The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD for IR?

Paul David

Has anyone tried using a P45+ back with an IR filter such as the 072? There was one such note quite a while ago on the LL board that while this worked for the P45 the built in IR filter was too effective to allow enough IR through. If anyone has this combination of the IR filter and P45+ I'd be most appreciative if you could give it a try.

Thanks.

Paul

J

jaspersf

Yes, a very old thread, but....

Did anybody figure out the best way to use a ZD for IR? How to fashion an IR pass filter to insert over the sensor? I'd love to avoid covering the lens with an IR filter...

I just bought a Mamiya ZD body, my first foray into digital MF and realized that the removable IR cut filter provides a great opportunity to shoot IR like i did with film a long time ago.

Thanks,

Jay

FPL

I'm now trying to use Mamiya ZD Back with IR cut filter removed.
With 630nm IR filter it can produce nice false color images:
The GetDPI Photography Forums - FPL's Album: IR pictures on Mamiya ZD

For B&W conversion is better to use 720nm filter, where is IR effect stronger. Above that it's going worse - probably because chip sensitivity is lower at those freqs.

BTW. With 3 stops down and B&W 486 filter is ZD Back with removed filter almost usable to take normal pictures - only white blance should be later corrected.
Tiffan Hot mirror filter produced worse results - some IR is passing and it affects image.

bigfish007

I bought an extra blank IR cut filter frame from Mamiya Usa and had Spencer Camera fabricate a filter to fit. You can see my Mamiya ZD IR images in my gallery here. Im using the 830um IR filter. You have to experiment with shutter speeds a bit but I usually use a -2 EV compensation and its helps.