The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portrait sample images from Hassie 210 & 300 HC please ..

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys,

I'm seriously pondering getting either the 210 or 300 hc for my pre-ordered hasselblad camera.

It is really hard to find sample images from specific lenses, hence I ask kindly any users for some portrait samples of these lenses.

I would like to assess the quality of bokeh ...

Many thanks in advance,

regards

Paul

PeterA

I snapped this one hand held and provide a colour an B&W version for bokeh comps. The shot was made wide open @4.5 in dappled shade @ 1/250th ISO 100. So no it isnt as super uber sharp as possible on tripod and or with strobe.

A couple of points. I wouldn't recommend shooting this lens hand held unless you are using strobe which then makes the bokeh issue redundant anyway. In the field my acid test for bokeh is against green backgrounds.

You can see that the bokeh here is nice and creamy - as you would expect from a tele on MF. You can also see that the DOF fall off is pretty quick - I was shooting from about 6 meters away for a head shot (uncropped) and the catch light in the left eye as you view it is actually me reflected n the eye.

So yeah the lens is sharp enough . No post treatment - straight out of the can from an H3D11-39 and Phocus 2 ( of course)

I don't own the 210 so I cant post an example for you. I do own and shoot with the 100 the tele convertor and the 150 in portrait HC lenses all three lenses and teleconvertor are worth considering if you need these focal lengths I am happy with them all.

Hope this helps
Pete

Paul Spinnler

Hey Pete,

that is so nice of you! This image is very useful for me. I see that the bokeh is amazing with this lens. You can totally separate subject and background with this focal length - perfect for portraiture.

But it is an expensive specialty lens nonetheless ... what uses do you have for this lens if I may ask and how much of the time is it attached to your camera body? 20%? 10%?

Regards

Paul

PeterA

Paul - I rarely use the 300mm - it all depends on what your equipment preferences are ...as for expensive - I guess it is ..I bought mine used in mint condition which took some of the pain away. i prefer the 300 focal length in MF to the 210 - to me 200 is too similar to 150. I would use the 300mm predominantly for landscape work on a tripod - since i find landscape work ( in the main) to be boring as batshyte I don't use it much -:)

Paul Spinnler

Oh, alright! :) Well today I spoke with the local hasselblad rep and he told me that the 300mm is a lot less popular than the 210 or 150 because it is so unwieldy and heavy which makes it hard to get sharp images handheld ...

I think I will opt for the 210 then ...

Thank you for your insights!

Regards

Paul