Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A few S2 things

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A few S2 things

Obviously we all know I can get a S2 shipped overnight from leica or other sources if i need to do that testing which BTW we already have in the past and will in the future if needed and yes the newest firmware has addressed some things as well which is awesome but I do have to agree with Steve and Thomas we are talking latest and greatest and no one on the planet I know of shoots a P45+ for fashion and the p30+ has been the main stay of the rental market in that segment along with Hassy H31 . The new breed of backs will take the rental market over in time as the old ones get filtered out P40+, Leaf and Hassy H40 and hopefully the S2 but if you want to talk rental market you also need to talk investment from the rental companies buying theses systems and what rents more and are they ready to start upgrading to the new breed 40mpx backs and S2. They all have there numbers to go by and will determine what systems and what backs make the most sense and value to them as well. This stuff is real money

The rental market is not the only concern here it is the buyers as well. Outside the MAJOR markets we have to own them. Honestly even here in Phoenix with 4 million people renting a back is not a easy chore and i will not rent one at 600 per day either. Rather buy the system and rent the 35mm systems as needed . But that is me and knowing my area it is better to purchase these systems.

Anyway we have to compare to the latest and greatest systems that are equal to each other and if not it just is bad information and that is not good either. The S2 is right in line with the H40 , newest leaf and Phase P40+ since they all are not only the newest but in this case the fastest there is both in shooting speed and tethering speed and all around the 40 mpx mark. Some will obviously have advantages in certain areas and some will not and the end of the day we as buyers have to figure out what system works best for them. Honestly myself it does not matter what people buy as long as they understand what each system can do for them and what it cannot do than I feel as a forum owner , pro photographer , workshop instructor I feel I did my job of giving out that information on what I know of each system. If i don't know what a system does i ask for help from those reps that are here. I do it all the time as well and did it this morning when I posted the Elinchrom/ LS lens. I asked Doug and Steve for accuracy just to be sure I don't misinform someone which is my biggest pet peeve on forums. I feel as good as the P45+ it is not in the same technology curve as the newer backs. It is the best there is no question about it king of the hill long exposure back but it is not what I would consider a general all around back like the P30+ and P40+ which are different and more in line to what a S2 is
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will say one thing in favor of the Lightroom solution ...

Each new version of LR gets better and better ... and as far as speed is concerned, there are far more advantages than are being discussed here.

For example ... PS, Nik plug-ins, and by extension any PS plug-in is immediately available without processing the file outside of the RAW processor library. In this manner, LR is the over-all speed king from start to finish. Not needed by everyone, but has become essential for shooters like me.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the S2 being bundled with Lightroom 3 is a good thing for some of the reasons Marc has mentioned. I really like the workflow and, generally, the conversions are great.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone knows when the 35mm and 120mm is really available? It seems there are no lens available except 70 and 180... sorry but this Leica delivery times are a bad joke.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have a 35mm on the shelf ready to ship.

120mm - not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    We have a 35mm on the shelf ready to ship.
    Nice but i like to purchase it in my country... and there is unfortunately nothing available...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xpixel View Post
    Anyone knows when the 35mm and 120mm is really available? It seems there are no lens available except 70 and 180... sorry but this Leica delivery times are a bad joke.
    according to leica the 120mm lens will ship after fotokina. they did not say how much after though. i have the feeling that the 24mm and the zoom will not ship in the beginning of 2011, rather mid or -even more likely- late 2011.
    uffa.....
    peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm an admitted Leica fan, but I have to agree with the sentiment that the roll-out of the S lenses is painful to watch from the sidelines ... if I owned the S2, I'd be about ready to jump off of a ledge.

Hopefully an updated lens roll-out forecast will be available at Photokina.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    I'm an admitted Leica fan, but I have to agree with the sentiment that the roll-out of the S lenses is painful to watch from the sidelines ... if I owned the S2, I'd be about ready to jump off of a ledge.

Hopefully an updated lens roll-out forecast will be available at Photokina.

Kurt
    Right there with you Kurt it really pains me to see this roll out. I was really hoping they would understand the need to deliver quickly on a new system. I just feel bad for the users. Hopefully Photokinia will have some answers or better yet deliver glass.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

- 2.5/120 (apo macro)
    - vertical grip
    - hand strap
    - "pro" battery charger

google translation:
    http://tinyurl.com/363prty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New firmware for the S2 was released today. The email I received from Leica only mentioned the firmware was to ensure optimum performance with the 120 macro. I don't know if there is anything else in the update. I will check it out later today.
    Last edited by Mark Gowin; 17th September 2010 at 10:48. Reason: Correct typo

Post Thanks / Like

New Firmware is working fine. Seems only for the new 120 mm lens and no other changes...

Post Thanks / Like

So it seems there is no new S2 lens at Photokina from Leica...

Post Thanks / Like

Today i purchased the new LFI magazine (http://lfi-online.de/ceemes//page/sh..._language__=en) and there is an article about the new things from the Leica S2 in the future:

- an adapter for Hasselblad V and Pentax 6x7

- new firmware with smaller DNG files

- clipping function in the menu

- a new S2 with double size internal buffer memory (25 pictures vs. 10 pictures now)

- a 24mm and a 30mm lens

- and far away a zoom lens
    Last edited by xpixel; 21st September 2010 at 03:09.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not so sure about a new S2 with a larger internal buffer. From what Doug posted on the Capture Integration blog:

"I’m glad to say that the new firmware shown to us today is a large step forward. Leica has managed to include lossless DNG compression, which I think is an impressive improvement to be able to incorporate through firmware update of an existing camera system. This means each raw file will be approximately half as large with no loss in quality (think ZIP compression). All current Phase One and Leaf digital backs use lossless compressed raw files and the lack of this option/feature makes it nearly twice as hard for the S2 to keep up during rapid tethered shooting. By adding this option the Leica S2 will

seem to have a larger buffer since more frames can fit into the same sized buffer
    transmit the raw file to the computer faster
    fit more images on any given CF card"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes a very good decision to compress the DNG. Was to hard on buffer to shoot otherwise. This will improve several things. Faster tether faster buffer which should increase continous shooting buffer. More images to card and faster downloads. All good stuff and should help it a great deal.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some additional info on current and upcoming improvements to the S2 can be found on David Farkas' blog. Looks like Adobe and Leica have a strong working relationship and are addressing some of the speed and profile issues that have been raised. The new split prism focusing screen is something that would appeal strongly to me and I really like the fact that Leica is going to be developing it's own lens adapters for Hassy and Pentax 67 lenses. Aftermarket third party adapters have been a hit or miss proposition in my experience.

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    ...I really like the fact that Leica is going to be developing it's own lens adapters for Hassy and Pentax 67 lenses.
    A very smart move IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree and I am glad to see Leica is making an effort to broaden the appeal of the S2. It really is a nice camera to use and sadly its use is currently limited to a small lens selection. Leica adapters to other lens mounts will help solve the limited lens selection problem much faster than Leice can design and produce new S lens. Also, manual focus on the S2 is a pleasure with the big bright viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How long will this lens adapters take to put in place any word on that. I agree nice to have some lens options but the S lenses should be in place now anyway. I feel for the S2 owners at this point waiting. I know I could not wait it out but give credit to those that have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, the small S lens selection (4 lenses) is already more than I can afford so it is not a problem for me. However, adapters could offer more variety in focal lengths and price points until I can afford - and Leica produces - the S lens line-up I want.

I know I am not the typical market Leica is targeting for the S2 so my opinion is just that - mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    How long will this lens adapters take to put in place any word on that. I agree nice to have some lens options but the S lenses should be in place now anyway. I feel for the S2 owners at this point waiting. I know I could not wait it out but give credit to those that have.
    what is so special about the pentax and hassy lenses?..guess they are feeling some pressure, finally.. make an adapter of the rollei/schneider mount or for those misguided souls, the mamiya mount... and while I am on it.. if they can machine a titanium m9 they can hobble together some sort of extender/adapt for the r mount..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well it is not really a matter of affordability but availability but do understand the need issue and not needing everything. The option for V and Pentax is actually awesome. It can get you over the hump waiting but more than that you have a option in backup which for the S system it is very hard to do because lack of legacy. This helps a great deal as you have something to turn too. Mark you may want to look at the 6x7 glass as that was really nice in it's day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulmoore View Post
    what is so special about the pentax and hassy lenses?..guess they are feeling some pressure, finally.. make an adapter of the rollei/schneider mount or for those misguided souls, the mamiya mount... and while I am on it.. if they can machine a titanium m9 they can hobble together some sort of extender/adapt for the r mount..
    Well it could very well be a proprietary issue here with licensing on different brands. Or it could be a simple these are the only ones compatible to work with the S mount and that maybe more the issue. Not sure here

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulmoore View Post
    To adapt a lens to another system in a practical** way you must:
    - use a lens which is built for a larger format than the body you are adapting it to*
    - use a lens with manual control (physical dials) of aperture

Hassy V and Pentax lenses have manual aperture stop down and were built for 6x6 / 6x7 bodies.

*technically all that matters is flange distance, but if you know that then you don't need the above simple explanation anyway
    **practical in this case meaning you want to be able to focus at infinity and you want to be able to shoot at apertures other than wide-open - if not you can ignore these rules

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Dear friends,
    do you know in which Leica shop in Europe are the Summarit-S 2,5/35 and Summarit-S 2,5/120 lenses respectively available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well it could very well be a proprietary issue here with licensing on different brands. Or it could be a simple these are the only ones compatible to work with the S mount and that maybe more the issue. Not sure here
    Guy

A third party adapter for Hassy V lenses is already on the market. It works very well. I have been shooting some images with my Hassy 110 2.0, a fabulous lens as most folks already know. It makes waiting for the 120 from Leica very bearable. No AF though (of course). I would love to see a hassy V 40 CFE IF on this adapter with the S2. Again it would make the wait for the Leica 35 more bearable.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was not impressed with the 40mm CFE i bought. Maybe a bad copy not sure but soft corners. The 110 would be worth the adapter trick.

These lens prices are killer though , really keeping me far away from this system 5 or 6 k each and i need 5 is not working with my bank account. Oh well see what the S3 brings to the table. Frankly right now rather have a M9 and my Phase kit. That would be a nice combo