Site Sponsors

Thread: WaHOO! Just added a multishot!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WaHOO! Just added a multishot!

After much research, including a tech geek at a university doing critical copy work of various art objects and such, I've decided to add a CF/39 Multishot to my H4D/40. I decided that going for a H4D/50 Multishot was just to expensive for the degree of applications I encounter needing that kind of performance .

It is a refurb unit from Hasselblad with less than 3000 shots on it. I got it with a 1.5 year warranty and two iAdapters

One of the main reason for this direction is use of the back on most any camera I wish.

... one iAdapter for my H2F, which unlike a H2 will provide full access to the 28mm and 35-90 zoom, HTS/1.5 and DAC corrections in Phocus

... and a second iAdapter to use on my Mamiya RZ Pro-II which can also do Multishot ... the Mamiya has all sorts of speciality lenses and accessories I can use for creative applications in studio.

I already have a Rollei Xact-II with a KaptureGroup sliding adapter in H mount and a set of digitar lenses. I'll need a Rollei electronic shutter eventually to use it with Multishot.

Multishot for studio, and the H4D/40 for location and people work.

I'm done. And I seriously mean it this time (he says as he pulls his pockets inside out )

-Report on results to follow.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: WaHOO! Just added a multishot!

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I'm done.
    -Marc
    BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHahahahahahahahahaha!

(While I understand that comment 110% given the present set of circumstances, I simply cannot resist expressing my longer term doubts! )

Seriously though, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just as long as you did not use the word NEVER. Congrats.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

can't wait to hear how you like it and how well it works. I just started reading about MS and the non-Bayer, non-de-mosaic advantages and am still digesting how it works. from what I can tell, you make four shots, one for red, blue and two for green, with the sensor shifting one pixel each time. that should produce four identical images of full 39mpx each, except that each has been color filtered.
    then Phocus can assemble the four into a single 39mpx shot with non-interpolated RGB values.

I'm still not sure where the rgb filtering happens...

I may go lean on a friend who works at the Met and see if i can get a viewing in their photo studio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

By the above process, each pixel is essentially true-color capture created by the 4x sampled RGGB exposure on it, so you get an essentially per-pixel, non-Bayer color result. This improves detail via increased inter-pixel contrast, improves color as it effectively eliminates de-Bayering algorithms, and then of course renders better overall tonality due to the more accurate per-pixel color number.

The result was pretty significantly improved on the original 17 and 22 MP backs that adopted the technology, like doubling the effective resolution and improving color accuracy by a few bits per channel. While de-Bayering algorithms have improved significantly since then, and pixel density has increased, the net difference is not quite as prominent, but definitely still there. I suspect Marc is probably going to see on the order of a 25% or 30% effective net gain in usable resolution, and marginally improved color.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,

my sincere congratulations! Fully understand that you are done now, but you will see the difference!

Great H System you have now, enjoy and keep showing us results here, so I can at least plan to slowly follow

Post Thanks / Like

I already have a Rollei Xact-II with a KaptureGroup sliding adapter in H mount and a set of digitar lenses. I'll need a Rollei electronic shutter eventually to use it with Multishot.

-Marc
    Congrats.

And a when you find someone to provide the cable to connect the Rollei Lenscontrol with the back.

Please let us know how are you going to do the setup between back - Rollei shutter and Lenscontrol device.

I do have a X-act2 as well and look forward to put it to work.

cheers

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHahahahahahahahahaha!

(While I understand that comment 110% given the present set of circumstances, I simply cannot resist expressing my longer term doubts! )

Seriously though, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks jack.

my guess was the true RGGB values per pixel rather than an interpolated result from looking at neighbors would be the major improvement

Post Thanks / Like

Can I point you towards my advice in this thread

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14580

Congratulations!

BTW a Friend of mine is trying to copy the cable for the lenscontrol to the back maybe he can make more. He still has my backup cable. I think I will ask him to return it one of these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Marc!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post

Can I point you towards my advice in this thread

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14580

Congratulations!

BTW a Friend of mine is trying to copy the cable for the lenscontrol to the back maybe he can make more. He still has my backup cable. I think I will ask him to return it one of these days.
    Dustbak,

Good that you speak up.
    Concerning the cable for the lenscontrol: Will it connect to Phase and Leaf backs or just the H'blad's? In that case I will be interested as well. Me too, please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My name is Manuel, I know nothing about a cable, eye learned Engelishh fromme a boook.... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

It is the generic one coming from the Lenscontrol S to whatever other short cable that hence goes into the back. I currently have on for the Ixpress, the CF, the Sinar 54H & the Jenoptik.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by H3dtogo View Post
    My name is Manuel, I know nothing about a cable, eye learned Engelishh fromme a boook.... ;-)
    As long as you are able to copy that cable I don't really care whether you speak english, spanish or even flemish

Post Thanks / Like

It is the generic one coming from the Lenscontrol S to whatever other short cable that hence goes into the back. I currently have on for the Ixpress, the CF, the Sinar 54H & the Jenoptik.
    Now, please dont tell me you have that many backs.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you are able to copy that cable I don't really care whether you speak english, spanish or even flemish
    In case Manuel has served previously Basil, .... I wait how that cable works in actual practise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    Now, please dont tell me you have that many backs.
    I used to but currently only 2. There is only so much you can use at the same time. I know how hard it is to find the right cables so if I have them I tend to hang on to them. You never know.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    Congrats.

And a when you find someone to provide the cable to connect the Rollei Lenscontrol with the back.

Please let us know how are you going to do the setup between back - Rollei shutter and Lenscontrol device.

I do have a X-act2 as well and look forward to put it to work.

cheers
    I'll leave that to my dealer to figure out and find. He is amazing when it comes to stuff like that. He was formally head of tech for a major car studio and is wired into all kinds of resources that I'd never know about. But I have time to find it all, because I am out of funds for studio gear

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was most interested in user feed back from geeks that basically talked over my head concerning color accuracy right from the MS camera. Man, talk about pixel peepers. This is relatively important to me for some of my work ... like shooting fabrics for General Motors. Increased detail won't hurt either, but my H3D-II/39 was adequate to that task even in single shot ... but better is always better.

I decided to grab this deal because the back just returned from being refurbished Denmark, was very low in actuations to start with ... and most importantly fit my remaining budget

I had waited to see if Hassey was going to do a CF/50 MS, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen now because the focus is more on the integrated systems cameras. Basically CF or CFH backs are the only ones that'll work on my H2F and provide all the modern advantages of the firmware and software ... the H2F also takes film backs when I want to shoot B&W film. I have been waiting to get a digital back for the H2F so I can upgrade the firmware without sending it in to Hasselblad to do it.

The "fun part will be that the CFs work on other cameras for more "creative" lens possibilities ... Mamiya RZ lenses like the Soft Focus 180 portrait lens, the fisheye, the excellent 210 APO, even the T/S adapter ... the rotating back of the RZ makes it workable in studio. The old war horse comes back to life yet once again The thing has more lives than a cat.

What remains to be seen now that I have the HTS/1.5, is whether I will need the Rollei view camera for what applications I use T/S for. I don't do architectural or landscape work where I'd need the 28mm digital view lens and full corrections. In fact, I think I used that lens twice since I got it. May be time to just blow out that whole system to someone that'd get more use out of it. We'll see.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I'll leave that to my dealer to figure out and find. He is amazing when it comes to stuff like that. He was formally head of tech for a major car studio and is wired into all kinds of resources that I'd never know about. But I have time to find it all, because I am out of funds for studio gear

-Marc
    Good to have a solid help and back up. Hope it comes nicely together.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, very best of luck and enjoyment with your new gear. Thanks also for the ability to share your journey vicariously without having to spend any money

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to multi-shot Marc! I've been shooting multi-shot for ten years and am a great believer in the technology.
    Nick-T

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Marc, very best of luck and enjoyment with your new gear. Thanks also for the ability to share your journey vicariously without having to spend any money
    LOL! Yeah David ... now the trick will be to turn my commercial studio into a money maker instead of the money pit it's been for the last year or so.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    Welcome to multi-shot Marc! I've been shooting multi-shot for ten years and am a great believer in the technology.
    Nick-T
    Me too Nick. Being an art/creative director for most of my life before semi-retiring, I was exposed to multishot many times, so I know what it can do ... including from the likes of Alan Davidson who is on the Hassey digital forum from time-to-time. He uses multishot quite a bit, and shot many jobs for me over the years.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm done. And I seriously mean it this time (he says as he pulls his pockets inside out )

-Report on results to follow.

-Marc
    Honest CONGRATULATIONS for your MS BACK , also from Germany .

But Marc , "I am done" Really ? ? ?

I can hardly believe it . And I am talking about my own addiction to new and/or fantastic gear .
    I "promised" my wife many times for sure , this is the last gear I bought . I am done .

But that never lasted very long .

So I recently ended up with an ALPA 12SWA + DIGARON-S 28mm lens .
    I do not need this camera at all , but when I saw her and had her in my hands , I felt an extremely strong urge to get her .

So , Marc take it easy , that is the way gear meniacs have to get their passion under control . It does not work .
    Sometimes , I believe , to stop smokoing must be easier than stop going for new gear .

All the best and many good shots with your MS back .

Jürgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Honest CONGRATULATIONS for your MS BACK , also from Germany .

But Marc , "I am done" Really ? ? ?

I can hardly believe it . And I am talking about my own addiction to new and/or fantastic gear .
    I "promised" my wife many times for sure , this is the last gear I bought . I am done .

But that never lasted very long .

So I recently ended up with an ALPA 12SWA + DIGARON-S 28mm lens .
    I do not need this camera at all , but when I saw her and had her in my hands , I felt an extremely strong urge to get her .

So , Marc take it easy , that is the way gear meniacs have to get their passion under control . It does not work .
    Sometimes , I believe , to stop smokoing must be easier than stop going for new gear .

All the best and many good shots with your MS back .

Jürgen
    I saw that too---- Done? NOT! But it does guarantee you a spot of the most exalted status of great high honor (of gear sluts) on the Medium Format Systems forum!

Big congrats on your MS back!

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm done. And I seriously mean it this time . . . .
    Well, at least he is not talking about needing THREE monitors to process images . . . not yet anyhow!

Good luck and good fortune with the new cam Marc!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Well, at least he is not talking about needing THREE monitors to process images . . . not yet anyhow!
    Ouch!!! I resemble that remark!

Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can use three monitors? How does that work?

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

" ... but when I saw her and had her in my hands , I felt an extremely strong urge to get her ."

You lost me Jurgen ... were you referencing getting married to the ALPA, or your wife here?

When I say "done" I kinda mean it this time ... no more "additions" only "substitutions". Want one of these, sell two of these.

The major event determining this was moving from the unbridled, anything goes income of my advertising career, to the more fixed income of semi-retirement ... a retirement heavily impacted by the world financial events we all are aware of.

That's okay, we all need a little discipline from time-to-time ... or so I say now

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, I should have this puppy in the studio this weekend. My dealer will deliver and give me a full course in its use.

The news is even better than I thought. This Certified Pre-Owned CF/39 MS back only has 1200 or so shots on it, and was the demo back of one of Hasselblad's tech gurus.

What will be interesting is that I can eventually do a test of single-shot verses multi-shot that is as unfettered with anomalies as you can get. Literally everything exactly the same ... but shot the two different ways.

Should be interesting.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hope the test turns out ok Marc and you don't regret buying it.....
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Hope the test turns out ok Marc and you don't regret buying it.....
    Seen enough MS in use to know the outcome of any test before I even do one ...

I may be crazy, but I'm not dumb.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"

That's okay, we all need a little discipline from time-to-time ... or so I say now

-Marc

Thanks Marc for your friendly posting .

I am always very good in buying gear but was never good in selling gear .
    Therefore please tell me , where can I buy that "little discipline" .
    I have not seen any here in my supermarket .
    I wonder , if it is in slices or cubes or a bit like gunpowder

Regards Jürgen

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can use three monitors? How does that work?

-Marc
    Just wants one more than anyone else. He is a slut ya know.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Thanks Marc for your friendly posting .

I am always very good in buying gear but was never good in selling gear .
    Therefore please tell me , where can I buy that "little discipline" .
    I have not seen any here in my supermarket .
    I wonder , if it is in slices or cubes or a bit like gunpowder

Regards Jürgen
    Jurgen, they "hard sell" it at any Bank in the USA.

Of course, one can ignore it all and end up in a double-wide, dining on left over hot dogs and dehydrated refried beans.

I used to joke around about retiring to run a hot dog stand on the beach, and selling snap-shots of people with my world famous chile-dogs ... until I found out that beach vendor license runs about $150,000. on up. Maybe black-market hot dogs?

-Marc