The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Camera Users with Copal-shuttered lenses please take note

torger

One question that is not entirely clear to me. I understand that it is really bad to change shutter speed with the shutter cocked. However, what about this workflow:

1. open shutter and aperture compose
2. change shutter speed
3. change aperture.
4. cock shutter.
5. realize that you haven't closed the shutter yet => close shutter
6. trigger shutter.

ie closing the shutter late. A few times I forget closing the shutter, and only note it when I cock the shutter, as the shutter then will make a ticking sound until I close it.

My understanding is that changing aperture with the shutter open or closed does not matter at all. Changing shutter speed I think should be okay with the shutter open, but possibly cocking the shutter while it is open and then close it could be harmful?

wryphotography

Huh. With my 617, the thought of changing the shutter speed after cocking the shutter never occurred to me. I only ever cocked the shutter once everything was set and i checked it twice. But good to know that it will ruin it if done.

alajuela

Huh. With my 617, the thought of changing the shutter speed after cocking the shutter never occurred to me. I only ever cocked the shutter once everything was set and i checked it twice. But good to know that it will ruin it if done.
Same here, cocking the shutter is last thing I do. Unless I forget to....

1. Close the aperture after focusing (either live view or GG)

2. Forget to cock the shutter

In either case 1 or 2, I feel a bit like an idiot, and have to wait for the back to do its thing, usually a 3 - 4 second process - and a error message on the screen. Then a hit on the head and carry on, and do the last thing.

It never dawned on me to adjust the shutter speed last thing. I always feel that exposure setting and framing were the preparation, cocking and firing were the end.

Sorta Ready Aim Fire :salute:

Phil

tjv

Well, today I was out shooting and it took me a while to get used to the change in workflow. By the end of the day though, I remembered to refrain from cocking the shutter immediately after making an exposure. I can't believe I haven't heard this information before and that it's not mentioned within official lens / shutter documentation.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You can change it after cocking, but the added tension on the timing cams and clockwork may render less accurate/consistent speeds and can cause undue wear to the shutter speed timing mechanism.

jlm

Workshop Member
i leave the shutter un-cocked when the lens is not in use; generally cocking just before making the exposure

jm

tjv

You can change it after cocking, but the added tension on the timing cams and clockwork may render less accurate/consistent speeds and can cause undue wear to the shutter speed timing mechanism.
Yeah, I've been in the habit of cocking the shutter immediately after each exposure so to ensure a long life for my shutters I'll make sure to change my workflow.