasting all that resolving power on shaky hands?( and btw everyone's hands shake ..whether you know it or not) @30 + megapixels everything has to be perfect or everything is just not quite right ..

You can keep the holy grail - 6X6 chip guys - never understood the use or fascination for it - call me a philistine if you like ! LOL

irakly

hehe, let's just hope that franke-heidecke is not going to go belly-up before the 54x54 sensor becomes available :)

That would be nice.

However, I refuse to make $50-60K investments based on Vaporware. :thumbdown:

IMO (and based on experience), by the time a full frame sensor hits the market, all these cameras and backs will be into the 2nd or 3rd generation from what they are now.

Multiple AF points have all ready made the scene (Mamiya AFD-III). The AF drives will also improve. So, if AF is the unique criteria, that's going to change ... and those changes are hardware based. Otherwise there are all kinds of 6X6 and 6X7 cameras out there just waiting for a 54X54 digital back.

GPS as add ons are here ... that'll be built in hardware. I suspect a universal strobe trigger will also be built in ... one that reads your current remote signal and programs itself like a the universal TV remotes do. Plus, I'm sure there is stuff we don't even suspect yet. The future is expodentially screaming at us ... so, love the one you're with.

IF and WHEN it all does happen, the decision can be made then ... meanwhile the cash earns money elsewhere rather than depreciating at a ferocious rate.

A 6X6 digital camera would be most welcome no matter who makes it. It'll take it's place along side the 645 just like it did with film. More choices = more horses for more courses. :thumbup:

fotografz

I want the new Mamiya AFD-III that is certainly on my radar screen. Hopefully soon
Full report on it when you get your hands on one Guy.

Particularly interested in how the multiple AF array is spaced, and how it works with the new AF drive ... this is what's in store for other MF cameras unless I miss my guess.

Guy Mancuso

I will certainly give a full report on this. I was hoping Lance could get one for San Juan but I think it is too early for him to get his hands on one.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I will certainly give a full report on this. I was hoping Lance could get one for San Juan but I think it is too early for him to get his hands on one.
I am going to try to have one meet us down there in PR. We are "supposed" to gain poesession of our demo units on May 12. So we will see what happens (my fingers are crossed).

Also Victor, from what I am hearing from Phase One they will have a digital back mount available for the new Rollei platform , it is just they will not commit to a date as when it will be available. It would be weird that the digital manufacture with the most market share wordwide (PhaseOne) would be locked out of a platform and not pursue a solution. IMHO :For a platform (Rollei/Hy6/Afi) to succeed I would l think that they would need to justify the production with selling a certain volume, hence multiple backs available for it.
So if you are happy with the work-flow of your P back and it seems you are beings you are on your 3rd generation and are not in a dire need to add an additional work-flow/software package, then I would suggest you wait.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
[email protected]

BJNY

Also Victor, from what I am hearing from Phase One they will have a digital back mount available for the new Rollei platform , it is just they will not commit to a date as when it will be available. It would be weird that the digital manufacture with the most market share wordwide (PhaseOne) would be locked out of a platform and not pursue a solution. IMHO :For a platform (Rollei/Hy6/Afi) to succeed I would l think that they would need to justify the production with selling a certain volume, hence multiple backs available for it.
:confused:Here we go again:cry:

Steve Hendrix

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
[email protected]
We are entering a period where medium format companies are producing and considering the entire product (digital back, camera, lens, etc) to be their proprietary intellectual property.

To be sure, Jenoptik desired the Hy6 camera to be on more than the Sinar platform, since - to this point - Sinar has trailed in market share compared to Leaf, Phase, Hasselblad. So, they made an agreement with Leaf and that fulfilled the number of units they were looking for to make the project a financial success. It's possible there was negotiation or bidding with Phase, and Leaf simply won that process - made a larger financial committment, etc.

Leaf also has much more symbiotic history with Sinar than Phase One does. And that could have been a factor. But we don't know exactly what happened.

I don't know why any digital back manufacturer couldn't fashion a mounting plate and - using a flash sync cable - make a digital back work on a Hy6. But there may be more to it than this, and it's possible that if Jenoptik truly want to keep this between Leaf and Sinar - hey Phase, go make your own camera! - then you could imagine a created firmware in the future that changes internal timings, etc that make even a flash sync communication difficult. That would be pretty hard core though.

But the intellectual property aspect of this could very well play a role, and a manufacturer who creates a complete medium format digital solution may have the right, and the ability to invoke such a privilege. Is it right for the photographic community or Phase One users in particular? Not necessarily, but we're entering an era of complete systems, and I believe this will propel Phase One to get into the game, which they're long overdue at joining. That certainly would be positive for Phase One users. In the past, the choices have been which digital back do I put on my film camera? In the present and future, the choices will be which digital camera system do I go with?

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

PeterA

We are entering a period where medium format companies are producing and considering the entire product (digital back, camera, lens, etc) to be their proprietary intellectual property.

To be sure, Jenoptik desired the Hy6 camera to be on more than the Sinar platform, since - to this point - Sinar has trailed in market share compared to Leaf, Phase, Hasselblad. So, they made an agreement with Leaf and that fulfilled the number of units they were looking for to make the project a financial success. It's possible there was negotiation or bidding with Phase, and Leaf simply won that process - made a larger financial committment, etc.

Leaf also has much more symbiotic history with Sinar than Phase One does. And that could have been a factor. But we don't know exactly what happened.

I don't know why any digital back manufacturer couldn't fashion a mounting plate and - using a flash sync cable - make a digital back work on a Hy6. But there may be more to it than this, and it's possible that if Jenoptik truly want to keep this between Leaf and Sinar - hey Phase, go make your own camera! - then you could imagine a created firmware in the future that changes internal timings, etc that make even a flash sync communication difficult. That would be pretty hard core though.

But the intellectual property aspect of this could very well play a role, and a manufacturer who creates a complete medium format digital solution may have the right, and the ability to invoke such a privilege. Is it right for the photographic community or Phase One users in particular? Not necessarily, but we're entering an era of complete systems, and I believe this will propel Phase One to get into the game, which they're long overdue at joining. That certainly would be positive for Phase One users. In the past, the choices have been which digital back do I put on my film camera? In the present and future, the choices will be which digital camera system do I go with?

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Agree.

and for all the internet chat room malarky that goes on basically denigrating anything that isn't made by 'Zeiss'...with all kinds of pseudo science opinion tossed around...regarding 'lens drawing and eg plasticity ( my favourite funny word) NONE of which relates to ANY empirical testing regime...OR is easily demonstrable in PRINT...

.Phase One and Mamiya is providing a strong alternative to Sinar/Leaf Hy6/Afi and Hasselblad.

Mamiya lenses are a lot cheaper than those above and deliver on quality.,,simple really..

from nowhere - the flexibility of the Mamiya system and the large installed user base becomes a competitive strength - where before the company was deemed as being 'dead'.

Yep closed systems work really well - until someone else makes a less closed system that delivers teh quality you want along with flexibility at a lower price.

georgl

That would be a great loss for the MF-photographers :scry::shocked:

Mamiya has a fine system, but certain aspects of other systems are superior and the Hy6-system is the technically most advanced MF-system with 1/1000s carbon central-shutters, 56x56mm image area (turnable sensors), usable with different backs (including film) and an extensive range of excellent older lenses and great AF-optics.
New Schneider/Zeiss-lenses (just compare Zeiss 40IF vs. Mamiya WAs) are usually superior regarding build- and IQ-quality and I don't think cost cutting on lenses (they're investments for decades!) is very wise in this segment at all...

Anyway, we need this diversity and it wouldn't be very good to lose any of todays MF-manufacturers, may it be Franke or Mamiya or Phase or Hasselblad...

@PeterA
As far as I remember it, "plasticity" was never a discussion about Mamiya vs. other MF-systems but DSLRs with CMOS and heavy processing/filtering!?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I have to agree. Lot of risk and something I predicted quietly awhile back was we we only see two future generation bodies ( excluding the S2) and I certainly hope this has no effect on Leaf as a back maker. There is a relationship with Franke-Heidecke but I do not know the exact details of it so I don't want to speculate maybe Yair can address this from the Leaf end of the world.