The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H2 or Hy6???

arashm

Leaf has always (at least in North America ) had very close ties with Mamiya as well.
way to early to tell but I guess leaf can always use Mamiya as their platform as well.
This indeed is sad news.
am

D

dwdmguy

Based on the news early in this forum with the Chapter 11 I would think that the Hy6 should not be your choice.

gogopix

Subscriber
This is a hoot.

I started this thread when I 'listened' to the "Contax is dead" crowd and figured, well, let's see what's out there.

Now, having decided to stay with my Contax 645, I see that the H2 and H6y have joined the 'dead' club.

The difference is-people are still picking up the Contax, and are happy...

The H2 crowd complains about 'closed' systems (H3) (but still pretty good stuff!)

The Hy6, well, uncertain, and little float...

The Ph/M amyia.. lots of complaints on lenses, bodies. (here and on LL).. and sorry, we ain't talking the mercedes of cameras here

But the latter have three big fans in Guy, Jack and Michael... I wish them well and do genuinely hope they improve features and lenses. HOWEVER, they have a price point, and , I am sorry, that will translate to a quality point - it is the law of the marketplace.

In the meantime, my only concern is finding a reasonable price for the Contax extension tubes for Macro work.....as I wait for the P65+... which I already know is not straining the Contax lenses, in spite of what MR siad when he sold his Contax . (see my post with P65+ Contax samples)

Why do I keep posting on the Contax 645?...

.... Well, as people tout the Sony, Mamyia, and Hasselblad, there are still Contax systems out there, and for those who MAY benefit and enjoy them, they deserve to hear about it.

best regards
Victor

Last edited:

dseelig

I was saddened to hear about rollie. the hy 6 is a camera with a great feel to it. I had a rollie 6008 and 6003 great cameras but when I moved to idaho and used it outdoors the weight led me to switch to contax. Then with digital I sold my contax system. Also the rollie lenses were expensive. I now am back to the contax for black and white film and some day I hope a digital back. But boy I hope the hy 6 continues beautiful camera.

Paratom

The F&H situation does not at all necessarly mean the Hy6 is dead. This would be only the worst case scenario-could maybe happen, but there are many other scenarios.

carstenw

Apparently Jenoptik owns the rights to the system, and given Franke & Heidecke's longtime financial difficulties, Jenoptik almost certainly has a clause in the agreement about what happens to the manufacturing capability if F&H should shut their doors. The only unknown is who will manufacture the Hy6. I wonder if Leica has enough manufacturing capacity left over to handle this for Jenoptik? They did have a relationship in the recent past, although it is not clear how well it ended.

Paratom

Apparently Jenoptik owns the rights to the system, and given Franke & Heidecke's longtime financial difficulties, Jenoptik almost certainly has a clause in the agreement about what happens to the manufacturing capability if F&H should shut their doors. The only unknown is who will manufacture the Hy6. I wonder if Leica has enough manufacturing capacity left over to handle this for Jenoptik? They did have a relationship in the recent past, although it is not clear how well it ended.
I also think that the current situation does not necessarly mean F&H needs to shut (forever) the doors.

fotografz

This is a hoot.

I started this thread when I 'listened' to the "Contax is dead" crowd and figured, well, let's see what's out there.

Now, having decided to stay with my Contax 645, I see that the H2 and H6y have joined the 'dead' club.

The difference is-people are still picking up the Contax, and are happy...

The H2 crowd complains about 'closed' systems (H3) (but still pretty good stuff!)

The Hy6, well, uncertain, and little float...

The Ph/M amyia.. lots of complaints on lenses, bodies. (here and on LL).. and sorry, we ain't talking the mercedes of cameras here

But the latter have three big fans in Guy, Jack and Michael... I wish them well and do genuinely hope they improve features and lenses. HOWEVER, they have a price point, and , I am sorry, that will translate to a quality point - it is the law of the marketplace.

In the meantime, my only concern is finding a reasonable price for the Contax extension tubes for Macro work.....as I wait for the P65+... which I already know is not straining the Contax lenses, in spite of what MR siad when he sold his Contax . (see my post with P65+ Contax samples)

Why do I keep posting on the Contax 645?...

.... Well, as people tout the Sony, Mamyia, and Hasselblad, there are still Contax systems out there, and for those who MAY benefit and enjoy them, they deserve to hear about it.

best regards
Victor
Well Victor I think you hear what you want to hear depending on your own decisions. I haven't heard "Contax is Dead," ... it's been more like: "Contax is a Dead-End system." Big difference IMHO.

Yes, there are those who pick up the Contax and are happy ... yet there are those who are/weren't happy with it ... me being one of them. An AF camera that can't AF well isn't my idea of excellence compared to current offerings. And a focal plane shutter camera simply didn't fit my need for high sync speeds ... unfortunately for Contax owners, the leaf shutter lenses for this dead-end system will never materialize. Nor will improved AF ... or anything else utilitarian that may come along. I did like the IQ of some of the lenses which to Contax/Ziess's credit holds up to this day.

H2 crowd complains about a closed system? Answer: the improved H2 version: H2F with a CF-II back. No surprise that Hasselblad added integrated functionality to this combo over the H2 ... it's their product philosophy and whether you like it or not (I do), they seem to be sticking to it. But the CF back will work on virtually any MF camera out there. It's also no surprise that a back maker that now owns a camera company would block other back makers from using their cameras ... they are in business to sell THEIR backs ... if they only sold cameras they'd probably be in deep trouble, or out of business by now (witness recent events).

It's no secret that Hasselblad isn't the only closed system camera ... try using a Leaf AFi back on anything other than a Rollei Hy6 based camera, or even a Leaf Aptus back on their own AFi/Hy6 camera. I've not heard of anyone using any Phase One back or Hasselbald CF/CF-II back on a Hy6. The Leica S2 will also be a closed system, VERY closed in fact.

I'll leave the Mamiya folks to answer or ignore your discounting of that system ... which isn't dead end, seems to be improving by the minute, and holds more promise on the horizon.

Don't know why you'd include a Sony in your discourse ... what does a Sony 35mm DSLR have to do with a MFD discussion? Anyone with a MFD system knows it's an apples to watermelons comparison.

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear fotgrafz

Good points... thanks for clarifying. Not trying to have a full trade-off in my posts- mostly just making sure the Contax option stays in people's minds while the market evolves.

Not since the Beta-VHS fight can I remember a superior simpler, technology losing to a better marketed system. If my sources are right, Phase tried to get the Contax rights and machinery-Mamyia was a rebound marriage. But, rejuvinating Contax is a super longshot. That's not what I am betting on. I simply think The current backs and Contax body-lens sysetm are a plateau that I would happily use forever. Film plateaued, long before digital. One hits a point where you just can't squeeze any more capability-at least not what people want.

That said, AF is slow in C645 but mostly works fine (for sports, I know a lot who prefocus anyway, as in racing and team sports)

BTW, my Beta still works and I did convert to digital. Even found a guy in VA who repairs-but who needs it. In ten years I may say the same about the C645. I figure in 5 years the Contax won't owe me anything and I can donate to the Smithsonian!

:)

BTW, I like your work-where after all, most of the energy should go, regardsless the technology.

best reards
Victor

finepix

SIMPLE QUESTION ?
IF CONTAX WAS SUCH A GREAT SYSTEM, WHY IS THE BRAND DEAD. MAMIYA, HASSEY AND THE REST OF THE NOT SO WONDERFUL SYSTEMS STILL VERY MUCH ALIVE.

MAKES YOU THINK !

David K

Workshop Member
SIMPLE QUESTION ?
IF CONTAX WAS SUCH A GREAT SYSTEM, WHY IS THE BRAND DEAD. MAMIYA, HASSEY AND THE REST OF THE NOT SO WONDERFUL SYSTEMS STILL VERY MUCH ALIVE.

MAKES YOU THINK !
I can think of a lot of good reasons that have nothing to do with how good the camera is. Same thing for the Hy6 which may yet come back from the brink... it is a superb camera.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think it is fair for Victor to try and keep the C645 alive. It was a great camera and certainly has life left in it, as do older Hassy V-series bodies and older Leica M film bodies.

Whether one wants to or should invest in it as a *new* system is more suspect however... Like Marc said, AF is slow and inefficient by current standards -- though not very far behind the Hy6's to be honest -- as is the onboard auto metering. Here both Hassy H2/3 and Mamiya AFD2/3 are superior, regardless of other issues one may have with either system.

Victor, re extension tubes... Son does have adapters that allow the Mamiya tilt-shift bellows to be mounted, though you lose the ability to use Contax lenses at the other end and have to resort to Mamiya manual mount, Hassy V, conventional large format, enlarging, digital specific or other manual-aperture lenses.

Cheers,

PeterA

I can justify the minor cost of a Contax body to use as a mule for F/FE lenses ( many thanks for the adaptor David K) since I now have the luxury of a back ( many thanks Bradley Gibson) which I can change adaptors and bodies accordingly ( many thanks Sinar) same thing for the RZ (thanks David K and Jack) and V body ( thanks Blad ) and the Alpa ( thanks Alpa)

My a back "is just film philosophy" is working beautifully for me ! -:)

Would I use Contax as my only 645 system with a dedicated Phase One mount? - you have to be joking!! LOL Do I think the Contax lenses ( apart from the 80/2 and 120 Makro are anything special? Nope.

Everything changes according to flexibility - a camera and lens system is cheap compared to a digi back - film. I am loving the flexibility of being able to use a digi back like film and switch from system to system. and am getting a real kick out of being able to choose exactly the glass I want to use - not what some corporate strategist/ex sales guy in a two bit MFD back manufacturing company decides I can or can not do.

yeah baby!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Pete:

Just curious, which system do you take on your typical field shoot?

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I can justify the minor cost of a Contax body to use as a mule for F/FE lenses ( many thanks for the adaptor David K) since I now have the luxury of a back ( many thanks Bradley Gibson) which I can change adaptors and bodies accordingly ( many thanks Sinar) same thing for the RZ (thanks David K and Jack) and V body ( thanks Blad ) and the Alpa ( thanks Alpa)

My a back "is just film philosophy" is working beautifully for me ! -:)

Would I use Contax as my only 645 system with a dedicated Phase One mount? - you have to be joking!! LOL Do I think the Contax lenses ( apart from the 80/2 and 120 Makro are anything special? Nope.

Everything changes according to flexibility - a camera and lens system is cheap compared to a digi back - film. I am loving the flexibility of being able to use a digi back like film and switch from system to system. and am getting a real kick out of being able to choose exactly the glass I want to use - not what some corporate strategist/ex sales guy in a two bit MFD back manufacturing company decides I can or can not do.

yeah baby!!
Your having way to much fun. LOL

PeterA

Pete:

Just curious, which system do you take on your typical field shoot?

Cheers,
hey Jack,

On the rare occassions I go on holiday Jack - it is the M8 and Alpa with 35XL and H back.I am over lugging 100 pounds of gear through airports!
If iIwant a retro look from glass I use the RZ - it is great for people shots with fading colour background or B&W film - signature of these lenses is quite old fashioned and unique IMHO
If I am doing some portrait work - either the 205TCC with CFV11 back and 110/2 or the Hy6 with either the 100/2 or the beautiful 180 Xenotar
If I shoot at night it is the D3 plus great Nikon flash with a Zeiss 28/2 or the 28-70 zoom.
Anything requiring strobe or tethered shooting no question Hasselblad.
If I am shooting street ( my favourite pastime ) - I am into using the Hy6 with WLF with the 40 or the 205TCC with the magnificent 50 FE.

Pete

PeterA

Your having way to much fun. LOL
Guy - it should ALWAYS be about fun my friend! I am happy to have sorted out what works for me..

I am going to write a report on what i have lerned ( the hard way) and what I have settled on and why - all from an enthuisiast's perspective..

I reallyy believe that the Pro market / thinking is VERY diferent to the enthusiast market in certain fundamental repsects. there is some overlap - but many diferences.

Pete