The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few S2 things

tashley

Subscriber Member
if i do, then my decision will certainly NOT be based on the recent review in LL,
which borders the ridiculous.
ihope you enjoy the HTS1.5....
peter
Hi Peter,
Not sure I agree with you there; I'm currently on a P65+ / DF combo and an M9 and as you know I shot and printed a lot with the S2 I had for a while. Aside from the issues I had with the sensors on mine I agree 100% with Dubovoy at LuLa. Though I must add that my 110 LS lens is incredible on the Phase setup, with almost psychic focus...

I probably won't go back to the S2 because there's not enough clear water between it and the M9 at very large print sizes compared to the M9/P65+ team and because of the tech cam needs I have but I think there will be a number of people who do reverse earlier S2 sales and I for one wouldn't question their sanity at all!

Best
Tim

markowich

tim,
i was poised to pick up the S2, 70mm, 180mm and 35mm lenses tomorrow but today my dealer in vienna (who treats me extremely well) told me that leica just cancelled the promised delivery of the 35mm lens to him without any indication on an actual delivery date. i need a wide angle lens to be able to take the S system on upcoming trips to india etc, so it will be D3x again...
funny way to treat customers. another leica let down.
peter
ps: i feel that D3x clearly tops the M9 in IQ, on screen and in print. D3x files are very elastic to PP and print beautifully.

That is a shame Peter. I would have liked to hear your opinion of the 35mm. A trip to India with it would have given you good real world opportunity to see how it performs.

Paratom

Long delivery times is one thing but not being able to say when one gets delivery or to say and not hold it without informing more early is annoying.

As an automitive machine supplier we would be out of business after 6 months if we would treat our customers the same way.

I really like Leica products but it still seems they have not understood some basic rules of business and customer relationship.

Specially for S2 customer I would expect a different response than for a 200$ digicam. If they want to sell to Pros than they should also treat them professionally.

robmac

Peter,

That sucks. While having the D3x for a fall-back is not exactly wailing and gnashing of teeth time, having the rug pulled out from under a new system gear-up at the 11th hr just sucks. As Mark indicates the challenges (traveling, heat, dust, humidity), detail and color-rich environment of India would have been a great real world test for you.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Truly that sucks. It would certainly annoy the hell out of me and disappoint me but I hope you have a great trip anyway!

markowich

Truly that sucks. It would certainly annoy the hell out of me and disappoint me but I hope you have a great trip anyway!
thanks friends,
i called leica and after looking into the matter they promised delivery of the 35mm S lens by monday.....i have confidence that it will happen. will report back afterwards.
peter

jonoslack

thanks friends,
i called leica and after looking into the matter they promised delivery of the 35mm S lens by monday.....i have confidence that it will happen. will report back afterwards.
peter
Good Luck Peter
and have a fantastic trip.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
What is Image Shuttle Software?

Thanks,

Mitchell
The Leica Image Shuttle is software than allows for tethered operation of the S2. The interface gives control of any setting on the camera (focus, aperture, shutter, mirror-up, EV comp, shooting mode, WB, ISO, etc.) and lets the user fire the camera remotely. It then moves shots from the camera to a hot folder, which a program like C1 or LR will pick up and import.

This update covered just a few minor bug fixes.

David

tjv

It's amazing how solidly built the S2 looks. It also seems so much more refined than the Phase / Hassey offerings. I say "seems" because I have not yet used one personally. I have used the Mamiya and Hassey bodies, and I wouldn't call either of them refined in terms of design and function. I'm looking forward to testing one next week, so hopefully I can report about some first hand experiences soon.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
An email from a friend and fellow Leica (m) shooter, but clearly not a fanboy:

See how good I am: no posts about the S2. I mean, Leica doesn't owe it to their customers to provide a processor that optimizes its files. If you want processing, get a Phase or a Hassy. Leicas are weatherproof."

I post this because I find it a humorous anecdote about the crux of the problem as I see it: the Leica S is not yet a complete system.

tjv

Having now used the S2, I can safely say I'm impressed with it. For me, it handles far easier than the H or AFD style cameras and for a lot of my work weather proofing is essential - especially at this price level. Leica might not provide specialized software, but they have certainly designed and produced a very well thought out piece of kit. My only real gripe is the menu system and jogger wheel, but that's a story for another day after I've spent more time with it.

narikin

Having now used the S2, I can safely say I'm impressed with it. For me, it handles far easier than the H or AFD style cameras and for a lot of my work weather proofing is essential - especially at this price level. Leica might not provide specialized software, but they have certainly designed and produced a very well thought out piece of kit.
Very much agree with this, and I think nearly everyone does - its a welcome addition to MF world, with fantastic build quality and usability, much better than the H or AFD or DF type cameras.

I hope other manufacturers take notice - what chance a ZD mk2, with build quality inspired by the S2, but with Phase's P65+ sensor in it! Or a 'tweener' Canon? Perchance to Dream...

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Having now used the S2, I can safely say I'm impressed with it. For me, it handles far easier than the H or AFD style cameras and for a lot of my work weather proofing is essential - especially at this price level. Leica might not provide specialized software, but they have certainly designed and produced a very well thought out piece of kit. My only real gripe is the menu system and jogger wheel, but that's a story for another day after I've spent more time with it.
Good to hear you got a chance to get your hands on the camera.

You may want to check out a series of viedos we posted on YouTube a few days ago. They serve as a visual manual for the S2 and are broken down by each menu, as well as things like setting custom functions or changing shooting modes. The menu system with the clickable scroll wheel actually becomes very natural and very quick with just a bit of practice. At first, it definitely feels different than other cameras though.

The videos are on our YouTube channel at http://www.YouTube.com/user/dalephotoanddigital

Best of luck with your test. :thumbup:

David

ptomsu

Workshop Member
An email from a friend and fellow Leica (m) shooter, but clearly not a fanboy:

See how good I am: no posts about the S2. I mean, Leica doesn't owe it to their customers to provide a processor that optimizes its files. If you want processing, get a Phase or a Hassy. Leicas are weatherproof."

I post this because I find it a humorous anecdote about the crux of the problem as I see it: the Leica S is not yet a complete system.
Jack,

this reflects my feelings and observations fully. I currently have the luxury of perfect SW for my MFD system (H) with Phocus - yes we can discuss if C1 Pro is better or Phocus, but as a user of both I would rate Phocus on a level which is satisfying my needs.

Leica for their S System rely on LR - and they did not even manage to get their strengths being implemented fully in LR after almost a year on the market.

I do really hope this happens sooner than later for the S System. And YES, then it would be appealing enough for me to jump into it ;)

tjv

Good to hear you got a chance to get your hands on the camera.

You may want to check out a series of viedos we posted on YouTube a few days ago. They serve as a visual manual for the S2 and are broken down by each menu, as well as things like setting custom functions or changing shooting modes. The menu system with the clickable scroll wheel actually becomes very natural and very quick with just a bit of practice. At first, it definitely feels different than other cameras though.

The videos are on our YouTube channel at http://www.YouTube.com/user/dalephotoanddigital

Best of luck with your test. :thumbup:

David
Thanks David, I should have looked at those videos yesterday! Actually, the only thing that bugged me was I couldn't figure out how to assign the AF to the rear button instead of the shutter release. Not that I looked too hard... That alone would have made the shooting experience a heck of a lot easier.

What I learnt is the camera is a dream and I'd definitely buy one if I had that kind of money. Maybe in six months. The only thing I can really say is that to get your moneys worth you really do need absolutely perfect technique. The resolution is so high, and the depth of field so slim at wider apertures, it's easy to see the slightest of focus errors and camera movement.

tjv

Update:

I have made several 66x100cm prints from some S2 files now and I'm truly amazed at the quality of image in print. It's one thing to be looking at photos on a screen, but a beautiful print is a different experience all together. To compare, I printed a similar photo scanned using a Nikon 9000ED (which arrived on Friday after a six month wait!) from a 6x7cm Reala 100ISO neg to see what the difference might be at intended output. There was little in it, to be honest. The S2 had a MILE more detail, especially in the shadows, and better subtle tonal differentiation, but the film scan and print had a subtle texture and quality that was just plain different. Hard to really compare. I'm used to prints from film, but neither was better or worse aesthetically, just different.

All in all, I'd say cameras like the S2 and similar MF offerings, if my limited tests are anything to go by, are at an amazing level of image quality, far beyond what most people need or are even capable of consistently exploiting. In my personal opinion, although the S2 might not be the most complete system, it's the closest shooting experience to my Mamiya 7 - an all day shooter, ergonomically more suited to my way of working. Now, if only I had a suitcase full of $$$.