The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-50 on order

Quentin_Bargate

After some soul searching, I have just placed an order for a Hasselblad H4D-50. HC 120mm macro and HC 50mm lenses.

My wallet now feels so light, it might float away...:D

The decision was taken after testing the camera out at the Pro Centre in London, AKA Hasselblad UK. I thought it would be good but this is beyond good, even just messing around using one strobe.

2-3 weeks quoted for delivery of the H4D-50 here in the UK. Time to sell a kidney to help pay for it all :ROTFL:

I would in due course like to get the HTS 1.5 tilt shift adapter and 28mm lens when funds allow. I tried the HTS 1.5 out hand-held and it works as advertised. Used with the 28mm, it should be a killer combination for landscape and architecture.

When it arrives, naturally expect to see some shots taken with it posted here.

Now I have to go lie down....:confused:

Quentin

stephengilbert

The wait is the worst part: two weeks of wondering if you've made a mistake. It should be better once the camera arrives. Good luck.

Quentin_Bargate

The wait is the worst part: two weeks of wondering if you've made a mistake. It should be better once the camera arrives. Good luck.
You may be right. However, I am pretty sure I have made the right decision based on the demo.

I was against Hasselblad's "closed" system approach when they first introduced it, but it does have some significant advantages compared to open architecture alternatives.

Quentin

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Congrats Quentin. Go take the nap than post all your gear for sale , once you go MF it's all over bud. You CAN'T go BACK

Jeffg53

Congratulations Quentin, once you start to use your new gear the pain of purchase evaporates. It certainly did for me. The closed system is a real differentiator for me. Long exposures with no dark frame, and all the other corrections are brilliant. Hasselblad certainly had someone with vision and then the courage to go that way. Every piece of new gear shows the value of the integration.

jonoslack

Hi Quentin
Congratulations on the big jump (wanna sell your zees 85 f1.4 cheap?).
It's about time you did it, your photography yells for it.:)

Personally I'm not rigorous enough (or enough of a perfectionist) so I'll stick with my little cameras.

All the best

S

Shelby Lewis

Color me jealous :thumbs:

I can't wait to see some of your work with it! Congrats Quentin. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Quentin,

congratulations to this wonderful camera and lenses. I would definitely go for the 28, it is such a great lens! Also the HTS as you said for landscape and architecture a really great tool.

Quentin_Bargate

Update: there is a delay on delivery of 50mp chips to Hasselblad (this is a delay in manufacture, as I understand it, not due to recent air traffic restrictions). The delivery date to me has therefore been moved back to ealry/mid May, but this seems to be guesswork by Hasselblad UK. Frankly no one seems sure.

I think this is ridiculous. The H4D-60 seems to be vapourware, and the H4D-50 is subject to interminable delay, at least here in the UK (they seemed to be "in stock" last I checked at B&H in the US). So beware if you order one and are given a delivery date of "2-3 weeks" because it might well be a lot longer.

Quentin

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Quentin
Welcome to the club
It took me about 9 months to finally decide to jump in the MF world and so far i have zero regrets. I'm saving up my pennies for the HTS 1.5
good luck

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Congrats Quentin! As guy indicated, all of the "purchase pain" will evaporate as soon as you start working the files, and honestly you'll probably wonder why you didn't take the step sooner :)

Quentin_Bargate

It has arrived... Just unpacked, battery charging :thumbup: Some images, I hope, over the weekend in a seperate thread.

Quentin