Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 22mpx systems

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 22mpx systems

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    There is a Sinar eMotion22 on ebay with what looks like a Rollei 6008 adapter (which is worth a bit by itself). Check with the buyer and as always caveat emptor.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320251895718
    Thanks for the heads up Graham.

The last two backs I've seen on ebay (sold in Germany, and Switzerland) have both been 'cash on collection' and/or 'bank transfer'. I can understand why the seller might take approaches like these, but it doesn't inspire confidence when contemplating sending (or carrying) large amounts of money into foreign countries. The thought quite scares me!

Post Thanks / Like

I would feel the same way but there are workarounds in these situations. Contact a local law firm in the seller's town (agreed to by both parties) to act as an escrow agent, for example. Or fly there but don't withdraw the money until you are with the seller and have inspected the goods. If you have a visa card attached to the account with the funds, some banks will allow you to withdraw a large amount of cash over the counter as a visa transaction using appropriate ID. (I have personally withdrawn around $5K this way). It would probably help to pre-arrange this with the relevant branch to avoid problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post
    Thanks for the link, Chris. This stuff looks interesting, but it's not quite what I was after.

There must be a standard way of, say, reducing EV by one by technical means, not by sight, e.g. reduce contrast by x% and brightness by y%. Rather than having to find these things out for myself , surely someone has already produced a methodology for doing these things? A better example from film processing might be pre-exposure of the neg to raise low-level detail. How do I accomplish an equivalent accurately and consistently in digital?

What I need is a film-to-digital technique convertor!

Cheers,

Graham.
    Hi Graham:

Digital workflow process is very big part of what we teach in our workshops here at GetDPI, and since so many of our folks are coming from strong film backgrounds, we relate a lot of the raw processing adjustments in terms that will allow for an easy transition from the film side. We also cover localized image adjustment and enhancement techniques in Photoshop as they relate to traditional forms of print manipulation.

And BTW, emulating a film pre-flash is pretty easy in raw -- though this traditional step is actually enhanced significantly with proper use of the digital "fill" and "black" sliders. Once you get a look you like, you can save it a pre-set, and of course you can have multiple pre-sets

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Sinar eMotion22 on ebay with what looks like a Rollei 6008 adapter (which is worth a bit by itself). Check with the buyer and as always caveat emptor.
    The original listing was too expensive for me - and for everyone else as no-one bid! It was re-listed at a much more appropriate price, and after two of us bid in the last 40 seconds (or so), I lost - by 2 Euros.
    To say I was disappointed is an understatement!

Graham.

Post Thanks / Like

The original listing was too expensive for me - and for everyone else as no-one bid! It was re-listed at a much more appropriate price, and after two of us bid in the last 40 seconds (or so), I lost - by 2 Euros.
    To say I was disappointed is an understatement!

Graham.
    I saw what happened and I was wondering who snapped it up! Sorry you missed out. You might think you lost out by only 2 euros but there's no way you can tell what the max bid of the highest bidder was.

Post Thanks / Like

You might think you lost out by only 2 euros but there's no way you can tell what the max bid of the highest bidder was.
    If you look at the bidding, our initial bids were very close; his was 2 euros more than mine. He must then have realised someone else was bidding and upped his bid (to an uknown quantity, which I was not going to follow). So theoretically (plenty of ifs here), if I had bidded a few euros higher, and bidded later (perhaps by using using one of those sneaky auto-bidding tools) he wouldn't have had chance to place his second bid, and the back would be mine (insert maniacal laugh...)

Not that I'm sour!

Post Thanks / Like

Another Sinar eMotion22 is on ebay. Only 80% positive feedback. I'd do my homework and arrange personal pickup. Could turn out to be a bargain for someone: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:SS:GB:1123

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

80 percent is not very good on 44 sales that means he screwed up what 9 of them . Not great
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another Sinar eMotion22 is on ebay. Only 80% positive feedback. I'd do my homework and arrange personal pickup. Could turn out to be a bargain for someone: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:SS:GB:1123
    I don't know the seller, and have no interest in the person or listing, but I looked at the feedback and it doesn't look as bad as would be implied by a rating of 80%. All positive (44) though one neutral against four positive in the last 12 months. We all have to be diligent in our eBay evaluations, and I always read as many specific feedback remarks as I can, rather than going by a percentage score.

BTW: I'm not suggesting that Graham meant anything more of the 80% rating. But the low rating made me curious and I wanted to see why it was such.

Cheers.

Correction: I think two neutrals total, but only one as a seller and one as a buyer. Otherwise positives. Just FYI.
    Last edited by Dale Allyn; 3rd June 2008 at 16:11. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also, eBay has recently revised it feedback policies -- only BUYERS can leave feedback now. And it's about time so you don't have the whole retaliatory feedback issue to deal with, so I suspect we'll be seeing more honest feedback.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree and you need to look into things and see what they are about . I got one bad one because my son bought something by mistake and i sent a note and this lady went ape **** over it and my nasty reply did not help. Sent her the check and told her to stuff it and keep the product herself. Can you imagine she did not like my New Jersey attitude . What a pansy. LOL Stuff happens sometimes but I would contact the seller get the serial number check and see if it is stolen and stuff like that. BTW many folks like Phase and i am sure Sinar and such if inquiring about a back and have the serial number usually they have the history of it and I know Phase will look into it for you. i am sure Sinar and Hassy can do the same things but folks should look into stuff before they drop a big amount of money.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Also, eBay has recently revised it feedback policies -- only BUYERS can leave feedback now. And it's about time so you don't have the whole retaliatory feedback issue to deal with, so I suspect we'll be seeing more honest feedback.
    Jack,

Isn't that only buyers can leave "negative" feedback? But that sellers still leave feedback? Otherwise, if one is only buying how do they get more feedback status?

I agree that this is a much better approach now.

Post Thanks / Like

I've picked up a 132C to use with my Rollei 6008i. I think I would've preferred a Sinarback, but that's how it goes.

Problem is, every now and again (too frequently, to be honest) it messes up the camera electronics (e.g. the aperture setting gets 'stuck'), and I usually have to turn the camera off and back on to clear it.
    It may be down to timings that need changing, but I wouldn't know where to start.

As well as that the self-timer can't be used 'coz the back fires as soon as the release is pressed, not when the shutter opens.

Anyone here had any experience with this combo? Any problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the information in this thread.
    I was just about to make a decision towards P25 with Mamiya setup (or ZD) that I started to learn from this forum.

Why doesn't someone give the *typical* prices for these, so comparisons may have some more value. The list prices are misleading, and contacting each and every agent is loss of time. I don't need to know special prices given for Pro's, but just the normal range.

If possible, can these be the prices in U.S.A. The local agents here (and probably in Europe as well) give the same prices as in USA, except in Euro's. That makes a small difference of only 55%!

Best regards

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I've picked up a 132C to use with my Rollei 6008i. I think I would've preferred a Sinarback, but that's how it goes.

Problem is, every now and again (too frequently, to be honest) it messes up the camera electronics (e.g. the aperture setting gets 'stuck'), and I usually have to turn the camera off and back on to clear it.
    It may be down to timings that need changing, but I wouldn't know where to start.

As well as that the self-timer can't be used 'coz the back fires as soon as the release is pressed, not when the shutter opens.

Anyone here had any experience with this combo? Any problems?
    Just in case this is of use to future readers...

With the 132C (I don't know about others), you have to set a shutter speed on the back. In my case it was changing this speed that caused the problem. The nice people at Hasselblad told me (contrary to what the manual says!) I can leave it at 1/8th unless I am using a speed slower than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 22mpx systems vs. film

I'm currently using Mamiya 645 Pro SD with slide film, usually 100 ISO. I scan with Nikon 9000ED.

In 35mm camera systems, my 12MP D300 gives more resolution, less noise, and better prints at 40X60cm, so I had to put away the film cameras (except for some nostalgic moments, when I still use film).

In the MF case, do you think that the 22MP systems are better in terms of resolution/noise/printing (again nothing bigger than 40cm width) than a MF film (like 100G) scanned with the same scanner? I have no possibility of trying a 22MP digital back in Istanbul.

I have already decided to buy a MF digital back, but not sure whether it may be a 22MP back or the P30+, (actually a Phase One system to continue using my existing lenses, and film too).

Not being a professional, and taking landscape photos, some documentary interior shots (ancient places etc), but participating in exhibitions with at most 40cm prints, I need your recommendations about 22 or 30 MP backas.

Thanks in advance,

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a tough call between the P25 and P30 plus backs . i had a hard time with this myself. But i chose the P25 and several reasons why . One there is no crop factor , second i can use this on a shifting camera or view camera without color casts The downside if you call it one is ISO 800. The P30 plus has ISO to 1600 but is a crop factor back, has micro lenses which will create a color cast with the view camera / shifting camera but the micro lenses will reduce or eliminate moire. The P30 plus is also about a thousand cheaper. it is more designed at the Fashion /wedding shooter and it has a smaller micron sensor . The P25 is a 9 micron sensor . For some reason i like the 9 micron sensor , I have it in my head that it is better and not sure exactly why but I felt the P25 has a touch more DR and saturation in the files. That is my feeling and can be proven wrong maybe. I only had them together for a couple days but that was my impression. Looking at what you shoot you may lean more to the P25 plus. Because of the full frame mainly. Either one is just flat outstanding though and will not regret getting either one . i just like the P25 plus better but that is me.