The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WaHOO! Just added a multishot!

fotografz

After much research, including a tech geek at a university doing critical copy work of various art objects and such, I've decided to add a CF/39 Multishot to my H4D/40. I decided that going for a H4D/50 Multishot was just to expensive for the degree of applications I encounter needing that kind of performance .

It is a refurb unit from Hasselblad with less than 3000 shots on it. I got it with a 1.5 year warranty and two iAdapters

One of the main reason for this direction is use of the back on most any camera I wish.

... one iAdapter for my H2F, which unlike a H2 will provide full access to the 28mm and 35-90 zoom, HTS/1.5 and DAC corrections in Phocus

... and a second iAdapter to use on my Mamiya RZ Pro-II which can also do Multishot ... the Mamiya has all sorts of speciality lenses and accessories I can use for creative applications in studio.

I already have a Rollei Xact-II with a KaptureGroup sliding adapter in H mount and a set of digitar lenses. I'll need a Rollei electronic shutter eventually to use it with Multishot.

Multishot for studio, and the H4D/40 for location and people work.

I'm done. And I seriously mean it this time (he says as he pulls his pockets inside out :ROTFL: )

-Report on results to follow.

-Marc

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm done.
-Marc
BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHahahahahahahahahaha!

(While I understand that comment 110% given the present set of circumstances, I simply cannot resist expressing my longer term doubts! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:)

Seriously though, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

jlm

Workshop Member
can't wait to hear how you like it and how well it works. I just started reading about MS and the non-Bayer, non-de-mosaic advantages and am still digesting how it works. from what I can tell, you make four shots, one for red, blue and two for green, with the sensor shifting one pixel each time. that should produce four identical images of full 39mpx each, except that each has been color filtered.
then Phocus can assemble the four into a single 39mpx shot with non-interpolated RGB values.

I'm still not sure where the rgb filtering happens...

I may go lean on a friend who works at the Met and see if i can get a viewing in their photo studio

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

By the above process, each pixel is essentially true-color capture created by the 4x sampled RGGB exposure on it, so you get an essentially per-pixel, non-Bayer color result. This improves detail via increased inter-pixel contrast, improves color as it effectively eliminates de-Bayering algorithms, and then of course renders better overall tonality due to the more accurate per-pixel color number.

The result was pretty significantly improved on the original 17 and 22 MP backs that adopted the technology, like doubling the effective resolution and improving color accuracy by a few bits per channel. While de-Bayering algorithms have improved significantly since then, and pixel density has increased, the net difference is not quite as prominent, but definitely still there. I suspect Marc is probably going to see on the order of a 25% or 30% effective net gain in usable resolution, and marginally improved color.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Marc,

my sincere congratulations! Fully understand that you are done now, but you will see the difference!

Great H System you have now, enjoy and keep showing us results here, so I can at least plan to slowly follow :)

T.Karma

I already have a Rollei Xact-II with a KaptureGroup sliding adapter in H mount and a set of digitar lenses. I'll need a Rollei electronic shutter eventually to use it with Multishot.

-Marc
Congrats. :thumbup:

And a :thumbs: when you find someone to provide the cable to connect the Rollei Lenscontrol with the back.

Please let us know how are you going to do the setup between back - Rollei shutter and Lenscontrol device.

I do have a X-act2 as well and look forward to put it to work.

cheers

fotografz

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHahahahahahahahahaha!

(While I understand that comment 110% given the present set of circumstances, I simply cannot resist expressing my longer term doubts! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:)

Seriously though, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:
:D

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks jack.

my guess was the true RGGB values per pixel rather than an interpolated result from looking at neighbors would be the major improvement

T.Karma

:)

Can I point you towards my advice in this thread ;)

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14580

Congratulations!

BTW a Friend of mine is trying to copy the cable for the lenscontrol to the back maybe he can make more. He still has my backup cable. I think I will ask him to return it one of these days.
Dustbak,

Good that you speak up. :)
Concerning the cable for the lenscontrol: Will it connect to Phase and Leaf backs or just the H'blad's? In that case I will be interested as well. Me too, please! :)

Dustbak

It is the generic one coming from the Lenscontrol S to whatever other short cable that hence goes into the back. I currently have on for the Ixpress, the CF, the Sinar 54H & the Jenoptik.

T.Karma

It is the generic one coming from the Lenscontrol S to whatever other short cable that hence goes into the back. I currently have on for the Ixpress, the CF, the Sinar 54H & the Jenoptik.
:eek: Now, please dont tell me you have that many backs.

Dustbak

:eek: Now, please dont tell me you have that many backs.
I used to but currently only 2. There is only so much you can use at the same time. I know how hard it is to find the right cables so if I have them I tend to hang on to them. You never know.

fotografz

Congrats. :thumbup:

And a :thumbs: when you find someone to provide the cable to connect the Rollei Lenscontrol with the back.

Please let us know how are you going to do the setup between back - Rollei shutter and Lenscontrol device.

I do have a X-act2 as well and look forward to put it to work.

cheers
I'll leave that to my dealer to figure out and find. He is amazing when it comes to stuff like that. He was formally head of tech for a major car studio and is wired into all kinds of resources that I'd never know about. But I have time to find it all, because I am out of funds for studio gear ;)

-Marc

fotografz

I was most interested in user feed back from geeks that basically talked over my head concerning color accuracy right from the MS camera. Man, talk about pixel peepers. This is relatively important to me for some of my work ... like shooting fabrics for General Motors. Increased detail won't hurt either, but my H3D-II/39 was adequate to that task even in single shot ... but better is always better. :thumbup:

I decided to grab this deal because the back just returned from being refurbished Denmark, was very low in actuations to start with ... and most importantly fit my remaining budget :ROTFL:

I had waited to see if Hassey was going to do a CF/50 MS, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen now because the focus is more on the integrated systems cameras. Basically CF or CFH backs are the only ones that'll work on my H2F and provide all the modern advantages of the firmware and software ... the H2F also takes film backs when I want to shoot B&W film. I have been waiting to get a digital back for the H2F so I can upgrade the firmware without sending it in to Hasselblad to do it.

The "fun part will be that the CFs work on other cameras for more "creative" lens possibilities ... Mamiya RZ lenses like the Soft Focus 180 portrait lens, the fisheye, the excellent 210 APO, even the T/S adapter ... the rotating back of the RZ makes it workable in studio. The old war horse comes back to life yet once again :thumbup: The thing has more lives than a cat.

What remains to be seen now that I have the HTS/1.5, is whether I will need the Rollei view camera for what applications I use T/S for. I don't do architectural or landscape work where I'd need the 28mm digital view lens and full corrections. In fact, I think I used that lens twice since I got it. May be time to just blow out that whole system to someone that'd get more use out of it. We'll see.

-Marc